BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls Solo Singles Rate: RESULTS, Edited the results + full results revealed
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post Nov 30 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #141
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh I think Victoria made a huge mistake not going with more garage sounding tracks, it was clearly a good formula for her and might have got her that elusive #1. Obviously she was never going to get it agains CGYOOMH by kylie but she could have done with further singles.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 30 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #142
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

She was stupid not to include it on her album .

I live OOYM , her songs prog got more high scores because she only had 5 to choose from.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Dec 1 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #143
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

She was unlucky, most other weeks and it would've topped the charts since it had massive first week sales. Too bad really

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Dec 1 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #144
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I reckon 'Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)' only sold so massively as a negative response to Victoria's over exposure.

If she'd just been a little less showy (fewer glossy covers, fewer gold thrones), the public may have been more receptive.

To me, 'Out Of Your Mind' was an excellent fit for her. I will forever imitate that choreography.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 1 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #145
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

My little white lies tell a story

#07. Geri Halliwell - Look At Me [8.425]

Highest Scores: 10: (SamJudd, Hide&Seek, vibe, Jay, engineer, LazySpice88, Schizo Spice, liamk97), 9.5/9: (Michael Andrew, Lukuzz, Spiceboy, HarryApa, Supercell, letloverrule)
Lowest Scores: 4: (Mr.X), 6.5/6: (missingyou, breezyspice, Jonjo)

At #7 is the last but one Geri Halliwell single to feature here, 'Look At Me' which was released in May 1999 as the lead single from her debut album 'Schizophonic' and marked her first solo venture since leaving the Spice Girls and Geri had chosen this as she felt that it was the one to return her to the mainstream market and in it's week of release it was up against Boyzone's 'You Needed Me' and despite a close battle Geri lost out by 700 copies and settled for the runner up spot, which disappointed her as she felt that her career would be over in 6 months, but that wasn't the case as she would top the charts with her next few releases.

This is a really good debut single and Geri was right to release this as the lead single as she claims 'Ginger isn't dead' and that's pretty spot on. It's everything you expect her to come back with: catchy, extravagant and different, while at the same time it's nothing that you'd expect if that makes any sense and in true Geri style it provides a funny look at life through her eyes and since her controversial exit from the UK's biggest girl group, she needed to come back with something strong to make a statement and what better way than to do it with this a pop song with some jazzy influences, as well as showing off some much improved vocals that's telling you that she's here to stay making this a triumphant return to the charts where she belongs.

She definitely succeeded in getting the attention that she wanted, as the song keeps the focus solely on herself with a tale of feeling empowered and not caring what the critics think, which I must say is a very risky but a bold move that could have backfired badly, but thankfully she had the goods to back it up and while this didn't top the charts like she hoped a #2 hit for a first single is a very good start and a 140,000 copies sold in it's first week wasn't too shabby at all. Another controversial note was in the music video where she had a funeral for her Ginger alter-ego which garnered a vast amount of attention, but that's Geri for you always one to cause a fuss and stir things up in some truly fashionable style. Another good aspect of this is that it's not a carbon copy of any of the Spice Girls singles and she could have easily played it safe and released something generic, thankfully she didn't and instead made a bold and brash pop song that stands as one the best solo releases.

The album would be released shortly after this and would also go on to be a commercial success by peaking at #4 on the charts and would go on to sell over 600,000 copies, earning a 2x Platinum certification along with 3 of the 4 singles topping the charts, this would go on to be the 2nd biggest selling solo Spice album after Melanie C's debut of course. So on the whole 'Look At Me' was definitely a perfect way to kick off this era with it's self reflective narrative and some fantastic production that makes this a well deserved success and would be the start of a very interesting career.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 2 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #146
   No Gallery Pics

Anyone want to take a guess at what #6 will be, here's what's left in chronological order of course =

Melanie C (Ft Bryan Adams) - When You're Gone
Melanie C (Ft Lisa "Left Eye" Lobes - Never Be The Same Again
Melanie C - I Turn To You
Geri Halliwell - Mi Chico Latino
Emma Bunton - What Took You So Long
Emma Bunton - Maybe

So as it stands there's just 3 members of the Spice Girls with singles remaining, Melanie C = 3, Geri Halliwell = 1 & Emma Bunton = 2. Victoria Beckham became the 2nd member following Mel B to lose all her singles. Despite only having 5 songs in this countdown, she held up really well with firstly all of them making the top 40, then having 2 in the top 10 and another one in the top 20, making that 3 in the top 20 while Mel B only managed to have 1 song in the top 20. So that's a fantastic result for her.

Here's a reminder of where all 5 of Victoria Beckham's singles have ended up in this countdown = (39th. A Mind Of It's Own, 23rd. Not Such An Innocent Girl, 12th. This Groove, 10th. Let Your Head Go & 8th. Out Of Your Mind).

Thanks to everybody who took part in the rate and another thank you for your patience as I know I'm only doing 1 of these a day, but it takes a lot out of me and I'd like to do a decent write up for every song in this rundown and don't wanna rush it and rather give my best effort. This will definitely be completed by the end of the next week and there's only 6 singles to go now, so everything will be revealed soon and another thanks to all your supportive comments in this thread and even me myself will be relieved with this is finally completed, BTW #6 will be posted Saturday mid-afternoon.

Just noticed I'm 8 pages in WOW, again thanks guys.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Dec 2 2017, 01:38 AM

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 2 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #147
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Dec 1 2017, 02:21 PM) *
I reckon 'Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)' only sold so massively as a negative response to Victoria's over exposure.

If she'd just been a little less showy (fewer glossy covers, fewer gold thrones), the public may have been more receptive.

To me, 'Out Of Your Mind' was an excellent fit for her. I will forever imitate that choreography.

Being showy and over the top certainly didn't hurt Geri in the earlier days.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 2 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #148
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Dec 2 2017, 12:32 AM) *
Anyone want to take a guess at what #6 will be, here's what's left in chronological order of course =

Melanie C (Ft Bryan Adams) - When You're Gone
Melanie C (Ft Lisa "Left Eye" Lobes - Never Be The Same Again
Emma Bunton - Maybe
So as it stands there's just 3 members of the Spice Girls with singles remaining, Melanie C = 3, Geri Halliwell = 1 & Emma Bunton = 2. Victoria Beckham became the 2nd member following Mel B to lose all her singles. Despite only having 5 songs in this countdown, she held up really well with firstly all of them making the top 40, then having 2 in the top 10 and another one in the top 20, making that 3 in the top 20 while Mel B only managed to have 1 song in the top 20. So that's a fantastic result for her.

Here's a reminder of where all 5 of Victoria Beckham's singles have ended up in this countdown = (39th. A Mind Of It's Own, 23rd. Not Such An Innocent Girl, 12th. This Groove, 10th. Let Your Head Go & 8th. Out Of Your Mind).

Thanks to everybody who took part in the rate and another thank you for your patience as I know I'm only doing 1 of these a day, but it takes a lot out of me and I'd like to do a decent write up for every song in this rundown and don't wanna rush it and rather give my best effort. This will definitely be completed by the end of the next week and there's only 6 singles to go now, so everything will be revealed soon and another thanks to all your supportive comments in this thread and even me myself will be relieved with this is finally completed, BTW #6 will be posted Saturday mid-afternoon.

Just noticed I'm 8 pages in WOW, again thanks guys.

I think you missed out I turn to you.

I think When you're gone or What took you so long will leave next, but they wouldn't be my personal choice. I'm delighted WYG has come this far it is well a truly one of my ultimate faves didn't realise it was so popular amongst solo Spice fans. Out of the remaining ones I would want Maybe to leave next but can't see that happening.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 2 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #149
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Dec 2 2017, 12:37 AM) *
I think you missed out I turn to you.

I think When you're gone or What took you so long will leave next, but they wouldn't be my personal choice. I'm delighted WYG has come this far it is well a truly one of my ultimate faves didn't realise it was so popular amongst solo Spice fans. Out of the remaining ones I would want Maybe to leave next but can't see that happening.

Just edited my post, thanks for pointing it out, of course 'I Turn To You' is also still in the running.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Dec 2 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #150
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Look At Me is fab! For sure my second favourite Geri song!

Hmm next out I predict; What Took You So Long!

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Dec 2 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #151
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Dec 2 2017, 12:32 AM) *
Being showy and over the top certainly didn't hurt Geri in the earlier days.

My recollection was that Geri practically disappeared from the public eye prior to her debut album campaign. While Victoria was constantly courting the media.

I don't begrudge that. As a fan, I ate it up. But in my opinion she may have been over-exposed, which may have cost her the number one spot. Just a thought really.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Dec 2 2017, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Dec 2 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #152
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Look at me is easily Geris best song . I love the video too.

How naive was it to not release on 2 cds . Would have beat boyzone if it was .

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Dec 2 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #153
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

If she'd released two versions of the single and it had gone to number 1 then everything after had happened as it did it would've been so amazing to be the first and only female artist to have her first 5 singles all reach number 1.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 3 2017, 01:12 AM
Post #154
   No Gallery Pics

I'm tired of being all alone

#06. Melanie C (Ft Bryan Adams) - When You're Gone [8.481]

Highest Scores: 11: (Jonjo), 10: (SamJudd, Michael Andrew, vibe, Spiceboy, HarryApa, breezyspice, LazySpice88, Jade)
Lowest Scores: 5: (JB2o20, Euphorique, missingyou), 6: (Jack)

At #6 is Melanie C's first venture into solo stardom 'When You're Gone', which is a single by Canadian singer Bryan Adams with Mel featuring on backing vocals and was released in November 1998 as the 2nd single from his 9th studio album 'On A Day Like Today' and quickly became a smash hit by peaking at #3 on the UK charts with 15 weeks in the top 40, with 9 of these spent in the top 10 and to date has sold over 747,000 copies, earning a Platinum disc as well as becoming the biggest selling Spice Girl solo single.

This easily reignited Bryan Adam's career at the time in the UK firstly with the lead single the title track only managing a #13 peak, as well as giving him his highest charting single in 5 years and it's not hard to see why, first of all while I've never been a fan of Bryan Adams songs (find that too many of them sound the same), this one definitely stands as one of his better songs with it's fun energetic vibe and uplifting nature, along with a catchy chorus that makes the whole thing pop. This also shows a definite maturity in his song writing adding a bit more depth than some of his previous outings, but this one does have a good sense of rhythm to it and let's not forget to mention that kick ass guitar solo which really lifts the whole thing to another level.

My only criticism with this song is that you don't get to hear Melanie's fantastic vocals that much, she can only be heard during the high notes as Bryan dominates the whole thing, but other than that it's still a great song and her presence on it really makes the whole thing shine. Of note Melanie regularly features this song in her live concert performances, with guitarist Greg Hatwell signing his parts and both artists have been performed it together a couple of times in concert, even Bryan himself performs it on his tours usually picking a female from the audience member to sing with him, as well as performing it on his own as a solo song.

Despite the massive success of the song in the UK and Europe, it never received a USA release, due to poor sales of the album there and the fact that his success over there had completely waned over there, however in the UK it helped keep his career afloat for a few more years and even managed to score another UK #1 in 2000. In 2005 he re-recorded the song with Pamela Anderson for the US release of his 'Anthology' Greatest Hits album, where this was released as a radio single. This also proved to be quite the dark horse during this competition as it started off in the top 15, then climbed to the bottom end of the top 10 and then came close to making the top 5, eventually settling for a respectable #6 position.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 3 2017, 01:20 AM
Post #155
   No Gallery Pics

Right then Buzzjack we are now down to our final 5 and they consist of =

Melanie C (Ft Lisa "Left Eye" Lobes") - Never Be The Same Again
Melanie C - I Turn To You
Emma Bunton - Maybe

Any thoughts, any predictions....

Here's a reminder of what else featured in the top 10 with numbers 10-06 =

06. Melanie C (Ft Bryan Adams) - When You're Gone = 8.481
07. Geri Halliwell - Look At Me = 8.425
08. Victoria Beckham (Ft Truesteppers & Dane Bowers) - Out Of Your Mind = 8.296
09. Melanie C - Northern Star = 7.98
10. Victoria Beckham - Let Your Head Go = 7.833

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Dec 3 2017, 01:22 AM
Post #156
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

When You're Gone is so so good wub.gif I remember the video so well too always on music channels!

+Quote Post
southernstar
post Dec 3 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #157
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 41,834
   No Gallery Pics

I predict this top 5:
1. Maybe
2. I turn to you
3. Mi chico latino
4. Never be the same again
5. What took you so long

I hope for this top 5:
1. Never be the same again
2. Mi chico latino
3. What took you so long
4. I turn to you
5. Maybe

I'm not a fan ok "maybe" and "i turn to you"...
I'm sorry infact for "northern star", my favourite solo single, and for "look at me".
SamJudd i love your ratings, i hope for others (like spice girls b-side, spice girls videos, spice girls albums and singles cover, spice girls non-single tracks, spice girls and solo albums...) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 3 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #158
   No Gallery Pics

What took you forever to see I'm right?

#05. Emma Bunton - What Took You So Long [8.518]

Highest Scores: 11: (THEO, letloverrule), 10: (SamJudd, Mr.X, Michael Andrew, Spiceboy, missingyou, Jay, Maurice, LazySpice88, Jade)
Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell), 6: (JB2o2o)

LazySpice88's prediction was correct and BTW thank you for the comment. At #5 we have Emma Bunton's 'What Took You So Long' which was released in April 2001 as the lead and 2nd overall single from her debut album 'A Girl Like Me' and went straight to the #1 slot in the UK charts with 76,000 copies sold in the first week, making this her first and only #1 hit with overall sales of about 269,000 copies and was the 41st biggest selling single of that year as well as this becoming highest selling single to date. Also a fun fact the b-side '(Hey You) Free Your Mind' was previously featured on the soundtrack to 'Pokenon: The First Movie' from 1999.

Coming 17 months after her first solo outing which was a collaboration with 'Tin, Tin Out' was quite a long time to wait and could have been very risky, but luckily she manages to pull it off and instead of rushing out another release quickly after her previous smash hit, she decided to bide her time and made sure that her new material was ready for the public to see and the end result was pretty impressive, while many expected her to go down the bubblegum pop route, Emma decided to go for a more grown up guitar influenced sound that's quite similar to her last song, but here it's developed a lot more with a more up-tempo string-laden track, that shows a different and more interesting side to her and while it's not totally removed from her pop roots, it's still a very credible sound and sets in motion a very promising solo career.

Emma Bunton could have easily played it safe and went for something more Spice Girls sounding, but honestly I'm glad she didn't as this proved that she could make it on her own and venturing out into a more alternative sound really suited her sweet vocals and some fantastic production with the twangy opening guitar line and some great instrumental work going on, especially on the toe-tapping chorus that has that slight hint of country music thrown in there for some good measure that just makes this a sweet yet simple and pleasant song that's not over the top or overblown in any way which makes this the perfect lead off single to her then upcoming album, giving you a perfect indication of what to expect.

While the album is decent, there's nothing on there that quite matches the greatness of this. Don't get me wrong there are some good songs on there, but they just don't quite compare to the quality of this and even the 2 singles that followed couldn't live up to this in terms of success or greatness. Well that just goes to show how great this is, it's a pretty hard act to follow and thankfully her follow up album would be a million times better in terms of success and quality. There is just one song from her left in this countdown which doesn't need no introduction and where will that end up, stay tuned to find out.

+Quote Post
Supercell
post Dec 4 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #159
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 11,831
   No Gallery Pics

Just catching up with this thread.

Shame Look At Me wasn't higher, could have sworn I put a 10 on the vote but never mind. It's one of her best easily, I remember being gobsmacked that it failed to reach no.1 and was probably just as irritated as Geri was that it wasn't laugh.gif . Do think it was a very underrated bit of pop back at the time, Geri really suited the jazzy pop sound I wish she'd stuck with it more for the debut album.

Glad to see my favourite singles from Victoria ending up in the top 10. Out Of Your Mind is an absolute banger, again a travesty that it wasn't no.1. If she had run with that sound and followed it up fairly swiftly with subsequent singles and album she may well have carved out a more successful debut era. I do think looking back at it now she (along with Geri) could have forged very successful careers had they come out with the right sound.

Also love Emma's Free Me, I think again this was one of her strongest songs and very underrated. Would have served as a much better James Bond song than the one Madonna churned out the same year. Really not keen on WTYSL though, still rather surprised at how popular that is and how it topped the charts for a fortnight.

This post has been edited by Supercell: Dec 4 2017, 04:55 PM

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Dec 4 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #160
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Nov 19 2017, 11:08 PM) *
I was blown away by Mel's debut with 'I Want You Back'.

I never thought she'd be first off the blocks to a solo career. But on hearing this track, I really believed Mel could be a megastar in her own right.

The TV performances were great too - choreography and look both on point.

She had so much potential! What happened?

This!!

And Feel So Good!! wub.gif

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:47 PM