BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Olly Murs - 24 Hrs, 5th Album | November 11th
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post Oct 31 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #41
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I am a little nervous about the album, i have doubts that opening sales are going to be disappointing and much lower than previous releases. This era is lacking the buzz that usually surrounds his new material.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sajjadali
post Nov 2 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #42
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,100
   No Gallery Pics

He's got nothing to worry about...even with less album sales his live ticket sales are very decent. Radio loves playing his singles! He's won over so many people since XF. I love that he has gone for a maturer sound than his usual poppy upbeat singles. There is no denying a decline but i think the album will still go at least platinum very easily. The gift market is just around the corner and he's a favourite...

Does anyone think his stint presenting XF has harmed his music career...i do, i think it has distracted both him and us from the fact that No.1 he's a presenter...

This post has been edited by sajjadali: Nov 2 2016, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
post Nov 2 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Why did this "decline" have to happen now, when I'm starting to like his newer music and not when he was up against Girls Aloud for #1?

+Quote Post
pippa
post Nov 2 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #44
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

This album will reveal if the decline is anything to worry about. His last album did sell very well just as as good as his previous albums so i think the sales of the new album initially will give an indicator as whether he is on a further decline. This said, the album will still be successful and will manage platinum at the minimum.

I do think the X Factor presenting may have harmed him as in some people may believe he is looking for other opportunities away from music to extend his career and as a result put his music career second which may put them off.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Nov 2 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #45
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(pippa @ Nov 2 2016, 04:47 PM) *
This album will reveal if the decline is anything to worry about. His last album did sell very well just as as good as his previous albums so i think the sales of the new album initially will give an indicator as whether he is on a further decline. This said, the album will still be successful and will manage platinum at the minimum.

I do think the X Factor presenting may have harmed him as in some people may believe he is looking for other opportunities away from music to extend his career and as a result put his music career second which may put them off.

Well the fact he only did it for a year - and little wonder after the hugely disproportionate criticism the media and public gave him for hosting X Factor, so stuck they were in not willing to give him and Caroline a chance on virtue of not being Dermot - and that he has gone on record since saying it'll be a while before he hosts a TV show again should be enough to dispel anyone thinking the music's secondary.

It's always the way in this country. J.Lo for instance juggles music, acting, fashion and once upon a time judging when American Idol was still on and no one bats an eyelid. It's like it's somehow against the law to be successful in more than one field of entertainment, and I especially think certain sections of the media have been wanting to have it in for him since the first album.

Anyway, I will concur and say this will still go platinum at least cause the tour's already sold out on a lot of the dates which the pre-order's been tied in with, and he has the X Factor performance, the TV airing of Children in Need Rocks (which he did last night) and signings for the album also on release week.

On a more exciting note...that thing I talked about on page 2 which we were getting this week? It's a very clever thing he filmed for the album sampler which you can view here, it has previews of "Unpredictable", "Years & Years", "Back Around" and "Flaws" off the album: http://www.24hrs.video/

All are sounding brilliant, I can see "Back Around" being a single definitely!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 2 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #46
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Nov 2 2016, 09:32 PM) *
Well the fact he only did it for a year - and little wonder after the hugely disproportionate criticism the media and public gave him for hosting X Factor, so stuck they were in not willing to give him and Caroline a chance on virtue of not being Dermot - and that he has gone on record since saying it'll be a while before he hosts a TV show again should be enough to dispel anyone thinking the music's secondary.

It's always the way in this country. J.Lo for instance juggles music, acting, fashion and once upon a time judging when American Idol was still on and no one bats an eyelid. It's like it's somehow against the law to be successful in more than one field of entertainment, and I especially think certain sections of the media have been wanting to have it in for him since the first album.

Anyway, I will concur and say this will still go platinum at least cause the tour's already sold out on a lot of the dates which the pre-order's been tied in with, and he has the X Factor performance, the TV airing of Children in Need Rocks (which he did last night) and signings for the album also on release week.

On a more exciting note...that thing I talked about on page 2 which we were getting this week? It's a very clever thing he filmed for the album sampler which you can view here, it has previews of "Unpredictable", "Years & Years", "Back Around" and "Flaws" off the album: http://www.24hrs.video/

All are sounding brilliant, I can see "Back Around" being a single definitely!

Difference being J-lo is accomplished in all the areas she tackles. She didn't willy nilly go into any of these ventures. Olly was a shockingly bad host.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 2 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #47
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

That video was cool!

Loving the sound of 'Back Around' and 'Years & Years' (although the lyrics in Y&Y are quite cringe laugh.gif)!

In regards to his "decline", I feel it might just be the material. The UK public are NOT here for this 80's synth-pop, stuff (even if YDKL & KM both did decently considering their chart runs - but that's more down to him having a hugely loyal fanbase). Not even Brandon Flowers grabbed a hit (although his album did ok) sad.gif I know 'Grow Up' isn't exactly 'Kiss Me' or 'You Don't Know Love' synth-pop, but maybe the general public are just getting confused as to what this album is supposed to be and have mixed signals and feelings towards it all. It's like he progresses his sound, but then pulls it back and plays it too safe. Idk.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 2 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #48
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

I really think if anything that's just the way it goes for most artists after a while, he is on his 5th album now.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 2 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #49

Yeah. That's true too. But I do think that he is just one song away from getting a massive top 10 hit again... I don't feel like he's declined per se, I just think the material is just not clicking with people and all he needs is another 'Dear Darlin'' I think. That preview of 'Years & Years' gave me slight 'Dear Darlin'' vibes.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 2 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #50
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

I have a hard time believing that's such a huge factor when YDKL got such an overwhelmingly good reception as it did, and seeing so many people claim "I don't usually like him/his material but I like this" (plus it did alright anyway).

I think another point to consider is that the old model with how releases used to work worked more in his favour, I don't think it's a coincidence he's not made the top 10 since (I know 'Dear Darlin' and 'Up' were massive hits post album, but I think that's different).

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Nov 2 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #51
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

You Don't Know Love got a good reception on the net but so did Run Away With Me, a song myself and others compared it to, and that didn't manage to take off despite some crazy love on the internet plus good radio support, so I do think it's just the UK public not really reacting to that kind of sound unfortunately sad.gif

Generally though I do think it's just a natural decline that most artists experience but he's definitely far from over, could quite easily nab another hit with the right song!

+Quote Post
sajjadali
post Nov 2 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #52
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 1,100
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 2 2016, 03:11 PM) *
Why did this "decline" have to happen now, when I'm starting to like his newer music and not when he was up against Girls Aloud for #1?

Something New for No 1
I still to this day cant listen to Troublemaker without thinking about this defeat and Robbie/Olly being smug at a press conference...

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 3 2016, 02:31 AM
Post #53
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

He is still doing well, you dont know love has had a steady chart run and its sales arent bad. Grow up just needs promotion. I think the decline as mentioned is what most experience, he is coming on 5 albums into his career and has passed his peak but he is still doing well and will manage a few more hits. I think the new album will probably manage around the same sales as his last album or come close. I think next year is when we will get a Greatest Hits from him, as i was actually surprised we didnt get one this year.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 4 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #54

'Back Around' is really good! It's like a typical Olly song, but with his 80's twist on it. I think it'd be huge with radio and I'm actually unsure as to why it wasn't chosen as the 2nd single over 'Grow Up' (as much as I love that song, I do - it's just a bit of a regression as opposed to a progression in sound)

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Nov 4 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #55
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

"Back Around" is far better than "Grow Up", in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 4 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #56

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Nov 5 2016, 05:44 AM
Post #57
   No Gallery Pics

"Back Around" is definitely going to be one of my new favourites. It's nice that it strikes the balance between where he was going with "Kiss Me" and "You Don't Know Love" and his older material. I can see it being a single for sure.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Nov 5 2016, 05:48 AM
Post #58
   No Gallery Pics

HMV signings from 11th Nov, by the way:

11th - HMV Westfield White City, London
14th - HMV Cardiff
16th - HMV Trafford Centre, Manchester

There's limited wristbands available for all which you need to obtain by pre-ordering in store.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Nov 9 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #59
   No Gallery Pics

30 second previews of all the tracks are in the "Ollybot" messenger for the next 24 hours on his Facebook page. "Unpredictable" and the title track are definitely gonna be ones to watch out for! He is also doing a cool thing on Twitter using the hashtag #Yoursfor24 whereby he is asking people to get him to do random things for 24 hours biggrin.gif This will be hilarious to watch!

His episode of Michael McIntyre's show is on BBC One next Saturday night performing "Grow Up" and "Years & Years" off the album, and he's also on Graham Norton on 24th November performing.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 11 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #60

He delivered, again. Such a strong and consistent album. I had little expectations to this, despite loving the singles and 'Back Around', but it's very good. Not quite RPRT or ICYDK good, but it's certainly up there.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:09 AM