BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lucky Star ● 35 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 12th March 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Its 35 years since 'Lucky Star' became Madonna's second UK chart entry. Madonna considered it, along with 'Borderline', to be the perfect foundation to her debut album - to the point that 'Lucky Star' was set to be the album title before a last minute change. The song is a great early example of Madonna's gift to capture the attention of her audience with an instantly recognisable intro and simple, catchy hooks, although it has to be said that its music video is what really pushed Madonna into becoming an icon. Her black attire, exposed torso and love for bracelets, ribbons and crucifixes inspired a fashion trend that became synonymous with the 80s whilst her dancing and provocative movement proved that Madonna alone could work the camera. She oozed sex appeal, but for the benefit of herself.

'Lucky Star' would see a later release date in the US, having been put on hold from its October 1983 release due to radio stations picking up on 'Holiday', but it would become her first Top 5 hit on the Billboard chart and started a string of 16 Top 5 singles. It remains a much loved moment from her early discography and signaled the birth of an MTV icon. Shine your heavenly body tonight~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th March 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Live Performances

The Virgin Tour (1985)

Who's That Girl World Tour (1987)

Confessions Tour (2005-6)

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th March 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Another song that is so much better live.

The elbows from the routine on the first tour i must do with commitment whenever and wherever i hear this song.

I would welcome this back to a tour set list. She could vocally still pull this one off.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th March 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It's easy to forget how good Madonna's early stuff is. She's developed in sound, style and concepts since but the simple hooks and carefree nature of songs like 'Lucky Star' work so well and really laid the foundations for Madonna's best and most-known songs.

The Confessions Tour performance is EVERYTHING! *.* A perfect precursor to 'Hung Up', I can only begin to imagine how euphoric I would be feeling if I was right there.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th March 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I was there 😉

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th March 2019, 10:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
User: 13,007

^ jealous !!! The single tour from any artist that I'd wish I could transport back in time to to attend sad.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th March 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

In terms of Lucky Star, I'm not HUGELY in love with the song but the live Confessions version merging into Hung Up is a massive favourite Madonna moment for me. As mentioned, the two songs work and blend perfectly together and it's incredible how a 20 year old song can be made so modern and effortlessly fresh in the live version. (It helps that Hung Up is very retro itself so the two merge well). A genius two part moment.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th March 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I need an album of studio Confession Tour remix versions in my life. Stuart Price's mix of Everybody is one I've been jamming to recently.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 13th March 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

This is one of the few singles of Madonnas I intensely dislike. The lyrics, the basic music... I've never liked it. Borderline and Holiday are far superior (although I'm not Holiday's biggest fan either).

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 13th March 2019, 10:17 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:07 PM