BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bojack Horseman, Netflix | animation in Hollywoo
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Jan 7 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

In an alternate world where humans and tailless anthropomorphic animals live side by side, BoJack Horseman, the washed-up star of the 1990s Horsin' Around, plans his big return to celebrity relevance with a tell-all autobiography that he dictates to his ghostwriter Diane Nguyen. BoJack also has to contend with the demands of his agent and on-again-off-again girlfriend Princess Carolyn, the misguided antics of his freeloading roommate Todd Chavez, and his frenemy Mr. Peanutbutter, who is also Nguyen's boyfriend (and, later, her husband). The series satirizes Hollywood, celebrity culture, drug abuse, anxiety, depression and the effects of the entertainment industry in contemporary culture.

four seasons of the animation are on Netflix along with a Christmas special. The cast includes Will Arnett, Aaron Paul, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris and Paul F. Tompkins! There have also been a number of big name guest stars!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 7 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #2
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

I had always been intrigued by this but it looked too weird for me to make a start but after loving Rick and Morty earlier last year, I decided to take a dive into another odd but hyped animation and I LOVED it straight from the first episode.

I'm just nearing the end of Season 3 now and it's so odd but it actually deals with some really great issues as well as being hilarious. I love the satirical take on Hollywoo and washed up stars while the whole animal thing actually works really well and creates some really good humour. The under the sea episode was particularly mind-blowing and brilliantly done!

I love Princess Caroline, particularly moreso after knowing she's Mimi from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmiddt, as she often provides the best moments for me. I especially found Vincent absolutely hilarious and I would have been happy for him to be a full-timer despite the one-note joke laugh.gif I like Sarah Lynn too, obviously a take on child actors, but the juxtaposition that they do of the young Sarah Lynn and the one she is now is actually quite tragic. Todd is also brilliant, moreso when he's off doing his own thing without the other characters.

I would really recommend the show as there's a lot of enjoyment to be had from it, the plot is really engaging and it keeps on moving whilst also providing some really funny moments but also some serious character elements. It's such an odd world but it makes it all the more unique.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 7 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #3
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I can't believe this hasn't already been talked about on here? This show is amazing, far better than Rick & Morty in my opinion. They both have somewhat similar styles being animated dark comedy, but Bojack has another layer to that that actually has meaning. The series does seem to get darker & darker each season, but the comedy still continues and is actually a lot stronger than that of Rick & Morty. I would 10/10 recommend this for anyone who likes a good, non-generic, non-cringy, dark comedy.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 7 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #4
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

I know, I swear I’ve seen a thread for it before but I couldn’t find anything so apparently not! I really have been loving it so far, SO addictive to watch.

+Quote Post
p a v
post Jan 7 2018, 01:22 PM
Post #5
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

there wasn't any thread, people just mentioned the show in other general netflix discussion as far as i remember.

either way i started watching this some time ago and the first few episodes didn't fully capture my attention so i left it but i know i need to get back to this

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Jan 7 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I remember starting this a while ago but I never got past the first few episodes, it was really good tho just not really my thing, kind of like how I just cannot get into Rick and Morty (but like at least Bojack is actually funny whoops)

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 7 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I LOVE this show, season 3 for me dipped a bit but this season was incredible! It's a bit slow to get into but I think everyone should stick with it tbh, the writing is SO clever in places! My favourite thing about the whole package is the way they manage to write about tragic and awful things happening to some of the characters without losing that comedy feel. They make pretty much any situation funny without losing the impact or diminishing the seriousness with silly jokes, they write it in such a clever way that you can simultaneously feel really sad for the character but it's not too depressing a watch despite a lot of the themes because of the clever way they handle pretty much any issue. I also adore all the quirky celebrity parodies and guest stars!

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 7 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #8
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I love this - far better than Rick and Mortey and the gross burping on that! I thoughr I would hate it toox as i is weird, but you get used to it, like Brian from Family Guy.

It is a little annoying sometimes with the terminally uaeless characters messing up some way or other, and the death in one of the series is needless, but other than those complaints it is good. Obviously RandM and this are not on the same level as FG, Bob's Burgers, AD or South Park, but still good.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 7 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #9
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jan 7 2018, 01:00 PM) *
I can't believe this hasn't already been talked about on here? This show is amazing, far better than Rick & Morty in my opinion. They both have somewhat similar styles being animated dark comedy, but Bojack has another layer to that that actually has meaning. The series does seem to get darker & darker each season, but the comedy still continues and is actually a lot stronger than that of Rick & Morty. I would 10/10 recommend this for anyone who likes a good, non-generic, non-cringy, dark comedy.

Ha just what I said - far better than R and M.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jan 7 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

This show gets better every season for me.

The first season I thought just wasn't funny and I felt I was watching just for the sake of watching it.

But in the last couple of seasons it's focused more on the drama side, it's at its best when its depressing, and has grown into one of my favourite TV shows. Even the humour has got so much stronger! (Even though it's nowhere near as funny as Rick & Morty).

The dementia episode is beautiful but my favourite episode is "Escape From LA)" in season 2 which is really where the show completely won me over.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 8 2018, 01:09 AM
Post #11
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Shia LeMuffQueef @ Jan 7 2018, 11:26 PM) *
. Obviously RandM and this are not on the same level as FG, Bob's Burgers, AD or South Park, but still good.

AD > Bobs Burgers > Bojack > Rick & Morty > South Park > Family Guy

All great but FG got stale a while back and SP I never really got into that much. Arrested Development (I assume that’s what AD meant) takes the cake for being in my Top 5 shows of all time tongue.gif

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 8 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #12
my anxiety attacks
Member No.: 8,674

^ American Dad tongue.gif

This clip never fails to make me smile

I watched the first two seasons last year and made a start on the third, really need to make time to watch the rest along with finishing off Stranger Things, Black Mirror and making my way through all seasons of Friends..

Bojack but especially Diane are like my least favourites. It's all about Princess Carolyn and Mr Peanutbutter with Vincent Adultman and Rutabaga Rabbitowitz being two of my highlights of the more minor characters.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 8 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #13
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Has anyone else noticed that Kush from Eastendwrs looks like Mr Peanut Butter? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 9 2018, 12:54 AM
Post #14
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

I forgot American Dad even existed it took me a while to figure out what AD was (and I failed in the end) laugh.gif American Dad always just seemed like another Family Guy clone to me, which it actually was really being made by the same people. I’ve never given it much interest tongue.gif Futurama tho wub.gif But that’s getting off topic rotf.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 9 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #15
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

It's offensive to class this as anywhere even near the utter shite of Rick and Mort

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 28 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #16
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

Have now finished this and I’m so sad, it’s felt like a constant in my life for the past few months or so as I’ve heen steadily watching it! The fourth season was really strong, loved how his mother’s storyline came together throughout with a really interesting payoff at the end! The ending for Bojack also felt like a final series moment, so will be interesting to see where that goes in the next series!

+Quote Post
p a v
post Apr 20 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #17

i'm kind of obsessed with this show now. started off pretty slow and got so depressing and deep gradually. the development of some of the characters is incredible. i was absolutely mortified about Sarah Lynn's death. very interested to start season 4 now.

the humour is impeccable through and through. so many clever puns and running themes. "your otter" is probably my favourite. cracks me up every time. the "hollywoo" thing is just brilliant as well. in third place i would probably have "some lady".

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 9 2018, 03:56 AM) *
It's offensive to class this as anywhere even near the utter shite of Rick and Mort

okay you went to like a 4 in my rankings in 2 seconds x

+Quote Post
p a v
post Aug 25 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #18

3 weeks! *.*

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Aug 26 2018, 12:54 AM
Post #19
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

So hyped for the new season *.* I’m expecting Mr Peanut Butter to finally lose it and sadly step down from being the most enthusiastic character ever because of basically everything that happened to him last season, topped off by him & Dianne potentially getting a divorce. It’s gonna be so funny and so sad at the same time but I can’t wait

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Sep 14 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #20
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

oh my god this season is already depressing and I’ve only watched 2 episodes

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:16 AM