BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2015: Box Office Review, A Look Back At The UK And US Box Office This Year.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
What Month To Start With?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th November 2015, 03:10 AM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Over the next few weeks I will take a look back at the Box Office this year, from the high success to the catastrophic bombs.

However which month should I start with and what order should I do them in? Please comment and will start tomorrow if a couple of people have suggested ideas on what month to do first heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 15th November 2015, 06:27 AM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

I think it makes sense to start with January and work in order heehee.gif (or as the other voter is perhaps thinking, working backwards could work too thinking.gif)

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 15th November 2015, 09:12 AM
Post #3
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Oo this is a fantastic idea UV, excited to see some of the smashes and bombs. Still wish Mad Max got a week ahead of Pitch Perfect 2 in the UK, it was so close both times !

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th November 2015, 02:24 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Definitely start with January and work from there. Really looking forward to this. Especially to see what you'd class something like 'Ant-Man' as!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 16th November 2015, 11:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

2015 x JANUARY x USA: Sniper Takes The Other Movies Out

It was a fantastic January in America as American Sniper led the box office passed $1,000,000,000 for the first time since 2010!
American Sniper became the surprise breakout of the year and just beat Mockingjay Part 1 to become the biggest grossing movie of 2014 to the surprise of everyone. The film opened strongly in limited release before breaking out beyond wildest expectations with a fantastic $90M opening weekend. The film fell a minimal -25% in its 2nd week and has fantastic holds every single week which led to it receiving just under a 4x multiplier and a $350M total. It is the 2nd biggest R Rated movie of all time and reasons for its success range from its Pro-Patriotism to great reviews and awards buzz.

There were a few other minor successes this month. After Taken shockingly broke out in 2009, a sequel was greenlit and despite it earning more than the previous film, Taken 2 received a lot worse reviews due to the fact it was made as a lot softer action film. It was reported Taken 3 would go back to the roots of the 1st movie but instead it continued the soft action which saw the movie open strong ($40M) but became the first movie in the franchise to miss the $100M mark as it fell quickly and ended at $90M total. After its fantastic surprise run in the UK off the back of some of the best reviews of the year, Paddington rode its way to an $18M weekend and had fantastic legs to reach $75M while The Wedding Ringer was another big hit for Kevin Hart- while not on the same level as Ride Along- it did very well for a low budget comedy with a $65M total, similar to Hart's Think Like A Man Too total.

Next up is the performers that range from solid to underwhelming. With the absence of Daniel Radcliffe, The Woman In Black 2 earned under 50% of the first movies total and earned over 55% of its $26M total in its opening weekend. The Boy Next Door did quite solid despite horrid reviews and earned $35M off a $4M budget while Project Almanac opened under expectations and finished with $22M. Black Or White earned just over $20M and did solid for a small release drama while Selma did solid numbers ($50M) but more was expected considering the strong awards buzz and the subject matter.

However there were some absolute disasters and some of the biggest bombs came from January. Animated movies usually do amazing but George Lucas's Strange Magic limped to just over $10M which is awful when compared to other January animated movies such as The Nut Job (60M) and Hoodwinked (50M). Despite having a big star in Chris Hemsworth and a well respected director in Michael Mann, Blackhat's awful reviews killed any chance the movie had of doing well as well as the fact it opened opposite American Sniper so it opened with $4M and finished at $7.8M, an embarrassing number! Horror/thriller The Loft finished with $6M and I forgot it existed but the biggest bomb of the month belongs to Mortdecai. Despite starring big stars such as Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow, the film opened to 4.2M on its way to a 7.6M total, a pathetic amount for a movie that has a budget with $60M.

Of course there were many limited movies that opened in January and the most successful was Still Alice which Julianne Moore won her Oscar for. The film grossed 18M off the back of her win. A Most Violent Year and Cake also did solid if unspectacular numbers.

I hope you like these writeups smile.gif Feedback is appreciated smile.gif

Order Ranking Of Success
GreatGoodSolidUnderwhelmingBomb

1. American Sniper
2. Paddington

3. The Wedding Ringer
4. Still Alice
5. Taken 2
6. The Boy Next Door
7. Selma
8. Black Or White

9. The Woman In Black 2
10. A Most Violent Year
11. Project Almanac
12. Cake

13. The Loft
14. Strange Magic
15. Blackhat
16. Mortdecai

2015 x January x UK will come tomorrow smile.gif Worldwide will be in a separate post at the end focusing on only the main movies or films with a worldwide total of significance.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 17th November 2015, 07:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

American Sniper really was a massive surprise, not the sort of thing that usually does THAT well!

I know Still Alice isn't the sort of thing that gets butts in seats but it is a shame it didn't do better, it was such a hard-hitting film.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:21 PM