BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BBC cuts 1,000 jobs due to less income from the license fee
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Jul 2 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Guardian)
The BBC is to cut more than 1,000 jobs, mainly by slashing layers of management and squeezing back office functions such as marketing and communications.

Tony Hall, director general of the BBC, addressed staff in London on Thursday and explained that the cuts are needed to make up for a funding shortfall of £150m in 2016-17 largely due to the faster-than expected switch to online viewing.

Hall wrote: “A simpler, leaner, BBC is the right thing to do and it can also help us meet the financial challenges we face. “We’ve already significantly cut the costs of running the BBC, but in times of very tough choices we need to focus on what really matters – delivering outstanding programmes and content for all our audiences.”

Addressing staff in London, Hall said: “My central proposition is this - before we do anything else that affects our services – we have to ensure we’re running the place as efficiently, effectively and simply as possible.”

The new proposals are expected to save £50m largely by merging divisions and cutting layers of management.

Senior management roles will be cut across the board. In some places there are currently 10 layers of people and this will be cut to a maximum of seven in all areas. In a release the BBC said: “A simpler organisation will inevitably require fewer managers, especially at senior levels.”

Consultation with staff will start in earnest over the summer, with most of the jobs expected to go by the beginning of next year. The corporation currently has about 18,000 staff, so the cuts represent more than 5% of its workforce.

Saying that he will personally oversee the changes, Hall added: “I recognise this is a very tough message. I’m under no illusion that what I’ve said today will cause great anxiety across many parts of the organisation. “This is a lot of change and it will happen quite fast. But – I want all of you to know that: we’ll handle this decently – and fairly.”

The cuts come as the BBC faces tough negotiations over the renewal of its royal charter, which is due to end in 18 months’ time.

Hall, who promised a leaner and simpler BBC when he became director general two years ago, said: “We’re facing a very testing time. I haven’t chosen this path lightly or without a great deal of thought. I care greatly about this organisation and the people in it. But I genuinely believe this is the right thing to do – at the right time.”

A frozen annual licence fee of £145.50 in the last charter review and a raft of new expenses such as paying for broadband rollout has already meant a 26% decline in income, according to the BBC. The Conservative government, which is set to unveil a green paper on charter renewal in coming weeks, is thought to be considering making the BBC cover the cost of free licence fees for the over-75s, as well as decriminalising non-payment of the licence fee, which could also cost the corporation £200m.

Praising recent BBC successes in televising Glastonbury and the women’s football World Cup, Hall made a direct appeal to licence fee payers who fund the BBC on Thursday: “We must demonstrate that, even in times of very tough choices, we focus on what really matters – delivering outstanding programmes and content for all our audiences. They’re the reason we exist. We must not let them down.”

It estimates that previous savings have already cut £1.5bn a year in costs by 2017. In announcing the cuts on Thursday alongside a report from accountants PwC, Hall said the BBC’s “record on efficiency is second to none”.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
April
post Jul 2 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #2
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

The Tories are destroying the BBC drama.gif

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 3 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #3
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

The fact they are continuing to air the s***heap that is 'Don't Tell the Bride' on BBC One is proof enough how it's going down the toilet. Not to mention the ENDLESS repeats.

(Having said all that, I am watching the new Clangers on my BBC iPlayer app atm. Easily the best thing in the Beeb's remit of current, and I'm not even the target audience for it!)

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 6 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(April @ Jul 2 2015, 12:44 PM) *
The Tories are destroying the BBC drama.gif

They have now confirmed that the BBC will soon have to pay the cost of the free licences for over-75s, thereby depriving them of even more money. If they go ahead and decriminalise non-payment of the licence fee, that will see their income fall even further. The one piece of good news is that they are considering ending the rather daft loophole that means people who only use catch-up services don't have to have a licence. However, it is hard to see how that will be enforced without forcing ISPs to provide information.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 7 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #5
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Reports are now that the BBC News Channel could also be moving online. It costs the BBC £66.2m a year to currently run.

+Quote Post
April
post Jul 7 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #6
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

Ridiculous. I don't see how it would save them money to move it online? They'd still be producing the same amount of news etc.

They're already destroying the BBC News Channel with that awful Victoria Derbyshire programme and constantly showing BBC World News to save money.

+Quote Post
house.martin
post Jul 15 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 68
   No Gallery Pics

I like the BBC and yes there's a licence fee, which is plain to see.

So, I wonder:
How do the commercial TV networks pay to run themselves?
I'll hazard a guess (to cut a long story short) that one way would be that, a part of the price of some products would be to cover costs for TV ads

This post has been edited by house.martin: Jul 15 2015, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Jul 15 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #8
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 3 2015, 09:37 AM) *
The fact they are continuing to air the s***heap that is 'Don't Tell the Bride' on BBC One is proof enough how it's going down the toilet. Not to mention the ENDLESS repeats.

(Having said all that, I am watching the new Clangers on my BBC iPlayer app atm. Easily the best thing in the Beeb's remit of current, and I'm not even the target audience for it!)

That'll save money! Cutting down on repeats by producing more shows!

+Quote Post
Griff
post Jul 15 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #9
Guests

As long as they get rid of the Director Distribution at BBC Global News Limited, I'm happy.

Well no, I'm NOT happy as people have lost their jobs, but hopefully people know what I mean

This post has been edited by Griff: Jul 15 2015, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:17 PM