BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What's your favourite band/artist of the past decade?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post Sep 27 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Been thinking of this a lot recently with the 2 album release by the Foals and how strong their output has been since 2008. They are so consistent and def are one of the countries biggest bands at a time when indie music is increasingly hard to find in the mainstream.

Mine would be between Foals and Mystery Jets!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Sep 27 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
The 1975 (as I'm sure you'll be aware tongue.gif ) - 3 fantastic albums, with a 4th next year. Completely diverse sounds, particularly on their most recent 2 albums. Can't think of many other bands that would release songs as contrasting as TOOTIME and People in less than a year.

After that, probably Catfish and the Bottlemen

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Sep 27 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
my fav artist hasn't changed since 2001: Damien Rice
my #2 has changed a lot over the years, in the 00s I had the holy trinity of Damien Rice-David Gray-Ray Lamontagne but the last 2 have lost me in recent years and I don't even check if they put an album out... then I had a big Glen Hansard/Swell Season/Frames phase but his last albums are also not that great even if he's still amazing live... then also Sufjan Stevens but he's kinda erratic too...
in the last 10 years, my #2 used to be Ben Howard, but he hasn't matched his debut... also The Tallest Man on Earth, but his latest is not very good... Daughter also but again the 2nd album was not as good as the first...
there's also Bon Iver which I almost forgot, as in many cases, loved her debut, one of the best albums ever, but since then I like his songs but not like the ones from Emma and I don't mind him going electronic but it's not the same anymore

This post has been edited by Bjork: Sep 28 2019, 11:22 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Sep 27 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
You like your artists Bjork.

Also like Catfish/Liam Gallagher/the 1975/Sundara Karma/Black Keys/Two Door Cinema Club/Vampire Weekend/Circa Waves!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 27 2019, 11:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
I'm with Steve on Foals.

Also, King Gizzard would have to be in my Top 2 of the last decade. Marvellous, aesthetic discography with great concepts and great psychedelic sound
Temples, The xx, Florence + The Machine and Tame Impala are some other greats in my book.

This post has been edited by Polly Planturret: Sep 27 2019, 11:53 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post Sep 28 2019, 08:09 AM
Post #6
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
A tough one, this. I think I'd have to go for The Joy Formidable. Four albums, the first two are amongst my favourite of the decade and the second two are still really good with some excellent moments. They're amazing live, have now seen them three times, and I reckon if I created 15-20 song playlists of artists I love theirs would be about the best. I'm a sucker for a longer song too and they've some pretty exceptional ones.

DMA's wouldn't be far behind as I have been massively obsessed in the last couple of years but only have two, and School of Seven Bells are contenders, probably the next best act who've released three or more albums.

What I find is that most acts who have released at least three albums this decade fit into one of both of having one album which just isn't particularly strong or their material from this decade is not as good as previous therefore can't really consider them. The National, Elbow and Death Cab for Cutie probably fit both of those, Foals, Kasabian and Bat For Lashes have been great but not as great as their pre-2010 stuff, and there are many acts I love who've got one really poor album - Metronomy, How To Dress Well, Ben Howard, James Blake, Courteeners

Wolf Alice and Purity Ring are the next best with 2/2 great albums.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 28 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Suede, obviously biggrin.gif Of the more recent bands, Vampire Weekend and Public Service Broadcasting stand out.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 28 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 28 2019, 10:28 AM) *
Suede, obviously biggrin.gif Of the more recent bands, Vampire Weekend and Public Service Broadcasting stand out.

I should have included Blossoms on this list. If the tragedy hadn't happened, I might have been able to include their one-time support band Viola Beach sad.gif

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post Sep 28 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 29,031
Sorry I'm including non-indie/rock acts in this, hope that's okay. I will highlight the ones that fit/loosely fit that description in bold!

These artists' albums haven't always been fantastic but they have all been pretty, pretty consistent for singles over the past decade of so. Some of these have been around for longer than ten years but have released a high number of first-class anthems over the past decade.

Everything Everything
Lana Del Rey
Foals
Bombay Bicycle Club
Two Door Cinema Club
The Vaccines
Friendly Fires
Lana Del Rey
Vampire Weekend
Paramore

Calvin Harris
Beyoncé
Jessie Ware
Kanye West
Rihanna
Robyn (although has only had two 'eras' since 2009)
Carly Rae Jepsen
Charli XCX
Kendrick Lamar
Miguel
Fidlar
The 1975

Major Lazer
Florence and the Machine
Ben Howard

David Guetta
The Weeknd
The Wombats (genuinely pretty great after the initial slightly irritating landfill indie era)
Janelle Monáe
Avicii :-(

Amazing for about 1-2 eras:

Chase and Status
AlunaGeorge
Tinie Tempah
Plan B
Nicki Minaj
Katy B
Lady Gaga
Metronomy
Wild Beasts
Marina and the Diamonds

Disclosure
Delphic
Warpaint
Bat For Lashes

Taylor Swift
Yeasayer
Local Natives

Rudimental (really sh1t now in my opinion)

Still awaiting second/third albums but great so far:

Sam Fender
Christine and the Queens
PVRIS

Stormzy
Years and Years
FKA Twigs
Lorde
Dave
Jax Jones
Declan McKenna
Billie Eilish
The Amazons

Wolf Alice
Grimes (I'm controversially including her here as I haven't heard the first two and they had nowhere near as much exposure)

Special longevity award - not had a bad 2010s considering their vintage:

Pet Shop Boys
Kylie
Manic Street Preachers
Radiohead
Eminem

This probably needs a bit of work but getting there!

This post has been edited by Hiyaluv: Sep 29 2019, 01:07 AM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 28 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yes, The Wombats' latest material is probably the best of their career which is fairly uncommon.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post Sep 28 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
Hiyaluv actually more or less bang on it there I think!

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post Sep 28 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Forgot about Dave! And Lana, and Charli XCX etc!

So much for all this "modern music is sh!te" nonsense I'm constantly fed not only by people older than me but often around the same age (36).

This post has been edited by Hiyaluv: Sep 28 2019, 09:57 PM

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post Sep 29 2019, 12:33 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 28 2019, 10:16 PM) *
Yes, The Wombats' latest material is probably the best of their career which is fairly uncommon.

Their decade has been characterised by synths, anti-depressants and lemons at knife fights. What's not to love? And I HATED them in 2007! Tokyo (Vampires and Wolves) stunned me, impassioned, urgent and weirdly euphoric and bleak banger! I think I just love the early 2010s in general. Just listening to this right now. How is this nine years ago? I'm so old! "I'm sick of dancing with the beast" gets me every time. Must admit I largely thought they were empty ironic hipsters until this. Then they went deliciously dark (I know they hinted at it before with their issues with their sleep etc but that didn't quite work for me). The Perfect Disease was a great 900th single from the album too.

This post has been edited by Hiyaluv: Sep 29 2019, 01:24 AM

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Sep 29 2019, 04:52 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
QUOTE(Hiyaluv @ Sep 29 2019, 05:41 AM) *
Forgot about Dave! And Lana, and Charli XCX etc!

So much for all this "modern music is sh!te" nonsense I'm constantly fed not only by people older than me but often around the same age (36).

I love when people older than me AREN'T jaded & cynical about new music because it gives me hope that I too can age out of the demographic without doing so either happy.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Sep 29 2019, 06:36 AM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Wombats have been great this decade. I can literally point to Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves) as the song that got me into being geeky and interested in music discussion. Really interesting stuff from them since.

My favourite is (of course) Nightwish, two albums I’d call absolutely flawless. Within Temptation not too far behind with 2 excellent and one great album, CHVRCHES again, two great, one less so. Amaranthe, very rarely below par even if after 5 albums it eventually all sounds fairly similar.

Purity Ring and Wolf Alice have been consistently great, Paramore have mostly been really good, as have Arcade Fire, Everything Everything have some great stuff too.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Sep 29 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Oh god how did I forget the Wombats - wonderful band. Murph is great!!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 29 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 28 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Snap, can't disagree with any of those choices. Would also add The War On Drugs to that list, their last two albums have been near perfect.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:16 PM