BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buffy the Vampire Slayer Appreciation Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post 11th April 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I've been re-watching this recently, and I'm surprised at how well its aged in terms of plot/writing (Not CGI lol). The characters are still really refreshing and funny, and it's still suitably poignant and touching (harrowing, even if you know which episode I mean) in places. I feel like for a lot people, given the title of the show, they'd never know of the genius of the show. It'd be interesting to know who else on Buzzjack were fans. What you favourite episodes and seasons were and who your favourite Characters were.

*(Michael impact)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th April 2016, 11:25 AM
Post #2
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

One of my favourite TV shows of all-time. wub.gif

I re-watched it all on DVD across 2012/13 and like you, I was impressed by how strongly the show held up all those years later.

Episodes which strongly stand out to me are two pretty unconventional ones: the one featuring The Gentlemen (Hush?), when the whole town went mute. Terrifying. :') It's superbly acted considering the complete lack of dialogue. The musical episode was incredible.

Even though I've watched it within the past 5 years, I still feel like I could watch it all over again and not be bored. I definitely will someday.

P.S. Buffy & Angel. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th April 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Hush is an incredible piece of TV, with a particularly smart ending.

On the whole though I found the show to be overrated and rather too 'teen oriented' for my tastes.
Angel was an improvement but I still wasn't a fan.

A few of my friends adored it though.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 11th April 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Huge fan!

Ive been around a long time and Buffy was one of my top 5 drama shows of all time. The writing the characters the plotting the humour the darkness the inventiveness all had to overcome the basic silliness of the premise, and they did it brilliantly. Joss can do no wrong for me. Firefly was tragically shortlived and could have been as great. Angel was fab too. Best buffy seasons 2 to 6. All good though. Best eps yeh hush, the final episode, so many to pick from!

heart.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 11th April 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Now we need a Charmed appreciation thread and the Michael tv show duo is complete

+Quote this post
Cal
post 11th April 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 5,964

Oh my good God this show! Literally my favourite thing ever.

The first five seasons were all glorious and then it dipped quite a bit for me (all those extra slayers like wtf???) but it was still good at the end. There were so many characters that I loved, mainly: Darla (BABE!), Drusilla, Joyce (can we NOT talk about THAT MOMENT), Kendra (Mr. Pointy!), Faith (LOVED Dark Faith), Riley, Glory, Tara (literally BAWLED when she got shot), Harmony, Jenny, and Angel. All babes.

Willow was a hun but Dark Willow was unbearable. Dawn can fuck off. Spike was great but got on my nerves a bit. Didn't care much for Xander. Anya was great in small doses. Giles was great too.

'Hush' was AMAZING. 'The Gift' was one of my favourites as well, but Dawn should've jumped tbh.

biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
post 11th April 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Cody Ballas @ Apr 11 2016, 05:57 PM) *
Now we need a Charmed appreciation thread and the Michael tv show duo is complete

I did enjoy Charmed, but Buffy was so much smarter and more innovative.

I agree that seasons 6 and 7 were weaker, but they had enough good moments to keep me ticking over. I especially loved the episode 'Normal Again' in season 6 when Buffy is in a mental institute and it makes you wonder if the Vampire Slayer stuff is real at all.

For me Season 5 was incredible, seasons 2 & 3 are classics, season 4 is great for stand alone episodes, but the main arc was a bit weaker. 1 was good, solid but didn't have the emotional depth of the other seasons.
5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 7 > 1

My favourite characters were Buffy, Faith, Anya and Giles.

My favourite episodes were mainly season 5 episodes; The Gift, The Body etc. And Hush of course!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 12th March 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #8
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

The first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired 20 years ago, 10th March 1997! ohmy.gif wub.gif

Some good articles ~

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...slayer-feminist
http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/3/10/14857...ed-tv-influence
https://www.cnet.com/news/buffy-20-felicia-...er-joss-whedon/

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 12th March 2017, 01:48 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

The comics are fooking atrocious!!!

+Quote this post
post 30th March 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(★ Jay ★ @ Mar 12 2017, 01:30 AM) *

Missed this bump! These articles are amazing.

The cast (minus Giles who's in London on West End currently and Faith who was never a leading role) all are together for the anniversary, emotional watching the video. Truly the greatest show ever made and so many supernatural teen shows were influenced it, from Charmed, to Teen Wolf.

Full info, images and video here

+Quote this post
post 23rd July 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Apparently Joss is in talks to reboot this, with a black Buffy!

I like the idea of a black slayer but I think the idea of rebooting completely a bit redundant. There's so much mythology that it would be easy to do a new generation especially as "Into every generation a slayer is born'" I will watch anything Buffy related though.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

I only heard aboot that yesterday neet!!

Race bending Buffy feels cheap. A black slayer is all good, we had Kendra and the 1st slayer and the one before Buffy, but it's like a second hand character. The mythology states there are now thousands of slayers. Pick one, a black one for example, and focus on her, not race bend another slayer, who is um still continuing in the comics anyway.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 23rd July 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Always here for POC representation, but I agree why a reboot? It's almost like reducing black characters to a token, as if they don't think they're strong enough to carry their own story within the universe so they have to tack Buffy's name on.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd July 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I started this about a year ago (came up on my timehop a few days ago haha) and I'm so annoyed at myself for not watching it sooner. It's so, SO good. I'd seen bits and bobs in the past, but never seen any full episodes or anything.

But I'm a stan now. I kept thinking just how relevant the themes of the storylines and things were today and that I think an updated and more modern version would be just as brilliant.

I'm not here for a lead character called Buffy Summers. However, I think a reboot could definitely work if it was centralised on a different character in todays times more than a different actress playing Buffy Summers would. So yeah, something in the exact same universe as Buffy/Angel, but not a character reboot.

Maybe something in a similar style to how Scream 4 fits into the Scream franchise!

So glad to see people pinpoint 'Hush' as a huge highlight/THE highlight. My favourite episode. I don't think I've seen anything like it before which is surprising in an age where they're constantly remaking/retweaking classic scenes and taking ideas/inspiration from classics etc..

wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Hush is the second best Buffy episode EVER after The Gift

Did y'all know it is the most academically studied tv/ film piece the world over by a HUGE margin? But commercially it loses out big time to Charmed.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 23rd July 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Queef of Skreech @ Jul 23 2018, 08:53 PM) *
Hush is the second best Buffy episode EVER after The Gift

Did y'all know it is the most academically studied tv/ film piece the world over by a HUGE margin? But comercially it loses out big time to Charmed.

I was quite sceptical that's the case, but apparently it's true (albeit that was six years ago, and it's possible something else has overtaken it since then). I would have thought one of the classical film franchises like The Godfather or stand-alone classics like Citizen Kane (coming from my Film Studies days).

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2018, 08:52 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

It is studied over all other tv/film in English courses, and has its own university classes too, mostly in the states, due to the way it uses language to ingratiate the friends vs the others

+Quote this post
post 24th July 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Charmed was completely lazy and throwaway compared to Buffy, I enjoyed watching it but it just doesn't have the weight to pull of anywhere near the same amount of affection that Buffy gets.

I'll probably still give whatever they do a try even if Buffy is recast because with the right people it could still be great, and the original isn’t going anywhere. But I feel it’s a wasted opportunity not just starting with a new generation of characters (even with Sunnydale being rebuilt would have been fine). And building on the rich mythology that the shows already created (the comics don’t need to be cannon if they made it difficult), with the opportunity to dip in and out of the show’s history when and as much as they like.

I guess the worry is if the title of the show doesn’t have ‘Buffy’ in it, it wouldn’t attract a big enough audience, which I know wouldn’t be the case. The point of Buffy as a character is that she’s a spoilt, privileged, white, valley girl that’s thrown into this world where she has to care about more than herself. The name ‘Buffy’ is meant to signify something light and silly which is the anthisis of what a Vampire Slayer is, and I’m not even sure this kind of representation of the character would even...work in 2018?

Seasons ranking:

5>3>2/4>6>7>1

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th July 2018, 11:40 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Nope.

Buffy had empty characters at times and stilted conversations/ formulae. Charmed were people first, THEN superheores, and you could really feel the difference in quality. Buffy was so weak she almost got killed by a single vamp as Spike casually held the other in the air. It had maajor problems.

Series ranking:

5>3>7>4>2>1>6

+Quote this post
post 26th July 2018, 11:28 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Charmed is nowhere near as critically acclaimed as Buffy. It doesn’t have the range.

Anyway this has been confirmed to be a revival not a reboot which we can all be very pleased about.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 01:34 AM