BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Rate 2019 - The Results!, 20th Dec: Runner up and WINNER announced!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Maz!
post Sep 26 2019, 01:24 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,217

5.722 - 60. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster GERI HALLIWELL
5.815 - 59. Tell Me MEL B
5.870 - 58. Calling GERI HALLIWELL
5.889 - 57. Yeh Yeh Yeh MELANIE C
5.944 - 56. If That Were Me MELANIE C

At #60 we have the fierce pop track Scream If You Wanna Go Faster from Geri. It was released on 30 July 2001 as the second single from the album with the same name. Its peak position was #8 on the official UK chart. It received positive reviews by music critics, who complimented the singer's new style. Jon O'Brien from Billboard named it the 15th best solo single from a Spice Girl, and elaborated that the song "is perhaps her most under-rated single", and noted its "twangy surf-rock guitars, swirling Hammond organs and unabashedly nonsensical lyrics.

The next song at #59 is Mel B's Tell Me. It was released on the 25th September 2000 and debuted and peaked at #4, selling 109,000 copies by 2017. The song is about her former husband Jimmy Gulzar. The song might be best known for the following lyric ''And all you loved was Mel B's money''. Gulzar wasn't her only husband who loved her money, we now know that 19 years later.

At #58 we have the 3rd single from Geri Halliwell's album Scream If You Wanna Go Faster, Calling. It was released on the 26th of November 2001 and debuted and peaked at #7 in the UK single chart. In certain regions, the song was released in a French version, called "Au Nom De L'Amour. It was Geri's favourite track on the album and was praised by George Michael.

Melanie C's Yeh Yeh Yeh is at #57. It was the third and final single from her second solo album Reason. It debuted and charted at #27 in the UK Chart.
It was a double a-side with Melt and as I said this song is the superior song of the two in my opinion. After this single Melanie was dropped by Virgin.

Closing this round of results is another Melanie C song from her debut album Northern Star, If That Were Me. It was released on the 27th November 2000, only a few weeks after the Spice Girls album Forever was released, and debuted and peaked at #18 in UK singles chart. The lyric 'I couldn't live without my phone / But you don't even have a home' gave fans ideas to make some hilarious memes.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 26 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Would Tell Me have been no.1 on an easier week? A great song and a huge hit in 2001! Shame it came so low here :/

Scream could easily have been a Spice song! Their third album sucked as she was the mastermind behind their singles. Scream and a bunch of others, Mi Chico Latino, etc, prove this.

Yeh Yeh Yeh higher than Going Down?! It should have been the first single from the album, but the lyrics are awful and it was a huge step down.

The lyric 'I couldn't live without my phone / But you don't even have a home' gave fans ideas to make some hilarious memes.

Omfg at those lyrics rotf.gif Even as kids we cringed and laughed at them!!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 26 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
What the hell is going on with this rate lol

Tell Me should be Top 20 here, at the very least!

Yeh Yeh Yeh had a great video but DAMN that was a bad song lol Not only the chorus is lame but the lyrics are just meh

I dont think I have listened to any of the others since they were released... Scream and If THat Were Me are ok album tracks, hardly single material.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 26 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 26 2019, 02:06 PM) *
Sorry kids but Goin' Down is a lame attempt a being 'rock'. It felt forced and desperate not just because of the music (and some of the lyrics) but the whole video and promo attached to it.

Many artists have successfully transition between pop and rock in really interesting and intelligent ways. Goin' Down was neither, unfortunately. It was a pop star trying to distancing herself from her pop roots rather than it being an artist who wanted to explore how her sound worked well with rock.

Having said that, there are some nice attempts at that in Northern Star, mainly with Suddenly Monday, Gaga and Northern Star itself which has some soft-rock nuances to it. But Goin Down felt wrong and it is still bad today...

All but the Northern Star bit is WROOONG TOTALLY WROOONG!!

It is an authetic rock hit. Your issue is a pop star made it. That's it. That's yout bias. We recognise the song as being fantastic, regardless of who madw it and what their musical history was prior to it!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 26 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Algernon Monqueef @ Sep 26 2019, 03:22 PM) *
All but the Northern Star bit is WROOONG TOTALLY WROOONG!!

It is an authetic rock hit. Your issue is a pop star made it. That's it. That's yout bias. We recognise the song as being fantastic, regardless of who madw it and what their musical history was prior to it!

It's not bias. I recognise that Mel C has done some good rock music. Goin' Down isn't that blink.gif It just screams 'try too hard' rather than it being an authentic piece of work...

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 26 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #46
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Tell Me is far too low for my liking, but 12 out of 27 voters considered it as being a 5 or less - it even received a -1 score. sad.gif

Not too fussed about the Geri singles out in this section. Scream is probably my least favourite Geri single from her 1999-2005 run tbh, and Calling would be my second least favourite!

I like both of the Melanie songs... Yeh Yeh Yeh was definitely a highlight track from Reason and shouldn't have been left that late in the album campaign. I've always had a soft spot for If That Were Me, it just sounds really pleasant. Even though some of the lyrics are a bit on the nose, I appreciate the sentiment of them.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 26 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Would Tell Me have got to no.q on another week Jer?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 26 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #48
Group icon
It had first week sales of nearly 45,000, which was great, but not enough to have been #1 in the majority of weeks in 2000! Only the first two weeks of January were lower, but low January sales was typical.

Week Ending 07th October 2000
1- AGAINST ALL ODDS- Mariah Carey & Westlife (78,500)
2- KERNKRAFT 2000- Zombie Nation (55,000)
3- BODY GROOVE- Architechs Ft Nena (53,000)
4- TELL ME- Mel B (45,000)
5- LADY (HEAR ME TONIGHT)- Modjo (34,000)*
6- I’M OUTTA LOVE- Anastacia (29,000)*
7- MOST GIRLS- Pink (26,000)*
8- AIN’T NO STOPPING US- DJ Luck & MC Neat (25,000)*
9- OVERLOAD- Sugababes (24,000)*
10- SKY- Sonique (22,000)*

If Tell Me had been released two weeks later it would have been #3 with those sales. Three weeks later it would have got to #2! -

Week Ending 28th October 2000
1- STOMP- Steps (48,250)
2- WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?- Ba-Ha Men (32,000)
3- BEAUTIFUL DAY- U2 (28,000)*
4- KIDS- Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue (25,000)*
5- BODY II BODY- Samantha Mumba (23,000)*
6- SILENCE (REMIX)- Delierium Ft Sarah McLachlan (20,000)*
7- BLACK COFFEE- All Saints (18,000)*
8- BODY GROOVE- Architechs Ft Nana (18,000)*
9- SUNSET (BIRD OF PREY)- Fatboy Slim (17,000)*
10- MUSIC IS MY RADAR- Blur (17,000)*

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Sep 26 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Such a shame how that was handled though. I always felt that had she released earlier in the year she would have had much more success overall. Tell Me was a total Spring/Summer record ah

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 26 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
It really was sad.gif

Ooh Jay with those RECEIPTS!!

I think had she released v Steps, it might have got to no.1 in a chart battle thanks to the publicity. Why she released against Westshite I do not know.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 26 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #51
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Geri Halliwell - Scream If U Wanna Go Faster - Never been keen on this, I mean its okay enough and is one of the better tracks on the album, shame that 'Circles Round The Moon' didn't get a release.

Mel B - Tell Me - Again another MEH moment for me, Mel B's solo stuff has always been my least fave out of the solo Spice's & her debut album just wasn't very good (apart from about 1 or 2 tracks), this just feels like she was trying too hard for that American R&B sound, and this just feels like a demo. I found that on the album she didn't play to her vocal strength's as well as the production which just didn't cut and on several of the tracks including this one, she strained her vocals too much and that's why her voice don't sound very good on several of the tracks. If the album was more in line with the lead 'I Want You Back' with production by Missy Elliot, then it would have been much better.

Geri Halliwell - Calling - This is a very nice song and Geri's voice sounds really good on this, a definite album highlight along with 'Love Is The Only Light'. Shame we didn't get 'CRTM' as the 4th single.

Melanie C - Yeh, Yeh, Yeh - The 5 month gap really killed this, but considering on how the previous 2 singles did 7-14, there was no-way this was gonna do any better anyway and if it got released a few months before then I predict that it would have probably ranked low top 20. Shame Mel C's UK success pretty much ended with her 2nd album & considering how great her debut was, but the 4 year gap between releases didn't help, plus the fact this and the album it came from sounded very dated and may have been more successful back in 2001 as opposed to 2003.

Melanie C - If That Were Me - Always found this a strange single choice & the awful lyrics didn't help an otherwise very beautiful song. Having this follow 2 chart toppers definitely wasn't a smart move. 'Suddenly Monday' or 'Feel The Sun' would have been far better & could have continued her top 10 streak.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 26 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #52
Group icon
I think Yeh Yeh Yeh was originally scheduled for an earlier release, but it was pushed back due to the injury she got during her participation on The Games. Melt was added to the release so she had something slow to perform that allowed her to sit down, so unfortunately Yeh Yeh Yeh was a bit neglected during the promotion. When the single was finally released there were some distributions issues (fans struggled to find the maxi single). So all in all it was a bit of a messy release!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 26 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Feel The Sun? You must be having a laugh laugh.gif

4. Northern Star
5. Suddenly Monday
6. If That Were Me (if she was that desperate to release it)

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 27 2019, 06:25 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Closer should have been the final single on NS !!

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post Sep 27 2019, 09:31 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611
After I Turn To You is not easy to think a possible last single from the album.
NS has a lot of great song but not radio friendly if I think of Closer or Feel The Sun.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 27 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #56
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Feel The Sun is not radio friendly at all. It's an album track.

NS woulf have been the best.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 27 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #57
Group icon
I think If That Were Me served its purpose to close out the era! Even though the single didn’t set the chart alight, the Northern Star album did return to the Top 40 for 5 weeks during December 00/January 01, so it would have achieved some decent Christmas sales (and the album was over a year old at that point, so that was good going!). It was also higher in the chart than Forever at Christmas time.

It was nice that the single was for charity too!

Maybe an edit of Closer would have fared better, but I don’t believe was likely to have done amazingly well with any 5th single tbh. She did well to stretch the era out that long! None of the other group or solo eras reached 5 singles. (I suppose you could make a case for Hot, but I Want You Back was released 2 years in advance of it & Word Up didn’t end up being included...)

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 27 2019, 03:54 PM
Post #58
Group icon

6.056 - 55. Lift Me Up GERI HALLIWELL
6.114 - 54. Numb MELANIE C
6.136 - 53. Rock Me MELANIE C
6.143 - 52. Let There Be Love MELANIE C
6.241 - 51. Here It Comes Again MELANIE C

We've reached the songs that have managed average scores of 6+, but these unfortunate 5 songs have missed out on the Top 50!

Lift Me Up is Geri's lowest placed UK #1 single in the rate. It was released during a blaze of publicity in November 1999 - not only was Geri going head to head with her former bandmate Emma (who released What I Am in the same week), but there was also "are they/aren't they" romance rumours with Chris Evans. Lift Me Up sold an impressive 139,000 copies to enter at #1, while Emma had to make do with a #2 entry with respectable sales of 106,000. Choreography for Lift Me Up featured Geri using sign language.

We lose four more Melanie C songs in this section! 30 of her songs are included in this rate, and we've seen 15 of them depart already.

Numb, a collaboration with production duo Sons of Sonix, was released as a taster of what was to come from her 2016 album Version of Me. Melanie was eager to explore a more electro sound on the record. It's a bit of a bop! Five years prior to that, Rock Me served as the first song released from her 2011 album The Sea. It made the Top 40 in Germany, helped along by being the official theme song for German TV channel ZDF's coverage of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. Faring less well in Germany was Let There Be Love, an English rewrite of Liebe ist alles by Rosenstolz. Melanie's version missed the Top 100 in late 2011, despite the fact that she performed it on the German X Factor finale! I guess the public weren't here for an English language version of a popular hit single, oops.

Here It Comes Again was released in February 2003 as the lead single from Melanie's long-awaited second album Reason. Melanie had been absent from the charts since 2000; two years was something of an eternity in the fast moving world of the music industry, and there was certainly pressure on her to replicate the success she achieved with her first album. That was unfortunately unattainable: the end result was a peak of #7 in the UK, three weeks in the Top 40 & total sales of less than 40,000 copies.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post Sep 27 2019, 04:27 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217
I don't think any of these songs is a favorite for me so not too sad they are ending low.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 27 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I think If that were me did it's job, it sold fairly well considering it charted at #18, and helped give the album a boost in sales again, job done.

I would have preferred Be the one, Suddenly Monday or Closer tbh. I actually think a dance remix of Feel the sun could have worked really well too, following on from ITTY. Then again I like that every single from the NS album is so different, shows what a versatile album it is.

+Quote this post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:29 PM