BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elle, Isabelle Huppert coming for a nomination/win?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Jan 11 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #1
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

Picking up loads of hype at the moment and Isabelle Huppert even beat out the likes of Natalie Portman and Amy Adams to take home a Golden Globe the other day, looking forward to this!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Mar 13 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #2
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

This was great and Isabelle Huppert definitely deserved the Oscar over Emma Stone, it's between her and Natalie Portman for my favourite of the Best Actress category now that I've seen them all. It was very darkly funny in places.

But the MVP was the cat (just sat there watching as Michèle got raped!)

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Nov 19 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #3
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

FINALLY found the time to watch this. I was planning on renting it on iTunes but it's actually on UK Netflix if anyone was interested in seeing it!!

Isabelle Huppert was utterly fantastic - one of the most enthralling, fascinating and multi-layered characters I've ever seen in a film and she completely gave life to the character. Crazy to think Emma Stone won the Oscar over the likes of this performance and Natalie Portman nocheer.gif

The film itself is really interesting and intense thriller too and Verhoeven deserves a lot of credit too for directing it. A shame that the film itself didn't get much mainstream awards attention cry.gif

Side note slightly but I liked the interpretation that Michèle had already tried to set up the murder of Patrick at the dinner scene but her son slept through it instead (hence why she tells him to watch the wine etc. so that he doesn't become too intoxicated to carry out the deed) and that was why she was writhing/screaming on the floor so long even after he had got up. I guess it was a bit ambiguous whether Michèle had organised the murder at the end or if she just happened to be lucky that her son was there to help but I like this interpretation the best. At the same time, it's so interesting because it is almost portrayed as a sexual game at times and the director himself even comments on the ambiguous ending:

Verhoeven in an interview: "No, I think it is still basically ambiguous. When the rapist gets hit, she gets up and takes the mask off of him. Then they look into each other’s eyes and then she smiles. It’s coincidence, isn’t it? The killing of the guy is a coincidence. It’s a misinterpretation by her son, who thinks that she’s been raped."

VERY interesting character drama and will keep me thinking about the different interpretations for quite some time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:55 AM