BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS | The SOLO Singles Rate 2017
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 15th September 2017, 12:59 AM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

In no-way is 'Crazy Stupid Love' is the worst of Cheryl's singles, '3 Words' & 'The Flood' are far, far worse, surely they can't last much longer on here surely. She has had some great material such as 'Fight For This Love', 'Parachute' & 'Call My Name'.

WOW is Nadine's solo stuff is well and truly terrible, such a shame as she had the best voice in the group and deserves much better songs than the tripe she's brought out, no wonder she hasn't gone anywhere expect down the toilet.

As for Sarah Harding, she was about 5 years too late for any chance at a solo career, who in the hell thought 'Threads' was a good choice for a first single, maybe back in 2007 or 2008 it might have had a chance at scraping the top 75, but now NO chance.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 15th September 2017, 01:00 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th September 2017, 03:25 AM
Post #42
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Sep 15 2017, 01:59 AM) *
WOW is Nadine's solo stuff is well and truly terrible, such a shame as she had the best voice in the group and deserves much better songs than the tripe she's brought out, no wonder she hasn't gone anywhere expect down the toilet.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 16th September 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #43
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

14. 5.89 The Flood (Cheryl)

The second Cheryl song to exit is 'The Flood', the 2nd and final single from 'Messy Little Raindrops'. The single was a commercial disaster for Cheryl, peaking at #18 it was (at the time) her lowest charting single of her career both with and without Girls Aloud. Cheryl performed the song live at the 2010 Royal Variety performance, with Prince Charles and Camilla in attendance. The song managed quite a few high scores in this rate, and listening back I can see why, the chorus is actually quite strong. Although not releasing 'Yeah Yeah' as a single will forever remain a mystery.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 20th September 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

I always thought 'The Flood' was reasonably popular. I always found it bland and a song that doesn't really warrant much opinion but I remember people really enjoying it when it was released.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 25th September 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #45
Group icon

13. 5.95 Heartbreaker (will.i.am ft. Cheryl Cole)

Is this the song that signalled the end of Girls Aloud? As part of The Passions Of Girls Aloud, Cheryl chose to learn street dancing in LA, which culminated in her appearing in will.i.am's new music video. However, the pair hit it off and Cheryl ended up featuring on the track. 'Heartbreaker' came at a time when Cheryl was in the headlines constantly, after Ashley Cole's infamous one night stand. A year later, Cheryl would be at peak national treasure status and will.i.am heavily involved in the production of her debut album. In the documentary 'Ten Years At The Top' that aired during the Girls Aloud reunion, Cheryl revealed that Will was the one who convinced her to go solo.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th September 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'The Flood' is probably my least favourite song about incontinence.

+Quote this post
post 25th September 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Heartbreaker was a huge bop!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 25th September 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #48
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 9 2017, 06:05 PM) *
The horn section in Crazy Stupid Love sounds like one of those Youtube edits where they edit a much-mangled noise and add it to a well-known song and so it's amusing to see the popstar dance to it.

Only this time, it was the actual song...

(sorry I will NEVER shut up about how horrid that section of 'music' is, genuinely one of the worst parts of a song I've ever heard and still can't to this day understand how it got released)

literally this:

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th September 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #49
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Heartbreaker's good. I scored it low due to Cheryl barely having any impact in it, bar the video.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th September 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I quite like 'Crazy Stupid Love' and I've never been bothered by the horn section, but I do think it was a safe release for Cheryl. It's catchy enough without having the same oomph as her previous leads. Hopefully she steps up to the mark with her next era.

I too thought 'The Flood' had more fans than this. I know I adored it at the time and was pretty gutted it only scraped the Top 20. I don't think my affection has held up quite as much but it's still a beauty and I have fond memories of it.

'Heartbreaker' is a bop and I think Cheryl works well on the track despite having barely singing input; I think it's just nice to hear a female voice come through. Of course, it was a fantastic move in the midst of Ashley's cheating and all the media attention it brought.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 28th September 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #51
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

The Flood and Heartbreaker feel in the right place.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 19th October 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #52
Group icon

12. 6.08 3 Words (Cheryl ft. will.i.am)

11. 6.24 Promise This (Cheryl)

Sorry for the delay in these results but we're back, and right in the middle of a Cheryl cull before we head into the top 10. '3 Words', the title track of her debut album reached #4 back in December 2009. One of her favourite songs from that album, Buzzjack it seems does not agree as it received 3 scores of -1. I love it though, I think it's easily the best song from her rather disappointing debut album so shame on you all!

In unlucky 11th it's 'Promise This', the lead single from her second album. Weeks before, Cheryl was at death's door battling malaria. That didn't stop her from not only making a full recovery, but also bagging herself her second solo #1 single. Although declaring she can't speak French with Girls Aloud, the future Mrs Fernandez-Versini indeed had French lyrics in the song. Not a classic #1 song by any means, but I still enjoy this a lot when I hear it. It received the full spectrum of scores, ranging from 0 to 10.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 19th October 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #53
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Glad to see these results back on track, so welcome back AdamAloud.

Not that keen of either of these Cheryl songs, '3 Words', I never liked even when her album was released and found that Will.i.am's awful production really ruined it, and don't agree that this was the best song on the album, 'Fight For This Love', 'Parachute' & 'Stand Up' were my faves. Didn't like it then, don't like it now and just find the song very dull and plodding.

'Promise This' = At the time I quite liked it, but now find that it's aged really badly and very annoying especially that bit at the beginning 'Aya doa doa' or whatever it is, just really bugged me and even the album 'Messy Little Raindrops' was awful and even worse than '3 Words', I know it was rushed to sustain momentum, but it well and truly shows and no wonder she didn't any further big hits from that era, 'The Flood' put a stop to that and ending the whole thing so soon, just made the entire thing pointless.

If I remember correctly wasn't 'Everyone' with Dizzie Rascal planned as the 3rd single or was it 'Yeah, Yeah', dunno can't really remember, well anyway they were both awful and would have scored minor success at best.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th October 2017, 11:45 PM
Post #54
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042

'3 Words' is so good. Really under appreciated. sad.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th October 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #55
Group icon

3 Words (song) is definitely underappreciated here, such a gem in her back catalogue! I love the mood of it.

Also Yeah Yeah is great! One of her best tracks from across her albums. Tut tut, SamJudd... nono.gif Tbh I think Messy Little Raindrops gets too much of a hard time. Beyond its singles & Yeah Yeah, other highlights include Hummingbird & Waiting. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th October 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'3 Words' is too low! I must admit that the spelling out of words (M E T O O) is a bit cringe but otherwise the vibe of the song is wonderful.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th January 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #57
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

OK we're finishing this off once and for all, so here's #6-10!

10. 6.84 I Don't Care
9. 6.89 Only Human
8. 7.08 Under the Sun
7. 7.63 Lucky Day
6. 7.89 Parachute (fewer 10s)

Cheryl's record-breaking track I Don't Care made her the first British female to get five UK #1 singles, and interestingly it ensured Only Human became her first album to house more than one #1 single! It tailed off annoyingly quick but it's a big favourite of mine, incredibly catchy and infectious.

Speaking of Only Human, the title track is just above. It got a pretty terrible single mix, making one of Cheryl's most unique tracks into a generic drum and bass mess. Thankfully, they saw sense and ignored it in the music video. Nevertheless, the song performed terribly anyway, not re-entering the top 100 when its single release came about, and was ignored by radio all round.

Rewind a couple more years and Cheryl scored a top 20 hit with the second single from A Million Lights. Under the Sun wasn't my first choice for a single, much preferring Screw You, but it performed solidly all round.

A brief Cheryl break now, as Nicola's second single Lucky Day drops out at #7. While the song only peaked at #40, it seems mostly well-loved by fans hence its high placing here! I personally love the track, and it definitely deserved more in the charts.

Finally, Cheryl's first album produced three big hits, with Parachute being the final one. It only *just* loses out on a top 10 placing, with fewer 10s from you guys than the #5 placed song!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th January 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #58
Group icon

I'd definitely have I Don't Care above Only Human, Under the Sun and Lucky Day if I was ranking them. Parachute should be in the Top 5 too! cry.gif

Positions #3-5 coming soon. cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd January 2018, 01:22 AM
Post #59
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'I Don't Care' kind of encapsulates what annoys me about the vast majority of Cheryl's music in that it sounds so painfully cheap. That's one thing I've never got, she'd been one of the biggest and most sought after names in the music industry so why couldn't they splash out on some decent production for her music?

It kind of makes me think they knew they'd make megabucks on it so could cut corners with minimal expenditure.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd May 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #60
Group icon

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 20 2018, 09:04 PM) *
Positions #3-5 coming soon. cool2.gif

sarah11.png