BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Malta · Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Ira Losco - Walk On Water
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post Sep 5 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Malta
Ira Losco - Walk On Water

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Sep 5 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Malta to select their 2016 entry in January

Valletta, Malta - PBS have just published the set of regulations of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest, which will lead to the selection of the Maltese representation in the 2016 Eurovision to be held in Stockholm next May. It was back in November 2014 that Malta previously staged a national final, following their highly successful staging of the 2014 Junior Eurovision Song Contest. Now they have reverted back to their normal pattern of staging their national final in January, and have announced the rules and format for their 2016 entry.

All artists participating in lead role must be of Maltese nationality or hold dual citizenship, one of which Maltese. Authors and composers may be of any nationality. Submissions will be received on the 29th and 30th of October 2015. In addition to the original song, artists need to submit a recording of another song, which can be a cover version, or a song that has already been published.

Twenty finalists will be announced in November 2015. The finalists will perform live with backing vocals in the Contest. The panel of Judges will be made up of six judges. Televoting will represent the vote of a seventh judge. Artists will be allowed to interpret two different songs during Part One of the Final phase. Fourteen songs will qualify for the Final phase (Part Two). An artist will be allowed to interpret one song during Part Two of the final phase.

The full regulations of the contest may be downloaded by sending an email to mesc@pbs.com.mt. In 2015, Malta just missed out on qualification for the Grand Final, as Amber finished in 11th place in Semi-Final Two.

Eurovision.tv

I say this every year, but I hope Malta can finally get a Eurovision win at some point. They put an incredible amount of effort into hosting Junior Eurovision, and the passion from the Maltese is up there with the Scandinavians.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Dec 3 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
Ira Losco has submitted 2 entries! ohmy.gif

http://www.tvm.com.mt/mt/news/imhabbra-s-s...g-contest-2016/

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 7 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Very exciting news! I read somewhere that Ira is of "Madonna-status" in Malta even now so this is a massive deal, although we all know how the Maltese love Eurovision. Hopefully she has a great song as it'd be fab to have her back in Eurovision after 14 years. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 11 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The semi-finalists are:

01 Maxine Pace - “Young Love”
02 Deborah C - “All Around the World”
03 Laurence Gray - “You’re Beautiful”
04 Brooke - “Golden”
05 Raquel Galdes - “Flashing Lights”
06 Corazon (Mizzi) - “Falling Glass”
07 Kimberley Cortis - “Lighthouse”
08 Jasmine Abela - “Alive”
09 Domenique Azzopardi - “Empty Hearted”
10 Jessika - “The Flame”
11 Daniel Testa - “Under The Sun”
12 Ira Losco - “That's Why I love You”
13 Franklin - “Little Love”
14 Dario Mifsud Bonnici - “I love You”
15 Dominic - “Fire Burn”
16 Danica Muscat - “Frontline”
17 Ira Losco - “Chameleon (Invincible)”
18 Christabelle Borg - “Kingdom”
19 Sarah Crystal - “Right Here With You”
20 Stefan Galea - “Light Up My Life”

Ira getting 2 songs in! *.*

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Dec 12 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #6
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Doubt any will be up to Destiny's standard thou

+Quote this post
LexC
post Dec 24 2015, 01:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
Malta have blessed us with a christmas gift and uploaded the studio versions here for those of us who don't fancy the five hour long live show.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 24 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Only listened to Chameleon so far and it is very good. The chorus not as big as I hoped, a little revamp to give it a bit more oomph might be a good idea but the best thing about it is the middle 8 with the frantic strings (I think they are strings?). I can imagine a great stage performance for this with a big light show and frantic violinists on stage!

If Ira wasn't performing it I'm not sure it'd be such an obvious contender, but would the Maltese jury (televoters barely matter in this selection) really let go the chance to send again arguably their most successful Eurovision performer ever (along with Chiara of course but Ira was closer to the top than Angel was)?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Dec 24 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Can they not bring back Destiny?

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 24 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
She's too busy being the star reporter at the artist reveal show ohmy.gif

But Malta are surely going to do amazing in the 2020s when Gaia, Federica and Destiny are all eligible for the main contest!

(Also in that video its so strange how they speak Maltese but then say whole phrases in English as if its part of their language, I guess they've adopted certain phrases! heehee.gif)

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Dec 24 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Ira Losco!!!! Hope she gets through, I've followed her career ever since Eurovision, she had some fantastic rocky songs in the late 00s.

This is my favourite post 7th Wonder single of hers:

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 25 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
From what I gather, Ira is still the most popular female artist in Malta over 13 years after Eurovision, winning awards with every album - she's basically the Maltese equivalent of someone like Cheryl Cole but even *more* popular and successful! I'm guessing it'd be a pretty big shock if Ira didn't win, especially when she has a solid song in Chameleon. That said I'd be more confident if it was a televote rather than 7/8ths of the vote relying on jury so you never know.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Dec 25 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
Knowing that the Maltese Eurovision selection process is hardly a bastion of openness and democracy, I can't see PBS trying to dampen a national treasure by making her come second. Initial thoughts on 'Chameleon' are that it would be a good qualifier but would struggle to get left hand side.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 25 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yeah that sounds about right, if I was pushed I'd suggest it'd get Albania's favourite position of 17th in the final. It could sneak top half with a revamp, they need to go full on dance in the chorus and the resulting post-chorus "breakdowns/instrumentals" as it just feels a little watered down when it could be a massive dance anthem along the lines of 'Euphoria' - the beginning of the song reminds me of the beginning of 'Euphoria'. The strings in the latter half of the song definitely give it a bit of a Clean Bandit feel too, there's a lot to work with here if it did win and could be transformed into a big hit.

Ira does have a budget behind her, she released the first single from her new album (which will also contain her Eurovision songs) last week:

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 25 2015, 12:53 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Shout out to this Meghan Trainor rip-off though which is quite fun:

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Jan 13 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Semi-final running order:

01. Ira Losco – Chameleon (Invincible)
02. Corazón – Falling Glass
03. Stefan Galea – Light Up My Life
04. Domenique Azzopardi – Empty Hearted
05. Dario – I Love You
06. Daniel Testa – Under the Sun
07. Jessika – The Flame
08. Jasmine Abela – Alive
09. Raquel – Flashing Lights
10. Brooke – Golden
11. Kim – Lighthouse
12. Sarah Crystal – Right Here With You
13. Danica – Frontline
14. Christabelle – Kingdom
15. Franklin – Little Love
16. Dominic – Fire Burn
17. Ira Losco – That’s Why I Love You
18. Laurence Gray – You’re Beautiful
19. Maxine – Young Love
20. Deborah C – All Around the World

Only one Ira song is allowed to make the final, so I hope that Chameleon gets chosen despite the unfavourable running order draw!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Jan 22 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Arguably, if you were to believe some people, the winner of MESC will actually be decided tonight considering Ira's popularity and the fact only one of her two songs is allowed to progress to the final. Generally Eurovision fans including myself prefer Chameleon, but it's running order draw in comparison to That's Why I Love You is worrying. Although I do have the feeling that That's Why I Love You would be a much safer qualifier than Chameleon as the latter would rely on great staging and probably a revamp, where's the former is a ready to go safe but well sung pop ballad which would qualify if in the second half of the draw.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Jan 22 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Chameleon is Ira's qualifier! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Jan 23 2016, 12:28 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
TONIGHT'S NATIONAL FINAL...

MALTA
Malta Eurovision Song Contest

23rd January 2016
Begins at 7.50pm in the UK, 8.50pm in Malta and Central Europe
The show is scheduled to last 3 hours 10 minutes

Watch the selection at Eurovision.tv or via the official TVM webcast

Running Order
Click ♫ to listen to the studio versions of each song!

01 | Deborah C - All Around The World
02 | Franklin - Little Love
03 | Daniel Testa - Under The Sun
04 | Brooke - Golden
05 | Raquel - Flashing Lights
06 | Christabelle - Kingdom
07 | Corazón - Falling Glass
08 | Dominic - Fire Burn
09 | Jessika - The Flame
10 | Jasmine - Alive
11 | Lawrence Gray - You're Beautiful
12 | Maxine - Young Love
13 | Ira Losco - Chameleon (Invincible)
14 | Kim - Lighthouse

Voting
The voting will consist of 5/6ths jury voting and 1/6th televoting. Each of the five jurors will give out points using the classic Eurovision points system and these jurors are Nick Clark-Lowes, a British video designer with international experience; Vyara Ankova, the head of Bulgarian National Television; Sabrija Vulić, the head of the Montenegrin Eurovision delegation; Luke Fisher, a British Eurovision journalist; and Quinton Scerri a TV producer and presenter in Malta. The televoting will then also give out a set of Eurovision-style points. Therefore, a maximum of 72 points will be on offer (unless more jurors turn up for the final than in the semi-final).

Potential Winners?
Ira Losco is considered a strong favourite by many, especially due to her immense popularity in Malta ever since her runner-up finish in Eurovision behind Marie N of Latvia in 2002. That said, we can't rule out 16-year-old Maxine who was top of the Betfair odds that appeared earlier today (although Ira's songs were not available in this betting market), and Christabelle who was second in those odds. These three are probably considered to be the main contenders by fan forums too, with Jasmine, Daniel Testa and Franklin potentially having outside chances also.

Further Information
The one and only Destiny Chukunyere will be the opening act of the final following her victory in the 2015 Junior Eurovision Song Contest. Destiny will also return for more performances during the interval act, which will also feature performances from last year's Maltese representative Amber. It is also worth taking note that the rules of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest since a change in rules prior to Amber's victory state that this selection is only to determine the artist to be sent to the Eurovision Song Contest, with the possibility of a song change. Rumours arose yesterday that if Ira were to win, there is a possibility she would change her song but it remains to be seen if that will be the case.

Further details available at Eurovision.tv

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Jan 23 2016, 12:39 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
So now we've got past the hurdle of losing one of Ira's songs, and the better one has survived, I am fully supporting Ira and Chameleon! And for a change my favourite has an amazing running order position, not that it matters as much with such a jury-dominated vote - still useful though. I can imagine Chameleon on a Eurovision stage with some crazy violin players and light show in that middle 8 into the final chorus, there's a lot of potential there and Ira has said in a recent interview that she believes the performance of a song on any sort of stage is very important in a song. I can see Chameleon being a Eurovision top 10 with quite a bit of work, but as it stands now I think it would be a fairly safe qualifier unless it gets a horrendous semi-final draw.

From the others, Maxine's semi-final performance was great and this is the sort of thing that could do a Gianluca and end up in a Eurovision top 10 for being so happy and cute (or completely flop in the semi-finals). It is so Meghan Trainor but works very very well and I can see her pulling in votes for those looking for something along the lines of Destiny's Junior Eurovision winner as they are a similar genre, and Maxine is only 16 as well. Maxine is surely a future Maltese representative even if not in 2016. Christabelle's song has continued to grow on me as well, there's quite a lot of solid songs in this selection from what I've heard! Jasmine's is very Helena Paparizou 'Survivor', even more so than Amber was last year.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:20 AM