BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Radio 1 to play edited version of Fairytale of New York
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post 19th November 2020, 01:46 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

What I will say is that they should just censor it without feeling the need to announce it, just like every other censored song. That way, a small fraction of people will probably even notice and therefor care. A few other stations like Heart blank the word and have for years and there's like....no uproar?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th November 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(365 @ Nov 19 2020, 01:46 PM) *
What I will say is that they should just censor it without feeling the need to announce it, just like every other censored song. That way, a small fraction of people will probably even notice and therefor care. A few other stations like Heart blank the word and have for years and there's like....no uproar?

That's very true actually. It just feeds into making it more of an issue than it should be.

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,478

QUOTE(steveh31 @ Nov 19 2020, 01:44 PM) *
Maybe Radio should consider re-editing it then as "damp bottom vagina" then they wouldn't need to censor it seeing as though they rate their listeners as unable to cope with certain words.

So to be clear you think that any song should be played uncensored at any time of day, no matter what the lyrical content is?

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th November 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #24
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 01:47 PM) *
So to be clear you think that any song should be played uncensored at any time of day, no matter what the lyrical content is?

Hot take: yes

Slightly more lukewarm take: maybe limit overly explicit songs to post-watershed but there's no need to censor out every rogue swear word / drug reference etc. in normal pop songs during the daytime.

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 19th November 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #25
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

Uproar = advertising = more listeners!

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Yeah, they never should have reversed the decision to censor it a few years ago. It just feeds into these bad faith arguments that keep being made as to why this song should not be censored and this dumb “defund the BBC!!!!!l” narrative that right wing nutcases keep perpetuating.

+Quote this post
steveh31
post 19th November 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,175

QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 02:47 PM) *

Maybe ask the artist why they feel the need to use wet ass pussy then and why aren't radio 1 going this song is disgusting we are not going to play it even censored, maybe if radio 1 stopped playing all songs that have offensive lyrics the artists may realise and stop using them but radio 1 encourages artists to make songs like this.

How many people complaining about Fairytale of New York have actually complained about Wet Ass Pussy?

Let radio 1 play both of them unedited and see which one gets them a fine from ofcom and see which one most people complain about being played unedited.

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Bré @ Nov 19 2020, 01:49 PM) *
Hot take: yes

Slightly more lukewarm take: maybe limit overly explicit songs to post-watershed but there's no need to censor out every rogue swear word / drug reference etc. in normal pop songs during the daytime.

So songs that contain anti Semitic, racist and homophobic references should have feee reign to be played on Radio 1 at any time of day, as long as there’s not too much swearing in the song?

+Quote this post
Hallucinate
post 19th November 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,759

Personally the use of that word in the song doesn’t bother me. However I do think it should be censored and should have been 10+ years ago, it signals to a new generation each year that it’s OK to use that word.

Sadly, most straight people are unable to have a sensible conversation about this, that word being kept in the song is seen as some sort of win for the free speech brigade.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th November 2020, 01:56 PM
Post #30
Group icon

QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 01:53 PM) *
So songs that contain anti Semitic, racist and homophobic references should have feee reign to be played on Radio 1 at any time of day, as long as there’s not too much swearing in the song?

Openly racist / homophobic songs are not in the remit of 'normal pop songs' I am referring to. Those kind of songs shouldn't get mainstream radio play at all.

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 01:56 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(steveh31 @ Nov 19 2020, 01:52 PM) *
Maybe ask the artist why they feel the need to use wet ass pussy then and why aren't radio 1 going this song is disgusting we are not going to play it even censored, maybe if radio 1 stopped playing all songs that have offensive lyrics the artists may realise and stop using them but radio 1 encourages artists to make songs like this.

How many people complaining about Fairytale of New York have actually complained about Wet Ass Pussy?

Let radio 1 play both of them unedited and see which one gets them a fine from ofcom and see which one most people complain about being played unedited.

I’m afraid I have no idea what your point is...you object to lyrics about females exploring their sexuality, but not lyrics about straight people using “faggot” as a slur? The point is that Radio 1 censor WAP and not Fairytale, so I have no idea what your argument is.

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Bré @ Nov 19 2020, 01:56 PM) *
Openly racist / homophobic songs are not in the remit of 'normal pop songs' I am referring to. Those kind of songs shouldn't get mainstream radio play at all.

But Fairytale is openly homophobic and you’re suggesting that gets mainstream play and is uncensored?

+Quote this post
steveh31
post 19th November 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Hallucinate @ Nov 19 2020, 02:55 PM) *
Personally the use of that word in the song doesn’t bother me. However I do think it should be censored and should have been 10+ years ago, it signals to a new generation each year that it’s OK to use that word.

Sadly, most straight people are unable to have a sensible conversation about this, that word being kept in the song is seen as some sort of win for the free speech brigade.

I am a gay man and I am the song should be left alone if you don't like it turn the song off the lyric comes on halfway through just mute the sound for 5 seconds it's not as if you do not know when it will appear.

+Quote this post
steveh31
post 19th November 2020, 02:00 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 02:56 PM) *
I’m afraid I have no idea what your point is...you object to lyrics about females exploring their sexuality, but not lyrics about straight people using “faggot” as a slur? The point is that Radio 1 censor WAP and not Fairytale, so I have no idea what your argument is.

wet ass pussy is not a woman exploring her sexuality it is done to get people talking and idiots to buy the song.

This post has been edited by steveh31: 19th November 2020, 02:00 PM

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 19th November 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #35
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

For some reason I thought that it had been censored for a while now, I'm glad there's a proper version being released rather than a Radio 1 edit as well laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th November 2020, 02:05 PM
Post #36
Group icon

QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 01:57 PM) *
But Fairytale is openly homophobic and you’re suggesting that gets mainstream play and is uncensored?

I said I'm not bothered about this being censored. There's certainly more reason to censor this imo than most of the other songs that do get censored.

I disagree with categorising this song as 'openly homophobic', there's a thing called context. Obviously times have changed now and maybe that context doesn't matter any more and it should just be censored anyway, that's fine by me ~

Radio censorship is more and more a fruitless endeavour as radio becomes less of a relevant format. Surely the vast majority of young people are listening to music primarily uncensored on the Internet these days.

+Quote this post
iain
post 19th November 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Bré @ Nov 19 2020, 02:05 PM) *
I said I'm not bothered about this being censored. There's certainly more reason to censor this imo than most of the other songs that do get censored.

I disagree with categorising this song as 'openly homophobic', there's a thing called context. Obviously times have changed now and maybe that context doesn't matter any more and it should just be censored anyway, that's fine by me ~

To be clear, the term “faggot” was as degrading and offensive to gay men in 1987 as it is today, it’s just that most gay men didn’t have any platform or opportunity to express this, and many straight people didn’t care about homophobia. That is the context that needs highlighting.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th November 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #38
Group icon

And the song is not depicting the word being used in a positive light. We're not supposed to be rooting for the people in a drunken argument in the song.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th November 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Maybe the reaction to its use in the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special last year prompted them to re-think it specifically this year?

I'm pleased by this move as I feel the context has been eclipsed by the word being more commonly associated as a derogatory term. So to me that leans towards the criteria that other censored words on the radio face. The song still gets to exist and people triggered by the word can feel more at ease. Sounds good to me.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th November 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon

I do agree with this as well by the way. Announcing this in advance is just asking to reignite the 'controversy' and embolden actual homophobes (I'm sure some people would notice and rage about it again without an announcement but probably less than will happen in reaction to this). But whatever, hopefully now the decision is made the book can be closed on this issue going forward ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:25 PM