BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jordan Lee’s ranking of Kylies studio albums, Predictions welcome and discussion.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post Nov 3 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Yes, let the hype of the disco album settle in before you do your reveal as your posts may get overlooked.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 14 2020, 01:06 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
SO after DISCO release week has finally passed I will be revealing this after the weekend.

I just need to hear Kiss Me Once and Golden in full which I’ll do tomorrow and Sunday and then by Monday I’ll begin doing my countdowns. I had planned to hear them all in order which I did right up till Aphrodite but I caved and heard DISCO first as I wanted to experience hearing an album for the first time at the same time as the fanbase did laugh.gif

I’m expecting some of you to be a bit surprised by how high one of her albums ranks for me but you’ll see which one that is in due course laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 14 2020, 03:42 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Oh I'm wondering what's your surprise, we know its not kiss me once as you gave to listen to yet so maybe you are referring to body language.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 16 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Jord
SO!

The Countdown will begin at some point this very evening and I’ll be revealing what my TWO least favourite albums from her are!

+Quote this post
markivj
post Nov 16 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 78,351
This sounds like such an exciting thread. Listening to her PWL stuff in 2020 for the first time! I'm so used to K from 1988 I've sort of grown with the sound. That said, I will tell you my favourite K album of all time is still Rhythm of Love. Best 4 pop singles EVER! Not to mention the album tracks are also quite good.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 16 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Jord
SO here goes.......

(A reminder that the Christmas album isn’t included in these rankings)

14TH PLACE: LETS GET TO IT
(score 38/100)

UK peak: #15
Sales: 70k+

Kylies fourth album and her fourth consecutive annual release.

This album doesn’t start of as strong as what her other albums released prior to this did. Word is Out isn’t bad but not a great opener as it doesn’t tend to leave that much of a lasting impression.

Give Me Just A Little More Time is better in terms of it leaving more of an impression yet again it’s not exactly full of personality what Kylies music usually has bundles of.

Too Much Of A Good Thing again just went totally over my head. This is definitely now beginning to feel like a real departure to her earlier work but not necessarily in a good way. Like there’s just not much anything to this.

Finer Feelings again went over my head. I’m really just drawn into the production of this album and lyrically I also don’t feel this is very strong either. Another track what just plods on but doesn’t really make me wanna hear it again. She does actually vocally sound good on it but there’s something not clicking with me this era.

If You Were With Me Now is the first track of this album what’s a hit with me. I’m a definite fan of this the best track on the album so far both vocally lyrically. Yeah I feel this! Their voices compliment each other well.

Let’s Get To It again is one of the stronger moments on this for me. It’s still nowhere near pretty much everything on Rhythm of Love but it is pleasant enough although a tad too long.

Right Here Right Now follows on taking almost a whole minute to get into it with the lyrics. It’s again going back to the tracks what don’t exactly hit me much. Not a real highlight for me.

Live and Learn is one of the better tracks amongst the album tracks. Probably one the few from this I could actually see myself going back too so this is a triumph.

No World Without You is a real change of pace. Not much production almost acoustic esque vibes to it. Her voice is quite exposed on this. She does sound quite well on this though. However it’s a bit MOR and dated sounding.

I Guess I Like It Like That a 6 minute closing track. I wasn’t too sure what to think of this on first listen the initial instrumental really reminded me of something else and it is a bit manic. It’s definitely amongst the slightly better tracks on this album it probably is a bit too long though but it does end a subpar album on a bit of a high.

Overall, she does sound quite good vocally but ultimately there’s something not quite hitting me about this album. There’s almost a ran out of ideas kinda vibe to this album. It’s surprising reading that this album actually took the longest to record of any of her albums released at this point in her career because it sounds more dated than Rhythm of Love and is her least cohesive album at this point in her career too. There’s just no lasting impression with pretty much everything on this.

Thankfully this was her last album released under Pete Waterman! It’s also no surprise this missed the top ten as well and isn’t amongst her best sellers I can see how this didn’t capture the GP.

Score: 38/100

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 16 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Jord
13TH PLACE: KISS ME ONCE
(score 47/100)

UK Peak #2
UK Sales 90k+

So prior to hearing this in full my expectations for this weren’t *that* high. I know it’s not a real fan favourite. But like all her albums I went in with a real open mind and didn’t really take too much of others opinions so here goes.

Into The Blue opens the album and I think this is a really underrated track from her tbh definitely amongst her most underrated lead singles. I’ve always really loved it. I like the lyrics and the vocals on it too. It’s one of those tracks what kinda makes you reminisce.

Million Miles follows and I think this is rather catchy. It’s not like ground breaking or anything but it’s pretty catchy and again I do kinda like the production on this. The sound of this is kinda dated for its time it’s more 00s sounding than 10s decade sounding. But I do think this is catchy.

I was Gonna Cancel I’m less sure of. It’s not terrible but it’s not that great either. It’s a tad beneath her sort of like she’s better than this song but the song isn’t bad. A strange choice for a single too.

Sexy Love is quite a bop tbh. I think this could’ve worked as a single if given a full push. This is rather catchy though definitely liking this.

Sexcercize however I’m less keen on. Not that great a bit of a drag to listen to. Parts of the production I like but lyrically I’m not a fan of it at all.

Feels Like Good is more like it. The sultry vocals and laid back slight dark approach to the production I like this one on first listen. Again it’s not really groundbreaking but I do like this on first listen.

If Only is quite good on first listen. I like the vocals on the chorus but there’s not much else to say on it. It doesn’t leave a huge lasting impression on it other than it just being nice.

Les Sex. So again another song with Sex in the title. This is perhaps the most Kylie sounding song here by the opening of the track. It’s slightly dated but it’s the first time her personality has translated to the album.

The title track follows and it’s nice but that’s kinda it. It almost just went over my head but after another listen it’s kinda just nice. A bit bland not bad just lacking a bit of something to spice it up a bit.

Beautiful follows with an Imogen Heap esque opening. The track features Enrique and their voices actually kinda compliment each other rather well. The chorus really reminds me of Imogen Heap I don’t know if it’s a sample. This is actually my favourite on this album aside from Into The Blue. I’d never heard this before now and I’ve missed out!

Fine again is actually amongst the strongest on this. I like the vocals and the production. It’s rather soothing but it is definitely very Kylie sounding and the production sounds rather of its time as well. There was definitely early / mid 10s decade tracks what has this kinda production to it. A good way of closing the standard edition of the album.

Bonus tracks

Mr President. Ok what is this. Part of this remind me of a song from Madonna’s MDNA album called Some Girls. I think it’s the spoken parts of the song on the opening and parts of the production are similar. Its got a lot of personality but lyrically it’s not the best. The production snaps on this though after the first chorus. I think it should’ve been on the standard.

Sleeping With The Enemy again is actually quite strong and should’ve been in the standard. One of the best lyrically on the album and she sounds great on it as well. Those breathy vocals.

So on the whole, I feel like this is kinda almost beneath her as a whole album. I feel like this was kinda Roc Nation almost making Kylie something she wasn’t. It was kinda aimed at a market that wasn’t hers and it doesn’t feel like essential fun Kylie. It isn’t a bad album but it just isn’t like fitting to her personality or her strengths but it doesn’t feel much like her.

Some of the tracks just don’t leave much of an impression and it lacks a bit of personality and an overall theme / vibe to it. Kylie albums are usually always dripping in personality but this kinda isn’t. Looking at an album what has so many producers and writers etc it is perhaps a bit overworked as the focus as an album isn’t there.

Then we have bonus tracks what should’ve been on the main version!

I’m pleased this was her one and only album under Roc Nation! Kylie works better when her albums have more of a theme and a cohesive nature. This is kinda like a slight blip in her career from an artistic point of view.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 16 2020, 03:01 PM
Post #28
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
These are great reviews & totally agree that these 2 are easily Kylie's worst studio albums. "Let's Get To It" - lacks a strong lead single with 'Word Is Out' felt like such a downgrade when compared to her last album 'ROL' & its killer run of singles. 'Word Is Out' was okay & has grown on me through the years slightly. Maybe 'Too Much of a Good Thing' could have worked as the lead (if it wasn't so overproduced & not so dominated by the backing singers).

There were some high points like the classy 'Finer Feelings' - which was easily the best single from this era, 'If You Were With Me Now' was a stunning ballad & 'Right Here Right Now' was another fun track. 'Give Me Just A Little More' was just totally safe single choice. The rest of the album was simply filler.

'Kiss Me Once' - This did have a strong lead single with 'Into The Blue' & a couple of other decent tracks like 'If Only', 'Les Sex', & 'Sleeping With The Enemy', 'Fine' would have been better if again wasn't so overproduced, the title track was nice but Kylie's vocals were a bit too nasally. Having 3 tracks with 'Sex' in the titles were a bit much. On the whole the album was a bit bland with some very questionable choices, the terrible auto-tune on 'Beautiful', the awkwardly out-dated dub step on 'Sexercise' & the cold production on 'I Was Gonna Cancel'. These moments really brings the album down.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 16 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Jord
Thanks for that response Nina!

Good to see someone else share the same opinions I agree with a lot of what you said there as well!

Intrigued to hear what others think as well. I’ll be revealing my next two least favourites tomorrow as well keep a look out for those happy.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 16 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Lets get to it is by far her weakest pwl album, at the time it was even a bigger letdown following rhythm of love which was so good and the singles were just on top of their game and word is out was disappointing at the time especially following the brilliant 4 singles from rhythm of love. Lets get to it has grown on me over the years and same for word is out as i really like it now and in many ways it was brave lead single.I have always liked if you were with me now and give me just a little more time i prefer less now than i did when released.

For me i much prefer lets get to it to kiss me once. No matter how hard i have tried to warm to kiss me once it just does nothing for me apart from into the blue and les sex, if they included cryslaize on the album it would have saved it a little bit for me. Kiss me once i can say wont be an album i will be playing in the future and i have no worries in the cd getting scratched, definitely an album for the collection only but if not released by kylie, i would never have bought it.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 16 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
The single version of 'Finer Feelings' totally makes the song, check that out if you can!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 16 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
While im not a huge finer feelings fan the single version is the best version.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 16 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Jord
After hearing the single version of Finer Feelings I can agree it’s better!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 17 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Jord
12TH PLACE - KYLIE (Score 51/100)

UK Peak: #1 (6 weeks)
UK Sales: 2m+

So Kylie’s first ever album is a concise pop debut. Listening to the original standard version and seeing it’s just ten tracks long I was hoping there’d be little to no filler on here.

Opening with I Will Be So Lucky the album is off to a strong start. There aren’t many more songs what really kick started a huge career and whilst it is a fair bit cheesy it is still a bop and an important moment in her career.

Following on from this we get The Locomotion which again is a bop and a song we all know and love. A strong opening for sure! And I can definitely understand why both of these tracks went on to become huge singles.

Je Ne Sais Pourqoui isn’t as strong as the first two tracks but again it’s charming enough. I can definitely appreciate it as a debut album track but if it had been on an era past say album 3 I perhaps wouldn’t like it as much. Very 80s young female sounding though. It’s No Secret followed and I loved it! Unless I’ve lived under a rock I don’t recall ever hearing it before but it was a pleasant surprise a catchy chorus and some powerful vocals (those oooh’s before the chorus).

Got To Be Certain is another bop. Probably the most dated of the singles of this era but it is pleasant enough but not a highlight on this for me.

Turn It Into Love however is a bit corny and dated as hell She actually does sound kinda good on it it’s just probably the weakest moment on the album lyrically.

I Miss You isn’t much better either sadly. I can see why this wasn’t given a single push. The vocals throughout what aren’t hers ruin it a bit and it just doesn’t really go anywhere tbh.

I’ll Still Be Loving You again isn’t much better. They definitely picked the best tracks to represent the album as singles as the album tracks aren’t that strong at all.

Look My way brings back the album and is a return to the strong pop numbers we heard earlier. I can see why it wasn’t a single but it’s definitely one of the better album tracks here and a real hidden gem! I can imagine a dance break happening mid way through the song during that instrumental break and I quite like the production on this too.

Ending the album on Love At First Sight which definitely isn’t to be confused with the track on Fever. It’s a real bop and a cute album closer. The production on this is again one of the stronger moments on the album and the track again is one of the stronger moments in the album and definitely one of the better album tracks too. This is something I can imagine sounding wild at an aerobics class at the 80’s a definite hairbrush in the mirror song.

So my thoughts on this as a whole is that the production is obviously dated and of its time but that’s kinda to be expected for an album what was released 7 years before I was even born.

For an album to sell over 2m as well I would expect it to be good and it is for a debut record. I can see why it was so big but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s deserving of being her best selling album as I kinda feel there’s definitely room to grow from an artistic perspective. But if you ever want to escape the mess that is the world right now then this is probably an album for you. For a short album I was hoping the album as a whole might’ve been stronger but for a debut album I’d say it’s a triumph. The main strength I’d say the album has is that it is kinda cohesive for a debut album and there’s a definite theme of like bubblegum pop throughout. It isn’t trying to be anything other than it is. It definitely brought a smile to my face and I was humming my way along to it. However I was hopeful that better albums would be to come as her career progressed and that did turn out to be the case!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 17 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Jord
11TH PLACE: ENJOY YOURSELF (Score 54/100)

UK Peak: #1 (1 week)
UK Sales: 1m+

When you have a huge pop debut it’s a risky time in an artists career when it comes to album two as it can go one of two ways. Whilst some artists suffer the sophomore slump some manage to sustain that early success into another era and that’s exactly what Kylie manages to do here. Whilst her debut is still her highest seller to date her second album titled Enjoy Yourself still pushed 1m copies in the UK.

Like her debut album the original standard edition of the album is just 10 tracks long.

Opening with Hand On Your Heart and the album kicks off with a strong sound. Not exactly miles away from what was on her debut album but that’s not a bad thing it’s good pop done well and it’s a great opener.

Wouldn’t Change A Thing again follows on nicely and is a nice pop song with some guitar during the chorus. It’s not as in your face as Hand On Your Heart but it doesn’t let the pace down so, so far it’s 2/2 on here for me. Again I don’t think this is too different from album one.

Never Too Late again follows the strong pop theme and the oooh’s backing vocals are in full force on the chorus. This was an instant one for me and I’d probably hear this again on its own. It’s like guilty pleasure music but good.

Nothing To Lose is where the album starts to go downward. After a strong three track start this isn’t all great for me. Just a bit too repetitive and it’s the most dated sounding song I’ve heard from her discography so far.

Tell Tale Signs brings it back though! Ballad Kylie. This is a little change of pace and I’m liking it. I’ve not heard a ballad yet across her album tracks and she actually sounds pretty great on this. It’s production is so 80’s ballad but this is actually really good!

My Secret Heart continues the stronger vocals. These two tracks are where I’m beginning to see progression from album 1 to 2 as the first four tracks could’ve all easily been on her debut album. I’m also liking this as well on first listen.

I’m Over Dreaming (Over You) is back to the pure pop moments. I don’t know why it reminded me of Rick Astley (and not his signature song!) but it really did for some reason. Yeah this is back to the fun pop she does good. It’s still a good song though.

Tears On My Pillow was like the track I was most familiar with pre listening to this and I still do like it tbh. It’s cheesy but again it’s good. She does sound good on it as well in terms of her singles this was like the first to be a bit different from her. I like the production of this it’s almost Motown esque in places. A bit Dusty like as well. This is probably the strongest track on here for me but I fear that could be because I was familiar with this one beforehand.

Heaven and Earth is another more mellow moment but a one that’s not as strong as Tears or Tell Tale Signs. It’s pleasant enough but lacks a bit punch for me. It then leads us to the end of the album with the albums title track Enjoy Yourself closing things. And I really like this! It’s a great way to close things and it’s a real toe tapper. It’s one of the better tracks from the poppier / upbeat tracks and the production isn’t actually too dated sounding on here too loving the backing vocals “ooooh’s” here too.

So yeah after a listen of this as an album. It’s kinda just like her debut album but expanded in the first four songs.
Like in 2010s / 20s those could act as a re release and slay it’s basically just her debut album repacked.

I would say this is slightly better as a whole package than what her debut was though. As much as it is very similar throughout in places this is ever so slightly better as a whole and it does contain a vocal highlight (at this point in her career) in Tell Tale Signs. Throughout id probably say this is better vocally as well which is why I’d rank it higher than her debut.

It’s still for me a bit like she’s still finding herself / vying for control though. I know later in her career she’s more involved in her work so I am excited for what’s to come. Essentially This is bubblegum cheesy pop done well!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 17 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Jord
The next two albums will be revealed tomorrow and I think both of these could be shocks!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 17 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Kylie and Enjoy Yourself are albums I remain to hold lots of love for especially Enjoy Yourself which is one of my all time favourite Kylie albums.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 17 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #38
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Again some fantastic reviews jij & yeah this would be where I'd place Kylie's debut also. Don't get me wrong I'll always have a soft spot for it as this was my first ever vinyl when I was a kid. At only 10 tracks it was short & sweet, and find every track enjoyable in their own way. Its pure guilty pleasure cheesfest that will always have that nostalgia feel to it. Kylie has come a very long way since then & I know some people find this cringey, however I love it & everybody's gotta start somewhere.

The first 6 tracks/singles are definitely the album's highlights & best single choices, 'I Should Be So Lucky' & 'The Loco-Motion' are probably the most iconic tracks on here, 'Je Ne Sais Pas Piourqoui' is stunning, one of the strongest tracks on here & 'Got To Be Certain' is catchy as hell (a great second single choice). 'It's No Secret' is lovely with some great vocals but probably the weakest out of the singles, don't think this should have been given a USA release that should have went to 'Turn It Into Love' which is just amazing with Kylie's vocals just commands your attention. This could have easily been another smash hit if given a full release. The other 4 tracks are nowhere near as strong, 'I Miss You' is definitely the most dated of the bunch & weakest, then the rest are just fine with 'I'll Still Be Loving You' being the best non-single track of this album.

'Enjoy Yourself' was a far better follow up with a lot more variety. The first 3 singles were killer 'Hand On Your Heart' (great opener & lot more slick than anything on her debut). 'Wouldn't Change A Thing' - showed some great maturity & 'Never Too Late', one of her best PWL songs, simple in construction yet brilliantly executed. Also have a soft spot for 'Tears On My Pillow' which her voice really shines on & yeah its not as great as the first 3 singles, but its still decent. 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)' & 'Enjoy Yourself' are 2 fantastic bops & some of the strongest tracks on here, either one or both could have made great singles. 'Tell Tale Signs' showed some real diversity where Kylie gets to demonstrate some real range in her vocals & 'Nothing To Lose' is another fun catchy bop, but wouldn't call this a missed single choice. The other 2 'My Secret Heart' & 'Heaven & Earth' are only filler moments on here, yet still nice enough in their own ways.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 17 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Enjoy Yourself offered maturity and variety.
Musical progression was clear and was a stepping stone to what would be offered on Rhythm of Love.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 17 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Her debut is still great although the singles are far and above the rest of the album, enjoy yourself is a different kettle of fish as for me enjoy yourself and over dreaming over you are better than most of the singles and they are 2 of my fave ever Kylie songs, never too late is also one of big faves of kylies singles. For a long time i preferred rhythm of love to enjoy yourself despite always enjoying enjoy yourself but there is something about the enjoy yourself album that i just love even more in recent years. Both albums much to low for me but especially enjoy yourself.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:12 AM