BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Boundary changes
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Soy Adrián
post 13th September 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
So the Boundary Commission has published its recommended new constituencies to be used in UK General Elections from 2020 onwards (assuming it passes parliament this time).

There's been plenty of headlines about who is likely to miss out as we go from 650 to 600 seats, but how will the changes affect your area?

You can find the new boundaries here.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th September 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I really hope this gerrymandering proposal does not pass Parliament but I fear it will and no one will care enough to recognise the Conservative advantage they're giving themselves with this. Aside from that I'm also on the side of less MPs not being a good thing given, well, population growth.

My area, mostly made up of double town constituencies, seems to be merely switching every other town over to a new constituency to solve the problem of one small one, Cornwall doesn't seem to be losing anyone (although there's now a cross-county one for some reason).

London looks notably less constituency-heavy under the proposed changes, just visually (and that's before I looked up that it's losing 5). Surely that can't escape notice.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 13th September 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
I think it's a good idea that each constituency has a similar number of voters.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 13th September 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I think it's a better idea that each constituency has a similar number of people.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 13th September 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
Most of my local ones are remaining mostly unchanged save for a few towns here and there. The Brighton ones seem a little bit suspect though.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 13th September 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
my current one is getting changed pretty drastically from what i've seen in terms of which areas it covers, despite this i still don't think it will change much around here!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th September 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
That they're all going to be similar seems to be the main positive thing I can say about this plan, yes. But so many current constituencies, from quick glances at my local ones are already towards or just outside the lower end of this range so I'd have supported something a little lower to keep the seats at current numbers while splitting the far bigger ones up.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 13th September 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The reduction in the number of constituencies is totally unjustified. In 1945 there were 640 MPs. Since the, the population has soared. MPs are far busier with constituency work than they have ever been before, so adding to their workload makes no sense. In some constituencies, people will almost certainly find that it takes longer for their MP to respond.

The argument that it will "cut the cost of politics" is nonsense. As their workload will increase, MPs will probably employ more staff. The cost of correspondence will not change. MPs costs fro travelling around their constituency will increase. Because there are more constituencies crossing county boundaries, the administrative cost of elections will increase.

The fact that boundary reviews will now take place every five years means that the incumbents will have an added advantage as the other parties will not be able to select candidates until they know what the boundaries will be. Opposition candidates will only have around 18 months to establish themselves.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th September 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I live 5 minutes from the centre of Poole by car. One election I'm in Poole (Tory), the previous I'm in North/Middle Dorset (Libdem), under the new one I'm with posh Ferndown and all of the Council Housing estates in Bournemouth and Poole between the two sites. UKIP really has a shot now....

When it comes to issues that matter (life and death) I find myself in rural Dorset, as I have mentioned before - last year waiting 45 minutes for an ambulance to get here from deepest Wiltshire or Devon to attend my dad having a massive heart attack (very damaged thanks Ambulance Organisers and all, though the paramedics are brilliant doing a torturous job with short staff). I live 5 minutes from A&E by car. Or I did. They are now closing that one and making everyone spend 45 minutes extra getting through traffic clogged roads to get to Bournemouth. So an hour and a half for life & death emergencies 5 minutes from a hospital. The Tory Party can go f*** themselves till they can't take any more, there is nothing they can do which will stop me hating them till the end of time.

Still, at least there will be less poor and old people eh, I noted a beloved TV gardener got a hospital helicopter to fly him to hospital when he fainted in a cafe. I would have been quite content for an ambulance in 5 minutes...

Off topic I know, sorry about that, but Tory puppets are being just as manipulative with NHS boundary changes.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 13th September 2016, 11:25 PM
Post #10
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
Loving the name MARPLE AND HYDE *.*

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 14th September 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #11
Group icon
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Sep 14 2016, 12:25 AM) *
Loving the name MARPLE AND HYDE *.*

Like Netflix and Chill crossed with Coronation Street.

With that and Prestwich and Heywood, half of the new Greater Manchester constituencies sound like furniture stores.

Don't even get me started on Altrincham and Tatton Park. I was enough of a middle class stereotype as it is.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:37 PM