BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Riser Recaps 2017, DONE!!!!! Countdown on pages 4-5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HarryBorelli
post 24th December 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #41
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I think my favourite song here is Million Reasons. Was so glad this was a single because it's so vulnerable for Gaga and her vocals amaze me still even though I've heard it loads. Shout out to Swells, Friends, The Cure, Lust For Life , 1-800 and Little Of Your Love too heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th December 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Down is quite an interesting track, definitely that ad helped it a lot. Should have done a lot better commercially in the UK...

I wasn't all that fussed with Bad & Boujee initially but hearing it now it's right up there with the best of the hip hop from this year imo.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 24th December 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

still ain't really big on 'Heavy' but lyrically it's quite evident that he was struggling a lot. feels really weird that there won't be anymore music of theirs with Chesters voice on it sad.gif

1-800 was a huge surprise. from looking at the title I assumed regardless of it being about suicide that the song wouldn't be great but it turns out that it was very good and would pass off as a decent sounding song regardless of subject matter. that VMA performance was so emotional </3

Homemade Dynamite is amongst my favourite Lordes singles. she's definitely made an impression on me this year whereas before I found her to be vastly overhyped especially from the first album.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 24th December 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I'll correct you there - Migos are most definitely terrible kink.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 25th December 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Like all of the songs, except for "Bad And Boujee", that song was bad in my opinion.

+Quote this post
seltinpixmile
post 25th December 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,863

I like the chorus from Everyday, it's strange but fun yahoo.gif

Versace On The Floor being here is nice, a shame it was a big flop mad.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 25th December 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #47
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

“Down” had a trajectory that reminded me of Kiiara’s “Gold” but with half the longevity. There seems to be one of those per year, so looks like we have to watch out for “Best Friend” next.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 28th December 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #48
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Noah Cyrus featuring Labrinth "Make Me (Cry)"

It turns out there was one more Cyrus out there who hadn't attempted a music career until now: Noah Cyrus, a fairly younger sister of Miley. My expectations were rather low for Noah, thinking she wouldn't have much to offer and just hoped her name alone would get her somewhere. To some extent I had to take that back - her first single, "Make Me (Cry)", wasn't simply trend-chasing or attention-grabbing, instead a pretty decent introduction for her!
It's actually hard to compare her to anyone else based on this song, almost like Lana Del Rey going slightly above midtempo. The production is anything but predictable and the choice of Labrinth as her duet partner is too! IMO replacing the word "cry" with a teardrop sound really brings the song down, too cheap of an idea. That's a shame because this is otherwise a great effort, too bad it wasn't a surprise hit for Labrinth or more of a breakthrough for Noah.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 31st December 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #49
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I have to agree on Glorious, I've always found it pretty limp. Macklemore was hit and miss with Ryan Lewis for me but all of their hits had at least something interesting to them. Glorious just didn't for me sad.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st January 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #50
Group icon

Only heard Make Me (Cry) very briefly but giving it a listen, it is certainly a unique style and I agree the teardrop makes the song sound a bit 'made on Audacity'-esque tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 3rd January 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #51
Group icon

Thanks again for the comments! This should go a lot faster now that I'm back on a normal schedule tongue.gif

Paramore "Told You So"

Paramore turned a few heads this year by shifting their power-punk and heavy rock sound into something more synthy and 80s-influenced. It does unexpectedly suit them, so color me impressed. "Told You So" is actually one of their catchiest songs ever, fast-paced with brilliant riffs and all condensed into just over 3 minutes. If anything it goes too fast and ends too quickly, and with so much going on in the song it's hard to keep up!
While I can't put my finger on it, there's something about After Laughter that falls short of Paramore's previous output. In a way it's more like background music when I'm used to playing their songs on full volume. They used to stand out but now they blend in with the thousands of indie bands making equally short and catchy tunes. So I feel the album's not getting the attention it deserves, which is a shame because it's still mostly solid.

Portugal. The Man "Feel It Still"

I forgot about this when I discussed the slow-burning hit of the year because this was definitely another one. In fact this is a slow-burning band, as anyone who follows US alt radio has seen the name Portugal. The Man out there since at least 2010 or 2011. I can't recall any of their earlier work so even as "Feel It Still" was starting to break through I wasn't in a hurry to hear it. Despite usually loving the token rock song of the moment, I'm surprisingly indifferent to this one.
Obviously I won't begrudge a rock song actually doing well; in fact over here it was one of the biggest crossover hits of the decade which was quite fun to watch on the charts. Not only did it nearly match the peak of "Pumped Up Kicks", it also sounded a lot like Foster The People, so I look forward to both bands getting confused for one another a decade from now. Thankfully Radio 1 has just come to their senses and playlisted this, so success across the pond is not entirely out of the question!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 3rd January 2018, 06:06 PM
Post #52
Group icon

I wouldn’t necessarily call Feel It Still that slow burning despite it being an alternative crossover... we’ll not as much as this

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 3rd January 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

Loooove Make Me (Cry) it really put Noah on my radar cus I was not expecting something as unique sounding as that!
Told You So is so incredibly catchy too, probs my second fave on the album after Hard Times

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 3rd January 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Like both "Told You So" and "Feel It Still"!
I find "Make Me (Cry)" meh, although the unexpected train sound in the song caught me off guard.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 4th January 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Feel It Still! wub.gif Definitely afgree this was a slow burner, didn't really feel much for it at first but it certainly grew and currently holds the record for most weeks in my Personal Top 40 - hope it can be bigger in the UK!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 4th January 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #56
Group icon

Sam Hunt "Body Like A Back Road"

2017 was supposed to be Sam Hunt's year. Enough time had passed since his debut album, and he released "Body Like A Back Road" in early February, which was assumed to be a lead single for a new album. It was an instant hit and its crossover success gave it outstanding longevity, including two separate runs in the top 10. Any artist would be crazy to NOT put more music out and strike while the iron's hot, but that's exactly what he did.
Personally I was a fan of this very divisive song; I enjoyed its simplicity and have always felt Sam is one of the actually decent pioneers of bro-country. Normally I would moan about yet another song about back roads, but since he didn't really play to stereotypes it was fine, albeit not my favorite single of Sam's. It's unlike any artist of his caliber to go quiet like this after one song, but I'm sure he'll be fine as long as he releases something else this year.

Selena Gomez featuring Gucci Mane "Fetish"

As part of the very small minority who did not enjoy Selena Gomez's Revival era at all, 2017 was a glimmer of hope that she was going to change things up. She certainly did that with "It Ain't Me" and especially "Bad Liar", but then she U-turned and released "Fetish", which turned out to be a second-rate "Good For You". The verses are horrible and Gucci Mane adds nothing to it, and overall it was a disappointment just as I was getting back on board with her.
In the end the single was one of Selena's biggest underperformances to date, so she quickly moved on to the next trend by collabing with Marshmello on "Wolves". While I admire her versatility, there's so little cohesion between her last four singles that I'm not sure she even knows what direction she's going in. It's hard to imagine all of these fitting on one album so I'm curious to find out what she ends up doing with them.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 5th January 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #57
Group icon

The Chainsmokers "Honest"

Long story short, "Honest" disproved any theory that The Chainsmokers can release anything they want and the public will lap it up. Of course the guy that does the singing is not a gifted vocalist at all, and while that didn't stop "Closer" or "Paris" from being enormous hits, it has obvious limitations when there's nothing else to make up for it. It's kind of sad that his boring and basic vocals can be all over the radio when so many talented singers can barely get a recording contract :')
That's not to say I dislike "Honest"; it's at least listenable but certainly not an injustice that it underperformed for them. I actually like the production on it, a better singer would have made a huge difference although the lyrics are pretty crap too, very vague and long-winded for a song that's claiming to be honest. I reckon we'll hear from The Chainsmokers again by the end of the year as they're too on-trend to afford too long of a break.

The Weeknd "Reminder"

Speaking of breaks, The Weeknd took a very short one in 2016, releasing his third album Starboy just 15 months after Beauty Behind The Madness came out. Despite two big hits it felt like the whole era was over in just a few months, which is typical when the entire album is in the singles chart at the same time! Anyway, after "I Feel It Coming" he had a few minor airplay hits here, and "Reminder" emerged as my favorite of those.
Hearing the song on Canadian radio helped it grow in my affections, as it was a proper hit there in the summer while I was near the border enough to tune in. On the surface there's not much to it really, just a smooth and easygoing jam, but the lyrics are surprisingly reflective and self-aware about his level of fame, and the "reminder" is that he's still the same person he was before all of that.

Thomas Rhett "Unforgettable"
Thomas Rhett featuring Maren Morris "Craving You"

Sam Hunt's not the only one trying to save bro country from itself; Thomas Rhett has also done a fantastic job of doing his own thing, bending the genre in different directions and making it interesting every time. He's probably my favorite country artist now, something I never thought I'd say when he first broke through. It was only fitting that he collaborated with the most exciting female artist at the moment, Maren Morris, and the end result "Craving You" was absolute magic!
That song is a potential EOY top 10 contender for me, so I'll speak more on it later. Thomas followed it up with "Unforgettable", a short but sweet love song with enough hand-clapping and whoooaas to give it a stadium vibe. It's not as bold or risky as his other recent singles (nor is it really unforgettably good like French Montana's song of the same name) but for something simple to sing along to this is all you really need.

Twenty One Pilots "Heavydirtysoul"

Thank goodness Twenty One Pilots pushed another Blurryface single after "Heathens" was finally done, because they're on such a high right now and the album had some life left in it. In fact they managed to keep the album campaign going for a full two years after release, an amazing accomplishment! Even though "Heavydirtysoul" didn't cross over like their other hits have, it sounded great on the radio and was a nice (albeit short-lived) break from hearing their same few songs over and over.
I like the frantic fast pace of the song and that it doesn't rely on a big hook, instead giving the drums and the rhythm in general a chance to shine. I also like that it's the first track on the album but the final single released from it. Listening to it in the context of the latter gave it new meaning for me, imagining it as the end credits/encore of sorts for an era that will go down in history, especially with the song's big anthemic ending. wub.gif PLEASE come back in 2018!!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th January 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Savior of male country music *.* *.* *.*

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th January 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Really enjoyed Craving You was a really catchy track - just given Unforgettable a listen and that's pretty good as well (if only that was the song that spent weeks on end in the UK Top 5 tongue.gif )

+Quote this post
Riser
post 8th January 2018, 01:27 AM
Post #60
Group icon

Walk The Moon "One Foot"

While it's more than likely that Walk The Moon will remain a one-hit wonder, I knew they'd have it in them to make at least one more absolute banger. Sure enough, they came back in spectacular fashion with "One Foot", a song equally as instant and catchy as "Shut Up And Dance", while being just different enough to stand on its own and not be considered a soundalike.
The high point is probably the second verse when it randomly goes into a rap bit with a "they can't flex with us" Sean Paul tribute, "Shut Up And Dance" could never *.* The video is also fantastic due to the brilliant idea of filming it during the solar eclipse! This is already becoming a crossover hit here, but the momentum has been slow so I don't expect it to go that far. Its mere existence is what matters, as "Shut Up And Dance" still hasn't re-grown on me from its initial overplay so it's nice to have this instead laugh.gif

Zedd & Liam Payne "Get Low"

Not sure how many people will say this is a better Zedd song than "Stay" or a better Liam Payne song than "Strip That Down", but I would agree on both counts. As the guys from 1D all take their solo music into different directions (no pun intended) from one another, while something more swaggy and urban makes sense for Liam I found his dance-pop single "Get Low" to be a lot more exciting, and that it didn't get old nearly as quickly.
The reasons why this didn't catch on are fairly self-explanatory: it's essentially a generic EDM song and any half-decent singer could've handled the vocals on it (not that that stopped "Stay" from doing so well just months before). It's SUCH an earworm to me though and I think it's a really strong collab, especially the chorus. So I hope this isn't the last time we hear Liam on a dance song, even if that makes me sound like The Snake! kink.gif

All right, let me just double-check my list to make sure I didn't miss any. Haven't finished sorting out my top 60 countdown yet but watch this space as it should be ready to start this week!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 09:32 PM