BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pete's End Of Decade Countdown, FINISHED!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 31st January 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Pete's End of Decade Countdown
2010-2019

This is going to be fairly snappish as I'm aware we're already at the end of January! I'm going to start of by listing some honourable mentions from each year before jumping into my Top 100, I'll aim to have this done within a couple of weeks if not less.

(although you all know what the #1 is going to be anyway kink.gif)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 31st January 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2010

Adrian Lux - Can't Sleep
I discovered this one thanks to FIFA 11, one of the songs that really stuck in my head and the first one I downloaded when I had the chance. It was the vocals that really grabbed it for me, so futuristic-sounding.

Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up
This is quite a funky swing track, I remember liking this because it was used on CBBC as an advert showing all of the current presenters (Iain, Chris, Chloe & London if you were wondering). I like it still but it doesn't really stand out as iconic.

Lena - Satellite
This was also a funky song, taking inspiration from modern pop music to gain a very well-deserved Eurovision win.

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey (I Love You)
Considering the fact that the only other song I know by this outfit is ridiculously depressing, this upbeat one was quite a surprise (discovered once again thanks to FIFA), a fitting song to go with the South Africa game!

Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me
A more mainstream track here, I was obsessed with this for a short period of time and it has actually stood the test of time pretty well!

Paula Seling & Ovi - Playing With Fire
I missed the first half of 2010 Eurovision because I didn't realise it was on and was distraught about it but I did find some great tracks in there. It's very reminiscent of early 2010 Eurovision (and just pop in general) and it's a pleasure to go back and her it again!

Shakira ft. Freshlyground - Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)
Another football-related song, this is good for what it is but pales in comparison with another particular World Cup 2010 song which is definitely still to come.

Sidney Samson ft. Wizard Sleeve - Riverside (Let's Go!)
I remember being completely obsessed with this for a short period of time, mainly because it was the radio edit and I didn't realise the original wasn't as clean, and also because I thought it was actually about maths. It doesn't hold up as well now but still enough to get a mention here.

Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk
Another FIFA song, Two Door Cinema Club have managed to get a song into the EOD Top 100 but this one is great as well, a rare indie haunt for me from the early part of the decade.

Wideboys & Majestic ft. B-Live & Boy Better Know - In the VIP
Dance and rap go together so well don't they! Here is the first of many songs of this type that I adored whilst they existed in the early half of the decade and will be littering this thread, this is sounding absolutely brilliant now and it might not be the most well known but I encourage you all to listen to it!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 1st February 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Pack Up and Cooler Than Me are two of the songs I was obsessed with that year. I haven't heard Pack Up in years and can't imagine it aging very well!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st February 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Absolutely LOVE Waka Waka!! wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st February 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2011

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
Love me a bit of dance/saxophone crossover! Not heard too much from her since (besides appearing on a few European personal charts) but this is incredibly catchy and her voice really draws me in here as well.

Chase & Status - Problem
Another song I got from FIFA (although my dad was playing it before I even got my hands on that), this still appears on playlists quite a bit so knowing the lyrics to it is can some in very handy. I guess it is dance/rap, not in the way I'm used to but still another one to add to the tally.

DJ Outlaw - Bahrain Unite
No this wasn't anywhere near my EOY Top 100 but we need to give a shoutout to this! Let's hope Bahrain is suitably united now.

DJ Shadow ft. Tom Vek - Warning Call
This might actually hold the record for the most pays on my iTunes as I had it on a very small playlist for pretty much an entire year in an early version of my Elimination Game that I was doing. Former UNKLE member DJ Shadow certainly pulled this one out the bag anyway.

Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger
I'm quite suprised at myself that this got nowhere near my EOD Top 100 but I think over-saturation killed it, plus the fact that it reminds me very vividly of high school which I despised. That whistle is something else though, we need more songs with a whistle like that!

The Medics - City
Also a FIFA song, this was probably my first taste of a rock song that I actually really liked, it reminds me of a footballer called Jesus with a big beard for some reason.

Rock Mafia - Fly Or Die
FIFA again, I still don't know whether the lead singer in this is a man or a woman (I think I looked it up and they were male but the vocals sounded so female to 11 year-old me!) Certainly one of my favourites from the soundtrack and one of the few songs that immediately reminds me of singing in the shower oops.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st February 2020, 09:23 PM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 1 2020, 07:06 AM) *
Pack Up and Cooler Than Me are two of the songs I was obsessed with that year. I haven't heard Pack Up in years and can't imagine it aging very well!

I still think it sounds okay but certainly sounded better in 2011 - thanks Jordan!

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 1 2020, 11:49 AM) *
Absolutely LOVE Waka Waka!! wub.gif wub.gif

Glad you're a fan - thanks Joseph!

+Quote this post
danG
post 2nd February 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #7
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Adrian Lux - Can't Sleep haven't heard this track but I enjoyed a few others of his including one I sent to bjsc
Sidney Samson ft. Wizard Sleeve - Riverside (Let's Go!) one of the best tracks of 2010 for me (although originally from 2009)

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat one of my absolute faves of the decade!
Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger don't play it very often now but really enjoyed it at the time, could even go top 100 in my EOD from how much I liked it, it's still their best track for me as they went very downhill in the years to come

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 3rd February 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #8
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2012

Bingo Players ft. Far East Movement - Get Up (Rattle)
Another dance/rap combo that goes together really well, complete with that really weird duck video. I do prefer When I Dip but the rap version of that doesn't appear to exist anywhere online so I couldn't tell you whether it was this decade or not.

Calvin Haris ft. Tinie Tempah - Drinking From the Bottle
This also does dance/rap very well, unfortunately over-exposure has prevented this from going Top 100 but it remains a song that gives me fond memories of the start of the decade. I did think he was singing about someone wearing bottles for quite a while though.

Courteeners - Lose Control
I can't remember being *that* into this song at the time but I remember it and that's what counts, it sounds very good now anyway.

Donny Montell - Love Is Blind
This got my vote at Eurovision 2012 (mainly for his amazing acrobatics) but another song has most definitely surpassed it, although the funky guitar in this still remains a highlight. His second Eurovision appearance was fairly disappointing however.

Eleftheria Eleftheriou - Aphrodesiac
Don't ask me to pronounce that name. Another fun Eurovision song though which has stuck in my head to this day.

Ivi Amadou - La La Love
Yet more Eurovision, this is a fab electro tune that is also stuck in my head.

Jim Noir - Sunny
You probably don't know this song but it's a nice little indie track to get stuck into, odd lyrics but a good upbeat tune.

Matt Redman - 10000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)
No worship songs made it into my EOD but I felt I needed to honour the token worship track of the decade, a really brilliant song to add your voice to with a focus on pure praise.

Sam and the Womp - Bom Bom
This is a pretty weird song with lyrics that make absolutely no sense ('pie in my pocket, eye in my socket' anyone?) complete with some fairly odd-sounding vocals but insanely catchy.

Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin - Don't You Worry Child
I think this was the first Swedish House Mafia song I really knew. It was the third sing on whichever NOW CD it was on and it followed on from Gangnam Style and Hall of Fame to become another favourite of mine.

Tooji - Stay
Another Eurovision entry, and this one came LAST for some unknown reason as it was definitely up there with the best that year. Catchy pop at its best.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 4th February 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(dan.G @ Feb 2 2020, 08:58 AM) *
Adrian Lux - Can't Sleep haven't heard this track but I enjoyed a few others of his including one I sent to bjsc
Sidney Samson ft. Wizard Sleeve - Riverside (Let's Go!) one of the best tracks of 2010 for me (although originally from 2009)

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat one of my absolute faves of the decade!
Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger don't play it very often now but really enjoyed it at the time, could even go top 100 in my EOD from how much I liked it, it's still their best track for me as they went very downhill in the years to come

I think Can't Sleep is the only Adrian Lux song I remember, I know I listened to another one but can't remember too much of it (looking now and I think it was Burning, listening again and it's sounding alright but still prefer Can't Sleep)
Moves Like Jagger is by far the best Maroon 5 track for me as well, the only one that will be appearing here anyway.

Thanks Dan!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 4th February 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2013

(I have to say that 2013 was the worst year I have experienced as a person so the majority of the 2013 songs I liked were either from towards the end of the year or songs I discovered later)

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
This is a fairly sad (and long) song but it's put together so well and is one I kept going back to even though it certainly wasn't in line with what I listened to at the time. It's such a well-put together song which I really appreciate.

Breach - Jack
I guess this was the start of the house revival which characterised the middle fo the 2010s, this song was very simple but worked extremely well, complete with one of the oddest music videos I've ever seen.

Daft Punk - Give Life Back to Music
Of course I had to be quirky and avoid Get lucky kink.gif but this is the best of the solely robot-voices which deserves some credit.

Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr - Eat Sleep Rave Repeat (ft. Beardyman & Calvin Harris)
Ooh look, another dance/rap combination. There were so many versions of this I have no idea which one was the popular one but I learned all the lyrics to the one I knew off by heart and used to 'sing' it on the way to school. This is the last song from Fatboy, Beardyman & Calvin in the countdown however not for Riva Starr.

Gianluca Bezzina - Tomorrow
This isn't a particularly spectacular song, the reason it's so memorable is that the description of the man in the song appears to align very closely with someone with Aspergers (working in IT, extra careful, vigorous routine etc.) and about he fell in love, so maybe there's hope for me someday kink.gif

Iggy Azalea - Bounce
I don't really like Iggy but this song has a really good beat and is by far her best song.

Koza Mostra & Agathon Iakovidis - Alcohol Is Free
This was my Eurovision song of choice from 2013 although nowhere near up there with the best of the decade. The ska beat is sounding very funky now though.

Laidback Luke & Majestic - Pogo
A bit more dance and rap here, complete with boinging sounds to make it even more exciting.

Micky Slim & Wideboys ft. Lady Chann - Welcome To My Disco
Even more rap/dance here, I didn't discover this until a remix appeared on an Addicted to Bass CD (where I misheard 'welcome to my disco baby' and 'welcome to my discount vend') and went back to listen to the original and it is amazing.

Woodkid - I Love You
The first time I came into contact with Woodkid was a free download which called itself 'Run Boy Run', although it was in fact an electronic remix of the song (which was a shame for me as it was much better than the actual version). Having heard the album, I prefer this one which was still reasonably famous but more in line with my tastes.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 5th February 2020, 03:05 AM
Post #11
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

'Bom Bom' is AMAZING and I agree 'Bounce' is one of Iggy's best songs, so underrated!

I'm quite happy to see you avoid including 'Get Lucky' *.* kink.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th February 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2014

Bakermat - Vandaag
A sample of Martin Luther King's famous speech, this is the first song I heard from Belgian DJ Bakermat and it truly is a really clever and well put-together song.

Example - Kids Again
Not fully sure why I picked this over some of the older Example songs but this one was from the era when I started downloading songs from NOW CDs and playing them 20+ times in a month. Others which didn't make the list included Wiley's Lights on and David Guetta's Play Hard but this one is better for me now, maybe because of the nostalgia factor.

Damon Albarn - Mr. Tembo
Blur frontman Damon's album was mostly dull and boring, however this song stuck out like a sore thumb, an incredible little indie track.

Jacob Banks - Move With You
I discovered this by chance on 4Music and whilst it never became a hit it's an incredibly catchy and soulful song. Jacob does however feature on a song in the Top 100

Jacob Plant - Can’t Hold Back
Different Jacob now, this is a brilliant dance song and probably a little repetitive for people's tastes but I absolutely love it.

Johnny Marr - Easy Money
This was the first I had heard of Johnny Marr (I didn't even know he was the former Smiths guitarist at this point) but I discovered this by Amazon free download and it really is incredibly catchy.

Kate Tempest - The Beigeness
Not really heard anything else from poet/rapper Kate Tempest but this really is an amazing song, if a little depressing. The music video is a little lacklustre though so I'd recommend watching without.

Melissa Steel ft. Popcaan - Kisses For Breakfast
I prefer cereal for breakfast and wasn't particularly impressed with this on first listen but it stuck in my head, leading to me downloading it and becoming a massive fan of Melissa for a very short time.

Mike Delinquent Project - Wiggle (Movin’ Her Middle) (ft. Wiley)
Pete: *moans about excessive bum-shaking in music videos*
Also Pete: *puts this in EOD countdown*

Nico & Vinz - Imaa Imaa
Nico & Vinz - Imagine
Nico & Vinz - People
Nico & Vinz have a multitude of songs from Black Star Elephant in the Top 100 but these ones just missed out. Did I say this album is the definition of perfection?

Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive)
The last #1 without streaming (I think? Or the first one with), this song has an atrocious music video but a brilliant beat.

Project Bassline - Hit the Road Jack
I'm not even sure if this is on YouTube but if you can find it it's really worth a listen, a really brilliant dance/house track with a thumping beat.

Sebalter - Hunter of Stars
This isn't one of my favourite Eurovision songs but I had to include it as this song (together with Teo's Cheesecake) single-handedly showcased the worst examples of using Google Translate ever. Complete with lyrics such as 'Like an evil satellite', 'I’m gonna be your candidate', 'I am the hunter and you are the prey/Tonight I’m gonna eat you up' and of course the epitome 'I’m so wet, I’m dirty' mellow.gif All backed up with some cheesy whistling. Enjoy!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th February 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2015

Disciples - They Don't Know
I only discovered this after the Calvin Harris collab on an album I had downloaded to listen to in the summer and it blew me away, a really brilliant techno-robotic piece which is much better than anything they've done since.

Elina Born & Stig Rasta - Goodbye to Yesterday
I can't remember what my favourite Eurovision song from 2015 was at the time (I think it was a toss up between Adio by Knez and I'm Alive by Elhaida Dani) but this has become the iconic song from that contest, an incredible duet with some incredible instrumentation added in.

Fuse ODG - Only
I discovered this on a New Releases list and immediately expected it to be his next smash. Not only (basil.gif) was it not, it didn't even reach the Top 100! It doesn't stand up to his absolute best but is still a tune in its own right.

Lawson - Roads
Hadn't heard of Lawson before this song and haven't particularly cared for them since, this was a real gem though and stayed in my YTD Top 10 for most of the year in 2015, just slipping out at the end.

Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank (feat. Diztortion)
I think this was the last real rap/dance collab I really became a fan of, this is such an infectious tune and I'm sure I knew the lyrics at some point.

Mans Zelmerlow - Heroes
This song remains the only Eurovision song to reach the UK Top 40 in the streaming era (we can hope cry.gif ) but it really is an incredibly powerful winner and really got me into Mans' stuff for the years to come. And apparently you pronounce his surname (zel-mer-lerve but I still say zel-mer-low in my head)

Years And Years - Shine
This was always the less-good Years & Years song but it was still an incredible one and certainly deserved the #2 peak it got (although I was rooting for Zowie the first week it was there)

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th February 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Breach - Jack this was an infectious tune!
Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr - Eat Sleep Rave Repeat (ft. Beardyman & Calvin Harris) Calvin definitely improved this, I like the rave vibez of it

Bakermat - Vandaag a lovely tune here, the sample and sax go together so well
Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive) one of my absolute faves!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th February 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Breach- Jack-

One of the strangest music videos of the decade.

Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr - Eat Sleep Rave Repeat (ft. Beardyman & Calvin Harris)

Enjoyed this one it came out. Got to #3 in my personal chart.

Iggy Azalea - Bounce- Good song from her.

Example - Kids Again- He just seemed to disappear from the charts after 'Kids Again' came out.

Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank (feat. Diztortion)- I remember this from it being featured heavily for BT Sport's Champions League promo.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th February 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 5 2020, 03:05 AM) *
'Bom Bom' is AMAZING and I agree 'Bounce' is one of Iggy's best songs, so underrated!

I'm quite happy to see you avoid including 'Get Lucky' *.* kink.gif

Glad you like both of them! Take it you're not a fan of Get Lucky then tongue.gif Thanks Jordan!

QUOTE(dan.G @ Feb 5 2020, 07:00 PM) *
Breach - Jack this was an infectious tune!
Fatboy Slim & Riva Starr - Eat Sleep Rave Repeat (ft. Beardyman & Calvin Harris) Calvin definitely improved this, I like the rave vibez of it

Bakermat - Vandaag a lovely tune here, the sample and sax go together so well
Oliver Heldens & Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive) one of my absolute faves!

Glad you're a fan of all of them - I noticed a couple fo them pop up in your EOD with was nice - thanks Dan!

QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 6 2020, 03:08 PM) *
Breach- Jack-

One of the strangest music videos of the decade.

Enjoyed this one it came out. Got to #3 in my personal chart.

Iggy Azalea - Bounce- Good song from her.

Example - Kids Again- He just seemed to disappear from the charts after 'Kids Again' came out.

Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank (feat. Diztortion)- I remember this from it being featured heavily for BT Sport's Champions League promo.

Jack really is an odd music video isn't it laugh.gif And yeah I remember Fester Skank from those ads as well, I think that was after it had peaked and gave it a good few more weeks in the Top 100. Thanks Mack!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th February 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2016

Alle Farben & YOUNOTUS - Please Tell Rosie
This was the first time I really heard Alle Farben, and it took a while to realise I needed to have this on my playlist, but when I heard it in full it was love at first sight and became my #1 without hesitation. It's still his second best song by quite a margin.

Amir - On Dirait
Probably my favourite foreign language song of 2016, this was a brilliant pop song with all the features to make it a real earworm but I can't say I go back to it too much now.

Joe Stone & Ferreck Dawn - Man Enough
Another big fave of mine at the time, it takes a sample from Toni Braxton and really turns it into a great tune, plus it has quite an amusing music video.

Lukas Graham - You're Not There
Might be a surprise for you to hear that Lukas Graham only actually got one song into my EOD Top 100 but a lot were close, and I still think that this would have gone Top 40 if pushed as the second single. Unfortunatley it was the third one and their Hard Knock Life-cover had already missed the mark by then.

Kaiser Chiefs - Parachute
Kaiser Chiefs made their mark in 2016 by jumping on the emerging dance trend which led to quite a bit of backlash. It did however become the song to reach #1 the week I extended my Top 15 to a Top 40 and began to post my Personal Chart on Buzzjack and I still think it's one of their best and a brilliant song to lead the album with.

The Magician - Shy (ft. Brayton Bowman)
The first song to spend a momentous FIVE weeks (!) in my Top 10, this is still a really good song but not stand-out enough to make my EOD despite reaching #9 in that year's EOY.

Michael Calfan - Nobody Does It Better
Another sample here (Nate Dogg this time), his rap is converted into a beautiful tropical house track with a brilliant music video featuring two children going rogue. He hasn't done anything anywhere near this standard since (and this also trumps that really weird Adele sample that I never fully got over)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 6th February 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Honourable Mentions: 2017

Aedhi & Clement Bcx - Next to You
This made my EOY Top 10 but missed out on an EOD place here. It is a beautiful deep/tropical (?) house song even if it was paid pittance in Club Bizarre.

C-BooL ft. Giang Pham - DJ Is Your Second Name
The only C-BooL song to make #1 in my Personal Chart, I think the mention of coffee and cake in the song made me like it a lot more but it is a brilliant dance track, if not as good as Never Go Away.

CoCo & the Butterfields - Battlegrounds
This was the first time a BJSC song just completely stuck with me. It only got about 7 points from me in the Final but soon became an absolute favourite of mine and I was really looking forward to new music from them. Unfortunately none of it lived up to this introduction (although Monsters and Giants were still decent songs)

New Politics - One of Us
This was my introduction to Danish group New Politics, a really fun pantomime-esque song that really sounds like something else but I can't put my finger on it.

Sia - Never Give Up
This was actually #101 on my list sad.gif So almost made it in. But it's an absolutely brilliant song, linking Indian vibes in with a really brilliant pop beat to produce her best yet.

Walk Off the Earth - Taekwondo
An incredibly fun indie-pop song by an incredibly fun indie-pop band. RIP Mike sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jason
post 6th February 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
User: 3,149

Taekwondo is an underrated gem. I like that video too. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th February 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(Jason @ Feb 6 2020, 07:27 PM) *
Taekwondo is an underrated gem. I like that video too. tongue.gif

Glad you're a fan! Can't remember the video too well (barring all the various people in ninja masks kicking about in it) but the song is brilliant - thanks Jason!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:33 AM