BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Suedehead's 60 birthday number ones, Completed!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post Jul 29 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Summer Nights is rather Boom Shake The Room really, a soundtrack for a comedy which I can't really take seriously on its own merit. I think Summer Nights is better than You're The One That I Want though.

Olivia Newton-John did have good songs with Physical and Zanadu (with ELO).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 29 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Livvy is a legend! I went very keen on her in her first film, Toomorrow, a sci-fi musical comedy that bombed in 1970. She played the lead singer of a 60's beat band (Toomorrow, not to be confused with Tomorrow) and the aliens and special effects were hilarious. It was so bad the mastermind behind it withdrew it until the day he died, which was great news for Livvie as nobody in the world, except kids on Forces bases with Cinemas (like me) got to watch all manner of obscure films before vanishing from the face of the planet. You can buy it on DVD now. She was already 22 8 years before Grease! I went to see Grease, and enjoyed the knowing 50's pastiche cheesiness and the songs. Hopelessly Devoted To You still gives me goosebumps. Admittedly I also have become overly-familiar with both duets from the film, neither of which was in the original stage-show, and neither of which I choose to listen to unless I'm rewatching the movie.

So, Tell me more. Tell me more? Tell me more!

OK it peaked at 2 in my chart, and 10CC and The Boomtown Rats both topped my charts. But which one on your birthday!? Dreadlock Holiday!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 29 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Yes the lyrics of the song Dreadlock Holiday do sound a bit dodgy now from a white group but I don't think they intended it and it was designed as an admiration of Jamaican culture and holidays there.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 29 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(The Snake @ Jul 29 2020, 07:30 PM) *
Summer Nights is rather Boom Shake The Room really, a soundtrack for a comedy which I can't really take seriously on its own merit. I think Summer Nights is better than You're The One That I Want though.

Olivia Newton-John did have good songs with Physical and Zanadu (with ELO).

QUOTE(Βuzzjack @ Jul 29 2020, 08:15 PM) *
Yes the lyrics of the song Dreadlock Holiday do sound a bit dodgy now from a white group but I don't think they intended it and it was designed as an admiration of Jamaican culture and holidays there.

I loved Xanadu and, for that matter Legend Of Xanadu by Dave Dee. Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, both number ones but not on my birthday.

Dreadlock Holiday wasn't considered at all dodgy at the time. It was something of a pastiche of reggae but with lyrics which, in the 2020s, are somewhat questionable. However, if you look at 10CC's back catalogue, it is pretty obvious that it was meant to be seen in a positive way. I saw Graham Gouldman and a backing band performing as 10CC a few years ago (thanks to popchartfreak who couldn't use his ticket as he was on holiday) and it was still part of the set even though it was starting to be questioned by then.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 30 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We all have singers we don’t like. For many of us, our list will include singers who have received a lot of critical acclaim. Singers who we continue not to like however much the critics tell us how good they are. That introduction should be enough warning that the next song will be particularly controversial, even in a list that features Ride On Time in last place. Just to appease people slightly, this is the first song to have scored two out of five. The previous seven all scored just one.

Yes, it’s time to say that I have never got the appeal of Lauryn Hill’s voice. That means I have never liked anything by The Fugees either. That includes their version of Killing Me Softly which isn’t a patch on Roberta Flack’s sublime version. That song gave The Fugees their first number one in the summer of 1996 and, in September the same year, they were back on top of the pile again with Ready Or Not. Put me in the “not ready” camp when it comes to being prepared for this lot to have another number one.

They had climbed to number one the previous week, displacing Peter Andre’s Flava. The following week saw them knocked off the top by the vastly superior Breakfast At Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something. The Fugees had two more big hits, including a version of No Woman No Cry, before they went their separate ways. Deep Blue Something only had one more (not particularly big) hit.

As well as Breakfast At Tiffany’s at number two, the chart also included Marblehead Johnson by the Bluetones, OMC’s utterly bizarre How Bizarre and Lost Myself by the wonderful Longpigs. A little further down the top forty we also had Underworld’s brilliant Born Slippy and the Charlatans’ One To Another.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 30 2020, 07:21 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yes, controversial laugh.gif I agree Killing Me Softly is not a patch on Roberta Flack - few vocalists are - though I quite like their version, but prefer Rumble In The Jungle. Ready Or Not, and again it's not a patch on The Delfonics original, I also like, and at least they were introducing classic soul stars and songs to a younger audience. I like some of the solo singles too, inc Ms Hill, and I did buy her award-winning album, much lauded. In small doses she's fine, but over the course of an album you just start looking at your watch wondering when it's going to end.....

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 30 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Wasn't expecting this to be on this list this early. I am sure you would prefer it to Peter Andre's Flava, the number one before it and also Brigid Mendler's partial cover of it.

Having just listened to both versions now I prefer the Fugees version to Roberta Flack's version. Roberta Flack has a great voice but I do like the increased energy of the Fugees version. Good song anyway though.

We all have singers we don’t like. For many of us, our list will include singers who have received a lot of critical acclaim.

Yes I would say this is probably the most critically acclaimed song you have posted on here so far, because it is more serious a song than the designed-to-be-fun Ride On Time. I rather like 'Ready Or Not'.

This post has been edited by Βuzzjack: Jul 30 2020, 07:32 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jul 30 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yes, I think Flava would have finished lower down the list than Ready Or Not laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 30 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Oops, lots more songs I like going out early! Ready or Not and Boom Shake the Room were both songs I discovered when I was about 6 or 7 so both bring back the real nostalgia for me.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Aug 1 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #50
Group icon
There was also a dance cover of 'Ready Or Not' by The Course which made top 5 in 1997 which I just discovered and its a bit of a tune.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 1 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Looking forward to seeing what ends up closer to the top on this, although I have to admit I do enjoy a lot of the songs that have already gone, Against All Odds aside ("Saturday Night" is naff but cheesy fun, albeit obviously not the best song of that name).

"Ready or Not", alongside "I Don't Wanna Know" by Mario Winans are one of the few times that two completely different songs that sample the same song have reached the top spot, both of which sample "Boadicea" by Enya.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 2 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Another 90s track gone drama.gif

I like Ready Or Not quite a lot. Lauryn also for that matter, especially Ex-Factor wub.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 2 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
On we go, then, to number 52. The low finish for this one won’t come as a surprise to anyone who knows my tastes in music. It’s time for the first song in this countdown from the 21st century and the debut hit from Pussycat Dolls, Don’t Cha which was number one in 2005. I’m still not sure how one chas or how many people are usually involved.

Pussycat Dolls are one of many examples of what I dislike about pop music in the 21st century. We have always had bands that have been formed by music moguis rather than by a few mates getting together. One of them, Westlife, have already appeared in this countdown and we can look back to examples such as Take That and even The Monkees. However, in the 21st century, they just seemed to grow in number.

Some of these manufactured bands have ultimately produced singers who have had successful solo careers, showing that at least some of the members have some musical talent. WIthout One Direction, Harry Styles may never have had a musical career. Robbie Williams could have been just a forty-something bloke from Stoke without Take That. That doesn’t alter the general belief that these bands are formed by a committee with their songs being chosen in the same way. It’s also worth mentioning that I liked Pussycat Dolls’ Jai Ho with AR Rahman.

My birthday week saw Don’t Cha at number one for the second week of three. It had replaced Gorillaz’s Dare (there’s a song that would have made the top ten of this list) and was replaced by Push The Button by another manufactured outfit, Sugababes.

As well as Dare, other songs in the top forty for my 45th birthday (a milestone that would have had some significance in the days of vinyl singles played at 45 rpm) included a remix of Faithless’s Insomnia, Goldfrapp’s Ooh La La and The Importance of Being Idle by Oasis, another former chart-topper.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Aug 2 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Not great. Was OK when it came out but I quickly got bored of it. Overplayed on radio and music channels over the years.

Busta Rhymes part at the start always seems to sound fresh though before the boring song starts after it.

'I Hate This Part' by The Pussycat Dolls I like though, nice production in it with piano and strings and good vocal and is easily the best of their singles for me.

This post has been edited by Hissjack: Aug 2 2020, 05:36 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 2 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'm repeating myself here: "Oh I quite like that one". It's not in the same league as Jai Ho mind you, spot on there! Or 1 or 2 of Nicole's solo hits. biggrin.gif I'd rate it lower than everything but Westlife so far though, oops!

I'm not so personally bothered about manufactured acts where they have a behind-the-scenes overlord (not everyone musically talented has singing or performing talents, it's fine to have someone else do it for you) - Xenomania for Girls Aloud, Phil Spector for a host of acts, Chinn-Chapman for Sweet, Quatro, Mud etc - or have actual songwriters in the band - Monkees, Take That - and the end product is equally artistically relevant as a bunch of scruffy lads coming together - The Monkees staged a coup and achieved creative control pretty much within 6 months of the first hit singles. Difference between Bowie doing All The Young Dudes for Mott The Hoople to get them chart success, and Adele or Madonna having a horde of professional co-songwriters? Still people manufacturing hits for someone else. Robbie Williams is the ultimate case of boyband member getting control for artistic and commercial success (albeit jointly songwriting that also profited a non-successful but good songwriter) that outdid the original band success. Let's not forget the greatest pop band of all had a bit of creative manufacturing going on when Pete Best was booted out for Ringo Starr, and so did the Sex Pistols after the 2 songwriters had left and they ended up covering an early fab Monkees garage-rock "manufactured" song (I"m Not Your Steppin' Stone, brainchild of Boyce & Hart, key songwriter/pop stars in early Monkees singles and albums) - talk about ironic! laugh.gif

My main problem with manufactured acts is where they are mostly not to my taste, like One Direction, Westlife, Boyzone, or when the music industry pushes something to the exclusion of all else - like the current obsession for multiple songwriters on a song that follows where a zillion mulltiple songwriters have gone before. Back in the olden prehistoric days pop stars seemed to cope with banging out hits without inviting in the local multitudes of the Dial-A-Hit-Factory, nowadays it's obligatory. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Aug 2 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #56
Group icon
On that note I think the 2011 Suedehead2 birthday number 1 will be next.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 2 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Hissjack @ Aug 2 2020, 08:46 PM) *
On that note I think the 2011 Suedehead2 birthday number 1 will be next.

Maybe. Maybe not biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 3 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Following on from the remarks on the previous song, I am always a little nervous when a manufactured band splits up. There is, of course, the possibility that at least one member might surprise me and release some decent stuff. Harry Styles is the most recent example of this. On the other hand, we might end up with four or five individuals each releasing solo material that is very similar to the material they released as part of a group. Alternatively, at least one of them might release a song that is even worse than anything their band released.

That brings us to Melanie Brown, the former Spice Girl. Her debut single, I Want You Back, entered the chart at number one in September 1998 (yes, another 90s number one bites the dust) despite being worse than any Spice Girls chart-topper. That’s what name recognition can do for you. The song featured Missy Elliott and it was to be the only number one for both singers. It completes the bottom ten of this list at number 51. It starts with the two protagonists showing that they can spell their own names and goes downhill from there.

In another reference back to the previous remarks, I Want You Back replaced Robbie WIlliams’ Millennium which had entered at number one the week before. Millennium was a bright spot in a top ten that also featured Steps, Boyzone and Honeyz. Better pickings were to be found elsewhere in the top forty including If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next by Manic Street Preachers, Divine Comedy’s Generation Sex and P J Harvey’s A Perfect Day Elise.

I Want You Back lasted just a week at number one before it was replaced by the abysmal Rollercoaster by B*Witched. Sadly, that beat the vastly superior Perfect 10 by Beautiful South to the top spot.

Only ten songs down and five of the ten 1990s number ones are already out of the running.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 4 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We're in agreement biggrin.gif I didn't rate this much, and the charts were dominated by teeny acts that weren't much cop. Millennium & The Manics were both huge for me, this one wasn't! Of all the Spice Girls, Mel B's is the second least solo career (Hi Victoria) just pipped by Geri H. Emma B's is runner up to Melanie C's easily the most satisfying ex-Spice.

So far, 60 is Westlife, this at 59 laugh.gif (though it did somehow peak at 40 in my charts of the time)

I've been expecting the Vengaboys for quite some time now and getting stressed it was so high - I expect I've taken publishing date of chart-topper, and it's actually the one that knocked it off, thinking about it. Ah well, something old something new, something borrowed and something blue. Probably smile.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 4 2020, 07:22 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I’ve used the date the chart was published. If a new chart was published on my birthday, I’ve used that one. Vengaboys, therefore, are not in the list.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:09 PM