BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joker, 4th October 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jαsє
post 4th September 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Looks SO good. Its been getting rave reviews and Joaquin Phoenix is currently the favourite to take Best Actor at next years Oscars!

Currently 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 9th September 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

This looks f***ing unreal!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th September 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Really excited for this. I love Joaquin and I'm really intrigued to see his interpretation on, quite possibly, the most iconic Superhero Villain of all time.

Atm, I can see this winning Best Film at Oscars, as well as actor tbh.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 4th October 2019, 02:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Seeing this tomorrow biggrin.gif

Down to 69% on Rotten Tomatoes ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Jαsє: 4th October 2019, 02:33 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 4th October 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

It seems to be getting a lot more polarising as it goes on, but it's still creating such a conversation that I can't wait to see it. A character this complex and unique certainly deserves something truly memorable.

+Quote this post
post 5th October 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It's odd how this at first had loads of positive buzz and suddenly out of nowhere all I can see is people saying how problematic and pretentious it was.

I saw it today and I need time to think. Parts of it felt unnecessary, and some of the story beats felt a bit messy. There was some overacting from Phoenix - lots of it read very "I want an Oscar". Also not that this matters in terms of the cinematic experience but am a bit confused about the timeline they're creating here. So when Batman is finally batman Joker will be pushing 70 lol?

Some of it was great though and I think they captured 'Gotham' in a really Nolan kind of way. My main issue is that given it's a film in isolation, it feels pointlessly brutal. It would have been a great build up to a villain we see go up against Batman, and f***ing with with city, but it just leaves you feeling like 'why?' at the end and a bit of a wasted prologue to something that could have been great. I am going to sit in the middle and give it a 3/5.

Also I had no idea De Nero was in this and I always find him infinitely watchable.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th October 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

I watched this, going into it as a big fan of the Batman franchise and I am not totally disappointed! I thought Phoenix has added to the Joker cannon by slotting in somewhere between Ledger and Nicholson as he seemed to merge aspects of both. He was solid, and playing such an incredibly complex character, he did not falter throughout. Over-acting yes, and his "laugh" was overused, but overall, acting was it was solid. De Niro is the greatest cinema actor of all time (easily?) and it was good to see him here slightly more restrained than usual.

The film itself had a few plotlines that had me scratching my head, but overall it was a nice interpretation of Joker's origin (and Batman's). Does it compare and rate alongside the Nolan trilogy and 2/3 of the Burton trilogy? No. But as a standalone film, I am glad we have got it and I just pray it now opens up the possibilities of seeing other Gotham villains getting similar movie treatments. Penguin Man? PLEASE.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th October 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Going to see this tomorrow!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th October 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #9
Group icon

What do we think of the film glorifying mentally unstable people having guns to solve their problems and shining a spotlight on the people behind mass gun crime in the US? The film is very relevant to the US right now, so no wonder it's got everyone talking! A dangerous film, but it has to be because as Joker is one of the most fascinating, dangerous and "real" villains in movie history!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th October 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

That's what films do, they tackle difficult issues.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 7th October 2019, 06:38 AM
Post #11
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Well I saw it a few hours ago and I can see why this movie was so polarizing. In fact, I’m glad that it’s so polarizing because Joker is simultaneously the most complex and most feared villains in the Batman franchise. There were parts where I was like “this would NEVER slide in 2019 media” but then again I don’t think this was a film that was aimed to be politically correct. It was meant to be dark and watched with extreme precaution, like that No Russian scene in Call Of Duty. Joker as a character should be viewed as a monster; he slowly lost his grasp of humanity throughout the movie to the point where he enjoyed being shown as the monster and the violence that he incited didn’t matter anymore. Mind you, this is an interaction of the Joker who has KILLED HIS OWN MOTHER.

What glued me into this movie was the dichotomy of light and dark. Arthur had been beat up and treated with kid hands for most of his life but as the movie progressed we see him slowly descend into darkness until the end where he as the Joker, completely devoid of humanity, is given the spotlight. It shines a light on darkness when the real light (the origins of Batman) emerges from the shadows. Batman is another character that has the same dichotomy; he operates from the shadows but is always shown from a protagonist’s perspective, ergo the “light”.

Imagine what would have happened if Randall hadn’t given Arthur the gun. Arthur would have gone on his days and who knows what would have happened to him? At the same time Bruce would have gone on to grow up fully influenced by his faher’s presence rather than lack thereof. He, the heir to a giant enterprise, would be drowned in privilege, and who knows what he would have done with it? Bruce would end up being the polarizing entity, while Arthur would end up as a nameless contribution to the conversation of why mental health is such a giant issue today..

+Quote this post
post 7th October 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

One of my main issues with the movie is how under-developed Zazie Beetz's character was, that whole plot-line felt like an afterthought. The moment he kissed her it was obvious that it wasn't "real". Even if it was meant to be as obvious as it was, when it was revealed she was never there, it didn't really earn any reaction. Beetz is a great actress, so it would have been nice to see her do something more with the character, that final scene with her would have been so much more harrowing if so.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th October 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(365 @ Oct 7 2019, 03:39 PM) *
One of my main issues with the movie is how under-developed Zazie Beetz's character was, that whole plot-line felt like an afterthought. The moment he kissed her it was obvious that it wasn't "real". Even if it was meant to be as obvious as it was, when it was revealed she was never there, it didn't really earn any reaction. Beetz is a great actress, so it would have been nice to see her do something more with the character, that final scene with her would have been so much more harrowing if so.

I disagree - the film was about Joker, his life, his mind, his outlook on life. Under-developing her character showed perfectly that he too saw the people around him as under-developed as he lacked that social aspect. It would have cheapened the movie to develop her further and create some extended romance story arch. A one man/monster movie where love IS an afterthought!

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 7th October 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I watched this film today and I thought it was brilliant. I was engaged throughout the whole film and never felt bored at any stage, Joaquin Phoenix did a very good job portraying The Joker and there was a good mix of some comedic moments along with the action. I found The Joker's dancing quite hilarious as well.

It's definitely not a film that kids can watch though nor is it one to sit round with family and watch due to the graphically violent scenes.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th October 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Thought it was brillant myself!!

Gary Glitter was played in it lol.

+Quote this post
post 7th October 2019, 11:01 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(HausofF @ Oct 7 2019, 06:59 PM) *
I disagree - the film was about Joker, his life, his mind, his outlook on life. Under-developing her character showed perfectly that he too saw the people around him as under-developed as he lacked that social aspect. It would have cheapened the movie to develop her further and create some extended romance story arch. A one man/monster movie where love IS an afterthought!

I thought they managed the balance with the mother, his work colleagues and even De Nero's character brilliantly though. To me the girlfriend's character just didn't have the same impact the others did.

QUOTE(Houdini @ Oct 7 2019, 07:55 PM) *
It's definitely not a film that kids can watch though nor is it one to sit round with family and watch due to the graphically violent scenes.

I don't think there's many Joker film adaptions meant for kids really!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 8th October 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #17
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(365 @ Oct 5 2019, 12:51 PM) *
Also not that this matters in terms of the cinematic experience but am a bit confused about the timeline they're creating here. So when Batman is finally batman Joker will be pushing 70 lol?
I have a theory that this is only one iteration of Joker and that numerous people have taken on the persona throughout the years, which explains how he and Batman can face off in the present day while being the same age. The progression of the comics has inferred that due to Joker’s unreliable memory there hasn’t been one solidified backstory for him other than something related to comedy. Heck, as far as I’m aware, this is the first time there has been a birth name attached to the villain. It would make sense that he doesn’t know his own origins and has to make one up, because different people have had the pseudonym attached to them before.

+Quote this post
post 8th October 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Call Me Cody @ Oct 8 2019, 09:59 AM) *
I have a theory that this is only one iteration of Joker and that numerous people have taken on the persona throughout the years, which explains how he and Batman can face off in the present day while being the same age. The progression of the comics has inferred that due to Joker’s unreliable memory there hasn’t been one solidified backstory for him other than something related to comedy. Heck, as far as I’m aware, this is the first time there has been a birth name attached to the villain. It would make sense that he doesn’t know his own origins and has to make one up, because different people have had the pseudonym attached to them before.

I like that interpretation. It ties in with the ending of Joker being a movement as well as a character.

The more I think about the film the more it opens itself out to me, it's less than perfect but I think I quite liked it. The same happened to be with 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'. Good film-making is making a film that is a continued experience after you leave the cinema, not just something to fill the time while you eat your popcorn.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 10th October 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Call Me Cody @ Oct 8 2019, 09:59 AM) *
Heck, as far as I’m aware, this is the first time there has been a birth name attached to the villain.

Joker was given the birth name Jack Napier (a play on jack-a-nape) in Tim Burton's 1989 film, Batman. None of the movie's are considered canon and nor is the current film's main inspiration - the graphic novel 'The Killing Joke'

+Quote this post
Jacob35
post 16th October 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #20
Group icon
New Entry
User: 93,909

I really like this movie and watched this movie at the Cinema.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:42 PM