BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Did Love Island make Big Brother obsolete?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post Jun 15 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809
Love Island is now established as the TV event of the summer, I know Big Brother had not been massively popular for years but I reckon that Love Island's increasing popularity was the final nail in BB's coffin.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jun 16 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #2
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(zenon @ Jun 15 2019, 04:12 PM) *
Love Island is now established as the TV event of the summer, I know Big Brother had not been massively popular for years but I reckon that Love Island's increasing popularity was the final nail in BB's coffin.

Pretty much, although Big Brother tried the format with Instagram influencers, agency backgrounds etc. and it just didn't work. The format was just outdated and the new generation had moved on to something different. Sometimes you become a victim of your own success and I am sure Love Island will be the same in a few years.

Love Island now is only what Big Brother was like between 2002-2006. It's always hard to compare the two as while Big Brother had bigger viewing figures, the way we consume media these days is completely different.

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Jun 16 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
Not true. Big Brother was still huge online, “David is dead” and Kim are bigger on Twitter than any moment from Love Island. It’s ratings obviously weren’t as big but it wasn’t really that far behind Love Island. Big Brother had a lot of life left, Channel 5 just had a vendetta against it

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jun 16 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #4
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(No Sleeep @ Jun 16 2019, 11:38 AM) *
Not true. Big Brother was still huge online, “David is dead” and Kim are bigger on Twitter than any moment from Love Island. It’s ratings obviously weren’t as big but it wasn’t really that far behind Love Island. Big Brother had a lot of life left, Channel 5 just had a vendetta against it

I was thinking more the main show, than the Celebrity one.

The celebrity format still had life in it for sure, but Big Brother had definitely become a bit of a niche show something that you "parents or old people" watched if you look at it from the eyes of 16-24 year olds. Just the same as more kids use Snapchat or Instagram over Facebook.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jun 19 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I think one big thing Love Island has over BB as well is that it's a bit more flexible, Big Brother was kind of fixed to eviction every Friday, nominations each weekend and that was that, whereas Love Island can kind of do things as and when without it being seen as a "fix" or whatever, it keeps things fresh and when they do have "twists" or whatever, it always feels like they happen exactly when needed.

It didn't help either that as Love Island rose, BB went a bit too far into trying to capture that same crowd, casting a lot of what I used to say were Ex On The Beach types (young, attractive people who could have been interchangeable of most of those kinds of shows) rather than it being a mix of people. The last series was better in terms of not having so much of that but it was too little too late sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Jun 19 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
Nah I don’t think so really. When it got down to about 1-2m viewers, most of those were loyal fans. I think Big Brother would have died regardless. Big Brother will always be the biggest reality show ever IMO. No other show has made THAT much of an impact.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Jun 19 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002
The problem with BB in the end is that it didn't know what it was anymore. It started chasing the LI audience, realised it wasn't working, then was trying to different things to chase viewers but ultimately ended up alienating the casual viewer and then the hardcore viewer.

It basically lost its identity in its hunt for big twists/ arguments and trying to reclaim viewers. CBB didn't run into the same problem as it was a shorter run and therefore outside of the norm and you also had the pull of the celebs.

I think it was right for BB to end when it did; it was a shadow of its former self - even by Channel 5 standards and the high of BB14 was long gone.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Jun 19 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
Agreed

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 19 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I think they could easily bring back CBB and it'd be a hit! People miss it, especially if they were to do a proper All Stars series to relaunch it.

They won't be able to bring normal BB back and it be a hit ever again though I don't think.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jun 20 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
You could also say that 'punchgate' was one of the biggest talking points of reality TV from last year.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 24 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I think it both did and it didn’t.

Like without CBB especially being huge with a young audience they wouldn’t have even brought back Love Island.

The way last year’s CBB and usual BB went down with viewers can’t be blamed for Love Island as they weren’t aired at the same time.

I felt like they needed more energy in the main show. Last year’s regular BB started off amazingly well but it all went to shit quite fast because the best and most interesting characters left at the beginning.

Also with CBB I think they should’ve kept it as a winter only show. The summer series always used to pale compared to the winter one like I don’t know if the January series had bigger budgets or whatever but that was always the best CBB in the years we got two series a year.

In the UK though the best thing they can do is NOT bring back Big Brother in any form. Love Island is working because it had a long break most of the audience won’t know how that started they probably didn’t even watch S1 and S2 of the ITV2 versions.

Big Brother could be a success again but it needs to be sway first so people can miss it properly.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Jun 24 2019, 12:55 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:15 PM