BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Something To Remember - THE RESULTS, Trying hard to control my heart, I've learned my lesson well
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Feb 21 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #1
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

2nd. Live To Tell = 6 votes

Well here we are guys after months of voting with many surprises throughout the rounds, we ended up with our final 2, 'Live To Tell' & 'Crazy For You', both of which had already featured in the previous 'The Immaculate Collection' poll and both left pretty early on (round 5 & 7), but on this collection they both remained even more popular and sailed all the way to the final and after a very close battle, 'Crazy For You' edges out in front with 7 votes, while the latter scored 6 votes to win.

For the moment lets talk about the runner up 'Live To Tell'. Released in March 1986 as the lead single from her 3rd album the mega smash True Blue. Originally composed by Patrick Leonard for the score of the film Fire with Fire, the instrumental was shown to Madonna, who decided to use it for then-husband Sean Penn's film At Close Range. Madonna wrote all the lyrics, co-composed the melodies, and co-produced it with Leonard. Leonard, although he had initially envisioned a male voice interpreting the song,[3] decided to use Madonna as the main vocalist and used the demo version as the main vocal with backup drums only. The song was well received critically, who frequently referred to it as her best ballad and was probably seen as bit of a risk at the time, especially as Madonna was more well known for her more upbeat dance numbers and especially leading a new era, but it turned out to be a smart move as the song totally smashed upon release by becoming her 3rd U.S. chart topper and hit #2 in the UK, as well as topping the charts in Canada & Italy, and top 5 in 6 other countries.

This was my personal pick for the winner, but alas it wasn't to be, but this song is a hauntingly beautiful pop power ballad as she pours out this sad ballad with telling and moving conviction
of her heart and soul. In this song, I can hear the absolute sadness in Madonna's beautiful vocal, she has written-she feels a lot of emotion in this and even at this early point in her career she can not only surprise us but take a bold move and not afraid to take a risk. Imagine if 'Love Makes The World Go Round' (the original lead choice) got released instead...it just doesn't bare to be thinking about and doubt that would have done half as well or set the way for what would turn out to be her biggest selling studio album to date with 20 Million sold worldwide and 3 of the 5 singles became chart toppers. 'Live To Tell' was and still is a stunner of a song that paved the way beautifully.

Winner: Crazy For You = 7 votes

Well Buzzjack this is your 'Something To Remember' winner Crazy For You, which beats 'LTT' by just 1 vote and has put up an amazing fight throughout the competition and has come out on top, and I would like to thank everybody on this forum whose made this possible.

Released in March 1985 and was taken from the soundtrack album to the film 'Vision Quest', as the first single. Producers Jon Peters and Peter Guber, along with music director Phil Ramone, decided to use Madonna after listening to her previous recordings, employing Bettis and Lind to write the song. After reading the script of the film, Bettis and Lind wrote the song about the situation in which the lead characters meet at a nightclub. Initial recording sessions did not impress Bettis and Lind, and they felt that "Crazy for You" would be dropped from the soundtrack. However, a new version was recorded to their liking. Initially Warner Bros. Records did not want the song to be released as a single, since they believed that it would take away the attention from Madonna's second studio album Like a Virgin. But was eventually greenlit and saw a change in direction for Madonna at the time, who had not released a ballad as a single before and upon release it received a positive critical response and earned Madonna her first Grammy award for 'Best Female Pop Vocal Performance' and became her 2nd chart topper in the USA, as well as topping the charts in Canada & Australia. In the UK it peaked at #2 twice, first in its original release and again in 1991 to promote her first greatest hits album and overall has sold over 700,000 copies, earning a Platinum disc and becoming one of her biggest selling hits there.

Well what can I say about this little beauty, Madonna's first and definitely one of her best ballads, full of longing and yearning, twitch and hope, sadness and desire. Its funny that the final 2 songs left are in fact her first 2 ballads, just goes to show that even at this early stage in her career, Madonna had such powerful depth and helped her further establish her dominance, just simply heartbreaking and brilliant and if you ever want to listen to an 80's power ballad, then look no further than this gem.

Results:
01. Crazy For You = 7/53.85% [To Win]
02. Live To Tell = 6/46.15%
03. You'll See = 6/66.67%
04. Rain = 5/45.45%
05. Take A Bow = 8/50.00%
06. Oh Father = 5/45.45%
07. I'll Remember = 9/64.29%
08. Forbidden Love = 6/60.00%
10. Something To Remember = 7/31.82%
10. This Used To Be My Playground = 7/31.82%
11. I Want You (Ft Massive Attack) = 12 points
12. Love Don't Live Here Anymore = 3/33.33%
13. One More Chance = 6/60.00%
15. I Want You [Orchestral] = 3/30.00%
15. La Isla Bonita = 3/30.30%
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 21 2019, 10:50 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

I'll start the 'GHV2' survivor sometime this weekend..

+Quote Post
vibe
post Feb 22 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Did you mean to write Madonna’s first Grammy nomination ?

My personal top three from this album
1. Crazy For You
2. Oh Father
3. Live To Tell

To think frankie by sister sledge and do the bartman prevented CFY from peaking at number 1. Both horrible songs .

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 22 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #4
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 22 2019, 09:12 AM) *
Did you mean to write Madonna’s first Grammy nomination ?

My personal top three from this album
1. Crazy For You
2. Oh Father
3. Live To Tell

To think frankie by sister sledge and do the bartman prevented CFY from peaking at number 1. Both horrible songs .

Plus The Clash, which I believe was within 1,000 copies.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 23 2019, 05:41 PM
Post #5
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Superb top 2. Thanks for running this series Sam!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Feb 24 2019, 04:34 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Such a strong Top 2! I'd have been happy with either winning, although Crazy for You just edges it for me.

I agree Live to Tell was a bold choice of lead single at the time but it definitely showed off Madonna's capabilities quite early on. Definitely a better choice than Love Makes the World Go Round!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Feb 24 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Thank you very much for hosting this survivor; looking forward to how GHV2 might pan out!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 25 2019, 03:04 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

'GHV2' will be coming later this evening

+Quote Post
vibe
post Feb 28 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

where is it ? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM