BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rule the World or Dying Inside?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
milly
post Aug 11 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540
Considering both are songs that Gary has dedicated at some point to Poppy, which one do you think is better?
Dying Inside is probably Gary's most critically acclaimed song, while RTW is considered TT's best single to date (by many).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dylan62
post Aug 11 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 23,185
Oh Milly, I don't think I can make a decision on this one. DI has the most heart felt, poignant lyrics (probably Gary's best) and RTW has the most beautiful melody and orchestration.

However, I will say this much: I find it very difficult to listen to DI because the lyrics are so heart breaking, whilst I can sing along and get swept away with BW - plus it's a commercial sounding song whereas DI is anything but.

This post has been edited by dylan62: Aug 11 2016, 10:13 PM

+Quote this post
milly
post Aug 11 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I knew this was gonna be a hard one smile.gif
For me, though, DI is the supreme manifesto of a true songwriter and I like the fact that it's anything but a commercial song.

+Quote this post
jay727
post Aug 12 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
DI is a heartbreaking song. It's so meaningful and emotional, I, like Dylan, find it difficult to listen to it

+Quote this post
milly
post Aug 13 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Roycey seems to be a strong supporter of DI and I think he's still trying to convince Gary to do something more with it. I hope he succeeds.

+Quote this post
dylan62
post Aug 13 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
I don't see Gary releasing DI. It's far too personal and it wont make any impact chart wise as it's neither catchy or commercial. There are many wonderfully crafted songs which don't make the mainstream and DI falls into that category.

The relationship between Roycey and Gary's seems to be a strange one. They seemed to have a friendship during X Factor and following Gary's departure, but Roycey tweeted something really unpleasant when Gary refused to meet with a fan who Roycey picked to go to one of the lll tour shows. I don't recall the wording exactly but it really was uncalled for and TT/Gary fans reacted strongly to it at the time. I'm therefore unsure as to the status of their friendship at the moment.

+Quote this post
152wild
post Aug 13 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
New Entry
User: 23,518
Dying Inside

+Quote this post
milly
post Aug 13 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I'm not expecting Gary to release DI as a single, just maybe doing an official video for it, so that more people are aware of its existence.
I wouldn't want it to be a single anyway, cause it would be heartbreaking to see one of the most beautiful songs ever flop.
But it does deserve some form of recognition, something more than just an inclusion on an album.

Roycey seems to still be friends with Gary. These are some of his most recent tweets:

RoyceyVerified account ‏@officialroycey Aug 5
Thank you for being just you Gary. Thank you for being a true friend. You are hugged buddy. Seriously hugged. ❤

Roycey ‏@officialroycey Jul 22
This! And "That song" I wish he'd release! It's getting a tattoo on me anyway next to #AmazingGrace. It's epic and resonates with me on every level.

He's talking here about DI. Even last year he was still talking about DI.

I remember vaguely about TT fans getting upset with Roycey over some comments, but I have no idea what exactly he said about Gary. He seems to be over it.

+Quote this post
dylan62
post Aug 13 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
If Gary is still friends with Roycey then he has a big heart, and is more than a little forgiving. I now recall that Roycey had a meltdown on twitter because Gary didn't drop everything to see the fan he (Roycey) had promised a meet and greet to. I think in the tweet he was very disparaging towards Gary and used the hashtag Dying Inside, which was the reason for the absolute revulsion of fans.

Roycey ended up blocking many fans and sometime later he deleted the critical tweet. I remember thinking at the time it was a strange thing for a friend to do, and in such a public manner.

In terms of DI, I'm surprised he released it at all. When I went to his solo concert he sang the song but for me it didn't sit right in an arena. It worked in the small intimate Radio 2 gig, but the arena was too impersonal. How he actually sings the lyrics without breaking down I simply don't know. It's one of the most personal songs I've ever heard and I can't imagine Gary will ever write something so close to his heart ever again - the lyrics are simply wonderful and authentic.

+Quote this post
milly
post Aug 13 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
That must be why I have no actual recollection of the tweet, if he deleted it. You're right, it's a bit a blow under the belt to bring up DI over such a trivial matter as a meet and greet.
I do hope he had the decency to apologize to Gary afterwards. Gary was in no way obligated to accept a meeting he hadn't set up.

I agree that DI didn't sit well in that medley or in an arena, but I'm still glad we have that tiny bit of it being sung live.
I hope, someday, people learn to appreciate that song properly. It's one of those songs that come only once in a lifetime - thankfully, considering what birthed it! In some ways, it reminds me of Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 14 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Rule the World is an easy choice here as I adore the song.

+Quote this post
jay727
post Aug 18 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
With a million copies sold, it's great to see it resonating with some many people who wouldn't go out of their way to listen to TT music

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 18 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I can only vote for the magnificent Rule The World, it simply stand above the rest.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Apr 24 2018, 05:25 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I'd have to choose Rule The World, although Dying Inside is one of my most played song and one of my go-to songs when I am feeling down and depressed

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 24 2021, 09:42 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Rule the world has turned into a real classic for Take That and a song that will continue to increase sales for years to come.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Mar 28 2021, 12:15 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Rule the World is an iconic Take That single.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Apr 16 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
QUOTE(TomboOnBroadway @ Apr 24 2018, 06:25 AM) *
I'd have to choose Rule The World, although Dying Inside is one of my most played song and one of my go-to songs when I am feeling down and depressed

I was just reading through this thread, not realising I had already replied years ago laugh.gif

Now I would choose Dying Inside, I do love both and both are amazing songs but Dying Inside just connects with me on a personal level and for my depression, it kind of describes perfectly how I feel so it is personally meaningful to me and liked I said before, it is one of my most listened to songs wub.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 17 2021, 02:15 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'd love to see quality of either of these songs again from Take That.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 19 2021, 03:14 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I would be ecstatic if Take That recorded tracks of that standard again.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 22 2021, 04:16 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Its hard to know what direction they will take with the next album, it really could be anything but im hoping its nothing like Garys recent album.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:33 AM