BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
23 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John's Top 947 (!!!), chart points 1968 to 2023
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jun 26 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #301
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jun 26 2019, 02:07 PM) *
I am enjoying many of your inclusions however am increasingly nervous and concerned that we may be counting down to Human cry.gif

Oh you can tell from it's chart run it's done well laugh.gif It, however, is nowhere near the top 40. I'm only human! laugh.gif You can sleep easy...

Enjoy The Silence is a great choice of "poss fave ever single" it never sounds boring from overplay, has loads in the production that peeks through, and is subtly dark and yet tuneful and upbeat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 09:08 AM
Post #302
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

588. SE A VIDA ES (THAT'S THE WAY LIFE IS) - Pet Shop Boys (1996) 1,104,500

Back in latin-rhythm territory 8 years on from Domino Dancing, this lead single off Bilingual was probably the last of their biggish hits, one non-fans would know, and drew the first decade to a close, as the lads moved into a more fan-base and still-critically-acclaimed direction. The drums on this are fab, underpinning an uplifting melody with a hint of wistfulness, and it sorta moved into the boys "I'm gay" statements, having previously never talked about their private lives, and the video chock-full of topless young men cavorting in a pool and at the beach amid a more general "diversity is fab" footage and message. The key verse?

"Why do you want to sit alone in gothic gloom
Surrounded by the ghosts of love that haunt your room?
Somewhere there's a different door to open wide
You gotta throw those skeletons out of your closet and come outside"

Advice I took to heart.

We are only 250 in and the 13th track from the Neil n Chris on the rundown.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #303
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

587. GET DOWN TONIGHT - KC & The Sunshine Band (1975) 1,105,350

KC was a disco-funk powerhouse in '74/75 bridging the gap between soul-funk and actual disco as a genre, and should be credited with kick-starting the whole genre IMHO. There was Philly Soul, there was funk, there was Motown but KC came up with his own Florida brand of groove that had discos bopping. The record that could be thought as the first breakout disco hit (Rock Your Baby) was his (via George McCrae) - it topped the UK charts in late summer '74 as KC's own Queen Of Clubs topped my personal charts as well, such an exciting track that didn't make the rundown sadly - this one though, topped the US charts as KC became unstoppable for a couple of years, That's The Way (I Like It), Shake Shake Shake, and a string of George McCrae tracks. In the UK I was miffed this was just a minor hit, but felt justified a bit when Bamboogie revamped it in the noughties (to lesser effect). There was a weekly NME-styled History Of Rock magazine that built up into an encyclopaedia which eventually annoyed me when it got to disco - disco was sniffily ignored by many music critics, and KC was totally not given his own section when lesser nobodies were given space in other genres. Possibly reverse-discrimination going on, cos KC was white, even though he worked with multi-ethnic musicians on a black label (TK Records) on black genre music. Or else possibly the critics had never actually been to a disco and danced in their life, so the concept was totally alien to them. Dance music? Wassat!? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 09:47 AM
Post #304
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

586. WALK AWAY RENEE - The Four Tops (1967) 1,105,650

Levi Stubbs, for me, is one of the greatest, emotive singers of all time in popular music, his vocals are epic - see Billy Bragg's Levi Stubbs Tears for back-up - and The Four Tops were just a Motown highlight throughout their career on classic after classic. Criminally this is their only classic on my rundown and it's not even a Motown song! Originally a US hit for The Left Banke, a pleasant record, this was a UK-release a few months later over Xmas 1967 and became a monster hit, quite rightly as it's the definitive version, just fab. Here purely on re-issues as I wasn't charting at the time in '67 - though it was a fave of mine back then. The Four Tops first topped my charts in 1972, with 1967 reissued classic Bernadette, and then newie Keeper Of The Castle, but they kept on having hits well into the 80's, by which time they'd been together for over 30 years in the same line-up. I saw them in 1989, around the time my grandma died, which gives them additional pathos for me - as if Reach Out I'll Be There, Baby I Need Your Lovin', and oodles of other heartbreak songs need extra emotion.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #305
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

585. WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE - Cliff Richard (1979) 1,106,200

The moment when Cliff's 2nd career started, his first chart-topper in a decade, and bar the brilliance of the double-whammy of Miss You Nights (744 on the countdown currently) and Devil Woman in 1976 his reinvention had been a long time coming as he had descended into family entertainer and musically had lost relevance, despite the odd great pop single. This 1979 UK chart-topper became a hit in the USA too, and gave him a boost there too, thanks to the production of his old Shads mate Bruce Welch and the fab songs of Alan Tarney. It set up the 80's beautifully, arguably the peak of his career. Look at Cliff on TOTP in the video, looking good, pushing 40 and 20 years into his career already. Let's try and forget about Mistletoe And Wine and The Millennium Prayer and instead recall Wired For Sound, Carrie, Some People, and the gorgeous definitive version of All I Ask Of You. 2nd of 3 on the rundown. This? Probably his career-best record. Sadly all the fab performances seem subject to copyright removal, so this at least has been on nearly a decade..

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 06:41 PM
Post #306
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

584. DOWN UNDER - Men At Work (1982) 1,06,400

The ultimate Aussie record, an 80's anthem, and worldwide chart-topper thanks to that fab fun video. I'd already rated Who Can It Be Now prior to this, and liked the follow-up too (Overkill), but this really was their moment in the sun, and then wham bam thank you m'aam, gone. I caught them in Nottingham in 1983 at the height of their success, and they were rocking. Reminds me of driving the works van (a Mansfield photolab factory where I worked, dropping off the photographs to chain stores in the region, like Boots, back when people printed photos off) while listening to Steve Wright In The Afternoon on Radio One, back when he was funny and ground-breaking, rather than boring and repetitive.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #307
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

583. WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND - Noel Harrison (1969) 1,106,850

Noel, son of actor Rex Harrison, fit nicely into the cool swinging late 60's, starring alongside Stefanie Powers in The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. the never-repeated spin-off from The Man From U.N.C.L.E. fantasy-spy romping from the USA when Brits were cool and in demand on US TV. Noel was more an Olympic skier (yes he so was) than singer, but his talking-singing style totally suited this song, the Michel Legrand gem of a song used as the theme to Steve McQueen & Faye Dunaway's cult movie The Thomas Crown Affair. Covered by thousands, including the US hit version from the sublime Dusty Springfield who did the 2nd-best version - yes even she couldn't manage to top the laid-back atmospheric beauty and coolness of this version. I loved it aged 11, and loved it all over again more recently when Noel died and it charted enough posthumous sales to tip it over into my list.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 12 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #308
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

582. DONNA - 10C.C. (1972) 1,109,200

10CC were basically one-hit wonders Hotlegs (Neanderthal Man, 1970) located in their own studio in Manchester, experimenting in Artrock - Graham Gouldman joined them for the new project, on Jonathan King's UK Records, which meant that Kevin Godley & Lol Creme (future 80's duo artrockers, and music-video creatives) were in the company of young 60's successes Eric Stewart (The Mindbenders and future Paul McCartney co-worker) and Graham (songwriter of many a hit record like Bus Stop while in his teens) Gouldman. Donna was a 50’s pastiche that gave them a debut hit and kick-started their varied, if short, career. Charming, tongue-in-cheek and catchy, Donna introduced the first two years of 10C.C.s career and their first brilliant two albums (10C.C. and Sheet Music) are chock-a-block full of inventive artpop, structurally and production-wise original, from the US-culture-referencing chart-topping Rubber Bullets, the whimsical The Dean And I, the chilling greedy-banker-condemning rocker Wall Street Shuffle, to the modest, amusing Worst band In The World, the rifftastic Speed Kills, and the beautiful, gentle Old Wild Men foretelling the ageing rocker set, the sheer variety (and the abundance of humour) was probably a factor in their being critically-acclaimed at the time, and subsequently ignored for a few decades. Too clever by half! They topped my charts with the far superior Wall Street Shuffle and Speed Kills, but this track is on the list, the 2nd of 5 under the band name, though there’s another 2 on top pending....

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jul 13 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #309
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Donna is a great song. It was kept off the top of the chart for two weeks by Mouldy Old Dough so I suppose those two songs would have been in a battle on your personal chart at the time as well. I'll add to that list from the first two albums,Fresh Air For My Mama and Somewhere In Hollywood.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 13 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #310
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jul 13 2019, 11:21 AM) *
Donna is a great song. It was kept off the top of the chart for two weeks by Mouldy Old Dough so I suppose those two songs would have been in a battle on your personal chart at the time as well. I'll add to that list from the first two albums,Fresh Air For My Mama and Somewhere In Hollywood.

Hi Rollo, good guess, yes Mouldy Old Dough was peaking at 2 around that time. Somewhere in Hollywood is also fab, lovely record. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #311
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

581. WOOD BEEZ (PRAY LIKE ARETHA FRANKLIN) Scritti Politti (1984) 1,1109,400

Scritti Politti started their chart career with a bang, the fabulous Wood Beez referencing the brilliant Aretha Franklin on her finest moment, and doing it in style and with beats, Green Gartside's vocals adding a melodic quality to an unusual synthpop gem. It spent 4 weeks on top of my chart as I languished unemployed again, in a new place with no friends, no job, no car, no future - Poole, in the house I still live in. Severe depression was on the horizon, but at the moment it was job hunting again, and terrific pop to keep me going. Scritti Politti never reached these heights again, but they had a few years of good pop songs like Absolute, The Word Girl, and even a cover of The Beatles B side She's A Woman.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #312
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

580. DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE - The Mamas & The Papas (1967) 1,109,750

Mama Cass was one of my boyhood loves, and this record was far and away my fave record of theirs during the 60's. A cover of a 1959 Shirelles cover of a 1957 minor "5" Royales song, the cool folk-rock combo made it their own with their brilliant harmonies - still very much a lost artform in pop music this century - and became one of my fave bands of the 60's. At this time I lived at RAF Valley on the Isle Of Anglesey and very much into big pop hits. This was one of my faves and remained that way right through the 70's as I managed to tape it off the radio and then bought the terrific Hits album (part 1) on the budget MFP label in late '73/early '74 - for the price of 2 singles you got an actual album with 12 or 14 tracks on! It sold pretty well, and the remaining hits were also released in 1974, I bought it right away, I was a bonafide fan. In the meantime enjoy this performance, all now sadly gone except for Michelle. There will be more from Cass and from the band. This is only this low because I wasn't charting in 1967 - it was a re-issue charting in 1976/77 when I had to create an additional chart for oldies because the record companies were re-issuing at such a furious pace they cluttered up my current charts and oldies started to swamp newies!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #313
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

579. MESSAGES - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (1980) 1,110,450

Another debut chart-topper here, as the fab OMD had not entirely convinced me to chart the previous single, Electricity. By this time, my final year at Lincoln Uni (or Bishop Grosseteste College Of Further Education as it was known then, Bishop Bigballs in some circles) was into exam and assignment mode but I hadn't yet become maudlin with sorrow at having it all come to an end. I loved being there. I loved the new sound of pop synths. I loved this uptempo and fresh-sounding record, and Andy & Paul became faves - though the bigger hit Enola Gay I was less fond of, oddly, just a top 10, but the next hit was also a biggie chart-topper. This though, the first of 5 number ones straddling 35 years, had a 3 weeks on top. Note: there will be no Atomic Kitten featuring in the rundown, Andy's side-project when OMD ran out of steam for a while. They are currently touring and still fab.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #314
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

578. ATOMIC - Blondie (1980) 1,110,850

The best track on the album Eat To The Beat, which they created a series of videos for in it's entirety, a bit of a first back then, and arguably the best Blondie single of all. I insist best "Single" though, the edited version is perfectly-formed and exactly as long as it needs to be, this video version has the meandering instrumental break - but at least it shows the fab video which was a big part in my love of the track, and a step up on previous singles Dreaming and Union City Blue, and back on form. Their 4th chart-topper, 3 weeks on top, and oddly-enough not the highest-placed - there are 2 more to come, previous chart-topper Sunday Girl already having featured. Sadly no room for later chart-toppers, Rapture from 1981 which featured Debs rapping and cool, and the late-career number one - no not Maria, it's Good Boys a flop from 2003 which is way better. Blondie have remained good, including this century.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #315
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

577. ANGEL FINGERS - Wizzard (1973) 1,111,155

Roy Wood's 4th number one (including The Move, ELO, and Wizzard, to date at this point) and following-up the record I was obsessive about for a year (of which more at a later date), this came out in the summer of '73 as we were packing to leave RAF Swinderby, near Lincoln, having had a fair few weeks on radio already. I recorded it, so by the time it came out I'd already gone past my peak love for it, but it still grabbed 2 weeks on top. Roy Wood was my pin-up popstar hero of 1973/74, I was seriously impressed that he was a one-man record-maker, and he harked back to the epic sounds of Phil Spector but with a rock'n'roll spin - and he was SO colourful on Top Of The Pops. Plus he was going out with another fave, Ayshea Brough who had been in the fab Gerry Anderson TV show UFO, and was host/singer of Lift Off With Ayshea, where so many popstars debuted and were showcased. Both Lift Off and Top Of The Pops of the early 70's have been wiped from the recorded archives. No debut by Bowie ahead of Top Of The Pops, virtually nuttin' left, all gone. Colour TV was a new thing at this time and popstars made the most the new medium, glammi' it up big time in multicolour, especially Roy. This is the best clip available - imagine perfect sound quality, spotless full-colour, and Roy competing with the likes of Monster Mash, Donny Osmond's sickly 50's cover-crooning, 50's crooner Al Martino and the bloody TV theme from Van Der Valk to top the charts, and you can see why teens bought up lively Wizzard, Sweet, Mud, Slade & Glitter tracks.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 11 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #316
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Alreadydone at 704 but Radio Ga Ga would occupy this space from extra sales following BoRap....

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Nov 11 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #317
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

I wasn't sure if I knew the Mamas & Papas song from the title but I recognised it when I played the clip. It's certainly a good song with a lot of tempo changes and other treats packed into just 3 minutes. Radio Ga Ga,Messages and Atomic were all in my top 1000. I prefer the longer version of Atomic myself. I like the Scritti Politti song but it was another one,'Oh Patti (Don't Feel Sorry For Loverboy),that made its way into my chart. Great to see Wizzard here as well.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #318
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jun 29 2019, 06:41 PM) *
584. DOWN UNDER - Men At Work (1982) 1,06,400

Great song. Yes Steve Wright then was fab. Mr. Angry from Purley, Damian, Gervase the gay hairdresser. Sid his manager. LOL.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 09:04 AM
Post #319
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 11 2019, 04:49 PM) *
577. ANGEL FINGERS - Wizzard (1973) 1,111,155

Actually prefer this to See My Baby Jive but not really sure why. Both with that big wall of sound.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 12 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #320
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Nov 11 2019, 02:37 PM) *
578. ATOMIC - Blondie (1980) 1,110,850

My favourite Blondie single. What a brilliant group.

This post has been edited by Freddie Kruger: Nov 12 2019, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:00 PM