BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Harry in Don't Worry Darling
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 13th September 2021, 06:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Set in the 1950s, New Line Cinema’s “Don’t Worry Darling” follows a housewife living with her husband in a utopian experimental community who begins to worry that his glamorous company may be hiding disturbing secrets.

Trailer coming soon for Harry's next film, out 23rd September 2021! Harry is playing Jack, the husband of Florence Pugh's Alice.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd May 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon

This looks so interesting!! Much more up my street than Dunkirk ever was (still haven't seen that ph34r.gif)

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th August 2022, 05:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

So Harry's being dragged for this too... it's not his week! One example: https://www.tiktok.com/@thepaced/video/7135532550377819398

People are focusing on his speaking voice veering into different accents, otherwise he's being accused of giving Hollyoaks levels of acting prowess (I saw someone compare him to the Pritchard brothers lol... side note: now that was iconic). cheeseblock.png

Personally I think it could be better to wait to see the whole film to have an opinion on his overall contribution, rather than writing him off on these 20 seconds. kink.gif

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 25th August 2022, 08:19 PM
Post #4
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Tbh it seems fine to me, if anything I think it's the quite northern accent sounding quite strange in a very American production that stands out to me.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2022, 08:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon

Harry's accent is naturally a bit of a mish-mash due to growing up in Cheshire but living in London and the US in more recent years, there's definitely hints of those accents in how he speaks...!

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 26th August 2022, 09:47 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

the acting is dreadful

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 26th August 2022, 09:54 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

I’m waiting until I see the movie to make a judgement

Obviously this is the world we live in now - try to being someone down for sport because they can…..

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 26th August 2022, 09:57 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

harry is on such a pedestal so when he does faulter - he gets the backlash.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 6th September 2022, 07:32 AM
Post #9
Group icon

So far this film has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 45% based on 20 reviews, and a score of 49 on Metacritic - so that’s quite mixed, leaning towards negative.

Reviewers aren’t being very kind about Harry’s contributions. BBC calls him “leaden”, The Times “wooden”, The Independent “lacks charisma”, although GQ does say he’s “refreshingly good”. Some reviews take aim at his accent which was recently mocked online.

Harry is being dragged online for this sound bite: “You know my favorite thing about the movie is like it feels like a… like a movie, it feels like a real like, you know, go to the theater film movie that you know you kind of... the reason why you go to watch something on the big screen”

Things are also getting a bit weird, with some people thinking Harry spat at Chris Pine at the premiere, which has gone viral, although he clearly doesn’t!! Although who knows why Chris Pine behaves awkwardly as Harry takes to his seat?

This film has had such a rocky build up to it (including reasons that don’t involve Harry - the supposed tension between Olivia Wilde and Florence Pugh has received a massive amount of attention). Overall this project doesn’t seem to have been a good venture for Harry… but then again it’s not released to cinemas for another couple of weeks, so it could still be a success despite the lukewarm reviews. Obviously we haven’t seen the film yet, but on the surface this seems like it’s proving to be a misstep in Harry’s career.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 6th September 2022, 09:28 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

the drama behind the scenes is truly causing a stir.

Apparently Flo didn't even acknowledge Olivia.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 6th September 2022, 09:56 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

To be honest I find the Harry Styles fans defending every single move he does so annoying. I don't think he spat on him, but he's acting odd and his acting skills leave a lot to be desired. It's okay to just admit your fave isn't the best at absolutely everything and has some questionable actions - the stans wouldn't even care about this film if he wasn't in it lol.

I feel for Florence in all of this, the only person who has come out of this well.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th September 2022, 03:56 PM
Post #12
Group icon

There's definitely a section of Twitter that's very keen to find reasons to hate on him though (see: the constant gatekeeping of sexuality + accusations of queerbaiting), which is where this spitting thing seems to be gaining traction. What a weird accusation!

I'll wait until I've seen the film to comment on his acting of course but the accent thing is a little stupid when, as said before, his natural accent is all over the place these days, it's what happens when he's spent significant periods of time living and working in multiple places (see someone like Teen Wolf's Daniel Sharman, who has a noticeable American twang to his natural British accent, or Nadine Coyle whose Irish accent is all over the place).

The interview video... Shakespeare's been real quiet since that! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 6th September 2022, 04:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

TBH Joseph - it's a natural occurence that happens to stars as they get bigger... people start to find reasons to dislike them and sadly it's now Harry's turn.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th September 2022, 04:20 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Sep 6 2022, 05:16 PM) *
TBH Joseph - it's a natural occurence that happens to stars as they get bigger... people start to find reasons to dislike them and sadly it's now Harry's turn.

I'm well aware, but there's a difference between people not being fans + people literally waiting to find a reason to jump on someone! (the latter is very present when it comes to Ed Sheeran on this forum lol)

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th September 2022, 04:44 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Its only natural now that he is a huge star that there will be stories and no doubt some will be true and some not or they will twist one element to make it bigger than it was in general though Harry gets very positive press so he is lucky that way which helps.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 7th September 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #16
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I've just watched the trailer, the vibes it's giving me are The White Lotus and Jennifer Lawrence's "Mother". I loved both of those so I'm quite looking forward to seeing this despite the trashing it's been receiving.

It'll be interesting to see how successful it ends up being at the box office and whether 'all publicity is good publicity' will apply as it feels like this has been everywhere the past few days. I hope the Harry fans turn out at Cineworld in force as the cinemas need it heehee.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th September 2022, 06:00 AM
Post #17
Group icon

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd September 2022, 01:45 AM
Post #18
Group icon

Physical copies are already available to pre-order, including this exclusive 4K Steelbook from HMV: https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/4k-ultr...sive)-steelbook

According to Amazon, the movie is being released physically on Monday 26th December (Boxing Day)!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th September 2022, 04:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon

cheer.gif

I'm hoping to see it in a couple of weeks!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th September 2022, 07:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I was supposed to go see it today but I couldn’t get out of bed early enough for the captioned screening at 8am!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:32 PM