BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'FRIENDS' · general discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Seinfeld
post 26th September 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #181
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Sep 26 2019, 03:22 PM) *
Seinfeld was never really big over here (UK) from what I remember, wheres Friends was HUGE. From what I've seen of Seinfeld the characters are incredibly irritating wheres in Friends they really balance each other out. Don't think they would be as lovable if they were all like Monica or all like Ross etc but the mix just works really well.

As I said in a previous post on Seinfeld’s lack of success in the UK...

QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Aug 26 2018, 05:00 AM) *
I've heard people say Seinfeld is too "American" or it's too "Jewish", and they're such lazy assumptions!

It's no more American than say Friends, Cheers, Frasier, Roseanne, Will & Grace or any other American sitcom for that matter. Poor scheduling by the BBC was the main reason why it never really took off in the UK. Seinfeld did have success in other countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Israel.

I'm convinced Seinfeld would have been very popular here if it was aired on Channel 4 and was given a good time slot like all the other big American sitcoms had in the '90s.

And this is how Bal described the genius of Seinfeld...

QUOTE(HausofTove @ Aug 24 2018, 12:50 AM) *
You could do worse than it! It's very eccentric and absurd at times and the concept is 'mundane everyday events turned up to the extreme/on their head' but it's hilarious and witty and very smart with its humour. It also lends itself to a fair few ideas that appear in Friends.

Not the most loveable of casts but that's the point! They are everymen, people next door; flawed, useless, deranged at times - VERY relatable.

A wittier, more eccentric and 'alternate' Friends.

QUOTE(kye @ Sep 26 2019, 03:46 PM) *
what is a seinfeld?

Seinfeld is an American live-action sitcom created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld for NBC. The show stars Seinfeld as a fictionalized version of himself, and mostly focuses on his personal life with a handful of friends and acquaintances, including best friend George Costanza (Jason Alexander), friend and former girlfriend Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and neighbor across the hall Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards). Seinfeld is set predominantly in an apartment building in Manhattan's Upper West Side in New York City. It is often described as being "a show about nothing", as many of its episodes are about the minutiae of daily life.

Seinfeld was produced by West-Shapiro Productions and Castle Rock Entertainment and ran from 1989 to 1998. In syndication, the series is distributed by Sony Pictures Television. It was largely written by David and Seinfeld with script writers who included Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, Gregg Kavet, Carol Leifer, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer, Steve Koren, Jennifer Crittenden, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Dan O'Keefe, Charlie Rubin, Marjorie Gross, Alec Berg, Elaine Pope, and Spike Feresten. A favorite among critics, the series led the Nielsen ratings in seasons six and nine, and finished among the top two (with NBC's ER) every year from 1994 to 1998.

Seinfeld is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms of all time. It has been ranked among the best television shows of all time in publications such as Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, and TV Guide. The show's most renowned episodes include "The Chinese Restaurant", "The Parking Garage", and "The Contest". In 2013, the Writers Guild of America voted it the No. 2 Best Written TV Series of All Time (second to The Sopranos). E! named the series the "Number 1 reason the '90s ruled", and quotes from numerous episodes have become catchphrases in popular culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
kye
post 26th September 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #182
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

you showed so much promise with brit in your sig sad.gif

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 26th September 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #183
Group icon

QUOTE(kye @ Sep 26 2019, 09:33 PM) *
you showed so much promise with brit in your sig sad.gif

Not a fan of Seinfeld, Kye? (I don’t actually understand these type of people tbh) laugh.gif

Not that there’s anything wrong with that...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 21st February 2020, 11:24 PM
Post #184
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Friends, the greatest sitcom EVER and rivalled ONLY by Will and Grace, is BACK!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 21st February 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #185
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Well, it's a reunion special with the cast discussing it rather than an actual new episode.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 21st February 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #186
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Yes, but it will take place on the actual set! That's how Will and Grace came back - and it would still be on the air if not for Debra falling out with and coming for Meghan. Friends is basically BACK!

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 22nd February 2020, 03:10 AM
Post #187
Group icon

Ranking Friends and Will & Grace as the two best sitcoms though mellow.gif wacko.gif

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 22nd February 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #188
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Hard to really care about this considering five of them reunited a few years ago for some tribute show and they've all discussed Friends to death for fifteen years. David Schwimmer literally just got asked about it AGAIN on This Morning last week, while Jennifer Aniston played a 'quotes' game about it on Graham Norton a few months ago too.

Them being questioned about Friends has been pretty relentless and I feel like we've heard everything a million times already.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd February 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #189
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I feel like Friends is actually more popular in the UK these days than in America.
I've started listening to a Friends podcast and they always talk about the fact that when Friends finished in the US, that was it, it dtopped airing regularly until Netflix brought it back - whereas in the UK it kept airing for like a decade on E4 and now still airs on is it Comedy Central?

Its a very comforting show tbh if you can look over the bits that haven't aged as well.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 22nd February 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #190
Group icon

QUOTE(J00ps @ Feb 22 2020, 12:57 PM) *
I feel like Friends is actually more popular in the UK these days than in America.
I've started listening to a Friends podcast and they always talk about the fact that when Friends finished in the US, that was it, it dtopped airing regularly until Netflix brought it back - whereas in the UK it kept airing for like a decade on E4 and now still airs on is it Comedy Central?

Its a very comforting show tbh if you can look over the bits that haven't aged as well.

Friends has always been repeated regularly on NBC since syndication, and is currently airing on Nick at Nite, PHL17 (Pennsylvania and New Jersey), MTV and TBS. That said, you’re probably right about it being more popular in the UK than in the US.

Friends has always been the biggest import from America, in terms of cultural impact and ratings. In the US, it’s more even. There was more competition back in the ‘90s. Arguably, the likes of Seinfeld, Cheers and The Simpsons had more cultural impact and bigger ratings than Friends did in its peak.

I agree though, Friends is a very cosy show. That’s why it has such massive appeal, despite some of its shortcomings.

This post has been edited by Seinfeld: 22nd February 2020, 06:42 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 23rd February 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #191
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Im really looking forward to the reunion, in a way i hope they never do a new episode as i think it is such a huge legacy show that it could never match the original run.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 8th March 2020, 04:29 PM
Post #192
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Never watched Friends but my daughter used to love it.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 8th April 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #193
Group icon

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 12th April 2021, 05:18 PM
Post #194
Group icon

The One Where Regina Phalange meets Art Vandelay

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 17th April 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #195
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

I sometimes watch one of the later seasons and always think of it as 'fairly recent' then I remember they were filmed in like 2002 and 2003 and it's 2021. laugh.gif

Even the likes of Season 4 and 5 seem like they were much more recent culturally and fashion wise than the late 90's in which they were filmed. When you see Season 1 and 2 you notice how old fashioned everything is, though.

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 23rd May 2021, 08:26 PM
Post #196
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

Looking forward to #FriendsReunion on Sky1 on Thursday 8pm

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 23rd May 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #197
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I’m looking forward to it too. I think it’ll be good.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 23rd May 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #198
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Is it an actual episode?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 24th May 2021, 03:34 AM
Post #199
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(steve201 @ May 23 2021, 10:35 PM) *
Is it an actual episode?

The main cast revisit the sets of the original show (such as the Friends apartments, the Central Perk coffee shop, and the Friends water fountain), meet with guests who appeared on the show as well as celebrity guests, do table reads and re-enactments of older Friends episodes, and share behind-the-scenes footage.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th May 2021, 02:38 PM
Post #200
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

In a way im glad its not a new episode as i just dont think it would work for some reason, i still rewatch Friends and i often feel like its in the now so i am happy to have it that way, from the clips i have seen of the reunion it looks good and there is plenty to look forward to.

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 01:32 PM