BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Unpopular Opinions: Spice Girls BuzzJack Edition
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Mar 15 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Like Aly, I also really enjoy 'Desire' and think it's one of Geri's absolute best solo songs.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Mar 15 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
My unpopular opinion... Mel B is arguably the most naturally gifted performer of the band.

She has a broad vocal range that she rarely demonstrates. She has an obvious warm, soothing quality in her lower register, but also a pleasant, easy higher register. Her dance ability comes naturally. And she's always looked stunning.

She owned the 'Forever' era.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Mar 15 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
I think 99% of geri,s solo music is awful and she was always more for the fame than anything else. I feel she has little talent but to be fair her attitude got her where she is not talent.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Mar 15 2019, 06:35 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Mar 15 2019, 11:09 AM) *
My unpopular opinion... Mel B is arguably the most naturally gifted performer of the band.

She has a broad vocal range that she rarely demonstrates. She has an obvious warm, soothing quality in her lower register, but also a pleasant, easy higher register. Her dance ability comes naturally. And she's always looked stunning.

She hardly sings on forever

+Quote this post
southernstar
post Mar 15 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 41,834
- Hot of Mel B is a great album
- Wannabe is overrated, I hate the fact that the girls for many people are recognizable only for this song
- Victoria has a very pleasant voice
- Melanie C is my favourite Spice Girl, I adore her, she's a great singer/songwriter but i think that Emma is a better singer than her
- I love Numb
- Mel B is the best dancer
- I must admit that I'm a little worried for the rendition of Geri in the upcoming tour (because of her singing/dancing abilities), I hope I can be denied
- The apex of Spiceworld for me is the triptych Do It - Denying - Viva Forever
- Tell Me Why, Get Down With Me, Wasting My Time, Weekend Love and Time Goes By are pure fillers, I don't like these songs so much

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 22 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #26
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Ooh a little bump seeing as I feel like I'm developing a few unpopular opinions x

- This Time is Melanie C's best solo song
- When You're Gone is a bit annoying
- LA State of Mind is actually a pretty great album and is better than Hot (is this unpopular? I really don't know x)
- Half of Me is objectively shit (a popular opinion) but I can't help loving it blush.gif
- Desire is one of Geri's best
- Geri doesn't actually have any bad singles (Angels In Chains is probably my least favourite but it's sweet!)
- Not Such An Innocent Girl deserved better
- The highs of Melanie C's solo music are absolutely worthy of rivalling their group singles

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 22 2020, 05:46 PM
Post #27
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
Geri's cover of It's Raining Men is one of the best not just solo Spice songs but overall Spice cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 22 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #28
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
It's Raining Men has been climbing up the Geri ranks for me recently laugh.gif I'd maybe put it... 5th? Behind Bag It Up, Ride It, Mi Chico Latino and Desire x

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 22 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #29
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
It's so euphoric, I'd take it over the orignal Pointer Girls version anyday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jun 22 2020, 05:51 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Mar 15 2019, 12:09 PM) *

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion tbh I think most would agree that the two Mel's are the most talented members of the group performance wise. Both have good voices and both can dance really well. Next is Emma and Victoria in that Emma has a good voice but Victoria is a superior dancer. Then poor Geri can't dance or sing laugh.gif She brought a lot of other creativity and drive to the group though wub.gif

I'd say this is the girls ranking technically

Dancing
1. Melanie B
2. Melanie C
3. Victoria
4. Emma
5. Geri

Singing
1. Melanie C
2. Emma
3. Melanie B (she was pretty much tied with Emma back in the day but Emma's voice has improved while Mel's has got worse)
4. Victoria
5. Geri

Overall performance quality
1. Melanie B/C
2. Emma / Victoria
4. Geri

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 22 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
LA State Of Mind is better than Hot !! And many other solo spice albums.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Jun 23 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 22 2020, 06:51 PM) *
Dancing
1. Melanie B
2. Melanie C
3. Victoria
4. Emma
5. Geri

Oh the shade at Emma's dancing ability. Surely you've not forgotten the 'Maybe' choreo? cool2.gif

I actually think that rank is the unpopular opinion here! Haha

This post has been edited by McAndrew: Jun 23 2020, 03:04 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jun 23 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(McAndrew @ Jun 23 2020, 03:41 PM) *
Oh the shade at Emma's dancing ability. Surely you've not forgotten the 'Maybe' choreo? cool2.gif

I actually think that rank is the unpopular opinion here! Haha

laugh.gif
To be fair I’m not slating Emma’s dancing she’s just the only one (bar Geri of course) who I’ve not seen do a complex fierce powerful routine. Maybe is a fab choreography but it’s not a patch on Victoria during Out of your mind... then the two Mel’s during this tour showed they are clearly the strongest two dancers...

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: Jun 23 2020, 03:28 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jun 23 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 22 2020, 06:51 PM) *
I don't think that is an unpopular opinion tbh I think most would agree that the two Mel's are the most talented members of the group performance wise. Both have good voices and both can dance really well. Next is Emma and Victoria in that Emma has a good voice but Victoria is a superior dancer. Then poor Geri can't dance or sing laugh.gif She brought a lot of other creativity and drive to the group though wub.gif

I'd say this is the girls ranking technically

Dancing
1. Melanie B
2. Melanie C
3. Victoria
4. Emma
5. Geri

Singing
1. Melanie C
2. Emma
3. Melanie B (she was pretty much tied with Emma back in the day but Emma's voice has improved while Mel's has got worse)
4. Victoria
5. Geri

Overall performance quality
1. Melanie B/C
2. Emma / Victoria
4. Geri

Hhhhmmmm this aint it chief blink.gif

I would say that overall in terms of general talent across the board and live performance, Mel C/Emma/Mel B kind of stand equally, I think. Whilst Mel B is the best dancer, Mel C has the best technicality on her voice and Emma is a generally good dancer and the best singer of them all. Each of the three are better at a specific thing that the others lack, I think. but overall the three of them are equal when it comes to performance. Just that Mel B and Mel C have the most 'personality' when it comes to performance due to their 'character's that lend themselves better to a live setting that is so energetic.

In terms of singing, well I think Mel C has had the most training/experience but I actually think that Emma rivals her quite well and at times overtakes her. Mel C is the most consistently good though, that's for sure! When Emma is focused, she can sing better than all of them put together, imo. Mel B's voice has indeed deteriorated with time which is a shame as she has such a lovely tone and she can belt it out when she wants/commits! Victoria and Geri were never great singers, lets be honest. Both their voices did well to compliment the group but individually? Na.... Victoria has some lovely moments (Say You'll Be There, Saturday Night, etc) but in general her tone isnt great...

When it comes to dancing, your rate is spot on though!

So I would do:

Singing:

Emma/Mel C tied
Mel B
Victoria
Geri

Dancing:
Mel C/Mel B
Victoria
Emma
Geri

Overall:

Emma/Mel C/Mel B
Victoria
Geri

cheer.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jun 23 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jun 23 2020, 04:43 PM) *
Hhhhmmmm this aint it chief blink.gif

I would say that overall in terms of general talent across the board and live performance, Mel C/Emma/Mel B kind of stand equally, I think. Whilst Mel B is the best dancer, Mel C has the best technicality on her voice and Emma is a generally good dancer and the best singer of them all. Each of the three are better at a specific thing that the others lack, I think. but overall the three of them are equal when it comes to performance. Just that Mel B and Mel C have the most 'personality' when it comes to performance due to their 'character's that lend themselves better to a live setting that is so energetic.

In terms of singing, well I think Mel C has had the most training/experience but I actually think that Emma rivals her quite well and at times overtakes her. Mel C is the most consistently good though, that's for sure! When Emma is focused, she can sing better than all of them put together, imo. Mel B's voice has indeed deteriorated with time which is a shame as she has such a lovely tone and she can belt it out when she wants/commits! Victoria and Geri were never great singers, lets be honest. Both their voices did well to compliment the group but individually? Na.... Victoria has some lovely moments (Say You'll Be There, Saturday Night, etc) but in general her tone isnt great...

When it comes to dancing, your rate is spot on though!

So I would do:

Singing:

Emma/Mel C tied
Mel B
Victoria
Geri

Dancing:
Mel C/Mel B
Victoria
Emma
Geri

Overall:

Emma/Mel C/Mel B
Victoria
Geri

cheer.gif

I think your rating is probably more fair than mine actually. Maybe I was being a bit harsh because actually Emma's voice supports all the Spice Girls songs tbf, I think I got a bit preoccupied by Victoria's dancing and thought well that's better than Emma's dancing while Emma's singing is better than Victoria's singing...but actually Emma has a strong voice and can dance well while Victoria can dance well but does not have a good voice (if we are being brutally honest) so yes she ranks above Victoria.

Overall performance wise I feel like the two Mel's dominate though, and actually if Mel B's voice was a bit better then I'd put her at #1 she really is an all rounder tbh on the stage performance wise... she owns it! wub.gif

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: Jun 23 2020, 03:57 PM

+Quote this post
Piers
post Jun 24 2020, 05:06 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
I've got one that's sure to be divisive...

I've never totally gotten Let Your Head Go. And I say that as someone who likes *a lot* of their solo singles.

I don't hate it. I've grown to like it a bit better over the years as a guilty pleasure thing. But I find it clunky...and it's one of *very* few solo singles where I find the lyrics to be...eh.

Oh the flip side, I actually really, really like her unreleased pop album. But it's to note...the rest of that material was created by Richard Stannard and other high profile writers/producers. Let Your Head Go is the only one with producers behind it...who don't appear to have done much else. To me, it's the clear weakest of all the unreleased pop album tracks. Though...I will say I like LYHG better than the majority of the unreleased Damon Dash material.

I was convinced for a while that Victoria intentionally picked the weakest of her pop material (LYHG)...to release on a double AA side with the best of her r'n'b material (This Groove), in an attempt to rig audience reception and convince Simon Fuller to go the r'n'b album route. But. Instead, it seems most fans actually find LYHG to be the best of her solo singles. So. I think I stand corrected.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jun 24 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 23 2020, 04:56 PM) *
I think your rating is probably more fair than mine actually. Maybe I was being a bit harsh because actually Emma's voice supports all the Spice Girls songs tbf, I think I got a bit preoccupied by Victoria's dancing and thought well that's better than Emma's dancing while Emma's singing is better than Victoria's singing...but actually Emma has a strong voice and can dance well while Victoria can dance well but does not have a good voice (if we are being brutally honest) so yes she ranks above Victoria.

Overall performance wise I feel like the two Mel's dominate though, and actually if Mel B's voice was a bit better then I'd put her at #1 she really is an all rounder tbh on the stage performance wise... she owns it! wub.gif

Bunton is definitely up there with the Mels as the best of the lot in general. You can apply that thinking around 'if Mel B's voice was better' to Bunton's dancing abilities. She is super present and engaged, and she shines live just like the other two. She isn't as 'energetic' but that doesnt always mean that she isnt better. Her performance style is more relaxed, but that doesnt mean it is less engaging. As a performer myself, let me tell you that this is all a personal perspective situation. Art and performance is about attraction. So if you would like art works and performances that are more energetic, then Mel C and Mel B will take the cake for you. If you are the type of person who prefers a more relaxed performance, then Bunton is your gal. But overall, the three of them are on equal footings, I think.

But yes, I wish Mel B would have taken better care of her voice AND singing abilities. She is great and could be a great singer if she set her mind to it.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jun 24 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I suppose my main Unpopular Opinion is this:

If Emma had a better A&R, live touring and PR team around her, she would be the most successful solo Spice today

cool.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jun 24 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jun 24 2020, 01:25 PM) *
I suppose my main Unpopular Opinion is this:

If Emma had a better A&R, live touring and PR team around her, she would be the most successful solo Spice today

cool.gif

and better music, more talent, more passion, wasn't so bloody lazy... kink.gif

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Jun 24 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,953
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jun 24 2020, 07:24 PM) *
Bunton is definitely up there with the Mels as the best of the lot in general. You can apply that thinking around 'if Mel B's voice was better' to Bunton's dancing abilities. She is super present and engaged, and she shines live just like the other two. She isn't as 'energetic' but that doesnt always mean that she isnt better. Her performance style is more relaxed, but that doesnt mean it is less engaging. As a performer myself, let me tell you that this is all a personal perspective situation. Art and performance is about attraction. So if you would like art works and performances that are more energetic, then Mel C and Mel B will take the cake for you. If you are the type of person who prefers a more relaxed performance, then Bunton is your gal. But overall, the three of them are on equal footings, I think.

But yes, I wish Mel B would have taken better care of her voice AND singing abilities. She is great and could be a great singer if she set her mind to it.

Absolutely correct. Art is diverse, otherwise it would be so boring. Emma is a natural performer in her own way, her dance moves suit her well and her presence is always attractive and charming. During Olympics performance Baby Spice was trending along with Mel B. I guess being in the spice girls had messed up all the girls heads, some losing confidence, some think they're superior than other girls. And talent is overrated, the fact that people always think someone has no talent so they don't deserve success or worhtless is dead wrong. Being lazy doesn't deserve success though.

This post has been edited by JaneJ: Jun 24 2020, 02:47 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:14 PM