BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Suicide Squad, DC 2016
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Apr 11 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #41
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
They should leave the tone of it alone. It looks amaze from the trailers, something which can't be said for BvS for me. I have faith though. What's Zack Snyders involvement in this film? Does he have any?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post Apr 11 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Snyder is not involved to any significant degree. As you can probably tell by the tone of the trailers SS appears much more 'fun'. He's only involved in the Justice League movies and as producer on Aquaman so far.
According to early screenings there's a lot more Batman than anybody expected too

I agree that it appears to be pitched perfectly - Gleeful chaos.

It seems only the bad guys are allowed to have fun in DC's movie world

This post has been edited by Severin: Apr 11 2016, 11:40 AM

+Quote this post
jark
post Apr 11 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #43
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Actually Snyder's involvement is the same as it is for Aquaman, he's exec producer along with his wife Deborah. But the real creative credits belong to David Ayer and Charles Roven.

Anyway, that is one how one does a f***ing trailer. Holy QUINN.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Apr 11 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(jark @ Apr 11 2016, 07:13 PM) *
Actually Snyder's involvement is the same as it is for Aquaman, he's exec producer along with his wife Deborah. But the real creative credits belong to David Ayer and Charles Roven.

Anyway, that is one how one does a f***ing trailer. Holy QUINN.

Not true I'm afraid.

Yes, he's Exec Prod. on Suicide Squad but EP's only tend to deal with a films finances and legal issues. It's often an 'in name only' credit too. So as I said, nothing significant in the actual creative process.

He is the actual Producer of Aquaman which is much more hands on.

This post has been edited by Severin: Apr 11 2016, 07:34 PM

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Aug 3 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #45
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Planning to see this on Saturday, the trailer looks really good..but what's going wrong? drama.gif 33% on RT after 72 reviews unsure.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Aug 3 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I always thought this might not be that good so the reviews aren't a surprise to me. The trailer looked a bit style over substance, and the whole thing seems to be relying on hype ... much like Batman vs. Superman did.

+Quote this post
post Aug 3 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I'm seeing this tomorrow. The reviews are disappointing but Empire and Guardian gave it decent reviews (4/5 and 3/5 respectively). And I still think the BvS reviews were way harsher than they needed to be, so I'm still looking forward to it.

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post Aug 3 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783
I'm probably going to wait to see this, because I'm afraid the plot will be too thin and not really worth the expensive ticket to the theater. I still think it'll be entertaining to rent.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 4 2016, 02:02 AM
Post #49
Group icon
Hmm. For some reason I am still excited to see this. Unlike when the reviews for 'Fantastic 4' and 'Batman vs. Superman' came in I actually feared they weren't my thing and I was right, so hopefully this will only be a "slight" disappointment at worst...

I wish DC fans would stop going OTT about stuff. Petitioning for RT to stop posting negative reviews? Do they understand how RT works? huh.gif Maybe the critics just generally dislike the films? Also a lot of theorists saying Marvel/Disney PAY RT and critics to publish rubbish reviews etc.. drama.gif (I found out RT is 30% owned by Warner Brothers or something, so that really isn't the case laugh.gif)

They're the same audience to "review" films on sites before they're released to the public, hence why 'Ghostbusters' had a 3.8 on IMDb or something before release anywhere.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Aug 4 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Mansonette
I'm still keen on seeing this. Going tomorrow.

Personally I think the reviews for BVS were excessively negative. Sure, it was flawed even stupid in a number of ways but it also had a number of great elements to it and scores of 2/10 were ridiculous I think the critics can't quite get their head round the tone of the universe so far. Marvel's world makes much more sense as it is very much a universe were the Superheroes a beacons of hope in a troubled world yet DC's take on it has most often been that with a world gone to Hell you get 'heroes' that were born from that world. Superman and Wonder Woman being the major exceptions but most of DC's heroes are much more flawed than Marvel's - Spiderman spends as more time pursuing Mary Jane and cracking jokes as he does feeling guilt over his role in his uncle's death. Batman has never come to terms with the loss of his parents and has spent his life trying to save Gotham, even though he uses fear and terror tactics to do so.

For many years the general public's idea of Batman came from the TV show and the critics don't seem to like the idea that Batman is a damaged sociopath with serious psychological problems, and couldn't take to the idea of Superman being a figure we might fear or mistrust.

You can see the same problem in the SS reviews. The trailers have misled people into thinking that Harley Quinn is simply insane and people claiming that the character is over sexualized are missing the point. Harley is a fully trained psychiatrist who understands how people think and is a master manipulator (except where Joker is concerned). In the film before she picks her costume she does look at several outfits (including her classic look) and the people around her before picking the one that she knows is going to allow her to play the sex toy and distract the men. You can see in clips how she plays the fool on meeting Katana. She's been renowned down the years for making people underestimate her.

And with the Batman issues in the film - remember to the bad guys Batman is the bad guy.

As for complaints about a lack of plot and an obvious final villain reveal. There was never supposed to be much story. The story is simply meant to be 'what happens when you use 'the worst of the worst' to solve your problems?'. Joker is an agent of chaos so why would his actions make sense to us? He's only there because shit is going down and Harley's in town.

And if you hadn't worked out who the final villain was by the second trailer then you probably weren't paying attention anyway

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 5 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #51
Group icon
The reviews are overly harsh on this. I enjoyed it. Did I love it? No, but I most certainly didn't dislike or hate it. I feel the same way with this as I did with 'X-Men: Apocalypse'. A lot of promised potential, but it wasn't completely wasted. The first 30 mins or so dragged a bit, but once it got going, I was really into it. It feels like more of a "set-up" kind of movie and I think it will actually benefit from having a sequel, now that all the characters have backgrounds etc... and they can focus on the baddies etc.. A lot of the beginning felt like they were using songs just for the sake of it.

Margot Robbie, unpredictably, steals the show! I honestly couldn't tell you my opinions on Jared as the Joker atm because quite frankly I don't think we saw enough of him to make a proper opinion. I do think he could be quite an annoying one though, but we'll see in future installments.

Good, enjoyable and fun popcorn filler. A lot of potential was missed, but not to the degree that a sequel couldn't fix. 7/10 for me.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Aug 5 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #52
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Aug 4 2016, 06:07 PM) *
The reviews are overly harsh on this. I enjoyed it. Did I love it? No, but I most certainly didn't dislike or hate it. I feel the same way with this as I did with 'X-Men: Apocalypse'. A lot of promised potential, but it wasn't completely wasted. The first 30 mins or so dragged a bit, but once it got going, I was really into it. It feels like more of a "set-up" kind of movie and I think it will actually benefit from having a sequel, now that all the characters have backgrounds etc... and they can focus on the baddies etc.. A lot of the beginning felt like they were using songs just for the sake of it.

Margot Robbie, unpredictably, steals the show! I honestly couldn't tell you my opinions on Jared as the Joker atm because quite frankly I don't think we saw enough of him to make a proper opinion. I do think he could be quite an annoying one though, but we'll see in future installments.

Good, enjoyable and fun popcorn filler. A lot of potential was missed, but not to the degree that a sequel couldn't fix. 7/10 for me.
If we're gonna talk set-up, if you stayed in past the main credits you can see that this is a set-up for the new Justice League movie.

+Quote this post
post Aug 5 2016, 09:05 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
QUOTE(Severin @ Aug 4 2016, 01:47 PM) *
Personally I think the reviews for BVS were excessively negative. Sure, it was flawed even stupid in a number of ways but it also had a number of great elements to it and scores of 2/10 were ridiculous I think the critics can't quite get their head round the tone of the universe so far.

100% agree with this.

In terms of Suicide Squad, it was indeed a bit of a mess, and there were some really dodgy moments of dialogue. They particularly messed up Harley Quinn (who Margot did brilliantly) with song bad one-liners. The Witch stuff was way too over the top and the overlong story was hard to follow. BUT there was still so much to enjoy. I think Jared Leto was fabulous as the Joker, really slick and pulled it off fantastically. Viola Davis was also great and actually, I don't usually like him, but Will Smith was pretty good. Some of the action and humour was really on point and particularly the first half was really entertaining. I also loved how much it tied in with BvS with appearances from Batman and the Flash and lots of reference to Superman's "death".

I think anything less than a 3/5 is a bit harsh, which is what I'd give this.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Aug 6 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #54
Group icon
Mansonette
OK review time! It seriously doesn't deserve the reviews it's getting. It's not perfect but it is a lot more fun than BVS and I still enjoyed that. Robbie is perfect, Affleck is great. Smith is Will Smith but still has buckets of charisma. Leto is interesting and creepy but doesn't get much screen time. When Joker and Harley are together it really comes alive. The rest are a solid support. It's fast paced, loud, funny and brash, has some great moments, a few clunky ones, a villain that is both awesome and disappointing by turns as well as being bloody obvious. It's not deep, meaningful of clever but it is popcorn fodder. Final verdict - probably a 7/10 but worth it for Harley Quinn alone.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Aug 6 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #55
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I'm seeing this on Monday after the weekend rush, I give a review after I have seen it

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Aug 6 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #56
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Don't feel like I enjoyed it as much as I hoped I would from the trailer, but given the reviews I wouldn't consider it a disappointment. I'd agree with 7/10 which puts it about in the middle for 'superhero' movies this year for me.

It does feel like a "set-up" but I liked getting to see the backgrounds of the characters. It lost me a bit with some of the action but it was funny, Margot was great and I liked Will Smith a lot more than I would've expected.

+Quote this post
Hadji
post Aug 6 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386
It's funny how Jared Leto who plays the Joker was killed in American Psycho by Christian Bale who played Batman

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Aug 8 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #58
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
5/10 for me. Enjoyable, but both 'halves' of the film had problems. The first 40 minutes or so felt like a recap of about four different films which DC probably should have made first - they're so obviously trying to skip ahead to the ensemble films that they're not leaving themselves any time to introduce the characters. They've always had better villains then Marvel but none of them except maybe Harley and Deadshot got the introduction they deserved here.

Second half was a bit formulaic. The twist with Amanda Waller was very good though.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Aug 8 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Mansonette
Looks like Warner's really screwed the film over with the re-cut.

Look at what it could have been http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/fil...ared-Leto-Joker

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 8 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
QUOTE(Severin @ Aug 8 2016, 04:20 PM) *
Looks like Warner's really screwed the film over with the re-cut.

Look at what it could have been http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/fil...ared-Leto-Joker

I felt like this was a big problem with Batman vs. Superman too. Having seen both versions, the extended edition answers pretty much all the questions left after the theatrical version and blends all the various stories together, like Lois' sidestory.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:15 PM