BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hillsborough Chief Cleared Of Manslaughter
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post Nov 28 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Overshadowed by election news.

From BBC News:

Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield has been found not guilty of the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans in the 1989 disaster.

The former South Yorkshire Police chief superintendent, 75, was in charge of the FA Cup semi-final in which 96 fans were fatally injured.

Men, women and children were crushed on the Leppings Lane terrace.

Mr Duckenfield, of Ferndown, Dorset, was cleared after a seven-week retrial at Preston Crown Court.

Due to the law at the time, there can be no prosecution over the death of the 96th victim, Tony Bland.

This is because he died more than a year and a day after his injuries were caused.

The jury at Mr Duckenfield's original trial earlier this year failed to agree a verdict.

There were gasps in court as the seven women and three men on the jury returned the verdict, following 13 hours and 43 minutes of discussions.
Reason for edit: Insensitive views that could cause upset/anger edited out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 28 2019, 11:51 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Why should a guy in his twilight years, 75, be made a scapegoat for what was essentially an accident that no-one could have predicted or was responsible for.

No doubt the relatives won't be happy as they just want someone, even an elderly man, to be jailed. It's time they let it go now.

EDIT. The families want the Crown to appeal. They won't rest until justice is served. Nearly 31 years and time to let it go. Yes it was an awful tragedy but no one man was to blame. Yes he made mistakes as others did but we can't bring the 96 back.

This post has been edited by Doctor Bitch: Nov 29 2019, 12:28 AM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 29 2019, 12:32 AM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Chris - can you please stop trying to incite anger or hostile responses by posting deliberately inflammatory remarks? I've edited out the offending lines.

We've been very lenient allowing you to continue to post here, but please refrain from such posts in the future or you may face a ban - NOT something that I would like to see as I welcome debate and challenging view points.

With regard to Hillsborough, I don't know a huge amount apart from the way that the Liverpool fans were used as a scapegoat by the government of the time which was then amplified by some of the right wing media (the Sun) to cover up for some pretty blatant failings by those who were responsible for the safety of the fans including (at the time) Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Bitch @ Nov 29 2019, 12:32 AM) *
Chris - can you please stop trying to incite anger or hostile responses by posting deliberately inflammatory remarks? I've edited out the offending lines.

We've been very lenient allowing you to continue to post here, but please refrain from such posts in the future or you may face a ban - NOT something that I would like to see as I welcome debate and challenging view points.

Okay, right, we'll leave it with just the facts then. I have my opinions which I thought I could post in a democracy just as others will have theirs.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Must say I'd never heard about this today until I saw it on DS. The election sure has overshadowed all other news. Ordinarily this would have been the top story today.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 12:40 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Bitch @ Nov 29 2019, 12:32 AM) *
With regard to Hillsborough, I don't know a huge amount apart from the way that the Liverpool fans were used as a scapegoat by the government of the time which was then amplified by some of the right wing media (the Sun) to cover up for some pretty blatant failings by those who were responsible for the safety of the fans including (at the time) Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield.

Yes he did fail in some respects as he hadn't enough experience but did what he thought was right at the time. He had to decide between opening the gate to avoid a crush outside or not opening it. The burden of proof for manslaughter is fairly high and wasn't reached apparently. Very sad case all round. sad.gif

To be fair The Sun only printed what they were told by S.Yorks. police. The newspaper is still now banned in Liverpool but sold under the counter. Police were called to a pub recently by a customer when he was asked to surrender his copy of The Sun to locals who got angry when he refused to leave the pub. As he pointed out to attending officers he has a right to read whatever newspaper he likes but they rightly told him the landlord also has a right to ask him to leave the pub which he then did.

This post has been edited by common sense: Nov 29 2019, 09:25 AM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 29 2019, 12:43 AM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

You can put forward your opinion, but to deliberately revel in delight at a decision going against someone is uncalled for, particularly in such a sensitive case such as this.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Nov 29 2019, 01:30 AM
Post #8
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Why do you even revel in something like this anyway??

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 09:23 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Nov 29 2019, 01:30 AM) *
Why do you even revel in something like this anyway??

I don't think what I posted was revelling in it.

This post has been edited by common sense: Nov 29 2019, 10:43 AM

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 29 2019, 12:54 PM
Post #10
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

So if criminals don't get punished at the time we should just let them off? Wow.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 29 2019, 01:02 PM
Post #11
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Politics isn't a game, common sense. If you want a sense of "winning" and supporting the villains, i this case the evil tories over the people, why not just watch UFC or the premier league? I'm serious.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 04:04 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JingleBellJüpes @ Nov 29 2019, 12:54 PM) *
So if criminals don't get punished at the time we should just let them off? Wow.

He's being made a scapegoat though. Yes he made mistakes and shouldn't have been in charge of that match but he wasn't guilty of killing them. It was just a tragic accident and very sad.

The families really should let it rest now after 30 years. I know what it's like to lose a loved one and have every sympathy for them but this has gone on long enough now. Saw a clip on the news with that mother, Margaret Aspinall saying he should be in jail and stripped of his 30k police pension. What good would that do though? Would putting an old man in prison bring her poor son back? No of course not.

This post has been edited by common sense: Nov 29 2019, 04:11 PM

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I do agree with her that if they were unlawfully killed, as the second inquest decided, then who killed them? Well it wasn't one person, was a combination of events and circumstances.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 29 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

He was in charge. That means he should take responsibility for what happened. What's so difficult about that? He made a mistake and then lied about it. Those lies allowed him to continue in a well-paid job for the next thirty years.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

He had a very unenviable decision to make. I wouldn't have liked to have been in his shoes having to decide whether to open the gates as it looked like there would be a crush outside. Then him doing that, his decision alone, meant there was a crush inside.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

If you watch Margaret Aspinall's interview in full she says she knew he'd get off. I did. I thought he would. There's no way the Establishment was going to let an ex cop go to jail for killing 96 people. That's just how it is. I bet that soldier gets off next year too. In fact I'd bet all my savings that he does.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 29 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(common sense @ Nov 29 2019, 04:19 PM) *
He had a very unenviable decision to make. I wouldn't have liked to have been in his shoes having to decide whether to open the gates as it looked like there would be a crush outside. Then him doing that, his decision alone, meant there was a crush inside.

And the fact that he lied about it?

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post Nov 29 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 29 2019, 04:36 PM) *
And the fact that he lied about it?

No it wasn't right that he lied but suppose he was scared. Fear of the consequences can make anyone lie.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 AM