BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melodifestivalen 2020 / heat two / Göteborg (8th Feb)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Feb 4 2020, 11:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Good old Mello, getting us off to a totally safe and unsurprising start as always! So whilst Felix has the remainder of February to (hopefully) build up a head of steam into Andra Chansen, seven more new (in one case SUPER NEW) contestants descend on Sweden's second city ready to do battle for the next two spots in the final!

1. Klara Hammarstrom - Nobody

Fist up we've got somebody fresh and (relatively) untested. Klara is known more for her forays into reality television in Sweden than being a recording artist but being given the opening slot in this heat suggests that she's brought something to the table that at least warrants a fair bit of hype. She's promised that this one is an uptempo party song so that should at least be enough to get the party started.

2. Jan Johansen - Miraklernas Tid

So, DRAMA ALERT, the original singer of this track has been removed from the competition for some...improprieties shall we say, so you're spared my reminiscing about Mello 2012 in favour of Jan Johansen who you'll remember from last week (and fellow boomers will remember from a 3rd place in Eurovision 1995 and a smattering of Melfest appearances in the early 00s). This will no doubt raise speculation about what this sudden flash of press attention will do for this track that feels like it's been buried in this heat rather than allowed to flourish but we're at least going to pay attention to this one!

3. Dotter - Bulletproof

Redemption alert! So, remember how back in 2018 it had been a really slow start to Mello and Benjamin Ingrosso looked like he had one of the most disappointing runaway winners ever? Well, this bish had the speculators all a flutter with excitement that she had the song that was the surprise winner! And then she....came 6th in her heat. Partly because said song was a reheated version of 'Issues' and partly because whatever artistic director/choreographer was managing that performance thought it would be a good idea to pair a song about vulnerability and friendship with Dotter aggressively boppin' around like a gangster.

So, given that she's got a song with a broadly similar subject matter this time around (main refrain seems to be "I'm not bulletproof") you would hope that lessons have been learnt and that Dotter's ready to show what she's truly capable of. It's rare that people get invited back to Melfest after not even getting through into the Heat's top 5, rarer still is it for someone to come back after a 6th place and improve on their result so the deck is very much stacked against her.

4. Mendez feat. Alvaro Estrella - Vamos Amigos

Speaking of Heat 3 in Mello 2018, Mendez is back with - you guessed it - a latin inspired pop/dance number. Only this time we've got Alvaro Estrella, backing singer for a series of Eurovision entries for Sweden and Russia and performer of the legendary Melfest flop "Bedroom" joining him on stage in Sweden's best and/or worst DDLB coupling ever to appear on television. If there's any redemption arc to be found here it's probably Mendez learning to either improve his singing ability or get someone else on board to carry the chorus. This will no doubt be a bop but is the whole latin pop thing a bit done now for this to really rake in the votes?

5. Linda Bengtzing - Alla Mina Sorger

All Queers to be upstanding in the presence of royalty! Bengtzing is hoping to make like Saint Sanna and finally take the Melfest crown on her seventh attempt in the competition. After going what you'd call "a bit modern" with her 2014 entry "Ta Mig" and 2016's "Killer Girl" Linda is taking us back to her roots with a balls to the wall schlager pop anthem. And who knows, if Sonja can make 5th place in a heat in 2020, maybe there's enough elderly people and homosexuals in Sweden who just want something the sounds like the good old days to vote for?

6. Paul Rey - Talking In My Sleep

Oh no, the lone contemporary male soloist in the lineup...well lets hope it's something good because it'll (in all likelihood) be a direct qualifier. There's reason to believe that he could deliver but even so, make your peace with this knocking out your fave now while there's still time!

7. Anna Bergendahl - Kingdom Come

After last year's redemption storyline of her paying the penance of Oslo 2010, Anna Bergendahl is back to Melodifestivalen already with something that's been billed as being more of an uptempo pop song (Anna will be joined by no less than 6 dancers on stage this weekend) with the same Country/Americana vibe as "Ashes to Ashes". The question will be if she's genuinely got another top shelf quality track behind her or if she's just countrified one of the standard issue G:Son numbers and is chancing her arm before an album drop in the Spring? Only time will tell

-x-

So in conclusion, there's a lot of contestants hoping to get some of that redemption storyline but, ultimately, not everybody is going to get what they want!

Snippets will be out Thursday lunchtime as usual.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 4 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
See I'm cautiously optimistic about Dotter, like I can't imagine she'd come back or she'd be invited back after Cry unless it was good enough to warrant that, but then there's also Janet Leon's SAGA which could feasibly happen again laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 6 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I think Anna might have this! The clip already sounds SO much better than Ashes to Ashes. Paul Rey sounds like a hit too, think those two might be DTF judging on the clips. I feel like I'm gonna like Dotter's song too but it's another Sia rip-off and I don't think she can do it better than Malou did last week.

+Quote this post
eurovision4ever
post Feb 6 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 19,535
Anna sounds brilliant. Would love her and Linda but like Sonja don’t think she has a chance.

This sounds a much better semi than last week

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 7 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
My guess is..

DTF: Mendez & Anna
AC: Paul Rey & Dotter maybe? Or Klara perhaps.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 7 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Genrep is in:

1. Mendez & Alvaro - 178
2. Anna Bergendahl - 131
3. Dotter - 129
4. Paul Rey - 117
5. Klara - 63
6. Linda Bengtzing - 55
7. Jan Johansen - 24

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 7 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
Yeah I think Mendez is AC at best again this time.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Feb 8 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
This looks like being a really interesting heat...is it possible for Mendez, Anna AND Dotter to all go one better than their previous heat performance??

I would’ve thought that Paul Rey would get in the way of that happening, but with Felix only managing AC coupled with that audience poll, who knows

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Feb 8 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
f*** me this first song is an early noughties bop!

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 8 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
WHY WASNT THIS GIVEN TO JANET LEON?!?

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 8 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
'Nobody' is a certified bop - I can see that sneaking an AC place off of one of the favourites.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 8 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 8 2020, 08:15 PM) *
'Nobody' is a certified bop - I can see that sneaking an AC place off of one of the favourites.

Agreed. That was great!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Feb 8 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Klara was FABULOUS *.*

+Quote this post
LexC
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
This doing the exact same as Sonja last week with the heart solidly going between just two colours makes me worry about this one.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
Post #15
Group icon
At least our ears were saved from Thorsten's 'vocals'...

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Feb 8 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Nobody is really good indeed, the spirit and melody of an early 00s entry but with Spotify playlist type production.

Jan is note and pitch perfect in this, and good on him for doing it at the last minute with hardly any chance to rehearse, but the song isn't exactly one of G:Son's best.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 8 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Wow

+Quote this post
LexC
Post #18
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
I predict Dotter v Malou as this years super obvious Andra Chansen duel (and if it doesn't happen that means they both came 3rd/4th)

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
Post #19
Group icon
I enjoyed that far more than 'Cry', I love a good hair flip.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Feb 8 2020, 07:28 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Really liked that too, much better than Cry. Seemed really anthemic and warm, and I enjoyed the use of lighting in the performance.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:42 PM