BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful, includes 'Élan' and 'Shudder Before The Beautiful'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Feb 8 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Gets released to the world on February 13th.

The world will then finally see whether adding Floor Jansen to the group was a good idea or not (I have faith that it will be because Nightwish never let me down).

This is probably, literally the most excited I have been for a single release in a LONG LONG time. I have been counting down the days since December when I first saw the new album officially announced. I hear there's a leak out there of 'Élan' and while for lesser bands I would try and go search that out for this, even though I am desperate to hear it, I will stay the course and wait the extra 5 days.

So yeah, return of the rulers of symphonic metal, huge huge excitement. On my part at least, and hopefully somebody else's as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 13 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

First thoughts: it's not as punchy as Storytime was, but more so than Eva, and I like both extremes of those. Floor definitely has a softer vocal style than Anette or Tarja did, but there's enough cinematic Celtic goodness for me to like this on first listen. Feels very similar to some of the stuff on the last two albums, Last Of The Wilds specifically, so that means good things to come.

It's not 'the best thing ever' on first listen but I'm definitely giving this a lot of chances to change that.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 13 2015, 02:27 PM
Post #3
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

....not totally sold yet, gonna take more than this to convince me that dumping Anette was a good move.
Floor has a nice voice, still prefer Anette's. The last minute or so is pretty epic.

Edit: A few more listens and I love this now, fickle me laugh.gif Floor's voice is growing on me, it reminds me of Andrea Dätwyler from Lunatica.

This post has been edited by Regina: Feb 13 2015, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 27 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #4
Raining Shitter

There is no thread for the album so I'll just post this here. New track Shudder Before The Beautiful is out, very good, if very Cadence Of Her Last Breath.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 27 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 27 2015, 10:15 AM) *
There is no thread for the album so I'll just post this here. New track Shudder Before The Beautiful is out, very good, if very Cadence Of Her Last Breath.

This is now a thread for the album, thank you for reminding me! I had listened to Shudder Before The Beautiful and I think I like it better than 'Élan' (because that Dark Passion Play vibe is always what I want from Nightwish), I've just been saving myself for the album.

(I'll just post the tracklisting don't mind me, because I think it's a fabulous set of titles)

1. Shudder Before The Beautiful
2. Weak Fantasy
3. Élan
4. Yours Is An Empty Hope
5. Our Decades In The Sun
6. My Walden
7. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
8. Edema Ruh
9. Alpenglow
10. The Eyes Of Sharbat Guh
11. The Greatest Show On Earth (I. Four Point Six, II. Life, III. The Toolmaker, IV. The Understanding, V. Sea-Worn Driftwood)

(The Greatest Show On Earth is the obligatory long one, at 24 minutes that's going to be an EXPERIENCE)

*.*

Pre-ordered it on CD as well, it is a rare act I'll do that for..

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 27 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #6
Raining Shitter

24 minutes? drama.gif christ.

I must admit I am very much looking forward to this. Really think Floor could become my favourite lead singer of NW tbh, love her voice.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 30 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #7
Raining Shitter

Double post but IDGAF.

Incredible album, I've only listened once but I already prefer it to their last two. Floor combines the best bits of Tarja and Anette while still bringing something fresh to their sound.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 31 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

I've ordered it on CD so I haven't got it yet. I'm trying to find a good-quality stream of it online to tide me over but it's not on Spotify yet. sad.gif I kinda want my first listen of this to be special and not a low-quality Youtube upload (especially for the last track).

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 31 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #9
Raining Shitter

The Greatest Show On Earth is a mastepiece. I did think that being 24 minutes long would mean parts of it were dull and not needed, but no, it all flows so well and it
doesn't feel so long wub.gif

Top 10 in the mids too ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
spthoons
post Apr 4 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #10
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,726
   No Gallery Pics

Used to love a bit of Nightwish a few years back, haven't really heard anything since Dark Passion Play though. I became uninterested in the buildup to Imaginaerium as they were plugging it as the 'soundtrack' to the accompanying film which didn't really sound like my cup of tea. 'The Poet and the Pendulum' is up there as one of their best songs for me and I'm slightly worried that they'll not be able to match that with anything on their last two albums. Will have to give them a go soon.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 4 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(spthoons @ Apr 4 2015, 02:14 PM) *
Used to love a bit of Nightwish a few years back, haven't really heard anything since Dark Passion Play though. I became uninterested in the buildup to Imaginaerium as they were plugging it as the 'soundtrack' to the accompanying film which didn't really sound like my cup of tea. 'The Poet and the Pendulum' is up there as one of their best songs for me and I'm slightly worried that they'll not be able to match that with anything on their last two albums. Will have to give them a go soon.

Do! Imaginaerum is for the most part 'Dark Passion Play part 2', with the caveat that it veers into random genres a bit at times, very interesting album and only marginally a 'soundtrack' to any film, there's a sort of theme throughout the songs but it can easily be enjoyed apart from that. 'Song Of Myself' is a great successor to 'The Poet and the Pendulum' if even more self-indulgent with the time given to it and 'Storytime', 'Scaretale' and 'Rest Calm' amongst others have a similar great bombast to them. Not sure if there's anything to quite match TPATP but they give it a great go, it's one of my favourite albums of this decade so far.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful sounds rather good from what I've heard so far but I can't tell you yet whether it's worth investing in, I got it on CD and my laptop CD drive is currently kaput so I haven't been able to listen, but I am going to sort that tonight and start raving over it (hopefully) soon.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 4 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #12
Raining Shitter

Iz have you heard the b-side to Elan? *.*

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 4 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Apr 4 2015, 03:56 PM) *
Iz have you heard the b-side to Elan? *.*

Yes! <3 Another great song, and a lovely tribute to Carl Sagan.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 4 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #14
Raining Shitter

I think Sagan might become my fave song form the era <3 I am really getting into this album, I think I might prefer it to Hydra by WT ohmy.gif
What was Floor's previous band(s) like?

+Quote Post
spthoons
post Apr 4 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #15
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,726
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Apr 4 2015, 03:51 PM) *
Do! Imaginaerum is for the most part 'Dark Passion Play part 2', with the caveat that it veers into random genres a bit at times, very interesting album and only marginally a 'soundtrack' to any film, there's a sort of theme throughout the songs but it can easily be enjoyed apart from that. 'Song Of Myself' is a great successor to 'The Poet and the Pendulum' if even more self-indulgent with the time given to it and 'Storytime', 'Scaretale' and 'Rest Calm' amongst others have a similar great bombast to them. Not sure if there's anything to quite match TPATP but they give it a great go, it's one of my favourite albums of this decade so far.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful sounds rather good from what I've heard so far but I can't tell you yet whether it's worth investing in, I got it on CD and my laptop CD drive is currently kaput so I haven't been able to listen, but I am going to sort that tonight and start raving over it (hopefully) soon.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give Imaginaerum a go soon. And promising that you consider it one of your favourites of the decade!

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Apr 7 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

The Greatest Show On Earth *.* THERE ARE NO WORDS SUITABLE (especially for the spoken word segment)

I also really like the title track, Alpenglow and Yours Is An Empty Hope on first listen, sounds like another great album from them.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 7 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #17
Raining Shitter

The Alpenglow love *.* yasss.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 9 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Video for the title track as single #2. Lovely video, and just about still my favourite track on this album, it keeps getting challenged by Alpenglow though.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 9 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #19
Raining Shitter

3rd best for me, after Weak Fantasy and Sagan (even though it's a b-side) ao glad to see it getting some kind of push.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 10 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #20
Raining Shitter

Sorry for the double post but *.* @ the Alternate version of the song on the EP. SO GOOD. Better than the album version I think.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:53 PM