BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2018 WORLD CUP WILL BE IN ENGLAND
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JamesP
post 2nd December 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443

LOL JK Russia bought it.

Discuss.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 2nd December 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=152...152064031505961

cheer.gif

Idea for that page stolen from this thread kink.gif

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 2nd December 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Must the sour grapes prevail? People need to accept that we aren't the best at everything - and that the media in this country tries its best to f*** these things up for us. Russia (and Qatar) can promise FIFA a financially prosperous World Cup backed by oil money, and moreover a media that isn't ridiculously hostile to them to the point of accusing the voting panel of corruption the week before the vote!

+Quote this post
Alias
post 2nd December 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
chic c'est la vie
User: 46

It will be a bit lame, but nowhere near as bad as Qatar. I'm excited at the mere thought of an alcohol free tournament in 47 degree heat.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 2nd December 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #5
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(Alias @ Dec 2 2010, 04:30 PM) *
It will be a bit lame, but nowhere near as bad as Qatar. I'm excited at the mere thought of an alcohol free tournament in 47 degree heat.

The head of delegation has said alcohol will go on sale in special venues...

+Quote this post
Alias
post 2nd December 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
chic c'est la vie

QUOTE(Tyron @ Dec 2 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Must the sour grapes prevail? People need to accept that we aren't the best at everything - and that the media in this country tries its best to f*** these things up for us. Russia (and Qatar) can promise FIFA a financially prosperous World Cup backed by oil money, and moreover a media that isn't ridiculously hostile to them to the point of accusing the voting panel of corruption the week before the vote!

The fact we had the best bid (stadium wise and in terms of how much we deserve it - no world cup in 52 years now to the nation that invented it) yet we came last in the voting is a bit suspicious,no?!

+Quote this post
Alias
post 2nd December 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
chic c'est la vie

QUOTE(Tyron @ Dec 2 2010, 04:32 PM) *
The head of delegation has said alcohol will go on sale in special venues...

In 'special venues' ... Sounds like a riot!!!

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 2nd December 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #8
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(Alias @ Dec 2 2010, 04:33 PM) *
The fact we had the best bid (stadium wise and in terms of how much we deserve it - no world cup in 52 years now to the nation that invented it) yet we came last in the voting is a bit suspicious,no?!

I don't think you can put it in terms of 'deserving' it just because we haven't had it for 52 years when Russia haven't ever had it! I'd say it wasn't at all helped by The Times attacking several key members of the voting panel who were supposed to be our reliable voters and accusing them of corruption...

+Quote this post
Consie
post 2nd December 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Don't slap me, cuz I'm not in the mood
User: 303

QUOTE(Tyron @ Dec 2 2010, 11:29 AM) *

Of course the media in Qatar and Russia will be supportive, they're controlled by the state and heavily censored! Losing the World Cup is a small price to pay for having a free media...

The Olympics/World Cup is increasingly becoming a ostentatious event for the oligarchs and elites of (pseudo-)authoritarian countries to strut around. Let them have it, and the world's tallest skyscrapers, the 7-star hotels, and "world's most..." luxuries, etc. I rather enjoy my freedom of expression, participation, information, etc.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 2nd December 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

We were never going to get it when the Times, BBC and Mail behaved like they did, and when we don't (and won't) have a national stadium whose pitch can look decent after 5 games in relatively quick succession. Did we deserve it? Maybe. Were we going to get it? Not a chance. To be 4th is still a huge disappointment though!

+Quote this post
JamesP
post 2nd December 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443

QUOTE(Tyron @ Dec 2 2010, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 2 2010, 04:57 PM) *
We were never going to get it when the Times, BBC and Mail behaved like they did, and when we don't (and won't) have a national stadium whose pitch can look decent after 5 games in relatively quick succession. Did we deserve it? Maybe. Were we going to get it? Not a chance. To be 4th is still a huge disappointment though!

No no, don't get me wrong, I knew we were never ever going to get it and it's nothing to do with sour grapes in the slightest. It just seems to me a huge coincidence that the two richest (and notoriously most corrupt) nations are the ones who got it, even thought theyre the ones who are the most impractical to host it and given FIFAs history money exchanging hands wouldnt surprise me in the slightest. I wanted us to get it but I knew we never would, so thats not what I'm angry about, it's more the fact that FIFA's motto has proved itself today as "Money Talks, Bull$h!t walks."

+Quote this post
Alias
post 2nd December 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #12
Group icon
chic c'est la vie

QUOTE(JamesP @ Dec 2 2010, 05:14 PM) *
No no, don't get me wrong, I knew we were never ever going to get it and it's nothing to do with sour grapes in the slightest. It just seems to me a huge coincidence that the two richest (and notoriously most corrupt) nations are the ones who got it, even thought theyre the ones who are the most impractical to host it and given FIFAs history money exchanging hands wouldnt surprise me in the slightest. I wanted us to get it but I knew we never would, so thats not what I'm angry about, it's more the fact that FIFA's motto has proved itself today as "Money Talks, Bull$h!t walks."

USA and England are considerably richer than those two countries

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 2nd December 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

TWO VOTES laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 2nd December 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

FIFA has always liked the idea of spreading the game and 'leaving a legacy'. Russia has never hosted it before and for a country of that size and with some decent footballing history it is obviously deserved. Plus Russia can bring its stadia and and grassroots facilities up to 21st century standards. They were always the favourites

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 2nd December 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

Did we have the best bid? Yes. Spain/Portugal were the only other serious option (apparently thought their presentation was deathly dull) but then again FIFA aren't a serious organisation anymore. Russia is and will still be in eight years hideously impractical and soulless.

I also think Australia can feel just as bad as us given the strengh of their bid. I assumed they had 2022 in the bag, clearly money talks.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 2nd December 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(Severin @ Dec 2 2010, 05:32 PM) *
FIFA has always liked the idea of spreading the game and 'leaving a legacy'. Russia has never hosted it before and for a country of that size and with some decent footballing history it is obviously deserved. Plus Russia can bring its stadia and and grassroots facilities up to 21st century standards. They were always the favourites

After South Africa and Brazil, I think most people outside those voting realised that 2018 was not the time for a risky choice, which Russia most definitely is. Some decent footballing history? Maybe this would be acceptable somewhere like Japan/Korea where infrastructure and transport were already excellent, but Russia simply doesn't have that. What's changed since Moscow came last in the vote for the 2012 Olympics?

+Quote this post
Flatcap
post 2nd December 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Nah.
User: 27

Our bid has been rejected, perhaps that money can now be used to plug that oh so important national deficit? Pity about the waste of money we spent preparing the bid.

Why were we bidding for another tournament when we have the Olympics in 2012?

This whole 2018 bid seemed a bit pointless and extravagant in my opinion considering those two points.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 2nd December 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I knew Russia would get it going out in the first round was hilarious laugh.gif Quatar was a surprise for me getting it for 2022, its probably the size of Wales. Anyway we have the Olympics to look forward to in 2012.

I guess the only time England will get to host the game will be 2064 or 2068 when they celebrate 100 years of hosting it and winning it.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 2nd December 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #19
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Flatcap @ Dec 2 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Our bid has been rejected, perhaps that money can now be used to plug that oh so important national deficit? Pity about the waste of money we spent preparing the bid.

Why were we bidding for another tournament when we have the Olympics in 2012?

This whole 2018 bid seemed a bit pointless and extravagant in my opinion considering those two points.

I never really saw either of these points. It's 8 years away, there's a lot of time to reduce the deficit. Why do we need to spend much anyway? We already have a lot of world class stadiums, fantastic training facilities, good transport links (ok the actual transport itself could be better) and an adequate amount of accommadation. If there was a World Cup next year we could host it easily. If that bid wasn't good enough then I don't really see how we're ever going to win, we have everything already.

As for the Olympics, who is holding the next world cup in 2014? Brazil. Where is the 2016 Olympics? Rio. If they can do two years we can have six!

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 2nd December 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 2 2010, 06:16 PM) *
As for the Olympics, who is holding the next world cup in 2014? Brazil. Where is the 2016 Olympics? Rio. If they can do two years we can have six!

Also Russia host the winter olympics in 2016 World Cup 2018 = 2 years

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:45 AM