BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: 5 Seconds of Summer - The Singles Rate, i wish that i could wake up with amnesia (re. some of these results x)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Apr 11 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #1
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Kicking off very soon! *.*

A reminder of the songs:

She Looks So Perfect
Don't Stop
Amnesia
Good Girls
She's Kinda Hot
Hey Everybody!
Jet Black Heart
Want You Back
Youngblood
Valentine
Lie to Me (feat. Julia Michaels)
Easier
Teeth
No Shame
Old Me
Wildflower

Out of My Limit
What I Like About You
The Only Reason
Wherever You Are
Girls Talk Boys
Killer Queen
Who Do You Love (The Chainsmokers feat. 5 Seconds of Summer)

Thanks very much to all 18 of you who submitted a rate! clap.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 12 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #2
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

'Don't Stop' to win!

+Quote Post
Scene
post Apr 12 2020, 01:40 PM
Post #3
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

Youngblood / Amnesia / Girls Talk Boys for top 3.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Apr 12 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #4
nabad

21 - 23

21 Killer Queen

Average score: 5.88
Highest: 08.0 (Mack)
Lowest: 03.0 (George.keh, Jonjo, Jay)

22 The Only Reason

Average score: 5.60
Highest: 09.0 (Calum)
Lowest: 02.0 (SevenSeize)

23 Hey Everybody!

Average score: 5.29
Highest: 09.0 (Dexton)
Lowest: -1.0 (Scene)

Kicking off results with the trio of songs that have landed at the very bottom, and just outside of the top 20 too. Dead last is the second single from 5SOS' second album Sounds Good Feels Good - Hey Everybody!. It's a shame this isn't held in too high a regard, but it really is pretty basic by their standards, and a bit too much like they were on autopilot. I suppose following She's Kinda Hot you need to try and find another song that packs just as much of a punch, but it wouldn't have been much of a disappointment had they just skipped straight to releasing Jet Black Heart, or even something like Permanent Vacation or Safety Pin. The song flopped just a bit in their home country of Australia, peaking only at #70, while it also failed to reach the top 40 here in the UK, landing at #49.

The other two spots in this section are filled by The Only Reason, one of 5SOS' earlier songs and included on the She Looks So Perfect EP alongside more of their earlier music prior to their self-titled debut album, and Killer Queen - the boys' contribution to the soundtrack album for Bohemian Rhapsody, released in October 2018. Neither of these are among the band's best, but The Only Reason is a really cute, beautiful ballad that definitely deserves more loving, and Killer Queen, while very different for 5SOS and not something I'd have expected them to jump on, is... okay at best. Nothing spectacular but not exactly a song that'll make your ears bleed.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 12 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #5
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

AS IF why is everyone sleeping on Hey Everybody?

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Apr 12 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #6
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Can't complain about "Hey Everybody" coming last, it's one of the worst songs from the second album and very average when compared to the rest of their singles.

I didn't even know about the 5SOS cover of Queen before this rate mellow.gif (or those by Troye and Shawn)

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 12 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

WTH at 'Hey Everybody!' finishing dead last. WHAAAAT.

Their cover of 'Killer Queen' should have finished there. Vom.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Apr 19 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #8
nabad

16 - 20

16 She's Kinda Hot

Average score: 6.61
Highest: 10.0 (Calum, Dobbo)
Lowest: -1.0 (Hooker)

17 Old Me

Average score: 6.60
Highest: 10.0 (Riser)
Lowest: 03.0 (SevenSeize)

18 Out of My Limit

Average score: 6.20
Highest: 09.0 (George.keh)
Lowest: 03.0 (Scene)

19 Wherever You Are

Average score: 6.17
Highest: 10.0 (Calum)
Lowest: 02.0 (SevenSeize)

20 What I Like About You

Average score: 6.00
Highest: 07.5 (JosephStyles)
Lowest: 04.5 (George.keh)

Getting through a chunk of songs now, covering 16-20, and three songs just sneaking in within a 0.20 average score of one another are the trio of What I Like About You, Wherever You Are and Out of My Limit - unsurprisingly three of the earlier songs to be included in the rate. What I Like About You is a fan favourite that is performed live towards the end of their sets. It's not one that I'm massively keen on myself, but it gets everybody on their feet. Wherever You Are, a song they 'released' before becoming the big name they are now, is a beautiful ballad about missing somebody, thinking about them all the time, and wishing you were with them; wherever they are. It's one of their best songs, I think, but clearly not to Buzzjack as it's finished so low here. Out of My Limit is another song they were known for before hitting it big, and while it's a decent song it probably hasn't aged as well as some of their other songs from that point in time.

Probably most surprising in this section are both #17 and #16 - Old Me and She's Kinda Hot. Old Me, one of the newest songs taken from their fourth album CALM, is probably the least 'great' of the songs that we were gifted before the album was actually released, but it's still a decent song and it's reminiscent of the band's style prior to them shaking things up with their third album Youngblood. It didn't have many massive fans in this rate though, with only one person scoring it as high as 10.0, and some middling scores elsewhere. She's Kinda Hot, the lead single from their second album Sounds Good Feels Good, drops out before we even hit the top 15 though, and I'm shocked. Following on from a quintessentially pop debut era, the boys shook things up (just a little) with She's Kinda Hot, going for a much rockier vibe than previous singles (despite still retaining the magic of the likes of She Looks So Perfect, etc) - but with one person awarding the song a -1.0 in this rate, it was to be expected it'd take a hit. In terms of success though, the single didn't manage top 10 in the UK, with its highest positions being #6 in both their home country Australia, and Ireland.

+Quote Post
Scene
post Apr 19 2020, 12:56 PM
Post #9
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

No major losses so far. Good to see SKH falling out early and providing a shock. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 19 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #10
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'She's Kinda Hot' basically epitomises juvenile. Although it's okay.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 20 2020, 02:03 AM
Post #11
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Shame to see Old Me out already, it's really grown on me since the beginning of this rate!

She's Kinda Hot is really underrated tbh I remember being so gutted when it basically flopped in the UK

+Quote Post
Calum
post Apr 26 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #12
nabad

13 - 15

13 Who Do You Love

Average score: 7.13
Highest: 10.0 (Calum, JosephStyles)
Lowest: -1.0 (Tawdry Hepburn)

14 Good Girls

Average score: 7.03
Highest: 10.0 (Dexton, JosephStyles, Jahq)
Lowest: 05.0 (Scene, Liam.k., Jamie Barkley)

15 Valentine

Average score: 6.73
Highest: 10.0 (SamJudd)
Lowest: -1.0 (Calum)

Seems strange that Who Do You Love finishes a place higher than Good Girls despite receiving a -1.0 score and less 10.0's too, but with a lot more middling scores, I guess Good Girls isn't thought of as fondly. Either way, at least both songs managed to out-place the monstrosity that is Valentine. Released as the third single from the boys' third album Youngblood, Valentine was... a choice (to say the least). Even as an album track, for me, it's a very skippable moment and one that brings down the album. I get that Youngblood was showing off a brand new experimental style given the pop-rock we were accustomed to throughout their debut and sophomore eras, but Valentine is just a completely different kettle of fish. I guess the one positive to it being released as a single is that when it doesn't perform well, at least they brought themselves back to earth and released Lie to Me afterwards, aka one of the best from the album.

Good Girls and Who Do You Love both drop out before we reach the top 10 too. Given some of the scores Who Do You Love received, I wasn't sure it was going to manage to even sneak into the top 15, so it's outperformed my own expectations here. The song saw 5SOS collaborate with The Chainsmokers before embarking on a North American tour with them too, supporting their World War Joy project. I'd have loved that to have extended over the pond to the UK because The Chainsmokers have a lot of great songs, so having them and one of my favourite boybands 5SOS in one room on the same night would have been a blast. Who Do You Love has that great punchy chorus that you can sing along to, while still sounding completely fresh in terms of style for 5SOS, even if a little tired in terms of The Chainsmokers' output. Sandwiched between is Good Girls, the fourth single lifted from their self-titled debut era. I feel like that's a song that they... probably wouldn't get away with so lightly today with regards to its lyrics (and even the music video), but it's still a great song nonetheless. It packs the same punch She Looks So Perfect had, and coming after ballad Amnesia, it was the perfect way to close the era in terms of seeking commercial success.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 26 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #13
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Good Girls and Valentine are both great! Who Do You Love got old fast tbh

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Apr 26 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #14
#VoteGarden.Keh
Member No.: 32,047
   No Gallery Pics

I actually really liked Valentine and it was so much fun on their Meet You There tour! Think I would have picked Talk Fast or If Walls Could Talk as a single instead though

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Apr 26 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #15
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

She's Kinda Hot, Good Girls and Who Do You Love so low? mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Apr 26 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #16
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Who Do You Love' is truly woeful. Thank god that sort of music has now died out.

+Quote Post
Hooker
post Apr 27 2020, 01:40 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 9,274
   No Gallery Pics

Old Me - agree with an earlier post that this track is very much a grower, so disappointed but not surprised to see it ranked so low. It is probably the most competent song (if pedestrian) on CALM.

Who Do You Love - I like the pop sound on this and thought it suited 5SOS very well, but the 2014 Chainsmokers' signature sound is prominent here so I can see why some did not like it.

Good Girls - a highlight from their self-titled with a massive chorus but, like much of the first two albums, the pop punk sound has not aged well.

Valentine - one of the poppier songs on Youngblood so can see why it was chosen as a single, and while I enioy the track and like how different this is from their usual guitar-driven tracks, it is a bit of a sellout.

+Quote Post
Calum
post May 15 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #18
nabad

11 - 12

11 Teeth

Average score: 7.38
Highest: 11.0 (SevenSeize)
Lowest: 02.0 (Scene)

12 Lie to Me

Average score: 7.20
Highest: 10.0 (SamJudd, Calum, Hooker)
Lowest: 03.0 (ElectroBoy)

The first of two songs just missing out on the top 10 5SOS singles is Lie to Me, the fourth single to be taken from the boys' third album Youngblood. The album version of this is just the boys on their own, while the version pushed more commercially included a feature from Julia Michaels (despite the official video being the solo version x). Lie to Me ended up performing pretty poorly in terms of the charts - it only just managed to sneak inside the top 100 in the UK, reaching a peak of #99, however it did manage to peak a lot higher elsewhere in the world. It's only here our lack of taste shows so monumentally, clearly. Lie to Me is probably my favourite song from Youngblood - it's chilled out, more typical 5SOS than other songs on the album, but it's such a beautiful track with lyrics to match. It was great when they finally announced this would be a single from the album, because following on from Valentine things could only get better, really.

Just ahead of Lie to Me outside the top 10 at #11 is Teeth, the second single to be released from 5SOS' most recent album CALM. Although it was released quite a while ago now considering CALM was only released in March this year, it does still feel at home on the album; their most personal to date. Teeth marked a vast change in style from the band's early days in their self-titled and Sounds Good Feels Good era, but felt like a very natural continuation (and step up!) from Youngblood, building on their new sound. Teeth, while obviously not the most popular song in this rate, also managed to pick up an 11.0 too - sadly the song with an 11.0 score that finishes lowest! As well as also being included on the soundtrack for the third season of Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, Teeth also managed to peak a little more comfortably inside the top 100 in the UK at #46, but still failing to impact the elusive top 40. What will it take for 5SOS to get a guaranteed hit again?

+Quote Post
Hooker
post May 15 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 9,274
   No Gallery Pics

'Beautiful' is the definitely a great adjective to describe Lie to Me. It's such an easy listen, one of those rare songs you can listen in both happy and sad moods. It's probably in my 5SOS all-time top three and most-listened to track from Youngblood, so very disappointing to learn that it's not widely-loved.

+Quote Post
Calum
post May 15 2020, 10:59 PM
Post #20
nabad

QUOTE(Hooker @ May 15 2020, 06:58 PM) *
'Beautiful' is the definitely a great adjective to describe Lie to Me. It's such an easy listen, one of those rare songs you can listen in both happy and sad moods. It's probably in my 5SOS all-time top three and most-listened to track from Youngblood, so very disappointing to learn that it's not widely-loved.

Same here, it's definitely up there among my absolute favourite 5SOS songs wub.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:58 AM