BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calum's Top 40 One Direction Songs, + top 20 solo songs!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Jul 10 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #1
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Having gone back and listened to 1D's discography a fair bit recently, I've managed to whittle everything down to a top 40 (as well as compiling a top 20 of solo songs between all five boys!)

Countdown starting soon! *.*

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 10 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #2
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Hype ohmy.gif ready for questionable taste x

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 10 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #3
nabad

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jul 10 2019, 07:00 PM) *
Hype ohmy.gif ready for questionable taste x

Rude xx

Will start with the top 20 solo songs ohmy.gif (and this will include songs they’ve featured on as solo artists)

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 12 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #4
nabad

16 Harry Styles - Ever Since New York
17 ZAYN - Still Got Time
18 ZAYN & Zhavia Ward - A Whole New World
19 Louis Tomlinson - Two of Us
20 Liam Payne - Slow

Kicking off the top 20 solo songs we have a song from Liam's First Time EP. This is probably the only song that I'd go back to on the EP given the rest was pretty terrible (the title track featuring French Montana included). It's nice to hear a more pop-orientated Liam given most of his solo music to date has been a poor, cringe-worthy attempt at R&B.

At #19 we have the latest single to be released by Louis Tomlinson. I wasn't all that bothered by this to begin with, but given the circumstances around the time of its release, I started to listen to it more and you can really feel the emotion in the song making it probably one of his best to date. Hopefully there's more like this to come on his album.

Double trouble at #18 and #17 as Zayn features with both his and Zhavia Ward's soundtrack single for the live-action version of Aladdin, as well as standalone single Still Got Time. The former is a brilliant take on a classic Disney song and while it certainly isn't miles better than the original it puts up a good fight and Zayn and Zhavia's vocals work so well together. Still Got Time is a cute bop and I'm surprised it never made it onto Icarus Falls considering some of the songs that did (I'm looking at you Sour Diesel, Let Me, Entertainer, Too Much, etc).

Finally, finishing this set at #16 we have Ever Since New York, an album track taken from Harry's debut album. Besides Sign of the Times, this and Two Ghosts are probably the only songs that I'd go back to out of choice from the album, eek. This was such a treat to hear live too, and while it's nothing groundbreaking it's a lovely song that's certainly a contrast to most of Harry's other solo material.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 12 2019, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Ever Since New York is one of my favourite Harry songs wub.gif!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 12 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #6
nabad

11 Niall Horan - Slow Hands
12 ZAYN & Taylor Swift - I Don’t Wanna Live Forever
13 ZAYN - Good Years
14 Louis Tomlinson feat. Bebe Rexha & Digital Farm Animals - Back to You
15 ZAYN - Back to Life

In at #15 we have Back to Life, an album track from Zayn's second album Icarus Falls. On an album of 27 songs, it's difficult to narrow my favourites down to just a select few, but Back to Life is definitely one of the strongest offerings from the parts of the album that we hadn't already heard.

Next up we have Louis' highest placing song here (sorry hun) - his collaboration with Digital Farm Animals and international country sensation Bebe Rexha on Back to You! I don't think anybody would dispute that this is the best of what he's released so far. It's exactly the type of music I think Louis should be releasing so another bop that goes off like this would be very welcome.

*pretends to be shocked* we have another double Zayn feature here and this time it's an album track from Icarus Falls and his collaboration with Taylor Swift for the film Fifty Shades Darker. The former is a beautiful track and probably one of his best ballads. His vocals are insane and the lyrics hold such a powerful message. I Don't Wanna Live Forever, meanwhile, showcases just how fantastic Zayn can be, and both he and Taylor go perfectly together (both vocally and physically in the video). Another collab from them would be a dream.

Finally, just missing out on the top 10 we have Niall's single Slow Hands. I wasn't a massive fan of this to begin with, but over time it started to get my attention. It's still not the best Niall's done (spoiler alert), but anything's better than This Town at the end of the day.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 12 2019, 09:07 PM
Post #7

Back to You *.* too much Zayn tho x

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 12 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #8
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Back To Life <3 Here for a top 10 of ZAYN tbh. Easily the one with the best solo material wub.gif

Slow Hands is nice too of the others x

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 13 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #9
nabad

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jul 12 2019, 10:07 PM) *
Back to You *.* too much Zayn tho x

there can never be too much Zayn xx

QUOTE(HausofTove @ Jul 12 2019, 10:11 PM) *
Back To Life <3 Here for a top 10 of ZAYN tbh. Easily the one with the best solo material wub.gif

Slow Hands is nice too of the others x

Agreed wub.gif And we'll just have to see about that kink.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 13 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #10
nabad

09 Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You
10 ZAYN - LIKE I WOULD

Kicking off the top 10 we have Zayn's single from Mind of Mine, LIKE I WOULD. This seems to get a bit of a bad rep nowadays, but I still absolutely LOVE it. Like much of what came out of the debut album, it still showcases a more pop-orientated side of Zayn and I think he managed to do it brilliantly! The video is fantastic too, so all the ingredients are there for something amazing. Shame the GP don't seem to agree. sad.gif #justice4zayn

At #9 we have another Fifty Shades collaboration, but this time for the third film Freed. Liam collaborated with Rita Ora and the end result was the absolutely incredible For You - definitely the best thing he's done to date I'm sure a lot of people will agree. While Liam wasn't present at my Glasgow date on Rita Ora's recent Phoenix Tour, the song went OFF and was an incredible way to open the show. Their vocals go great together and the video's another great one too!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 14 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #11

For You is by far Liam's best song heart.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 17 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #12
nabad

06 Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
07 ZAYN feat. Kehlani - wRoNg
08 Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

Three excellent songs up next, and just narrowly missing out on the top 5 (the order of these would probably change if I did this again x). First up at #8 is Harry's debut single Sign of the Times. This definitely isn't what I was expecting from Harry before we heard it, but it's turned out to be one of the best of the boys' solo material combined. The video is fantastic, and it was such a pleasure to hear it live. Such an incredible moment.

At #7 is one of the album tracks from Zayn's debut Mind of Mine - with Kehlani featuring, wRoNg is such a great track. Their voices blend together perfectly for a track that you can sit and silently bop along to that gives you ~mystique~ vibes. And closing off the section at #6 we have Niall's ballad single Too Much to Ask. Spoiler alert: this is the last time he features in the countdown as a solo artist, so for me, this is by far and away his best song. Slow Hands was great, then we got THIS. Simply beautiful and showcases the best of Niall's abilities I think. More of this on the second album please.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 19 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #13

Only #8? cancelled x

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 21 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #14
nabad

04 Snakehips feat. ZAYN - Cruel
05 ZAYN - PILLOWTALK

At #5 we have Zayn's debut single as a solo artist - PILLOWTALK. When this was released, you really couldn't have asked for a better debut single. It's pretty much perfection and was a brilliant way for him to kickstart his career away from the group. While the video certainly has its stranger moments (all the ~flower action~), it's worth it to see Zayn getting more air-time in three minutes than he got in some 1D music videos towards the end x

Just pipping PILLOWTALK to #4 is the cruelly (no pun intended) underrated Cruel, a song by Snakehips featuring our very own Zayn. This is 100% one of the best things he's put his name to and I don't know why more people don't love it. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Sep 7 2019, 03:44 AM
Post #15
nabad

01 ZAYN - There You Are
02 ZAYN feat. Sia - Dusk Till Dawn
03 ZAYN - fOoL fOr YoU

Finishing in the bronze position we have one of the album tracks from Mind of Mine, fOoL fOr YoU. This was instantly one of my favourites when I first listened to the album, and it remains my favourite by a country mile from Zayn's debut album. It's a beautiful ballad that showcases some of his best vocal ability, while bringing out all the emotions inside me. Idk if anybody else would feel the same way, but whenever I'm a bit down or just feel like listening to music to cry to, this is one of my go-to songs. laugh.gif

In second place we have Dusk Till Dawn - what we thought could've been the song to propel Zayn's second era to massive heights. Alas it was not to be and his feature with Sia ended up being a random one-off single not attached to any era. Undoubtedly though, it's one of his absolute best songs and the video delivered *.*

That means we now end up with the winner... THERE YOU ARE! The biggest missed opportunity from the Icarus Falls era - and maybe from Zayn's career as a solo artist? There You Are was never given single treatment, but it's undeniably THE best song from his second album, and one that probably could have done decently if it were given a push. Unlike the pre-album material we did get, this would've kept his name alive and maybe interested a lot more people in the whopping 27-track LP. kink.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Sep 7 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #16

A good top 2 there tbf!!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 25 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #17
nabad

5 months since this started and I think I should finally finish it magic.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 25 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #18
nabad

31 Gotta Be You
32 Right Now
33 Midnight Memories
34 Last First Kiss
35 Heart Attack
36 One Thing
37 Stockholm Syndrome
38 Steal My Girl
39 One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)
40 Up All Night

Titular album track Up All Night is 40th, while One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks), the boys' charity single for Comic Relief, is the lowest ranking single of theirs in the countdown! Steal My Girl doesn't fare much better - one of their only singles that I really just don't get the fuss over at all! It has a stellar video, but wasted on a song that doesn't quite match it. One Thing, Midnight Memories and Gotta Be You also show up in the lower half of the countdown - all three amazing at the time, but haven't aged quite as well as some others (I stand by Gotta Be You x). Then we have album track galore - Last First Kiss and Heart Attack, both from Take Me Home, sneak in - the former being a really great ballad and the latter being such a fun, up-tempo track that Zayn sounds delicious on! Right Now, from their third album, is another lovely ballad, even if it gets a little lost by the time you make your way to the mid-section of the album.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 27 2019, 01:41 AM
Post #19
nabad

21 I Wish
22 You & I
23 Fool's Gold
24 Change My Mind
25 I Would
26 Tell Me a Lie
27 History
28 Kiss You
29 Illusion
30 Taken

Into the top 30 now and we say goodbye to another three singles - Kiss You, History and You & I. Kiss You is very hit and miss for me. Sometimes I love it and other times I just really can't be bothered with it. Considering how strong an album Take Me Home is on the whole, it probably wouldn't rank among my favourites from that. History is far from One Direction's best single, but as a farewell single I think it works extremely well and makes you feel all the feels when you look back on what the group achieved in the time they were together. You & I remains one of the best ballads One Direction have released, and definitely among my highlights from Midnight Memories! We'll never forget Zayn in the video looking like an absolute SNACK.
We have more album tracks from across their discography here too - from beautiful ballad on Up All Night, Taken, to bonus track Illusion which is so *.*. Tell Me a Lie, which couldn't any more obviously be a Kelly Clarkson reject that worked so incredibly well for them, sneaks into the top 30, while ballads Change My Mind and Fool's Gold also appear - the latter being a definite highlight from FOUR. I Would and I Wish also finish quite high - one being an incredible up-tempo song that is so feel-good; the other being a really stunning ballad Harry sounds lush on!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 27 2019, 01:49 AM
Post #20
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I agree that 'You & I' is a really strong ballad in One Direction's repertoire, in fact it's still my overall favourite song of theirs wub.gif

I also enjoy 'Stockholm Syndrome', 'Kiss You', 'Midnight Memories' + 'Steal My Girl' quite a bit from those sections!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:08 AM