BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Leon estimated to do 350k
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Santa Mark
post 19th December 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Leon set for Christmas number one
Source: bbc.co.uk

X Factor winner Leon Jackson is on track to score this year's Christmas number one single.
The 18-year-old Scot is currently number one in the mid-week chart with his debut track, When You Believe, according to industry paper Music Week.

Katie Melua and the late Eva Cassidy are set to be number two spot with What A Wonderful World, while Leona Lewis's Bleeding Love is in third place.

The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York has also seen a sales surge this week.

HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo told the BBC that download sales for the 1987 track had increased following Radio 1's decision to censor its lyrics.

'Momentum'

"It's one of those songs where, as people realise it's available to buy, they'll pick up on it and start downloading which is why momentum is growing for it," he said.

"It's not enough to beat the X Factor winner, but probably enough to propel it into the top three."

Radio 1 initially bleeped out the word "faggot" from the duet between Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan and the late Kirsty MacColl in case it offended listeners but changed its mind after complaints.

Castaldo added that it did not seem that Leon's song would sell as well as last year's Christmas number one by previous X Factor winner, Leona Lewis.

"It won't be quite as phenomenal as Leona," he said. "She sold 500,000 copies in four days.

"But he's still selling three to four times the amount of his closest rival."

Daniel Himsworth, a spokesman for Woolworths, said that copies of Leon's single were selling at the rate of 40-per-minute at the chain.

"There are definitely no challengers. If it continues this way he'll sell 350,000 in a week," he said.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Joey Deacon
post 19th December 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 306

YAWN.................. mellow.gif

The xmas battle number one is dead now i'm afraid mellow.gif

+Quote this post
designer_label
post 19th December 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
My name is...Craigy
User: 4,111

Is it just me or gosh is this xmas BORING? - Katie Melua/Leon/Pogues

+Quote this post
russt68
post 19th December 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 213

QUOTE(designer_label @ Dec 19 2007, 07:30 PM) *
Is it just me or gosh is this xmas BORING? - Katie Melua/Leon/Pogues

how can you include The Pogues in that list and call it boring? Please..... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Jack89
post 19th December 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Eurovision Chat
User: 84

QUOTE(russt68 @ Dec 19 2007, 07:33 PM) *
how can you include The Pogues in that list and call it boring? Please..... rolleyes.gif

Maybe he mean't that because it isn't a new song and it's around every year in the charts?

+Quote this post
designer_label
Post #6
Group icon
My name is...Craigy

I HATE the pogues song!

+Quote this post
Josh
Post #7
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43

The Pogues is one of the ultimate xmas classics, I'd rather have that then Leon at #1.

+Quote this post
designer_label
post 19th December 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
My name is...Craigy

QUOTE(Jack89 @ Dec 19 2007, 07:35 PM) *
Maybe he mean't that because it isn't a new song and it's around every year in the charts?

exactly - hardly exciting when its been around for years and years and years and years and years

+Quote this post
Santa Mark
post 19th December 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #9

It does seem that hardly any effort has been made in releasing xmas singles this year...
probably because of the X-Factor ruining any race for the top spot.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 19th December 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

QUOTE(designer_label @ Dec 19 2007, 07:35 PM) *
I HATE the pogues song!

manson.gif

And why does that make it boring? Katie Melua? Yes. The Pogues? No. 'Biology' by Girls Aloud is about my worst song of the decade but under no circumstances would I call it BORING!

+Quote this post
russt68
post 19th December 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 19 2007, 08:03 PM) *
manson.gif

And why does that make it boring? Katie Melua? Yes. The Pogues? No. 'Biology' by Girls Aloud is about my worst song of the decade but under no circumstances would I call it BORING!

quite thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
superbossanova
post 19th December 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 50

QUOTE(Santa Mark @ Dec 19 2007, 07:52 PM) *
It does seem that hardly any effort has been made in releasing xmas singles this year...
probably because of the X-Factor ruining any race for the top spot.

Yeah, it seems like most acts just accept that they can't win so don't bother. This christmas chart has to be the most dullest ever, if it wasn't for the christmas songs than I would completely lose all interest. sad.gif

+Quote this post
jark
post 19th December 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #13
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

QUOTE(russt68 @ Dec 19 2007, 07:33 PM) *

Oh, please. Absolutely everybody I've spoken to is sick to the back teeth of that bloody song. Good originally? Yes. Good now, after thousands of rotations year-in-year-out on radio? Ermm, no. It's tedious now.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 19th December 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #14
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Jark @ Dec 19 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Oh, please. Absolutely everybody I've spoken to is sick to the back teeth of that bloody song. Good originally? Yes. Good now, after thousands of rotations year-in-year-out on radio? Ermm, no. It's tedious now.

laugh.gif

If EVERYONE is so sick to the back teeth of it why has it been a top 10 hit for three christmas running and constantly gets praise for being one of the greatest songs ever.

I'm certainly not bored of it, could listen to it all year..

+Quote this post
jark
post 19th December 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 19 2007, 08:45 PM) *
laugh.gif

If EVERYONE is so sick to the back teeth of it why has it been a top 10 hit for three christmas running and constantly gets praise for being one of the greatest songs ever.

Well good for you, but I couldn't. And was everyone on here not full of hatred for Sean Kingston? I rather think that was #1... tongue.gif

+Quote this post
russt68
post 19th December 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 19 2007, 08:45 PM) *
laugh.gif

same here - it's THE Christmas song, really, isn't it? And if the song being massive again highlights the still-ongoing Justice For Kirsty campaign - then it's all good by me. The guy who murdered her still evades justice in Cuba - and it's a disgrace.

To call Fairytale of New York tedious - hilarious, really hilarious - I can think of 9 other songs in this weeks' top 10 I'd call 'tedious' - but tedium is something The Pogues could never, ever be accused of inspiring. Plus I've not spoken to a single person who's sick to the back teeth of it - quite the contrary, everyone I've spoken to is buying it again in a (sadly) vain attempt to prevent that shoddy little XFactor single getting to number one.... in fact, 3 other music messageboards I've visited today alone are all campaigning for people to buy the single again for this very reason cheer.gif

+Quote this post
russt68
post 19th December 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jark @ Dec 19 2007, 08:47 PM) *
everyone on here not full of hatred for Sean Kingston? I rather think that was #1... tongue.gif

but Jark - 'everyone on here' are hardly choosy or a fair representation of the record buying public - if it aint cheesy, female and camp - it's almost a foregone conclusion (many) Buzzjack members won't 'get' it.... dry.gif

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 19th December 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Jark @ Dec 19 2007, 08:47 PM) *
Well good for you, but I couldn't. And was everyone on here not full of hatred for Sean Kingston? I rather think that was #1... tongue.gif

Do you not know people in real life then?

This site is far from the tastes of the general public! If you're not female, no matter how successful you are you're not going to be as popular as some flop American teen star on here!

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 19th December 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

QUOTE(russt68 @ Dec 19 2007, 08:51 PM) *
same here - it's THE Christmas song, really, isn't it? And if the song being massive again highlights the still-ongoing Justice For Kirsty campaign - then it's all good by me. The guy who murdered her still evades justice in Cuba - and it's a disgrace.

To call Fairytale of New York tedious - hilarious, really hilarious - I can think of 9 other songs in this weeks' top 10 I'd call 'tedious' - but tedium is something The Pogues could never, ever be accused of inspiring. Plus I've not spoken to a single person who's sick to the back teeth of it - quite the contrary, everyone I've spoken to is buying it again in a (sadly) vain attempt to prevent that shoddy little XFactor single getting to number one.... in fact, 3 other music messageboards I've visited today alone are all campaigning for people to buy the single again for this very reason cheer.gif

I totally agree. The Pogues ft Kirsty MacColl track will be the best record in the Top40 countdown on Sunday. Plus, if it is that bad, then why has it overtaken Mariah Carey in this week's midweeks? answer: Because it is a proper Christmas song. Not that the middle class University educated idiots on Radio 1 who decided to edit out the word faggot because they thought it was referring to to an offensive American slang for male homosexuals, when any one from a working class background, listens to the lyrics of the actual song, knows the context that the song was written from, or actually watched one of their own BBC documentary's about the making of the song would know from it's lyricist Shane MacGowan, the faggot referred to the popular traditional food dish made of meat balls with sauce which was increasingly popular during times of poverty & recession.

Yet they choose to A-Playlist the vile, lyrically repulsive Soulja Boy track Crank That!

+Quote this post
jark
post 19th December 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon

All I'm saying is a lot of the people I speak to are sick of it, and a LOT of other people seem to rave about it just for the sake of it; just because it's cool to rave about such a classic. I'm not denying it's a classic, and I do really like the song, but it's been played to absolute death. And then back again.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:25 AM