BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Shawn Mendes: The Singles Rate 2020 Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Mar 23 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Welcome to the Shawn Mendes Singles Rate 2020 RESULTS! You've all voted, and now it's time to count down each of the singles from bottom to top (kink.gif), least favourite to absolute favourite!

What should win? What should come last? What will exceed expectations? What will end up lower than anticipated?

HYPE PLEASE!

A reminder of the singles you've all been rating:

Life of the Party
Something Big
Stitches
I Know What You Did Last Summer (with Camila Cabello)
Treat You Better
Mercy
There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
In My Blood
Lost in Japan (Remix) [with Zedd]
Nervous
Youth (feat. Khalid)
If I Can't Have You
Señorita (with Camila Cabello)
Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart) [The Vamps feat. Shawn Mendes]
Lover (Remix) [Taylor Swift feat. Shawn Mendes]
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Mar 24 2020, 12:58 AM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
Expecting Oh Cecilia to be far too low x

+Quote this post
Riser
post Mar 24 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Stitches was robbed! (Since it inevitably will be x)

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Mar 24 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
Treat You Better ftw

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Mar 26 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Predict that 'Cecilia' will probably drop first or maybe 'Life of the Party'

'There's Nothin' Holding Me Back' to WIN...

+Quote this post
Calum
post Mar 26 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
nabad
First result coming very soon ohmy.gif

Wonder whose predictions will turn out to be right... cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Mar 28 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
nabad

Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart)

Highest score: 10.0 (JosephStyles)
Lowest score: 00.0 (SamJudd)

Back while Shawn was still establishing himself as an artist way back in 2014, one of his earliest features was on The Vamps' single Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart), taken from their debut album Meet The Vamps. The Vamps had built up quite the reputation throughout their debut era of being able to bring on board superstars to feature on their already incredible songs. Demi Lovato featured on their third single Somebody to You, and following suit with their fifth single it was this with Shawn. While Shawn's feature on the song isn't exactly essential (it doesn't really add or take away anything from the song to make it any better/worse), it's cute at most and a great way for both artists to bounce off each other's success within their respective fanbases. Obviously six years down the line the song isn't exactly high up in everybody's affections with only Joseph scoring the song highly (10.0). Most other scores range between the 00.0-06.5 region. Not a surprising start to the results then, but with all but one of the songs remaining being songs where Shawn's credited as the main artist, this is where the competition really begins!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Mar 28 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

Something Big

Highest score: 08.5 (JosephStyles)
Lowest score: 02.0 (Nick F1)

We love a blurry thumbnail. Step back in time to 2014, and Shawn's releasing Something Big after kicking off the campaign for his debut album Handwritten with Life of the Party. Since the song pre-dates Stitches, its chart performance globally leaves a lot to be desired. Still building his name in both the US and the UK, the song peaked at #80 in the US Billboard Hot 100 and outside the top 100 at #109 in the UK. It fared better in Scotland though, reaching #52, so at least we know to stan a king early on in his career. Something Big, to me, definitely isn't among Shawn's strongest singles so it's no shock at all to see it finish just ahead of Oh Cecilia. Surprisingly though, it's over a whole 01.0 ahead in terms of scores, with most who rated treating it considerably better (pardon the pun). While not one of his most iconic singles, it's still a lovely tune that gives us an insight into the type of artist he was establishing himself as during Handwritten. Even with the title 'Something Big' which certainly leaves a lot to the imagination (kink.gif), it's a perfectly fine up-tempo slice of twink-pop brilliance. Also not as iconic as most that have come after it, the music video is light and cheery, and follows some of its predecessors with the theme of having a mass-gathering of people wandering through the streets with him as he sings his heart out.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Mar 29 2020, 07:39 AM
Post #9
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
The correct bottom 2, as far as I'm concerned! Both are ok, but he has far better cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Mar 29 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad
Agreed, they're probably the only two I'm not sad about seeing finish at the bottom, oops

Everything else left is proper amazing wub.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post Mar 30 2020, 12:22 AM
Post #11
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
'Something Big' sounded pretty good at the time, but he's outdone it with pretty much every single since then, so it hasn't aged well.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Mar 30 2020, 02:06 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Predict that 'Life Of The Party' to drop next. 'Something Big' is a nice upbeat little song & just an easy listen along with 'LOTP', which are both okay but its 'Stitches' is where he really finds his footing & make him an global superstar he is today.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 30 2020, 02:07 AM

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 2 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(SamJudd @ Mar 30 2020, 03:06 AM) *
Predict that 'Life Of The Party' to drop next.

Mystic Meg is among us, people ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 2 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #14
Group icon
nabad

Life of the Party

Highest score: 09.0 (Calum)
Lowest score: 02.0 (Nick F1)

Up next, as predicted earlier in the thread, Life of the Party drops out of the race with an average score just 0.25 higher than Something Big! People really aren't keen (or do they just not go back to them or remember them much?) on the singles from the Handwritten era, are they? It's a shame because, for me, Life of the Party is easily one of Shawn's strongest singles. It's a very underrated, beautiful track that really showcases his vocals, in the same vein as a lot of the ballads we're now hearing on Shawn Mendes: The Album. The song was his first solo single release, and while it never got an official music video, we did get a lyric video that kinda acts as both - it has some recorded material of Shawn himself, and also has the lyrics popping up as standard. It would still be great to have a proper video though - even just Shawn sat at a piano singing his heart out would suffice. Despite not finishing high at all, Life of the Party is one of those songs that when you hear it on tour and see just how much it means to Shawn, and how much of his soul he pours into performing it, it goes OFF. It's a stunning moment that you just need to experience. In terms of the charts, Life of the Party didn't exactly do much in the UK, peaking at #99, while it did manage to go top 10 in Canada - his home country - reaching a peak of #9. Perhaps most surprising though, its highest peak is in New Zealand where it managed to get to #6! NZ fans have all the taste ~

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 3 2020, 01:18 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Oh Cecilia done dirty as EXPECTED

Something Big is better than that too and I feel it'd be more well-regarded if it were a hit...! There's a few songs which should be out over these three I think.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Apr 3 2020, 03:24 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Next one out will either be 'Lover' or 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Apr 3 2020, 08:41 AM
Post #17
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Yep I’d like to see I Know What You Did Last Summer out next, please!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 3 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 3 2020, 09:41 AM) *

omg THIS!!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 4 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(SamJudd @ Apr 3 2020, 04:24 AM) *
Next one out will either be 'Lover' or 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Apr 3 2020, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Apr 3 2020, 03:02 PM) *
omg THIS!!

okay Psychic Sallies, tell me what's coming after this then ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 4 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #20
Group icon
nabad

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Highest score: 10.0 (George.keh)
Lowest score: 00.0 (Nick F1)

If only we all knew when this was released what was to come from Shawn and Camila Cabello in the future, both in terms of musical collaborations and their personal life together, eh? Finishing with an average score just 0.05 (!) ahead of Life of the Party - a result which definitely should be switched tbh - is the first collaboration of two (so far) between Shawn and his now-girlfriend and ex-Fifth Harmony member Camila. The fanbase fell in love with it when it happened, and sure it's still a great collaboration, but when you look back on it now it's definitely not the strongest from either artist, and not solid proof of what they're capable of in a duet together, as we've now seen with the far-superior Señorita which dominated the charts in 2019. Despite that, it was a great way to introduce us to a power duo that can surely give us hit after hit if they continue to work on music together. Still in the early days of both of their musical careers, the video for this is definitely more 'we have no idea what we're doing, this is what we're being told to do', but there's no denying the chemistry between the two of them is there from the offset too. In terms of chart success, I Know What You Did Last Summer failed to crack the top 40 in the UK, peaking just outside at #42. New Zealand sure have their stan hats on for Shawn though, as the song became a #1 there. Other countries where it managed to go top 10 include Hungary, Greece, and the US (mainstream top 40 and digital song sales).

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM