BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Russia · Eurovision Song Contest 2017, Withdrew from participating on April 13th
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
p a v
post 13th April 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #121
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(ScottyEm @ Apr 13 2017, 11:04 PM) *
I've anticipated Belarus in bottom three in the final. It's messy and dirgey with no major hook to latch on to, I don't know what you guys are hearing that I'm not! Not singing in English isnt an advantage either (I'm aware Italy will likely win, btw, so. Slight contradiction but still...).

And this logic is why we are losing soul and traditional elements in Eurovision more each year. sad.gif

Singing in the native language makes it so much more likeable and likely to succeed really since, believe it or not, the majority of people watching the contest don't speak English. At least not well enough to get the meaning of the song. Also sometimes you can tell if someone's performance feels forced because of the difficulty to tell the story using translated lyrics.

There's no contradiction at all there btw because the language isn't a make or break factor in the slightest.

MAKE EUROVISION MULTILINGUAL AGAIN~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 13th April 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #122
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

QUOTE(Catderella @ Apr 13 2017, 09:44 PM) *
And this logic is why we are losing soul and traditional elements in Eurovision more each year. sad.gif

Singing in the native language makes it so much more likeable and likely to succeed really since, believe it or not, the majority of people watching the contest don't speak English. At least not well enough to get the meaning of the song. Also sometimes you can tell if someone's performance feels forced because of the difficulty to tell the story using translated lyrics.

There's no contradiction at all there btw because the language isn't a make or break factor in the slightest.

MAKE EUROVISION MULTILINGUAL AGAIN~

I'm putting my opinions about the song to one side on this. I don't see how singing in a language which is only fully or partially recognised in 4 other countries makes it likeable? English is a second language in the majority of EU countries. I agree you could argue that is may seem the contest is becoming homogenised, but the bottom line is that entries want to win (I don't put the UK in this category, we just want to yield sufficient to viewers) so why not sing in a universally understood language.

If it qualifies, then egg on my face. But I don't see it even coming close.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 13th April 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #123
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Just the idea that the song with the highest tempo of all this year's songs is 'dirgey' and that it doesn't have a hook when I'm struggling to think of a song this year with a hook that is more catchy or universal.

I literally can't even.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 13th April 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #124
Group icon

QUOTE(ScottyEm @ Apr 14 2017, 12:04 AM) *
I'm putting my opinions about the song to one side on this. I don't see how singing in a language which is only fully or partially recognised in 4 other countries makes it likeable? English is a second language in the majority of EU countries. I agree you could argue that is may seem the contest is becoming homogenised, but the bottom line is that entries want to win (I don't put the UK in this category, we just want to yield sufficient to viewers) so why not sing in a universally understood language.

If it qualifies, then egg on my face. But I don't see it even coming close.

I am not saying it's likeable because being Russian and all I can understand some of the lyrics, but it has special charm to it in this form which I am very much attributing to the language among other things.

Of course entries want to win. But how hard is it to try to appeal to the lowest common denominator yet still bringing something special to the entry which no other country or person can? How many people like or even remember Believe from 2008? Or that Azerbaijan song that won? (I genuinely can't recall the name)

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 13th April 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #125
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

I've heard the Belarus song on several occasions and can't recite the melody. Anyway it's an opinion, happy to be surprised and see how it translates on the night. It just feels very niche and not in a way that will resonate (like potentially Portugal).

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 13th April 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #126
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I think Belarus could sadly miss, but I'd have them as pretty borderline, 11th or 12th if the do DNQ. Malta, Ireland, San Marino, Croatia, Lithuania and Austria are the six I think will do worse than Belarus, could perhaps add Switzerland and then it depends how remembered Serbia and Macedonia are from the early draws

QUOTE(Iz♀ @ Apr 13 2017, 09:17 PM) *
Bye bye Russia, see you in 2018... apparently with Julia back. Not sure I buy that.

Whatever happened to that rule where you had to broadcast the contest, to be able to participate the following year? I'm sure it used to be a rule but I'm also not convinced it's been stuck to. Good riddance for this year at least

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ Apr 13 2017, 10:05 PM) *
Just the idea that the song with the highest tempo of all this year's songs is 'dirgey' and that it doesn't have a hook when I'm struggling to think of a song this year with a hook that is more catchy or universal.

Has anyone worked out the song with the highest tempo of every Eurovision of the past few years (and what kind of record they have when it comes to qualification)??

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 13th April 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #127
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

That broadcast to participate next year rule was scrapped a few years ago I believe although not sure if it was to allow a certain broadcaster in or what ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jerick
post 14th April 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #128
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716

Wasn't it scrapped so that Italy could return?

+Quote this post
Jerick
post 14th April 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #129
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716

le double post

This post has been edited by Jerick: 14th April 2017, 12:23 AM

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 14th April 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #130
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Yes that would make sense! Apparently they didn't broadcast it in 2010 so I imagine the EBU would have bended over backwards to make sure a little rule like that wouldn't prevent an Italian comeback.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 14th April 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #131
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

And, well, have you seen that ridiculous language where the EBU are condemning Ukraine for making a big deal out of this? They're going to want Russia back for sure in a similar way, no matter the 'rules'.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 14th April 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #132
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Ukraine2017: Celebrate Russia's Withdrawal

oops can't say you can celebrate diversity anymore

+Quote this post
p a v
post 14th April 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #133
Group icon

Oh there are plenty of russians living in ukraine

They will do

+Quote this post
Inna Selez
post 19th April 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #134
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,143

So next year if EBU will allow Russia to participate, Julia need to represent new song. Maybe try to sing in russian language?

+Quote this post
callmeDim
post 19th April 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #135
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,971

no way, it won't even sound attractive to English-speaking people. Russian language already was the object of ridicule, so why one needs to show it off again?
anyway, i'm 95% sure next year participant will be changed cuz O.Torvald's chances to win are kinda miserable probably? (despite their song sounds very refreshing and bracing compared to other contestants)

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 26th April 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #136
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Julia will perform at the Victory Day concert in Crimea on the evening of the first Eurovision semi-final, I think that may lose Russia some of the sympathy it may have had (although wiwibloggs are certainly still complete pro-Russia in their article).

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:40 PM