BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Oct 21 2013, 03:41 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Eden of The East is absolutely fantastic. Interestingly, the theme tune of the original series is "Falling Down" by Oasis, which actually works beautifully with the overall theme of the series.

Akira is rather extreme, but it is deservedly seen as a classic, and it is the anime that has done the most for its perception in the West, alongside Spirited Away, Pokemon & Legend of the Overfiend (all for very different reasons, I might add). The fate of Kei in Akira has me in tears though, she didn't deserve to go like that.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 11 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
So now that we're about halfway through the current anime season, here's a few shows that I've been watching:

Kill La Kill - Probaably the highest regarded show of the season. A girl who wields half a scissor arrives at a borderline fascist-run school to find out who was responsible for the death of her father. Armed with a sentinent, highly revealing school uniform which gives her increased strength, she takes on the school's student council to find out the truth. High octane, and hilariously funny.
Outbreak Company - A teen obsessed with anime is recruited (kidnapped) by the Japanese government to spread Japanese culture to a recently discovered mythical dimension, filled with elves, dwarfs, and other fantasy beings. A funny show, and one which has a surprising satirical bent to it.
Coppelion - 20 years after an ecological disaster makes Tokyo uninhabitable, 3 genetically engineered girls return to the city to search for survivors. One of the darker shows of the season.
Log Horizon - Following an update to a computer game, thousands of people find themselves trapped within it, and try to adapt to their new environment. Yes, it's just a rehash of last year's breakout hit "Sword Art Online", but it doesn't take itself as seriously.
Non Non Biyori - The cutest show of the year. A girl moves to the country from the city and goes to a school with only 5 pupils. She and the other pupils get up to all sorts of shenannagins. Breezy, slice of life stuff.
Gingitsune - Following the death of her mother, a girl who lives at a Shinto shrine is able to her shine's herald (the conduit between humanity and the gods), who takes the form of a gruff fox demon. Fun is had, emotions are laid bare, etc.

+Quote this post
Umi
post Nov 11 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #43
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
Ooh hello, I had no idea this thread existed. I'm looking for some advice - I had planned to watch Attack on Titan next but I've came to the opinion that it's a tad too gory for me (I generally prefer shows that have drama as a subplot to whatever else is going on - yes, I'm childish). So now I'm looking at Sword Art Online (...and a show which I've forgotten the name of but will get back to you about!) - does it sound like my kind of show?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 13 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Umi @ Nov 11 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Ooh hello, I had no idea this thread existed. I'm looking for some advice - I had planned to watch Attack on Titan next but I've came to the opinion that it's a tad too gory for me (I generally prefer shows that have drama as a subplot to whatever else is going on - yes, I'm childish). So now I'm looking at Sword Art Online (...and a show which I've forgotten the name of but will get back to you about!) - does it sound like my kind of show?

Well, it's not gory, so if you're worried about that then SAO should be your kind of thing, although it does get quite creepy in its 2nd half (well, one character in general). I would say that AOT is a really good show regardless of its real dark centre. It's been one of the breakout shows of the year so far, so I imagine it will win over people who aren't generally fans of anime, a bit like what Cowboy Bebop did in the early 00s.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Nov 30 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #45
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335
Took a month off to catch up to ~real~ TV series, now I'm back to watching Mushishi and Eden of the East. Thanks for the recommendation, Brett, I like it so far. Have you watched the movies? Do you think they're worth watching? I'm asking because anime films that are "continuations" of a series, they usually are crappy cash-ins.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Nov 30 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
Finished 07-Ghost a couple days ago. Really enjoyed it and am currently engrosed in the manga! I wish it would get a 2nd season, but that looks very unlikely. sad.gif

I also watched Betrayal Knows My Name, which was quite nice.

I've been a bit obssessed with Yaoi & Shounen-ai. I've also gotten through quite a few other series, although I've forgotten a lot of their names.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: Nov 30 2013, 10:57 PM

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 1 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Hard Out Here @ Nov 30 2013, 10:35 PM) *
Took a month off to catch up to ~real~ TV series, now I'm back to watching Mushishi and Eden of the East. Thanks for the recommendation, Brett, I like it so far. Have you watched the movies? Do you think they're worth watching? I'm asking because anime films that are "continuations" of a series, they usually are crappy cash-ins.

The two original Eden of the East films, The King of Eden and Paradise Lost, are worth watching, as they offer a continuation and conclusion to the story of the main series, although I must admit the ending isn't as satisfying as it should have been. The third film, Air Communication, is just a feature length version of the TV series, so is only really worth watching if you want to remind yourself of what happened in the TV series before starting the films.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jan 5 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #48
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
Time for a little update. I finished watching Higashi no Eden. Overall I liked it, but was a little disappointed as I expected it to be much better, there just weren't any "amazing" moments. I enjoyed the films more than the series by the way, I normally prefer endings with closure but this one worked better open-ended.

Other Anime I've watched since November:

Series:

Clannad & Clannad: After Story 9/10
Mushishi 8/10 (-2 points for being so slow paced, otherwise a brilliant anime & I'm super excited for the upcoming 2nd season)
Angel Beats! 8/10 (Great series but needed more development)
Great Teacher Onizuka 10/10 (I absolutely LOVED this!)

Films:
Clannad Movie 9/10 (I actually enjoyed this as much as the series)
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) 9/10
Tokyo Godfathers 8/10
Paprika 8/10
Perfect Blue 9/10
Hotarubi no Mori e 10/10 (this is surprisingly only 40min long, you should definitely watch)
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone 9/10
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance 10/10
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo 7/10

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 5 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Hard Out Here @ Jan 5 2014, 06:49 PM) *
Tokyo Godfathers 8/10
Paprika 8/10
Perfect Blue 9/10

I wrote my university dissertation on these films (in addition to Satoshi Kon's other film, Millennium Actress), so you can tell that I absolutely love these. Glad you seemed to love them too. Paprika is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Wolf Children is the anime that I most want to see at the moment, I'm going to buy the DVD once it's a reasonable price. The director of that film, Mamoru Hosoda, also made two other fantastic films, "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" (the final moments had me in tears), and the gloriously funny "Summer Wars".

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jan 5 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #50
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jan 5 2014, 08:04 PM) *
I wrote my university dissertation on these films (in addition to Satoshi Kon's other film, Millennium Actress), so you can tell that I absolutely love these. Glad you seemed to love them too. Paprika is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Wolf Children is the anime that I most want to see at the moment, I'm going to buy the DVD once it's a reasonable price. The director of that film, Mamoru Hosoda, also made two other fantastic films, "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" (the final moments had me in tears), and the gloriously funny "Summer Wars".

I can't believe I forgot to mention Millenium Actress as it's definitely my favourite of the 4. I watched all 4 in the space of 2 days. Too bad that Paranoia Agent was pretty average compared to the films and to think I watched it before the films, silly me.

I've yet to watch Summer Wars but I love The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I read that Mamoru Hosoda is also behind the first 2 Digimon films, what a pleasant coincidence wub.gif

So what have you watched lately?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 12 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Watched Wolf Children at the weekend. absolutely loved it, even though the ending had me in tears. I know he was half-wolf, but I found it hard to see Ame choosing to forgo his humanity in order to be the leader of the woods.

From this season's anime, here's what I'm watching:

Wizard Barristers - Does exactly what it says on the tin. Cecil is a 17-year-old female wizard who has just become the youngest ever barrister, who's job is to defend fellow magic users in wizard court.
Tonari no Seki-Kun - The funniest, and one of the shortest, new shows this season. Rumi sits beside Seki in class, where he kills time by getting up to mischief when the teacher isn't looking, such as creating an elaborate set of dominos, playing the weirdest game of chinese checkers, or replastering his desk. The humour comes from the extravagance of his schemes, and Rumi's over-reactions to them.
Inari KonKon - An awkward and shy middle school girl meets an unconventional Shinto goddess, who grants her the power to shape-shift. She then uses her power to get closer to the boy she has a crush on, as well as to strengthen her friendships.

+Quote this post
post Jun 15 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513
i love japen,,im always watching animey and reading the mango

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 15 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Mariah Scary @ Jun 15 2014, 10:41 PM) *
i love japen,,im always watching animey and reading the mango

Thank you for that invaluable contribution.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 15 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
While I'm here, here's what I'm currently watching -

Love Live - show about a plucky group of girls who form a pop group in order to save their beloved school from closure. I imagine this one would go down well with the average Buzzjacker.
The World Is Still Beautiful - The independently minded Princess Nike from the Principality of Rain, who has the power to control the elements, is summoned to the Kingdom of Sun in order to marry the Sun King, who rules the majority of the known world. However, he turns out to be very different to what she was expecting.
Is The Order A Rabbit? - Slice of life series about a group of girls who get up to all sorts of hijinks whilst working at a rabbit-themed cafe. Better than it sounds.

I also saw The Wind Rises, Hayao Miyazaki's final film last week, and was bitterly disappointed by it. It looks fantastic, but it fell flat.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jun 15 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #55
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
I've watched a lot of anime since my last update:

Movies: Taro the Dragon Boy, Summer Wars, Porco Rosso, Kara no Kyokai series, Colorful, Sword of the Stranger, Garden of Words.
Series: Kemonozume (very unique art, unknown and underrated), Log Horizon, Kill la Kill, Hunter x Hunter, Mushishi: Zoku Shou, Kuroko no Basuke, Shinsekai Yori, Nisekoi, Noragami.

Other than Hunter x Hunter that is a masterpiece, Kill la Kill was my favourite, followed by Kemonozume.

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 16 2014, 01:15 AM) *
While I'm here, here's what I'm currently watching -

Love Live - show about a plucky group of girls who form a pop group in order to save their beloved school from closure. I imagine this one would go down well with the average Buzzjacker.
The World Is Still Beautiful - The independently minded Princess Nike from the Principality of Rain, who has the power to control the elements, is summoned to the Kingdom of Sun in order to marry the Sun King, who rules the majority of the known world. However, he turns out to be very different to what she was expecting.
Is The Order A Rabbit? - Slice of life series about a group of girls who get up to all sorts of hijinks whilst working at a rabbit-themed cafe. Better than it sounds.

I also saw The Wind Rises, Hayao Miyazaki's final film last week, and was bitterly disappointed by it. It looks fantastic, but it fell flat.

You're very much into shoujo, aren't you, Brett?

I'm actually looking forward to watching The Wind Rises. I'm still waiting for the bluray rip.

This post has been edited by Heezus: Jun 15 2014, 11:12 PM

+Quote this post
post Jun 15 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 15 2014, 06:02 PM) *
Thank you for that invaluable contribution.

Lol take a joke!!!

I'm rewatching Rebuild of Evangelion rn and am deciding between FMA: Brotherhood or Attack on Titan next. Thoughts on which is more interesting?? I've seen all of the original FMA + Conqueror of Shambala and looove them

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jun 16 2014, 12:48 AM
Post #57
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
QUOTE(Mariah Scary @ Jun 16 2014, 02:22 AM) *
Lol take a joke!!!

I'm rewatching Rebuild of Evangelion rn and am deciding between FMA: Brotherhood or Attack on Titan next. Thoughts on which is more interesting?? I've seen all of the original FMA + Conqueror of Shambala and looove them

Watch both. If you can't, watch FMAB first because it's completed. Attack on Titan's manga is still ongoing and we're expecting a second season, hopefully sometime next year.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 16 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

Lol take a joke!!!

Sorry buddy. We cool? smile.gif

Can't speak for Full Metal Alchemist, but Attack on Titan is well worth watching, it was one of the biggest breakout anime hits of last year. It's incredibly gory, even by anime standards, but incredibly watchable.

I've watched a lot of anime since my last update:

Movies: Taro the Dragon Boy, Summer Wars, Porco Rosso, Kara no Kyokai series, Colorful, Sword of the Stranger, Garden of Words.
Series: Kemonozume (very unique art, unknown and underrated), Log Horizon, Kill la Kill, Hunter x Hunter, Mushishi: Zoku Shou, Kuroko no Basuke, Shinsekai Yori, Nisekoi, Noragami.

Other than Hunter x Hunter that is a masterpiece, Kill la Kill was my favourite, followed by Kemonozume.

Colorful is on my 'need to see really soon' list. Was it worth watching?

You're very much into shoujo, aren't you, Brett?

I wouldn't say so, it's just that out of this season's anime offerings, the only ones that appealed to me were tipped towards shojo. But I do have a great respect for the genre, as it usually puts a greater emphasis on story rather than action or fanservice (I should however point out that 'Rabbit' and 'Love Live' are in fact seinen, a demographic I fit nicely into). The new season starts in a few weeks time, and most of the ones I intend to see (including the 2nd seasons of Sword Art Online and Space Dandy) tip more towards the shonen.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jun 16 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #59
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
I personally loved Colorful, but it's a bit depressing, so unless you're in the mood you might not like it.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jul 28 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
We're about a third of the way into the summer anime season. In addition to the aforementioned 2nd seasons of Sword Art Online (this series takes the storyline into a rather different direction), and Space Dandy (same old Dandy), I've been watching -

Tokyo Ghoul - Ghouls are human-like creatures with increasing strength and supernatural ability who have to eat the flesh of humans. After nearly being eaten and left for dead by a ghoul, a college student finds himself slowly coming more ghoul-like, taste for human flesh included. He is taken in by a kindly group of ghouls who just want to co-exist, but darkness is always around the corner.
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun - Sakura has been in love with her classmate Nozaki for ages. After revealing her feelings to her, he accidentally thinks she's a fan - turns out he's secretly a writer of shojo manga. Sakura starts helping out Nozaki as she discovers the secrets behind writing about the genre, and hilarity ensures. A great satire of the shojo genre, whilst still being a faithful example of it.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:08 PM