BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Torchwood: Joseph's rank of every episode, outside the government, beyond the police
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Oct 6 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #21
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Finally! The only part of nu-Who (aside from Class) I've not rewatched although I am planning on soooon/eventually as I finally got it on DVD the other month laugh.gif

It's such a fantastic premise but ultimately a DAMP SQUIB. Things of interest rarely happen and it lacks the strong enemy behind the premise - which is concerning considering it stretches over 10 episodes. Oswald Danes is an interesting character but ultimately has no bearing on the plot. The two new characters lack depth from what I remember.

The stand out was definitely Vera's death which is actually amongst the best Torchwood scenes. The rest barely leaves a strong impact and I've forgotten most of it. Barely even Torchwood, only in name and the two leads
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Oct 6 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I remember Miracle Day starting off quite strongly as the concept is brought to life... then there are several ways displayed in which horrible things can still happen, then the definite highlight in Vera's scene... then it just kinda goes downhill as though they ran out of ideas - I remember being especially irked that all the decent new female characters ended up dead where as the pretty unrelatable Rex survived and worse still became immortal.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 6 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #23
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I enjoyed Miracle Day more when I stopped thinking of it as Torchwood and more as some slightly shit but still quite interesting separate sci-fi show laugh.gif it really doesn't feel much like Torchwood, I agree with you Klaus!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 6 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I don't think I ever finished Miracle Day, it just got soooo drawn out and convoluted and I just entirely lost interest in what they were doing. Such a misfire after the genius of Children of Earth.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 7 2019, 10:01 AM
Post #25
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I got a lot of fatigue when watching Miracle Day, I remember. Everything else was a breeze to watch but I was begging it to end by the end. I don't think they really thought out the true ramifications of their concept (a grand one at the best of times) and from I what I remember and reading your paragraph there was a lot that went unfinished/had little importance.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Oct 7 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #26
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Yeah, it really could have just been condensed to a three parter or something!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 7 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #27
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
100% agreed, or even a 5-parter like Children of Earth, that's still half the length of what it actually had laugh.gif

Also I think Oswald Danes' presence, if it was THAT necessary (and it wasn't considering his only real outcome was to blow up the Blessing in Shanghai), he should have featured in a similar capacity to Viv Rook in Years and Years - mostly through news reports and glimpses of footage like that.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Oct 7 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #28
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
My main issue with Miracle Day has always been Rex. He was such an unlikeable main character, and it really detracted from how great the story was at times. sad.gif I 100% agree with the criticisms about it being too long and not quite hitting the mark with some aspects, but overall I think it gets more stick than it deserves.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 5 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #29
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 22 2019, 03:36 PM) *
Miracle Day for last place (or Meat)

QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 23 2019, 08:20 PM) *
Miracle Day next x

QUOTE(Klaus @ Sep 23 2019, 09:35 PM) *
Where is Miracle Day

QUOTE(Klaus @ Oct 6 2019, 06:02 PM) *
Finally! The only part of nu-Who (aside from Class) I've not rewatched although I am planning on soooon/eventually as I finally got it on DVD the other month laugh.gif

I’ve just started watching Episode 1 of Miracle Day for the first time since it first aired. Weirdly excited, maybe because it is the only part of nuWho I’ve NOT rewatched, particularly after such a long time so it’s like a brand new series! Ready to be disappointed all over again *.*

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Apr 6 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #30
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I enjoyed Miracle Day but i agree it wasn’t very good laugh.gif My main issue was that it wasn’t played off as canon to the rest of the DW world. Everything else that happened in Torchwood (not sure about S3) and even in Sarah Jane was at least nodded to in Doctor Who but then suddenly the whole world stops dying and it’s just not noticed. I know a story like this with huge ramifications would always be hard in Torchwood bc 9/10 time the Doctor shows up to save the day when something this major happens but Miracle Day was just scrubbed out of existence basically. Does anyone know if Children Of Earth is seen as canon?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:02 AM