BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2018: Week #13, aka a popstar aka a problem //+links +writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Apr 5 2018, 12:27 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The final chart of March 2018 sees Tinashe's No Drama ascend to the top spot giving her her first leader after four years charting. Flame, SuperLove, Player and Far Side of the Moon were her closest previous tries, all being just pipped to the post by tracks I played just that bit more in the period. No Drama proved to be a slow burner, taking the top spot in its seventh charting week. It's one I was originally a little lukewarm on, but which definitely grew. Even if I still think Tinashe looks like a 40 year old woman in the video (that blazer and wig...just no...), the swagger she brings lifts it all. Last week's leader, Powerglide, slips back to #2, Kylie zooms to #4 and the rest of the top 5 is static.

Moving within the top 10, Lana jumps in to gain yet another top ten hit from her latest album, up to 9 now out of 11 charting songs. Years & Years' comeback Sanctify and my latest BJSC success Namesake also enter this week. As for brand new entries, those come this week mainly in the middle of the chart, save for this week's highest debut from, surprise surprise, Inna, another of my top faves. This week also sees new entries from Karen Harding, Mat Kearney, Yungen and Jess Glynne, Whinnie Williams, Troye Sivan, Shakka, Little Dragon, Caroline Pennell, Troye Sivan, Stefflon Don, the Chainsmokers, and Snow Tha Product which will be linked in this thread a bit later in the week.
They're also scattered through my (linked) weekly playlists, so feel free to check those out in the meantime.

And with all that out of the way, here's this top 40 list for this final week of March 2018:

01 Tinashe ft. Offset - No Drama [14-9-9-6-4-4-1]
02 Rae Sremmurd ft. Juicy J - Powerglide [29-2-1-2]
03 Diplo ft. Lil Yachty + Santigold - Worry No More [13-3-3]
04 Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling [35-4]
05 Chvrches ft. Matt Berninger - My Enemy [5-5]
06 Antonia - Tango [7-6]
07 Lana Del Rey ft. A$AP Rocky + Playboi Carti - Summer Bummer [22-12-7]
08 Inna - Tropical [N]
09 Tunde Olaniran - Namesake [19-9]
10 Years & Years - Sanctify [27-10]
11 Little Dragon - Best Friends [28-6-11]
12 Cheat Codes ft. Kiiara - Put Me Back Together [7-10-12]
13 HAIM - You Never Knew [22-5-1-2-13]
14 Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same [29-18-14]
15 AlmA ft. Tove Styrke - Good Vibes [9-11-15]
16 Mat Kearney ft. RAC - Memorized [N]
17 Vuyina - Journey [23-17]
18 Karen Harding x Tom Ferry - Runaway [N]
19 Angger Dimas ft. NERVO - Give It All Up [15-19]
20 Cherrie ft. Kehlani - 163 For Evigt (Remix) [14-14-20]
21 Yungen ft. Jess Glynne - Mind On It [N]
22 Whinnie Williams - What About Me [N]
23 Snow That Product ft. Arcangel - Nuestra Cancion Pt. 2 [N]
24 Blakey ft. Jones - Prism of Love [17-24]
25 Leikeli47 - Wash & Set [20-20-25]
26 The Knocks ft. Foster the People - Ride or Die [21-26]
27 Kendrick Lamar ft. SZA - All the Stars [28-5-8-27]
28 Troye Sivan - Strawberries & Cigarettes [N]
29 Shakka ft. AlunaGeorge - Man Down [N]
30 Little Dragon - The Pop Life [N]
31 BoTalks ft. Caroline Pennell - F*ck It [N]
32 Stefflon Don ft. Skepta - Ding-A-Ling [N]
33 MNEK - Tongue [33-33]
34 ASTR - Ritual [34-26-34]
35 Sigala ft. Paloma Faith - Lullaby [11-9-35]
36 Khalid ft. Normani - Love Lies [27-22-36]
37 Flight Facilities x Manila Killa ft. Emma Louise - Arty Boy (Remix) [31-30-37]
38 Jireel ft. Lamix - Woh [28-38]
39 Jorja Smith ft. Stormzy - Let Me Down [30-25-39]
40 Chainsmokers - Everybody Hates Me [N]

#1s this year:
Inna – Nirvana (1)
Eminem ft. Ed Sheeran – River (1)
Femme En Fourrure ft. Pykari – Ride (2)
Simian Ghost – Eat The Rich (1)
MGMT – When You Die (1)
Chvrches – Get Out (1)
M.O ft. Lotto Boyzz + Mr Eazi – Bad Vibe (1)
Jhene Aiko ft. Rae Sremmurd – Sativa (1)
Paloma Faith – Til I'm Done (1)
HAIM – You Never Knew (1)
Rae Sremmurd ft. Juicy J – Powerglide (1)
Tinashe ft. Offset – No Drama (~)

My spotify picks arrow right.gif {A-List} arrow right.gif {B-List} arrow right.gif {C-List}

This post has been edited by Jόpiter: Apr 9 2018, 09:51 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Apr 9 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
And here's the new ones for this week:

Starting at the bottom, Everybody Hates Me squeaks in for the Chainsmokers this week. It's the duo's ninth top 40 but one of their weaker entries for me, following up #37-peaking Honest. The duo have two chart toppers for me, the well-known Don't Let Me Down, and Wake Up Alone from their to date only album, featuring Jhene Aiko.

Stefflon's Ding-A-Ling also squeaks in, helped out by its video release. It's a shame the song has that as its hook, because it's a pretty good bop otherwise. Video does help to weaken that, though. Hope she puts out something better soon.

AlunaGeorge, Caroline Pennell and Little Dragon all enter around the 30 mark this week with new(ish) songs following-up previous hits last year. It's Little Dragon's third charter from Season High and comes after the impact of several standalone singles.

Troye's Love, Simon soundtrack track gives him a second charter of 2018 following up My My My. It gives him an eighth top 40 charter to go with four previous top 10s and the chart topping There For You with Martin Garrix.

Jess Glynne, Karen Harding and newcomer Whinnie Williams fly the flag for pure pop this week. As These Days hasn't quite made it in for me yet, this is Jess Glynne's chart comeback since her last album tracks landed in the low 30s in 2016, and it's a welcome one, although I can't quite get over how different she looks. It's Karen Harding's fourth entry and already her highest peaker, just passing 2016's Open My Eyes which peaked for me at #19.

Inna grabs another top 10 with Tropical, already in line to do very well next week due to my holiday - Inna songs always go down well in the sun - while Mat Kearney gains a surprise hit alongside RAC after two minor hits in 2016 with Ingrid Michaelson and Filous. Both tunes are actually really catchy, imo anyway.

And we close out the week with a fun foreign language collab which gives a personal chart debut to both the interestingly named Snow Tha Product, and featured rapper Arcangel. It's rare that a completely non-English track catches me, some notable exceptions aside, but this is a pretty good lowkey bop that nicely follows up the Latinx sound that's been pushed to the fore again by the success of Despacito, Havana, Shakira's Chantaje and various others over the last year or so. It's not even the only non-English track this week - both Cherrie and Kehlani's collab and Jireel's Woh are Swedish-language tunes. Eurovision season is coming, after all!

Comments and thoughts welcome as ever, folks wink.gif I do like hearing them biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:10 AM