BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'LOST' · 10 years on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Sep 28 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

It's hard to believe that it's now been 10 years since this phenomenon exploded onto our scenes. It was one of those rare moments when a TV show truly captures the world's attention with nearly everyone being aware of it and it's mysteries even if they had not seen a single episode. There have been numerous attempts to produce a similar style show since but they have never truly succeeded unfortunately (rip Flashforward).

It may have diminished in quality as it went along and the ending was always going to be controversial but what are your opinions on the show now you're able to reflect back on it? Was it ever going to be possible to answer every mystery? Would you rather some aspects were left ambiguous as long as the main questions were answered? Moving aware from the main aspects that the show receives attention for, did the show's true success lie in it's characters, the vast majority of which where richly developed?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 28 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007
This still ranks as my #1. The way it captured me and all of my friends to the point where it became an obsession hasn't been rivaled by anything before or since.

They were never going to answer everything, and they didn't need to because a lot of the fun of the show was coming up with your own theories and debating ad infinitum about what tiny morsels of information could mean. Having said that, for some things we weren't even given clues to work from (what happened to Walk off the island etc.) which i think is where some of the fan frustration came from. A lot of things could be answered by adding pieces together and rewatching, but some things became unanswered and almost forgotten which was sad to see.

The final season was weak in comparison. Yes the show was largely about the characters, but we didn't need a season devoted to telling us this, as we picked that up watching the show anyway. I'm sure there were financial/red tape things that got in the way of a lot of what the producers wanted, but when it was good (which was 99% of the time) it was the best.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Sep 28 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #3
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
It gets so much deserved stick. People who barely watched the show, thinking the plane crash pictures at that the end was a sign that they all died in the plane crash.. massive facepalm. I thought the final season would be amazing, but in truth it was not the strongest. I thought they spent too much time on Jacob/MiB/Mother.. it was all done to late imo. I get the characters were around before but the fleshing out of them just seemed rushed and not that great. It could have been handled much better. My biggest grip is still the death of Locke. I just thought it was such a poor end to such an integral character, and although Terry O'Quinn maybe have lived on, the character was sorely missed in real time. To this day I don't get why Ben killed Locke.

That said it's an iconic show. It lost it's way around the middle of Season 3 big time, but again that was more due to fact that it was on a network and it needed these types of episodes, plus right the I believe they were structuring the deal to end the show. I think now is LOST aired it wouldn't have aired on network, it would be a cable programme. I think all the avid fans of LOST have moved on to watching the likes of Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad... right now I can't see their being another phenomena like this on network television.

I loved all the characters, even the secondary ones. They were all fleshed out in a way that made them interesting. Jack was a complete drain throughout Season 3 mind, at least up until towards the final third. Favourites were Desmond, Locke and Miles.

I'd say the most surprising thing about post-LOST is the real lack of major work a lot of the actors have found (not counting Boone/Shannon). A few are in TV shows still, but I really thought the likes of Matthew Fox and Josh Holloway would be big film stars, especially the latter.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Sep 29 2014, 07:01 AM
Post #4
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
This show is the main thing that made me into an obsessive TV shows fan I am today. but I never seem to give it the credit it deserves tbh.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Sep 29 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #5
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335
I gave this up in Season 1. Too many flashbacks and characters I could just not get to like.

QUOTE(Conderella @ Sep 29 2014, 10:01 AM) *
This show is the main thing that made me into an obsessive TV shows fan I am today. but I never seem to give it the credit it deserves tbh.

Sometimes the catalysts are not THAT great. It was Charmed that turned me into a TV Loon and when I re-watched it a couple of years ago, it was ...OK.

This post has been edited by Heezus: Sep 29 2014, 07:20 AM

+Quote this post
p a v
post Sep 29 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(Heezus @ Sep 29 2014, 11:17 AM) *
Sometimes the catalysts are not THAT great. It was Charmed that turned me into a TV Loon and when I re-watched it a couple of years ago, it was ...OK.

omg Charmed <3 DEFINED my childhood! I used to play Charmed with my sister. I was Piper and she was Phoebe (our respective faves) and we would battle it out. I would always win obviously. I mean come awn levitation and premonition don't stand a chance against blowing up and freezing shit~

Maybe it's because we were much younger back then or those TV shows just aged badly.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Sep 29 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #7
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335
How did she act out levitation? LOL

+Quote this post
p a v
post Sep 29 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #8
Group icon
QUOTE(Heezus @ Sep 29 2014, 12:04 PM) *
How did she act out levitation? LOL

Just jumping did the trick really. We didn't have a pull up bar or anything fancy like that~

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 29 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I never watched the show when it went out as I was probably slightly too young for it but I was still very, very much aware of it of course. I'm very glad that I managed to catch it all though over the years as it does rank very highly in terms of my favourite TV shows.

I think the two main selling points of the series are what attracts me to the show. I love to become involved in something that contains mysteries where I can think of possible solutions. It's what attracted me to shows like FlashForward later on. Like Haus said, the fun is in creating your own theories which always make the actual answers disappointing no matter what it is!

The other aspect is the characters as the majority really were well and truly developed which is very rare for a TV show with such a large ensemble cast. The flashbacks/forwards/sideways of course helped with these but what was more important was that an episode never felt like a filler if it focused on more minor characters. I know that Nikki and Paulo weren't that well liked but I still enjoyed their death episode as I really found it chilling that they were buried alive.

Seasons 1-3 are definitely the best half of the show as, for me, it carried the right amount of mystery. I especially really enjoyed the first season for the pure fact that all these characters exploded onto the scene and you thought you knew them until their flashbacks unravelled the true facts. The latter series were when it felt like the writers were slightly making it up as they went along and were more interested in creating more and more mysteries because it was what the show came to be known for rather than having less mysteries but ones that were more intriguing/exciting to speculate about. It ended up becoming too involved in sci-fi which did make it at times, a chore to watch for me.

Nevertheless, it is still one of my favourite TV shows and, even though I've seen many attempts since, probably one that can't be replicated.

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 28 2014, 10:02 PM) *
My biggest grip is still the death of Locke. I just thought it was such a poor end to such an integral character, and although Terry O'Quinn maybe have lived on, the character was sorely missed in real time. To this day I don't get why Ben killed Locke.

I definitely agree with this. It was the completely wrong way to go about his storyline.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Sep 29 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Rabbit Heart @ Sep 29 2014, 06:26 PM) *
I never watched the show when it went out as I was probably slightly too young for it but I was still very, very much aware of it of course. I'm very glad that I managed to catch it all though over the years as it does rank very highly in terms of my favourite TV shows.

I think the two main selling points of the series are what attracts me to the show. I love to become involved in something that contains mysteries where I can think of possible solutions. It's what attracted me to shows like FlashForward later on. Like Haus said, the fun is in creating your own theories which always make the actual answers disappointing no matter what it is!

The other aspect is the characters as the majority really were well and truly developed which is very rare for a TV show with such a large ensemble cast. The flashbacks/forwards/sideways of course helped with these but what was more important was that an episode never felt like a filler if it focused on more minor characters. I know that Nikki and Paulo weren't that well liked but I still enjoyed their death episode as I really found it chilling that they were buried alive.

Seasons 1-3 are definitely the best half of the show as, for me, it carried the right amount of mystery. I especially really enjoyed the first season for the pure fact that all these characters exploded onto the scene and you thought you knew them until their flashbacks unravelled the true facts. The latter series were when it felt like the writers were slightly making it up as they went along and were more interested in creating more and more mysteries because it was what the show came to be known for rather than having less mysteries but ones that were more intriguing/exciting to speculate about. It ended up becoming too involved in sci-fi which did make it at times, a chore to watch for me.

See I loved seasons 4-5, probably the most out of the whole season (and the last few episodes of Season 3). Season 1 was amazing, but Season 2 kinda lost me a little while. They started having filler flashbacks, and were stringing storylines out that fans craved to know. Half the problem with such a large mythology is fans creating their own theories, and being annoyed when their theories are wrong, and not the actual explanation.

Been interesting to read about the LOST franchise. I think give it another couple of years then someone will come up with a new TV show or film based on the island.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Sep 29 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Series one of this was great and I was totally hooked, series 2 promised more than it delivered and I remember being really frustrated with it's pacing. Series 3 was the series I gave up watching half way through and I never returned.

I sort of wish I'd stuck with it as I am intrigued still to find out what happened but I'd far rather read a summary of the final seasons than have to endure watching them if they carried on at the slow pace they were going at during seasons 2 and 3.

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Sep 29 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
I personally loved the show. The characters were brilliant, the plots were brilliant and the cinematography was great. I've even got my mate into the show now and she loves it too. Shame my favorite character died in the first episode of season 6 sad.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Sep 29 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #13
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(مدهش* @ Sep 29 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Series one of this was great and I was totally hooked, series 2 promised more than it delivered and I remember being really frustrated with it's pacing. Series 3 was the series I gave up watching half way through and I never returned.

I sort of wish I'd stuck with it as I am intrigued still to find out what happened but I'd far rather read a summary of the final seasons than have to endure watching them if they carried on at the slow pace they were going at during seasons 2 and 3.

I say this to everyone, you missed out when you stopped watching during Season 3 as it improves dramatically. But in defence there are some dire episodes mid-way through, definitely the low point of the show, and something even the most avid fans recognise because it did get THAT bad. I know a lot of my friends stopped watching, because I remember at the time there was an issue with Virgin & Sky, which meant Sky One was pulled from Virgin Media. Honestly the pace ramps up in the final few episodes, and the Season 3 finale is the best finale episode ever, hands down. Also contains the most jaw-dropping twist I've seen on TV!

+Quote this post
Jester
post Sep 29 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12
I stopped watching mid season 3 as well then watched the last episode. Needless to say I was utterly confused!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Sep 29 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(Heezus @ Sep 29 2014, 08:17 AM) *

I think you could be onto something with this theory as I'd say it was Glee for me. tongue.gif

To not ignore Lost, I wish I'd have kept with it rather than stopping randomly towards the end of the first season. I enjoyed the flashbacks and it would've been a cool show to follow all the way through, but tbh, I'd have probably given up further along down the line.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 29 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I don't understand those that switched off part way through. It's SO engrossing, i couldn't miss a second let alone turn off and not stick with it to just see what happened next/what was answered. ESPECIALLY part way through the first season which was more gripping than anything!! FOR SHAME.

Overwhelming urge to rewatch it all now drama.gif I got the collection on blu-ray as an xmas present but my player is broken atm so must fix that pronto~

+Quote this post
p a v
post Sep 29 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
omg it really got me hooked from the VERY beginning so I don't geddit either! ohmy.gif Season 3 is where it peaked for me though.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Sep 29 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
I really liked Season 6 at the time and I wasn't disappointed by it, maybe because I watched them all in one summer rather than spending 6 years waiting for the answers. In hindsight it was really sloppy - what with the temple coming and going but having no significance, and Widmore turning out to be a bit of a non-entity.

The on-island Season 5 arc and the whole of Season 2 is what I remember most fondly. I think the final episode of Season 3 is my very favourite and IMDB agrees with me.

Also could we please appreciate just how good some of the Season openings (if you think about how different they are to the previous season's ending):

If THAT didn't make you want to watch 23 episodes at once I don't know what would.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 29 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
QUOTE(Harve @ Sep 29 2014, 09:47 PM) *

During the wait for Season 2, i can remember my brother and i downloading this episode off a dodgy site, promising to only watch the first 5 minutes and then waiting for it to be shown on TV here. We ended up watching this intro and just HAD to continue with it all drama.gif the soundtrack too !!!

I can't even begin to think of a favourite episode or even moment. There were too many. To go on an underrated tangent, most Juliet-centric episodes have a place in my heart just because she really warmed to me as a character and i followed her story very closely. Just one of the many examples of DEPTH in character.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Sep 30 2014, 05:26 AM
Post #20
Group icon
QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 30 2014, 12:54 AM) *
I can't even begin to think of a favourite episode or even moment. There were too many.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:20 PM