BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Phantom Thread, Daniel Day-Lewis, Lesley Manville, Vicky Krieps
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 23rd October 2017, 11:32 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Supposedly the final film role for Daniel Day-Lewis before he retires! It's also directed by Paul Thomas Anderson of Boogie Nights, The Master & There Will Be Blood fame.

Not sure that I'm going to enjoy this one much based on the trailer but I'll probably catch it anyway if I have the time - the performance from Day-Lewis looks good as always.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 26th October 2017, 10:44 AM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

The last Paul Thomas Anderson movie I went to see ended up being possibly the worst thing I've seen of the past few years. This doesn't exactly look thrilling, but at least it doesn't look as ridiculous as Inherent Vice I guess.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd February 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I was dreading watching this so bad because I thought the trailer made it looked so dull but it was actually rather good and I'd say I prefer it to both Darkest Hour and Dunkirk from the Best Picture line-up this year (at least it was daring which can't be said for DH at all). The marketing was almost misleading in a way because I had no idea how funny it was going to be, the audience were belly laughing at some points. My jaw also hit the floor at the ending, certainly not a twist that I was predicting.

In terms of acting, Manville stood out to me most for being the queen of all side-eye and resting bitch face but the two leads were very good too. I'm not the biggest Day-Lewis fan but this was a really interesting role and his outbursts were hilarious. Vicky Krieps felt very realistic too and her line delivery sounded very natural, I'm sure she would have been in contention for an Oscar nomination if she were a slightly bigger name

The score was beautiful too and massively elevated the film in some scenes. I'd be rooting for this if The Shape of Water's music wasn't so gorgeous too.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:47 PM