BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Avengers: Endgame, April 2019.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
blacksquare
post Apr 27 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 27 2019, 12:56 AM) *
9/10 for me. The previous was a perfect film, this one was a little more schizophrenic and long - the first half character, the second half plot. So many fave characters for me, Karen Gillan is a stand-out in the regrouped Avengers, and Black Widow. In the second part, I just love Scarlet Witch, Spiderman and Quill.

Plotwise I have a couple of questions OK, the past can't be changed, and nothing you do in the past, or anyone leaving the past for the present, changes the original past. Quite a concept as you can exist in multiple times including the past when you've gone to the future. That's how it was explained that Back To The Future can't happen - no changing the past and changing the future.

So...what happened to the spare Karen Gillen and her sis Zoe Saldana when all the baddies were turned to dust? They weren't seen again. So either Hulk dusted them too, or they are now in the present but with no memory of the rest of the gang.

Some very sad goodbyes to big names, but there's a big eh, what at Spiderman returning to school and finding his schoolmate still there not aged a day. Presumably half his class will have graduated and be 5 years older and half won't so the ones that havent aged must have been dusted originally...

Think we may need scorecards to keep track in the forthcoming films for any "everything returns to normal" when it plainly can't: homes will have been sold on, belongings got rid, jobs lost, economies ruined and suddenly you have twice the population to feed after adjusting for half!

Best film of the year though, of course.

I presumed Gamora turned to dust as she travelled to the future with Thanos and couldn't be located at the end. Who knows though, the possibilities are endless with the multiple timelines — they could essentially bring anyone from the past to the present, although that would remove them from their timeline, right?

I am guessing Spider-Man is either a prequel to Infinity War (although the lack of Tony in the trailers suggests otherwise) or they'll explain it. I just hope they don't pretend things went back to normal after everyone returned.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 27 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #42
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Apparently Far From Home will be set after Endgame [https://screenrant.com/spider-man-far-home-before-after-avengers-endgame/]. That would make the most sense anyhow. All the key teenage characters would have conveniently been snapped and thus not have aged in the past 5 years probably, we already know Ned hasn't aged.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Apr 27 2019, 02:01 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
I really enjoyed the film and the payoff for those invested was great. It wasn't perfect. The Thor storyline was a choice, and I wish Hulk had more character development on screen rather than off.

I'm sure people weren't expecting such a sombre and slow first act, although I enjoy those slower character moments. The final act was obviously fantastic — that fight scene. The women all supporting Spider-Man. Yas. Well, except Black Widow.

I have some issues with her death. I understand she was sacrificing herself but having it so early in the film, not making it to the final fight, and then moving on quickly without much fanfare was a shame. Really intrigued to see what direction they go with her film and if people will even care about the prequel for a dead character.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Apr 27 2019, 02:05 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 27 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(blacksquare @ Apr 27 2019, 02:48 PM) *
I presumed Gamora turned to dust as she travelled to the future with Thanos and couldn't be located at the end. Who knows though, the possibilities are endless with the multiple timelines — they could essentially bring anyone from the past to the present, although that would remove them from their timeline, right?

I am guessing Spider-Man is either a prequel to Infinity War (although the lack of Tony in the trailers suggests otherwise) or they'll explain it. I just hope they don't pretend things went back to normal after everyone returned.

Well that would be my assumption - but they went to the trouble of showing the baddies turning to dust and it would have been dramatically MUCH bigger to show Gamora and Sis v1 turning to dust but not Sis v2. It could be Gamora just slipped away as she had nothing in common with the Guardians who she didn't know...? Hulk Bruce would presumably know both weren't baddies when he snapped his fingers?

In terms of bringing characters back from the past they have verily opened Pandoras Box already. Thanos dies before he can kill Gamora and snap half the universe away, Cap spends his entire life with Agent Carter and doesn't join The Avengers, and we know Antman can time travel at will now and there are means for anyone from the past to journey to the present. So, yes, anyone can now comeback from the dead, and nothing anyone does in the past when time travelling makes any changes to the present, even killing Thanos.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post Apr 27 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
Box office numbers are in and the records have been smashed. After Friday, it already has the biggest worldwide opening ever and has already grossed $644m. Over $300m of that comes just from China.

It has recorded the highest single day box office in practically every territory now.

It took $156m domestically on Friday, so that optimistic hope of a $300m opening weekend has been blown out of the water. It could realistically achieve $350m now.

The $1bn worldwide opening is very, very possible.

Oh, and just as an added bonus, Captain Marvel has rebounded and is at number 2, up 96% from last Friday. Queen.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 27 2019, 11:01 PM
Post #46
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Loved it but this is why you don’t do time travel

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Apr 28 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #47
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Suddenly all those visions in Age Of Ultron are making sense now...

HOLY CRAP WHAT A FINISHER. Nebula by far has had the best character development in the MCU and her compassion towards Gamora and her past self + the small tidbits with Tony in the beginning only amplify that. YAS @ her finally joining the Guardians! Part of me expected Cap and Tony to die but the latter’s sacrifice was a brilliant sendoff for him and his character. When Strange looked at him and raised one finger I just KNEW it was coming. Also the clanking sounds at the end from the first Iron Man movie? I got CHILLS.

Part of me did think that the scene with all the women pummeling Thanos was a little bit pandering but it paid off to see Valkyrie/Wanda/Carol interact and I still got my life over it. Also why add in a random Harley Keener cameo when he hasn’t been relevant since Iron Man 3?
Overall, I was super impressed despite the obvious flaws and I’m excited to see what Marvel has in store for Phase 4!

The Clintasha moment with the Soul Stone had me in tears. It also makes me wonder if Hawkeye will be making a cameo for the Black Widow origin story? I’m also kinda wondering if they’ll explain the time jump further in future Marvel projects. I’m hoping for something in Agents of Shield since they reference the cinematic universe anyway or it will be explained in the vast number of sequels.
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 27 2019, 09:10 AM) *
Well that would be my assumption - but they went to the trouble of showing the baddies turning to dust and it would have been dramatically MUCH bigger to show Gamora and Sis v1 turning to dust but not Sis v2. It could be Gamora just slipped away as she had nothing in common with the Guardians who she didn't know...? Hulk Bruce would presumably know both weren't baddies when he snapped his fingers?

In terms of bringing characters back from the past they have verily opened Pandoras Box already. Thanos dies before he can kill Gamora and snap half the universe away, Cap spends his entire life with Agent Carter and doesn't join The Avengers, and we know Antman can time travel at will now and there are means for anyone from the past to journey to the present. So, yes, anyone can now comeback from the dead, and nothing anyone does in the past when time travelling makes any changes to the present, even killing Thanos.

Well now would be a great idea to introduce the presence of the multiverse for Doctor Strange 2/Guardians 3! Also with Cap, he may have stuck around in the past and aged as he normally would have, but he still has his memories of Sam. That wouldn’t have happened if he never joined the Avengers, no?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 28 2019, 11:17 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Cody... WOO! @ Apr 28 2019, 10:40 AM) *
Suddenly all those visions in Age Of Ultron are making sense now...

HOLY CRAP WHAT A FINISHER. Nebula by far has had the best character development in the MCU and her compassion towards Gamora and her past self + the small tidbits with Tony in the beginning only amplify that. YAS @ her finally joining the Guardians! Part of me expected Cap and Tony to die but the latter’s sacrifice was a brilliant sendoff for him and his character. When Strange looked at him and raised one finger I just KNEW it was coming. Also the clanking sounds at the end from the first Iron Man movie? I got CHILLS.

Part of me did think that the scene with all the women pummeling Thanos was a little bit pandering but it paid off to see Valkyrie/Wanda/Carol interact and I still got my life over it. Also why add in a random Harley Keener cameo when he hasn’t been relevant since Iron Man 3?
Overall, I was super impressed despite the obvious flaws and I’m excited to see what Marvel has in store for Phase 4!

The Clintasha moment with the Soul Stone had me in tears. It also makes me wonder if Hawkeye will be making a cameo for the Black Widow origin story? I’m also kinda wondering if they’ll explain the time jump further in future Marvel projects. I’m hoping for something in Agents of Shield since they reference the cinematic universe anyway or it will be explained in the vast number of sequels.
Well now would be a great idea to introduce the presence of the multiverse for Doctor Strange 2/Guardians 3! Also with Cap, he may have stuck around in the past and aged as he normally would have, but he still has his memories of Sam. That wouldn’t have happened if he never joined the Avengers, no?
"

Yes youre right he can exist twice for the same period of time. Complex plots ahead! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 28 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #49
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
It was a brilliant way of celebrating the last 10 years, and bringing that era to a close. And then the battle sequences were incredible.

However, their version of time travel just stinks of convenient plot telling and it raises so many questions that will largely be unanswered.

First of all I didn't understand why Nebula 2 didn't die after she killed the older version, then you have the mess that Thanos dies before he's even gathered the Infinity Stones so what's the point of even putting them back in the first place. However, I since understand that they now create alternative timelines, one where Thanos has died etc but the main storyline stays the same? One of the messiest logics I've seen. When does that alternative timeline start - from when Thanos & Nebula jump ahead in time? If so, surely that means The Avengers have created multiple timelines from going back in time? When they both die? But then what happens with Gamora, for all we know old her is still around in 2018 but that means she isn't there to join the Guardians and ultimately be sacrificed to get the Soul Stone. But if the present timeline doesn't change, her existence in 2018 surely has created an alternative timeline?? Maybe that's whats being explored in Guardians 3? Then Captain going back to live with Peggy creates an alternative timeline so why is he still part of the main timeline? What's the point in putting the Infinity Stones back if the present doesn't change anyway, and they've created all these multiple timelines anyway?!? Then, you have Loki's new timeline where he's escaped with the Tessaract. Again, maybe that's what his TV series will be about??

OH and the MESS of everyone returning 5 years later making EVERYTHING out of sync. Particularly with Spiderman, as noted here already. He's returning to school whilst some of his friends will be working/at uni. It also will such a psychological affect on people e.g. parents missing out on children growing up. All because Tony Stark had a daughter!

It's such a mess from how I understand it and something like Time Travel can't be counteracted by a couple of throwaway lines in a universe that has 20+ films and is ongoing.

I think Black Widow's death was also a bit messy. Surely Nebula explained that to get the Soul Stone someone had to die? And then for her to be mourned for a total of 10 seconds despite her being one of the hearts of the whole Avengers AND to be the only one not involved in the big finale fight. That then leads on to seemingly quite forced feminism scene... Captain Marvel felt underutilised, although I understand it was filmed before they did her film.

So happy to see Nebula finally getting more screen time it was brilliant to see the change from her old self to her new one, meaning she was both the villain and the hero to the Avengers. WOW.

AND ALSO a RAT saves the entire universe! How could Doctor Strange guarantee the timeline that would follow would be the one where a RAT CRAWLS ACROSS SOME TECHNOLOGY, CRAWLING ON THE RIGHT BUTTONS

I really did enjoy it, and it's certainly no mean feat to not only resolve that cliffhanger but also tie up 20+ films and bring together a close of an era so massive congratulations to the Russo brothers on that. This is where I loved all the time travel scenes as we called back to the first film (especially getting a glimpse into the cleaning up! laugh.gif), the elevator scene and other little cameos and nods. Over the two Infinity films, it's felt as though each of the individual franchises have played a big part (e.g. Wakanda battle scene in IW, Ant-Man's technology playing a massive part in this film, Doctor Stranges time portal things, Guardians exploring space). I just think they messed up with the logic of time travel which raises so many questions

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 27 2019, 05:10 PM) *
Cap spends his entire life with Agent Carter and doesn't join The Avengers

He does join the Avengers because he already has?! It's the same Captain: timeline has gone from 2011-2018 and then went back in time to spend it with Peggy

+Quote this post
alby
post Apr 28 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,115
just seen this and i have a LOT of feelings

i agree with what other people here have said about black widow. she deserved a much better exit than that. i was also disappointed in that it seemed that the criticism of how the filmmakers dealt with gamora's death in infinity war (aka that her death only really served as character development for the male leads) applied equally to black widow's death in this

but i was so so happy to see nebula finally getting the screen time she deserves! i absolutely loved her in this and thought that her character arc was really well done so i'm thrilled to see her looking like she's going to be a proper member of GOTG from now on

overall i'd say that i really enjoyed this despite my couple of minor issues with it. i personally don't really care about them changing the timeline so much with time travel (i mean, comics are always changing continuity tbh), for me it's the emotional beats that are more important in the MCU and this took me through the whole spectrum of emotions and it felt really satisfying in a cathartic sort of way

+Quote this post
Sergej
post Apr 28 2019, 02:40 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Just saw it yesterday and WOW!
What a movie!
It's probably tied with the first Avengers movie as my favourite in the MCU.

This post has been edited by sergejdordij98: Apr 28 2019, 02:40 PM

+Quote this post
post Apr 28 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Froot:

I’ve seen a couple of people with ‘the why didn’t Nebula tell them about the soul stone’. She didn’t know. Nobody did. Gamora only knew when she got there that the sacrifice was needed and all Nebula knew was that Thanos killed Gamora while he was there. I assume she presumed he did it because Gamora tried to stop him. Natasha put two and two together when she said ‘Nebula told us he came back without his daughter’, after hearing Red Skull.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 28 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #53
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
1.2bn WW!!!!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Apr 28 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #54
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
For everyone who is confused on the logic of multiple timelines, Agents of SHIELD references the MCU a handful amount of times, and the guy who plays Deke (Fitzsimmons’ grandson) was promoted to series regular, thus implying that Deke still exists in the present timeline while they try to look for the Fitz in cryogenic sleep despite Daisy not destroying the world with her sonic blasts. Live-action Marvel is no stranger to time travel at this point.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Apr 28 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Cody... WOO! @ Apr 28 2019, 06:31 PM) *
For everyone who is confused on the logic of multiple timelines, Agents of SHIELD references the MCU a handful amount of times, and the guy who plays Deke (Fitzsimmons’ grandson) was promoted to series regular, thus implying that Deke still exists in the present timeline while they try to look for the Fitz in cryogenic sleep despite Daisy not destroying the world with her sonic blasts. Live-action Marvel is no stranger to time travel at this point.

yes that fits in with the new "anything goes" timeline rules - because Deke can only be born if events exactly match the original events - which they can't possibly, cos we are all just a specific sperm at a specific egg at a specific moment in time. Wait a day and suddenly it's not you it's your brother or sister who gets born as you disappear in a puff of waste product. Ewww! True though. Even if Simmons is already preggers events will still completely change and different people will live die and be born

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 28 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #56
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
I watch the show and tbh I forgot aboht that but that’s essentially further proving how illogical it all is as that is essentially appllying the OPPOSITE logic (they’ve gone forward in time and then go back, stop the thing happening, which is what they couldn’t do in the film. So essentially Agents of SHIELD is now not on the main timeline, but on a divergent one)

+Quote this post
kye
post Apr 28 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #57
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169
i saw this on friday + i am still reeling from the fact they killed off black widow before the last act.

not only was she the og female avenger but she was the SECOND woman thrown off a cliff by the russo brothers to act as a sacrifice + an expendable female character. the kick-ass girl power scene in the final fight had a glaring omission + that was natasha, they did her the absolute worst. she deserved to be fighting to the end.

the fact that iron man got the funeral, the tears, the moments and black widow got a few solemn looks at the ground was something that completely ruined the movie for me. even though i enjoyed the rest of it, all i could think of was her sacrifice.

i even stuck around in the hope that they’d thrown a red herring + that there’d be a post-credits scene of her drawing a breath when captain america had returned the stone. but nada.. i’m pissed.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 28 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #58
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
It’s like they realised they did her dirty and so felt forced to cave in and finally make the Black Widow film

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Apr 28 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(kye @ Apr 28 2019, 08:42 PM) *
i saw this on friday + i am still reeling from the fact they killed off black widow before the last act.

not only was she the og female avenger but she was the SECOND woman thrown off a cliff by the russo brothers to act as a sacrifice + an expendable female character. the kick-ass girl power scene in the final fight had a glaring omission + that was natasha, they did her the absolute worst. she deserved to be fighting to the end.

the fact that iron man got the funeral, the tears, the moments and black widow got a few solemn looks at the ground was something that completely ruined the movie for me. even though i enjoyed the rest of it, all i could think of was her sacrifice.

i even stuck around in the hope that they’d thrown a red herring + that there’d be a post-credits scene of her drawing a breath when captain america had returned the stone. but nada.. i’m pissed.

The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. You're completely right. Hawkeye is especially expendable, and him sacrificing himself for his family would have completed his arc in an emotional way that might have resonated with the 3 people that care about the character.

Natasha should have been able to actually succeed and carry on with her role as the head of the Avengers. Not this.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Apr 28 2019, 10:27 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Klaus @ Apr 28 2019, 10:11 PM) *
It’s like they realised they did her dirty and so felt forced to cave in and finally make the Black Widow film

Is anyone going to care about a prequel when we all know what happens to her? It's an odd choice. I really hope it isn't about her and Hawkeye...

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Apr 28 2019, 10:29 PM

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:05 AM