BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> HausofKubrick's top 30 Horror Films, horror is nothing other than reality.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post 31st March 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Ohhh I hate this one. I don't find the humour in that trilogy funny in the slightest :\\\\
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 31st March 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #22
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Seen that one! Great to see 'Shaun' here, always laugh so much and have watched it multiple times! Also agree with your best scene choice of the garden scene heart.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 31st March 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #23
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Completly agree with everything there heart.gif Those reasons are they reason why it is MY personal favourite film ever wub.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 1st April 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #24
Group icon
User: 13,007

Movies make psychos more creative!

27. Scream (1996)

A film that is inspired heavily by many other films still to come in the countdown, so naturally it had to shuffle down considerably because it does take so many elements from elsewhere. But still, as far as Scream goes as a standalone piece of horror cinema it's effective. Built around the concept of screaming and shocking the audience with expertly done build ups and blood-curling release it's a good homage to the slasher film genre. Not taking itself too seriously either, while it's far from my favourite slasher film I can't help but watch with unbridled anxiety and joy every time.

Best scene: Sidney's phone call mellow.gif had me terrified of answering the call for a while after and it summarises the meta-nature of the film very well.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 1st April 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #25
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I discovered Scream after seeing the fourth one in the cinema and it soon became one of my favourite franchises! I often enjoy whenever something is self-aware, which Scream does very well with all the rules of horror films (which is why I still need to see Deadpool mad.gif) but they still stand out as films in their own right.

+Quote this post
post 1st April 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Scream is a masterclass in horror, I think so many casual film viewers see it as quite a fun, but throwaway piece of horror, in similar vain to I Know What You Did Last Summer, but it's one of the most critically acclaimed horrors of the 90s, and it's so obvious why. I find Scream 2 almost as good, too.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 1st April 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #27
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

Scream has to be hands down my favourite horror franchise heart.gif Its self aware, yes, but thats the beauty of it heart.gif Most importantly you relate and love characters a lot more before they are killed off which is different for say the Saw franchise.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 1st April 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #28
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

Scream is absolutely fantastic wub.gif I feel like a Scream marathon on rabb.it has to happen! kink.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 1st April 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I would be WELL up for that Lotti.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st April 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #30
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Would also be up for that Lotti!

Only seen the first Scream (and the tv-spinoff show last year) and absolutely adored it! Was such an original and fantastic take on the horror genre and an all time classic so great to see that here also Haus wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st April 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #31
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042

27. Scream >> Amazing. One of my all time favourites for the reasons you stated! A perfectly executed scarefest. So many "Oh S--T!" moments! <<
28. Shaun Of the Dead >> Again. Another of my all time favourites. Everything else they've done doesn't come close. The perfect mix of comedy and some genuinely creepy moments. I think it's the reason why 'Cabin In The Woods' works so well, too! You don't have to be silly to be funny... *cough*Scary Movie*cough*<<
29. Night of the Living Dead >> Not seen the original, so can't comment. The remake however is ATROCIOUS! <<
30. The Orphanage >> Along with '[Rec]' & 'Martyrs' it's in my top 4 favourite non-English films. I prefer this to 'Pans Labyrinth' personally, a film which I find good, but overrated. If you've not seen the first two '[Rec]' movies & 'Martyrs' Bal, I'd highly recommend, although the latter is extremely hard to watch at times! <<

LOOOOOVING this so far <3 Looking forward to seeing where all the classics will end up!

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 1st April 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #32
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

I've always adored 'Scream' and it's easily my favourite franchise.

I adored the television series also and I'm already anticipating season 2 of the tv series. I'm very interested to see the winner because I adore horror films and I'll need to give your top 10 a watch.

This post has been edited by Wall: 1st April 2016, 03:18 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 1st April 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #33
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Love all of these that has dropped so far apart from 'The Orphanage' which I haven't seen yet.

'Night Of The Living Dead', I actually saw the 1990 remake before I saw this one and remember really enjoying that. Then when I heard of this and finally got round to seeing it, I really liked it. I love watching black and white horror movies, they're so creepy and tense. Also I really liked the ending to this, found it very bold, considering the time period it came out. But the 1990 version is also decent, while not on this level, but did find the Barbara character better in the remake as she's given more to do, instead of being tramatized.

'Shaun Of The Dead', Another firm favourite of mine, one of the best horror comedies of all time and very funny as well.

'Scream', Yes this is probably my alltime fave slasher movie, along with 'Friday The 13th', 'Halloween' & 'Cold Prey'. This really breathed new life into the genre that was thought to be dead by the 90's. Always remember wanting to see this as a child, and when I did, I watched it again straight after, which is something I've done with each Scream movie. Out of the lot, this is the best one that really set the bar, after that chilling opening with Drew Barrymore, who honestly I thought she was gonna be the main character, but takes a total U-turn and doing a Psycho on us (killing off the famous lead within' the first 15 minutes). The cast were fantastic in this, especially Courteney Cox who was awesome and loved the killer reveal, which did take me by surprise as I did figure out one of them and that garage scene, which was pretty slick and inventive at the time. Yes I'd say Scream is one of my all time favourite horror movies, just loved it.

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post 1st April 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #34
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969

Superb choices since I last commented heart.gif Scream in particular has grown into a real personal fave over the past ten years of my obsessive filmwatching, it's both so clever and witty AND genuinely scary, and the characters are so well drawn. Drew Barrymore's opening scene is one of the single best sequences in cinema for my book.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 1st April 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #35
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I will be following this closely as I trust you to have great taste in horror! Shaun of the Dead is one of my real favourites, one of the rare examples of horror parodies that really works as a film in it's own right as well as a parody, I love the clear British feel of it particularly, seems refreshing in a horror. Scream as well, works really well as a self aware horror, even if it did inspire that rubbish Scary Movie stuff.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 2nd April 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #36
Group icon

Thanks for the replies guys! Good to see a lot of love here for 'Scream'!

QUOTE(johnjo07 @ Apr 1 2016, 04:04 PM) *
30. The Orphanage >> Along with '[Rec]' & 'Martyrs' it's in my top 4 favourite non-English films. I prefer this to 'Pans Labyrinth' personally, a film which I find good, but overrated. If you've not seen the first two '[Rec]' movies & 'Martyrs' Bal, I'd highly recommend, although the latter is extremely hard to watch at times! <<

I have seen the [REC] films but not 'Martyrs' so i'll put that on my to-watch list! [REC] may or may not be still to come ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 2nd April 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Just how dangerous is he?

26. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Now from one of the most quintessentially HORROR horror films to one that isn't even considered to be in the horror genre (it fits more into thriller/western) but a film that terrifies me profusely. It has dropped a few places because there's only one aspect to the films horror but it had to make the list for that one reason alone. Javier Bardem's portrayal of Anton Chigurh is one of the most terrifying in cinema history. An all-encompassing villain, taking the most terrifying aspects of all the villains we love to hate and amalgamating them into a simple, yet menacing hitman. As he follows his victims across the (stunning) set, he commands attention and terror with every second he's on screen (and even most when he's not on screen). A truly phenomenal performance from a phenomenal film and included here for his performance as one of the most scary ever.

Best scene: The hotel scene and eventual showdown mellow.gif A masterclass in building tension and paranoia and fear (google that one scene if nothing else).

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 2nd April 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #38
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042

'No Country For Old Men' is one I really need to see. Heard so many amazing things about it!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th April 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #39
Group icon

Be me, for a while.

25. Let the Right One In (2008)

On to Sweden for the next one. From 2008 Let The Right One In is a beautifully terrifying flick. The lead roles, for such young actors especially, are sensational and really add to the grittiness of the film. It's a superb tale of wonder and intrigue. Makes me really want to read the book, because if the film does it even half the justice, it'd be a real page turner. The sets are glorious and haunting and the mood is intense throughout. The American version was actually a decent remake (as far as remakes go) but it wasn't as legitimately scary or as touching as this one.

Best scene: The final scene in the train. Beautiful ending to a beautiful film. mellow.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 4th April 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I prefer the remake. Sorry bout it.

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »