BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> thank u, sweet: THE RATE results, Complete - full results on page 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Jun 10 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

30 of you took part in the 'thank u, sweet' rate over the past 2 & half weeks. As of tomorrow all will start to unfold!

In the meantime, please feel free to predict away. What will the top 10 look like? and the bottom 5? What average did the winner receive? and what is the highest album track? So many questions! Alternatively, share what you wish the results would look like.

Results shall be brought to you by myself, Cameron, Joseph & Juliano. heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 10 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
HYPED.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 11 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded

27. 'pete davidson' // 4.73
lovin' it: blacksquare (9), Andrew. (8) / thank u, next: Jack (-1), jakewild, Cqmerqn & Theonix (0)

26. 'blazed' (feat. Pharrell Williams) // 5.51
lovin' it: Darwin Turrestson, digitalking (9) / thank u, next: jakewild, Cqmerqn (2)

25. 'the light is coming' (feat. Nicki Minaj) // 5.56
lovin' it: jakewild, Andrew. (10) / thank u, next: blacksquare, Cqmerqn, Doug, UltraMe! (-1)

Finishing rock bottom is 'pete davidson', an ode to Ariana's now ex-fiancé of the same name, the comedian and actor. I presume the reason this finished so low is because the song is even shorter than the length of their relationship! Although, the opening track of 'sweetener' is shorter than this and has avoided the bottom 3, so who knows. I guess it lacks the acapella charm of that. 'pete davidson' features romantic lyrics ("and i know that you're my soulmate and all that") and hopeful ones ("imma be happy"), it's a time capsule of these loved up whirlwind romance days. Ariana has understandably snubbed this song from her current world tour as her and Pete called it a day in October 2018. This isn't a particular highlight for me really, it's too short to be, but I do appreciate the strings and Ariana's dreamy vocal delivery of a happy time in her life. This was the final song recorded for 'Sweetener' but the first song to drop out from that album in this rate.

Next up in 26th is the first full-length song and collab to drop out - 'blazed' featuring Pharrell Williams. If you were wondering why this has flopped, I think the answer is in that last sentence! On this forum (and a fair bit elsewhere on the internet tbh) it's very common to have the opinion that Pharrell's production dragged down 'sweetener', following the introduction to the era with a Max Martin creation. Not only do we have Williams' production but also vocals here, further fuelling the flames of the Pharrell haters. I feel like Pharrell's production is not quite as out there here, unlike on the title track and 'the light is coming', it's a fairly chilled album track by his standards really. Ariana's airy accompanying vocals match well with this vibe. I don't think I would've expected this to do quite this badly, but perhaps it just blended in a bit too much with the other Pharrell songs and failed to be a highlight as a result. I'm a fan anyhow. ‘Sweetener' taking a real hit so far!

Rounding off this bottom three is yet another 'sweetener' song, this time 'the light is coming'. I cannot believe it avoided last place or even second last with FOUR -1 scores! It was just too polarising to do any worse as it did receive a fair amount of high scores as well, including a 9 from me. It's a bop okay! This is a noisy Pharrell produced song and Ariana's fifth collaboration with Nicki Minaj. However, Ariana revealed in an interview with The Fader that she auditioned a whopping eight different rappers before turning to Nicki! It's thought that one of them was Skepta. I personally find Nicki's part highly inessential so I don't even think this needed a rapper really. This song premiered to mixed reactions, on BuzzJack specifically it was deemed a momentum killer after the triumphant 'no tears left to cry'. As much as I enjoy this song, it thankfully was not quite the second single, despite getting a music video, instead that honour went to 'God is a woman'. We all saw how badly this did in AF Idol okay! Oops. Nicki is 'cancelled' nowadays, but the element that seems to put people off more than anything else isn't her, it's a looped sample from a CNN clip of a man shouting at a senator, who says: "You wouldn't let anybody speak for this and instead…” in the background of this song over... and over... and over again. I personally got used to the sample fairly quickly but I can understand why it would be jarring as it is such a prominent part of the song, distracting from Ariana herself. Perhaps this would've done better without that part. My highlight of the song is Ariana's quick-fire delivery of the bridge.

sweetener: 03/15
thank u, next: 0/12

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 11 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Honestly kinda amazed that TLIC isn't last :')

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 11 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I think 'The Light Is Coming' gets too much of a hard time on here, it's not her best song by any means but it's still a bop!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 12 2019, 12:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
TLIC is better than most like to suggest it is, but if the hook was about 3 lines shorter each time, it woulda been better imo.

The other 2 tracks are among the weakest on Sweetener so I'm not surprised to see them so low. 'blazed' should be better than it is. It just feels boring.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jun 12 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
All three are dreadful, especially TLIC. Good riddance to all x

Hopefully the results will continue being this good *.*

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Jun 12 2019, 03:10 AM
Post #8
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
TLIC deserves to be (a bit) higher but Blazed and Pete being last isn’t surprising tbh. Blazed is alright but yeah nothing special at all

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Jun 12 2019, 01:49 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454
Can't say I'm shocked at that result, I perhaps didn't think 'blazed' would do this badly, but only by a couple of places tbh.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Jun 12 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

24. 'raindrops (an angel cried)' // 6.4
lovin' it: Jonjo, ...ready for it (10) / thank u, next: jakewild (3)

23. 'make up' // 6.45
lovin' it: LMLous (10) / thank u, next: coi (2)

Up next we have a 30 second short acapella piece by Ariana which features as the introductory piece to Sweetener. Ari's vocals are hauntingly beautiful on this track with the underlying theme of her emotions towards the Manchester Arena bombing that had taken place the previous year.

At 23 we have the first track from 'thank u, next' to drop out... 'make up'! This track received generally mixed reviews from the voters in the rate. I can definitely see why. The production is a bit of a mess but the actual vocals are splendid, hence why I gave it a 7. However, when writing my commentary I have been listening to the album again and I feel that maybe my score is too high. Is the song up there with classic album tracks from the first 3 eras? No! Is it better than half the Pharell tracks on Sweetener? Yes.

sweetener: 04/15
thank u, next: 01/12

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 12 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I hold 'raindrops (an angel cried)' in similar regard to 'The National Manthem' by Little Mix, a beautiful sounding acapella opening to the album, but it needs to be longer than just an intro so I can form a proper connection with it! I do agree that her vocals sound haunting though due to the subject matter and because she's a crazily good vocalist anyway. I'm still not over how brilliant this acapella version of 'Dangerous Woman' is. More acapella Ari please *.*

'make up' is my least favourite on 'thank u, next' so I'm glad that's the first song to drop from that record. It's not bad, but is the least stand out song on the album for me.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jun 12 2019, 05:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Raindrops deserves to be WAY higher cry.gif Idc how short it is, it's beautiful heart.gif

I'd probs have Make Up a couple of places higher as well haha

+Quote this post
coi
post Jun 12 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
No objections to the way things are going so far!

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jun 12 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
Raindrops below needy? Nah

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 12 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #15
Group icon
User: 13,007
The Light is Coming is still a fun listen, ya'll have done it so dirty! Not many other complaints, hoping the next few tracks out are TUN ones though x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 12 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Neither of those are huge losses but raindrops is a gorgeous intro!

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post Jun 13 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

22. 'R.E.M.' // 6.46
lovin' it: (10) blacksquare, Nick F1 / thank u next: 365, jakewild, Bré, UltraME! (2)

21. 'better off' // 6.46
lovin' it: (10) Andrew, blacksquare, digitalking / thank u, next: Dexton (-1), LM Lou (3)

Before entering the top 20, we have a tie between two 'sweetener' tracks, however the latter here received more 10s, giving it the advantage. Interestingly 'better off' received a (-1), whilst R.E.M's lowest score was (2)... but four of them!?

Speaking of which, at #22 is one of my personal favourite album tracks, super chill, it almost gives me festive vibes. I personally would have loved to see it as the winter single from sweetener, however of course Ari quickly moved on to her next project. The song was originally recorded, intended to be a part of Beyoncé's 2013 self-titled album, under the working title of "Wake Up". I'm slightly shocked to see this one so low, since it seemed to be an early on favourite for many from sweetener. To be fair, there is a lot of hefty competiton!

Out next, just missing out on a place in the top 20, is the (only) "true" ballad from 'sweetener; 'better off', is a beautifully produced and delivered track, that has been a massive grower to me over the past few months. It's theme is about ending a toxic relationship. Ari has stated that it is one of her favourite tracks from the album.

So... so far we've only lost 1 track from thank, u next!

sweetener: 06/15

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 13 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Oh 'Better Off' is way too low sad.gif it's not the easiest listen ever due to the subject matter but sonically it's gorgeous.

'R.E.M.' is finally starting to click with me a bit more thanks to watching a couple of live performances of it, the verses feel like a bit of a moment when she performs it. Still one of my least favourite songs from 'sweetener' though so I'm not mad about that position. Still need to hear the Beyoncé version! ohmy.gif

'sweetener' continuing to take quite a hit oops!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 14 2019, 05:12 PM
Post #19
Group icon

20. 'borderline' // 6.51
lovin' it: (11) HausofTove / thank u next: 365 (1)

19. 'successful' // 6.71
lovin' it: (10) LewisGT, digitalking / thank u, next: Theonix (-1)

Another two from Sweetener drop out as we head into the top 20. The first is a collaboration with Missy Elliott in the form of borderline, a song that seems to split fans down the middle, as shown by its polarising scores above. Some absolutely love it, yet it fails to make an impact on others. Personally? I'm somewhere down the middle, not a huge loss for me but I'll bop when it comes on!

successful is also out in this section, which is a song I definitely prefer. It's catchy and memorable but also polarising - perhaps even more so than borderline as it received a score of -1 from Theo! ohmy.gif Doesn't stop it managing to finish higher though, so despite a lower peak and also a lower low, you lot prefer successful to borderline.

sweetener: 08/15

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 14 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #20
Group icon
User: 13,007
'borderline' is easily one of the best songs on these albums. 365 taste is questionable!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:14 PM