BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Velvet Rope ● 20 years on, Janet's seminal album turns 20!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Oct 7 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

20 years ago, Janet Jackson released what would go on to be one of her most important, well-loved and celebrated albums: The Velvet Rope. Experimental and personal, it became a "template for pop rebels" and a masterclass in how to break the rules and deliver a message with unequivocal might. 20 years on, the album still moves listeners, shocks them and elevates them.

What do you think of this timeless album? How does it compare to Janet's other projects? Do you still return to it?

A must-read article on the anniversary of the album: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/oct/...hole-generation and how it has inspired many of the urban albums we listen to today from the likes of Rihanna, SZA and more.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Oct 7 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
Incredible album, it’s so ahead of its time it would fit in if it was released today.

“Empty” is one of my favourite songs by her.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 7 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007
'Empty' is all sorts of beautiful wub.gif 'Together Again' is my all-time favourite Janet song and this my favourite album from her. It's one of the most consistently strong albums i've heard and every track offers something quite special.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Oct 7 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I loved this album when it was released but haven't listened in quite a while... I always thought that Got 'Til It's Gone was amazing and very overlooked. This and 'Janet' both have some very special moments.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Oct 8 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
What an album

This and control are my fav Janet albums .

Special , Rope Burn and What About are my faves along with the singles .

Everytime was an odd single choice for me tho.

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Oct 8 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
QUOTE(WitchHaus @ Oct 7 2017, 09:43 PM) *
'Empty' is all sorts of beautiful wub.gif 'Together Again' is my all-time favourite Janet song and this my favourite album from her. It's one of the most consistently strong albums i've heard and every track offers something quite special.

“Together Again” is the song that got me into Janet, it’s one of my faves and really special to me for that reason wub.gif I agree, I was trying to rank the tracks and I realised it doesn’t have a single bad song on it

I actually love “Every Time” it’s a beautiful ballad, I’m glad it was a single so we have the video wub.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:29 AM