BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> john's 1990 charts, Madchester, raves. Apparently.....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 14th July 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 13 2019, 09:00 PM) *
A lot of classics here,

'Tom's Diner' is very nice. It has those 'lounge vibes' to it! 'Where Are You Baby' and 'Groove is In The Heart' are cheesy but both fun disco influenced tunes. Betty Boo's put-on voice in the middle part of 'Doin the Do' does remind me a bit of a bit early 10s Nicki Minaj so Mrs Boo might have been ahead of her time! 'Show Me Heaven', another one of those rather cheesy synthpop love ballads that apparently were a trend in the late 80s and early 90s. I do think it's one of the better of them though. Elton's Sacrifice I have a soft spot for as I used to hear it played a few times at my local cafe when i was younger (they must have had it on their playlist). Very nice song , I like the synths in it. 'What Time Is Love' is very good, I only discovered The KLF a year or so ago when reading the 90s dance number 1s thread on Buzzjack. My favorite KLF song is 'Last train to Trancentral' which was featured recently in BJSC Legends. 'Rockin Over The Beat' further up the page is easily my favourite Technotronic song, it has a bit more emotion to it I think than their other singles. 'Life's What You Make It' is another good track from Talk Talk, I like the guitar in it particularly. And finally, 'I've Been Thinking About You' just entering your chart lower down! It's a very charming song. It does remind me of Fine Young Cannibals, the Londonbeat singer does sound a bit like their vocalist I think.

I see earlier in this thread that the 49ers Touch me was a big #2 hit for you, great tune, with one of the best uses of pitched vocals in a dance song, there have been some awful uses of pitched vocals in chart dance songs this decade! Their follow up 'Don't You Love Me' is great too.

Hi Snakey, smile.gif

yes I love Tom's Diner, the DNA version is way better than the original acapella. Betty was a bit of fun, ditto Deee-Lite and their retro60's vibes mashed-up in 90's. Betty was originally based on the comic character Betty Boop but she had to drop the "p" for legal reasons - I think Universal owned it - the theme park in Spain Portaventura still sells the merchandise and has the sub-Disney costumed-staff strolling about laugh.gif

Sacrifice topped my chart in 1989 when Elton couldn't sell records to save his life - even though he was doing great stuff. By the time it became a monster hit and topped my charts again I entered an OD-on-it phase that I haven't come out of yet laugh.gif It's still nice though. KLF were my top dance act of 1992, no question, just fab. Check out the early very un-KLF Kylie Said To Jason which is tuneful and hilarious, I loved it smile.gif

Londonbeat's Jimmy Helms had a terrific vocal range - you can hear it on his 1973 hit Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse. The song's a bit average these days, but he hits those notes! Agree about vocal pitching, it's quite the cliche these days and I turn off most songs that do it. I love originality in music, and new sounds, but when everyone jumps on the bandwagon it's time to kill it off....!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th July 2019, 09:26 AM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 14 2019, 12:14 AM) *
I remember the Craig DAvid one as I was into him at the time.

Playing it now out of curiosity, it's sounds vaguely familiar and mildly pleasant but I remember his earlier chart-topper for me (Walkin' Away) and later chart-topper (Hot Stuff) much better. I think it was the jazz-vibe warbling that put me off laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd January 2020, 02:32 PM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

16th September 1990

It's a first week on top for the fab Bass-O-Matic aka William Orbit + Dizzy's rhythm track (the Tommy Roe actual-first-single-I-ever-bought), it does what it says on the tin rhythm-wise. The Detroit Spinners 1973 Philly soul classic is back in the top 5, The KLF get a first top 20, and the highest new entry is (natch) from the Pet Shop Boys who are so hard. Ironic as ever eh, lads? Lead single off forthcoming album Behaviour, it set up expectations for jolly catchy pop. Oops, so not! Actually, my least fave single from them to date, but everything is relative, I was very much a big fan by then, going to see them on their debut tour and all.

Janet Jackson and INXS have big climbs into the 20, and Bobby Vinton debuts at 20 with the moody early 60's US hit, Blue Velvet, a UK hit at long last due to the film. A bit of a teen crooner, I knew little about him or the tune till the film, but hey, it's great! Caron Wheeler gets her own top 40 single, minus Soul II Soul, Londonbeat rocket up to 28, and AC/DC return with one of their best non-Bon-Scott tracks, Thunderstruck at 37 giving them 12 years of chart entries - or 18 years for Brian Johnson including Geordie tracks.

Depeche Mode get a 3rd charting track off the album, World In Your Eyes straight into the 40, off their chart-topper, as Beats International return with Burundi Blues. The Farm debut, chugging along on their Groovy Train, very Madchester in tone, The Christians make it 5 years of chartness, Bell Biv Devoe return to keep the New Edition flag flying 7 years on, but never as high profile as Bobby Brown of course. Red Hot Chili Peppers debut with Higher Ground - the 1973 Stevie Wonder gem - though later in the decade they opt for lower ground (in fact under the bridge), and The Stone Roses pop in quietly with the song of the Madchester movement, Fool's Gold. Very pleasant and all, but the reverence for it, and them, has always passed me by a bit. Finally, Electribe 101 sneak in at 76 - the extended chart due to me forgetting about Mariah Carey and adding her in afterwards. Punchlines insert here....and I'll just say that the adoration for Mariah in US chart-terms has also always passed me by too, give or take half-a-dozen tracks.

1 ( 2 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
2 ( 1 ) PRAYING FOR TIME George Michael
3 ( 3 ) GROOVE IS IN THE HEART Deee-Lite
4 ( 6 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
5 ( 12 ) GHETTO CHILD (REMIX) The Detroit Spinners
6 ( 4 ) WHERE ARE YOU BABY Betty Boo
7 ( 5 ) LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/ DANGEROUS Roxette
8 ( 8 ) THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE Prince
9 ( 7 ) RIDING INTO BLUE Inga
10 ( 10 ) TOM’S DINER DNA featuring Suzanne Vega

11 ( 9 ) KING OF WISHFUL THINKING Go West
12 ( 14 ) LET IT ALL HANG OUT ’90 Jonathan King AKA JK25
13 ( 13 ) LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT Talk Talk
14 ( 26 ) WHAT TIME IS LOVE The KLF
15 ( 16 ) ICE BLINK LUCK Cocteau Twins
16 ( NEW ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
17 ( 11 ) HEART LIKE A WHEEL Human League
18 ( 31 ) BLACK CAT Janet Jackson
19 ( 38 ) SUICIDE BLONDE INXS
20 ( NEW ) BLUE VELVET Bobby Vinton

21 ( 28 ) LA SERENISSIMA DNA
22 ( 21 ) THE JOKER The Steve Miller Band
23 ( 23 ) RHTHYM OF THE RAIN Jason Donovan
24 ( 15 ) NEXT TO YOU Aswad
25 ( 27 ) NOTHING TO LOSE S’Express
26 ( 33 ) MELODY COOL Mavis Staples
27 ( 47 ) LIVIN’ IN THE LIGHT Caron Wheeler
28 ( 76 ) I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
29 ( 17 ) END OF THE WORLD Sonia
30 ( 19 ) COME TOGETHER Primal Scream

31 ( 29 ) WHY CAN’T WE LIVE TOGETHER (1990 TK REMIX) Timmy Thomas
32 ( 18 ) I’LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN Deacon Blue
33 ( 22 ) STEPPIN’ OUT Joe Jackson
34 ( 36 ) EPIC Faith No More
35 ( 34 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle
36 ( 32 ) I’M FREE The Soup Dragons featuring Junior Reid
37 ( NEW ) THUNDERSTRUCK AC/DC
38 ( NEW ) WORLD IN MY EYES Depeche Mode
39 ( 25 ) ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK (BEN LIEBRAND REMIX) Sting
40 ( 40 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John

41 ( 20 ) VISION OF LOVE Mariah Carey
42 ( 35 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
43 ( 42 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
44 ( 43 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
45 ( NEW ) BURUNDI BLUES Beats International
46 ( 39 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
47 ( 50 ) PEACE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD Maxi Priest
48 ( 48 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
49 ( NEW ) GROOVY TRAIN The Farm
50 ( 41 ) YOU WOULDN’T KNOW LOVE Cher

51 ( 49 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
52 ( 24 ) TURTLE POWER Partners In Kryme
53 ( 37 ) TONIGHT New Kids On The Block
54 ( NEW ) GREENBANK DRIVE The Christians
55 ( 58 ) TERRIFYING The Rolling Stones
56 ( 56 ) HARD TO HANDLE The Black Crowes
57 ( 53 ) ALRIGHT (UK/USA versions) Janet Jackson
58 ( 55 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
59 ( 45 ) RELEASE ME Wilson Philips
60 ( 59 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode

61 ( 62 ) LOVE AND AFFECTION Sinitta
62 ( 68 ) DON’T BE A FOOL Loose Ends
63 ( 63 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
64 ( 60 ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys
65 ( 64 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
66 ( NEW ) DO ME Bell Biv Devoe
67 ( 44 ) BLAZE OF GLORY Jon Bon Jovi
68 ( 30 ) IN THE BACK OF MY MIND Fleetwood Mac
69 ( 67 ) PERSONAL JESUS Depeche Mode
70 ( NEW ) HIGHER GROUND Red Hot Chili Peppers

71 ( 75 ) THE SPACE JUNGLE Adamaski
72 ( 73 ) WAY DOWN NOW World Party
73 ( 46 ) SILHOUETTES Cliff Richard
74 ( NEW ) FOOL’S GOLD The Stone Roses
75 ( 51 ) CLUB AT THE END OF THE STREET/ WHISPERS Elton John
76 ( NEW ) YOU’RE WELCOME Electribe 101

Playlist/ Oldies
1 LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE (album) George Michael
2 REPUTATION (album) Dusty Springfield
3 THE DEFINITIVE HIT ALBUM VOL 3 Cliff Richard

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th January 2020, 08:00 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

23rd September 1990

It's a first week on top for Maria McKee, just beating out Deee-Lite who sadly peak at 2. It's not Maria's first chart-topper - she also wrote Feargal Sharkey's fab 1985 cover of A Good Heart, and presides over a hectic chart of 18 new or re-entries, loads of big droppers and climbers, and all because I was in Paris this week with 2 mates, sampling the Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, The Louvre and so on. We were sat eating near the Notre Dame and heard a loud bang, like gunfire. When we left I noticed what looked like a whole trail of fresh drops of blood over the footpath on the bridge. Not saying it WAS a shooting, just saying it was a bit odd...

Anyway, that's why Bananarama re-enter to a new peak with Only Your Love, at 11, it was the song of the holiday for me, along with new track and European hit, What's A Woman by Vaya Con Dios. Other re-entries are due to that too. Pet Shop Boys are so hard at 5, co-incidentally they are 5 in my current charts still having some Money Business. Consistency. Londonbeat go top 10, and Snap! have the highest new entry with Cult Of Snap, proving they got the power! AC/DC are Thunderstruck to be at 12 in my charts, only Touch Too Much from the Bon Scott days had been higher, a decade before.

Africa, Toto's 1983 number 2, has proved to be a perennial seller and golden oldie in the 21st century for some reason, appealing to new generations of music fans. I blame Steve Wright playing it week-in week-out on his radio shows for the last 37 years, but at any rate I can claim to be ahead of the game as it comes back at 20. Captain Hollywood debuts, Kim Wilde gets 9 years of top 30 entries at 29 and also is in my current chart at 21 with a spot of Xmas Hope. Consistency. I'm loyal! Another veteran, Billy Idol, pops in 11 years on with LA Woman.

Kylie turns a critical corner, is influenced by INXS' Michael Hutchence, and revamps herself into a disco diva with the classic Better The Devil You Know in at 33. It's still SAW behind it, but the adult image and gutsier dance-style is the main reason she's still hear today getting chart-topping albums and sell-out tours. I didn;t know that then, of course, I just thought it was a great move away from disposable kiddiepop. Don Pablo covers a Doobie Brothers classic, just ahead of a Bananarama much-better cover version and the Doobie's own better remix, Paul Simon returns with a goodie, The Obvious Child, some 18 years since his first solo, and 21 years since Simon & Garfunkel were high in my charts. Monie Love does a decent cover of a Spinners soul goodie, and MC Hammer actually murders another soul classic. U Can't Touch This? If only he hadn't touched Have You Seen Her!

1 ( 4 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
2 ( 3 ) GROOVE IS IN THE HEART Deee-Lite
3 ( 1 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
4 ( 2 ) PRAYING FOR TIME George Michael
5 ( 16 ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
6 ( 5 ) GHETTO CHILD (REMIX) The Detroit Spinners
7 ( 10 ) TOM’S DINER DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
8 ( 6 ) WHERE ARE YOU BABY Betty Boo
9 ( 28 ) I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
10 ( NEW ) CULT OF SNAP Snap!

11 ( RE ) ONLY YOUR LOVE Bananarama
12 ( 37 ) THUNDERSTRUCK AC/DC
13 ( 8 ) THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE Prince
14 ( 9 ) RIDING INTO BLUE Inga
15 ( 19 ) SUICIDE BLONDE INXS
16 ( 7 ) LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/ DANGEROUS Roxette
17 ( 12 ) LET IT ALL HANG OUT ’90 Jonathan King AKA JK25
18 ( 20 ) BLUE VELVET Bobby Vinton
19 ( 11 ) KING OF WISHFUL THINKING Go West
20 ( NEW ) AFRICA Toto

21 ( 21 ) LA SERENISSIMA DNA
22 ( 13 ) LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT Talk Talk
23 ( NEW ) WHAT’S A WOMAN Vaya Con Dios
24 ( 14 ) WHAT TIME IS LOVE The KLF
25 ( NEW ) I CAN’T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood
26 ( 27 ) LIVIN’ IN THE LIGHT Caron Wheeler
27 ( 18 ) BLACK CAT janet Jackson
28 ( 15 ) ICE BLINK LUCK Cocteau Twins
29 ( NEW ) CAN’T GET ENOUGH Kim Wilde
30 ( RE ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40

31 ( 17 ) HEART LIKE A WHEEL Human League
32 ( 34 ) EPIC Faith No More
33 ( NEW ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
34 ( 25 ) NOTHING TO LOSE S’Express
35 ( 31 ) WHY CAN’T WE LIVE TOGETHER (1990 TK REMIX) Timmy Thomas
36 ( 45 ) BURUNDI BLUES Beats International
37 ( 49 ) GROOVY TRAIN The Farm
38 ( 38 ) WORLD IN MY EYES Depeche Mode
39 ( 35 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle
40 ( 22 ) THE JOKER The Steve Miller Band

41 ( 40 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
42 ( 43 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
43 ( 24 ) NEXT TO YOU Aswad
44 ( 44 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
45 ( 36 ) I’M FREE The Soup Dragons featuring Junior Reid
46 ( 42 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
47 ( 48 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
48 ( NEW ) TUNES SPLITS THE ATOM MC Tunes vs 808 State
49 ( 33 ) STEPPIN’ OUT Joe Jackson
50 ( 54 ) GREENBANK DRIVE The Christians

51 ( 51 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
52 ( 39 ) ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK (BEN LIEBRAND REMIX) Sting
53 ( NEW ) LONG TRAIN RUNNIN’ Don Pablo’s Animals
54 ( 26 ) MELODY COOL Mavis Staples
55 ( NEW ) THEN The Charlatans
56 ( NEW ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE Sydney Youngblood
57 ( 46 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
58 ( 74 ) FOOL’S GOLD The Stone Roses
59 ( NEW ) THE OBVIOUS CHILD Paul Simon
60 ( 23 ) RHTHYM OF THE RAIN Jason Donovan

61 ( 60 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
62 ( 57 ) ALRIGHT (UK/USA versions) Janet Jackson
63 ( 66 ) DO ME Bell Biv Devoe
64 ( 63 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
65 ( 50 ) YOU WOULDN’T KNOW LOVE Cher
66 ( NEW ) IT’S A SHAME (MY SISTER) Monie Love featuring True Image
67 ( 58 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
68 ( 30 ) COME TOGETHER Primal Scream
69 ( NEW ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER MC Hammer
70 ( 65 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush

71 ( 56 ) HARD TO HANDLE The Black Crowes
72 ( NEW ) SO CLOSE Daryl Hall & John Oates
73 ( 64 ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys
74 ( NEW ) COLD HEARTED (REMIX) Paula Abdul
75 ( NEW ) LA WOMAN Billy Idol

OLDIES PLAYLIST CHART
1 SHE’S A MYSTERY TO ME Roy Orbison
2 NOTHIN’ COMPARES 2 U Sinead O’Connor
3 LOVE SHACK The B52’s

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 24th January 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 12 2019, 08:27 PM) *
I always consider Englishman in New York to be Stings most famous song as I remember it being played everywhere at the time but it only charted top 15 officially didn't it?!

Think it's his most well known solo song.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 24th January 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jan 24 2020, 08:00 PM) *
1 SHE’S A MYSTERY TO ME Roy Orbison

Hi John. I take it you know the Roy Orbison album Mystery Girl? What a great album that I still play a lot. My fave track is California Blue but the whole album is great from start to finish.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 24th January 2020, 10:10 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 24th January 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Never really much liked Show Me Heaven. Never knew Maria wrote A Good Heart.

The Obvious Child was a great first track from Paul Simon's Rhythm Of The Saints album which didn't do anywhere near as well as the classic Graceland album.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 24th January 2020, 10:13 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th January 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Jan 24 2020, 10:10 PM) *
Hi John. I take it you know the Roy Orbison album Mystery Girl? What a great album that I still play a lot. My fave track is California Blue but the whole album is great from start to finish.

Hi Chris, yes I love that album wub.gif It's so sad and yet so right that he went out on a high point in his career. You Got It topped my charts.

I preferred The Obvious Child to You Can Call Me Al as a first single, though I think I'm in a minority there laugh.gif I always thought Graceland was a tad over-rated, it was pleasant throughout, and great to have the South African links at that troubled time, but I still loved his older 60's and 70's stuff more.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 25th January 2020, 08:46 AM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

so you're also doing 1990 in addition to 1988?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th January 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 25 2020, 08:46 AM) *
so you're also doing 1990 in addition to 1988?

It's been "work in progress" for about 3 or 4 years but I never get the time to keep on with it, along with 1970, 1975, 1980, 1995 which are all almost 75% done transferring from pencil notepads to spreadsheets laugh.gif

As I've already digitised 1988 that's much quicker to post and to change to weeklies, and 1989 is already done and posted in Throwback in that weekly format so I will have a complete set from 1984 through 1990 by the end of 2020. Fingers-crossed!

Years left to be digitised onto spreadsheets: 1971/1972, 1976/77, 1981/82, 1991/92, 1996/97...

smile.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 25th January 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I really like the 1988 format of posting once per week following it in real time

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th January 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 25 2020, 12:36 PM) *
I really like the 1988 format of posting once per week following it in real time

Thanks, yes it seems to work better matching the actual time of the year, maybe I'll get back in alignment later in the year with other years than 1988 smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 31st May 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

30th September 1990

It's a 2 week on top for Maria McKee as Bobby Vinton's Blue Velvet, almost 30 years old, hits the top 10 - a track I'd never heard of before the reissue - and Captain Hollywood can't stand it that he's at 10. Keeping up with the plethora of oldies (I've ALWAYS liked oldies!) The Animals 25+-year-old classic enters at 16, to give them a second chart entry 18 years after House Of The Rising Sun was a 1972 hit all over again. Monie Love's cover of The Detroit Spinners 20-year-old hit shoots into the 40, just ahead of The Charlatans Next hit.

Highest new track is Hi Tek 3 featuring the actual voice of Pump Up The Jam, Ya Kid K, in at 34, with Belinda back with an instant top 40, cos We Want The Same Thing - Ms. Carlisle back on form! The Cure drop in with Never enough at 51, for a decade of entries since their debut, The Soup Dragons follow-up with Mother Universe, Cliff covers From A Distance as I demonstrate in my playlist oldies that I prefer his early 70's tracks, and 1972 Supercop movie theme Superfly is revamped by Curtis Mayfield with added Ice-T. Elton drops in with a lesser track after his monster chart-topper.

1 ( 1 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
2 ( 3 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
3 ( 5 ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
4 ( 2 ) GROOVE IS IN THE HEART Deee-Lite
5 ( 10 ) CULT OF SNAP Snap!
6 ( 4 ) PRAYING FOR TIME George Michael
7 ( 6 ) GHETTO CHILD (REMIX) The Detroit Spinners
8 ( 9 ) I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
9 ( 18 ) BLUE VELVET Bobby Vinton
10 ( 25 ) I CAN’T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood

11 ( 12 ) THUNDERSTRUCK AC/DC
12 ( 20 ) AFRICA Toto
13 ( 7 ) TOM’S DINER DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
14 ( 8 ) WHERE ARE YOU BABY Betty Boo
15 ( 15 ) SUICIDE BLONDE INXS
16 ( NEW ) WE’VE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE The Animals
17 ( 13 ) THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE Prince
18 ( 11 ) ONLY YOUR LOVE Bananarama
19 ( 14 ) RIDING INTO BLUE Inga
20 ( 16 ) LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/ DANGEROUS Roxette

21 ( 17 ) LET IT ALL HANG OUT ’90 Jonathan King AKA JK25
22 ( 19 ) KING OF WISHFUL THINKING Go West
23 ( 29 ) CAN’T GET ENOUGH Kim Wilde
24 ( 24 ) WHAT TIME IS LOVE The KLF
25 ( 26 ) LIVIN’ IN THE LIGHT Caron Wheeler
26 ( 30 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
27 ( 66 ) IT’S A SHAME (MY SISTER) Monie Love featuring True Image
28 ( 55 ) THEN The Charlatans
29 ( 22 ) LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT Talk Talk
30 ( 40 ) THE JOKER The Steve Miller Band

31 ( 21 ) LA SERENISSIMA DNA
32 ( 38 ) WORLD IN MY EYES Depeche Mode
33 ( 33 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
34 ( NEW ) SPIN THAT WHEEL Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K
35 ( 50 ) GREENBANK DRIVE The Christians
36 ( 37 ) GROOVY TRAIN The Farm
37 ( 35 ) WHY CAN’T WE LIVE TOGETHER (1990 TK REMIX) Timmy Thomas
38 ( 23 ) WHAT’S A WOMAN Vaya Con Dios
39 ( NEW ) (WE WANT) THE SAME THING Belinda Carlisle
40 ( 39 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle

41 ( 41 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
42 ( 31 ) HEART LIKE A WHEEL Human League
43 ( 42 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
44 ( 32 ) EPIC Faith No More
45 ( 44 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
46 ( 48 ) TUNES SPLITS THE ATOM MC Tunes vs 808 State
47 ( 27 ) BLACK CAT janet Jackson
48 ( 47 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
49 ( 34 ) NOTHING TO LOSE S’Express
50 ( 28 ) ICE BLINK LUCK Cocteau Twins

51 ( NEW ) NEVER ENOUGH The Cure
52 ( 51 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
53 ( 53 ) LONG TRAIN RUNNIN’ Don Pablo’s Animals
54 ( 46 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
55 ( 36 ) BURUNDI BLUES Beats International
56 ( 45 ) I’M FREE The Soup Dragons featuring Junior Reid
57 ( 49 ) STEPPIN’ OUT Joe Jackson
58 ( 58 ) FOOL’S GOLD The Stone Roses
59 ( 59 ) THE OBVIOUS CHILD Paul Simon
60 ( 43 ) NEXT TO YOU Aswad

61 ( NEW ) MOTHER UNIVERSE The Soup Dragons
62 ( 61 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
63 ( 72 ) SO CLOSE Daryl Hall & John Oates
64 ( 64 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
65 ( 62 ) ALRIGHT (UK/USA versions) Janet Jackson
66 ( 74 ) COLD HEARTED (REMIX) Paula Abdul
67 ( 67 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
68 ( NEW ) FROM A DISTANCE Cliff Richard
69 ( 57 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
70 ( 70 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush

71 ( 54 ) MELODY COOL Mavis Staples
72 ( NEW ) SUPERFLY 1990 Curtis Mayfield & Ice-T
73 ( NEW ) YOU GOT TO LOVE SOMEONE Elton John
74 ( 65 ) YOU WOULDN’T KNOW LOVE Cher
75 ( 73 ) WOULDN’T IT BE NICE The Beach Boys

playlist oldies
1 LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE (album) George Michael
2 LIVING IN HARMONY Cliff Richard
3 TAKE ME HIGH Cliff Richard

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd October 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

7th October 1990

It's a first week on top for Pet Shop Boys' So Hard, the only upbeat dance track off the new album Behaviour and their 10th chart-topper, with at least another 3 they've written and produced. Highest new entry is the latest cut from current fave album Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1, George Michael's gorgeous Waiting For The Day in at 4, closely chased by the latest remixed single from Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation album, Love Will Never Do Without You in at 8 - though the album version is the best version as always with this album. The UK dance scene required Housed-up versions when the Jam & Lewis versions were perfect as envisioned.

Paul Simon rockets up with The Obvious Child to 12, fab rhythmically that one, and gives him 18 years of solo top 20's and 21 years including Garfunkel days, as The Charlatans make it two top 20's in a row. Kim Wilde is also back in the 20 9 years from debut, and still making my charts in 2020, while a-ha enter at 17 with their great cover of the old Everley Brothers gem for 5 years and counting since Take On Me. Belinda Carlisle's run of non-stop biggies rolls on with We Want The Same Thing up to 18, and a bunch of tracks enter in the 30's: Tina Turner wants her baby to be tender, Aztec Camera hook up with The Clash's Mick Jones, ex of Big Audio Dynamite, making 7 years for Roddy Frame & 12 years for Mick. Jeff Lynne follows-up his solo biggie at 39, and Paul McCartney covers his own Birthday, in a live version I think.

MC Hammer re-enters into the 40 with his murder of the Chi-Lites classic, Have You Seen Her, and The Soup Dragons rocket through Mother Universe up to 25. Lower down Stevie Wonder keeps the minor hits trotting out with no danger of returning to old top 40 days, Quo go all karaoke, both of them Class of 1968 in decline, Michael Bolton is a soul provider, New Kids On The Block join in the classic soul murdering, this time The Delfonics, and like Hammer it's the strength of the songs getting them in the chart despite the quality-check slipping.

Technotronic are already reduced to Stars On megamix status, somebody called Timmo has a song called Flowers and I know nothing about it. Not on google either so I may have got the name wrong (my handwriting and the pencil is fading!) leaving an early entry for forthcoming Ghost-massive oldie Unchained Melody, the Phil Spector-definitive version of the classic song from 1965. It's topping my playlist of the week despite not yet charting (oldies only allowed if they charted in 1990) so it's getting a retrospective spot of 76 - it would have been much higher with a rule change.

1 ( 3 ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
2 ( 1 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
3 ( 2 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
4 ( NEW ) WAITING FOR THE DAY George Michael
5 ( 10 ) I CAN’T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood
6 ( 8 ) I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
7 ( 4 ) GROOVE IS IN THE HEART Deee-Lite
8 ( NEW ) LOVE WILL NEVER DO WITHOUT YOU (ALBUM VERSION/REMIX VERSION) Janet Jackson
9 ( 9 ) BLUE VELVET Bobby Vinton
10 ( 5 ) CULT OF SNAP Snap!

11 ( 6 ) PRAYING FOR TIME George Michael
12 ( 59 ) THE OBVIOUS CHILD Paul Simon
13 ( 7 ) GHETTO CHILD (REMIX) The Detroit Spinners
14 ( 28 ) THEN The Charlatans
15 ( 23 ) CAN’T GET ENOUGH Kim Wilde
16 ( 11 ) THUNDERSTRUCK AC/DC
17 ( NEW ) CRYING IN THE RAIN a-ha
18 ( 39 ) (WE WANT) THE SAME THING Belinda Carlisle
19 ( 18 ) ONLY YOUR LOVE Bananarama
20 ( 12 ) AFRICA Toto

21 ( 16 ) WE’VE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE The Animals
22 ( 13 ) TOM’S DINER DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
23 ( 14 ) WHERE ARE YOU BABY Betty Boo
24 ( 17 ) THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE Prince
25 ( 61 ) MOTHER UNIVERSE The Soup Dragons
26 ( 27 ) IT’S A SHAME (MY SISTER) Monie Love featuring True Image
27 ( 34 ) SPIN THAT WHEEL Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K
28 ( 19 ) RIDING INTO BLUE Inga
29 ( 20 ) LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/ DANGEROUS Roxette
30 ( 15 ) SUICIDE BLONDE INXS

31 ( 21 ) LET IT ALL HANG OUT ’90 Jonathan King AKA JK25
32 ( 26 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
33 ( 22 ) KING OF WISHFUL THINKING Go West
34 ( 30 ) THE JOKER The Steve Miller Band
35 ( NEW ) BE TENDER WITH ME BABY Tina Turner
36 ( NEW ) GOOD MORNING BRITAIN Aztec Camera featuring Mick Jones
37 ( 37 ) WHY CAN’T WE LIVE TOGETHER (1990 TK REMIX) Timmy Thomas
38 ( RE ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER MC Hammer
39 ( NEW ) LIFT ME UP Jeff Lynne
40 ( NEW ) BIRTHDAY Paul McCartney

41 ( 25 ) LIVIN’ IN THE LIGHT Caron Wheeler
42 ( 40 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle
43 ( 41 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
44 ( 33 ) BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Kylie Minogue
45 ( 48 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
46 ( 51 ) NEVER ENOUGH The Cure
47 ( 43 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
48 ( 45 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
49 ( 73 ) YOU GOT TO LOVE SOMEONE Elton John
50 ( 29 ) LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT Talk Talk

51 ( 46 ) TUNES SPLITS THE ATOM MC Tunes vs 808 State
52 ( 32 ) WORLD IN MY EYES Depeche Mode
53 ( 24 ) WHAT TIME IS LOVE The KLF
54 ( 42 ) HEART LIKE A WHEEL Human League
55 ( 72 ) SUPERFLY 1990 Curtis Mayfield & Ice-T
56 ( 52 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
57 ( 38 ) WHAT’S A WOMAN Vaya Con Dios
58 ( 31 ) LA SERENISSIMA DNA
59 ( NEW ) TO KEEP LOVE ALIVE Stevie Wonder
60 ( 54 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette

61 ( 57 ) STEPPIN’ OUT Joe Jackson
62 ( 35 ) GREENBANK DRIVE The Christians
63 ( NEW ) THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ Status Quo
64 ( 64 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
65 ( 62 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
66 ( NEW ) SOUL PROVIDER Michael Bolton
67 ( 36 ) GROOVY TRAIN The Farm
68 ( 68 ) FROM A DISTANCE Cliff Richard
69 ( 69 ) TIME AFTER TIME The Beloved
70 ( NEW ) DIDN’T I BLOW YOUR MIND (THIS TIME) New Kids On The Block

71 ( 70 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
72 ( 65 ) ALRIGHT (UK/USA versions) Janet Jackson
73 ( NEW ) MEGAMIX Technotronic
74 ( 67 ) IT’S MY LIFE Talk Talk
75 ( NEW ) FLOWERS Timmo
76 ( NEW ) UNCHAINED MELODY The Righteous Brothers

7th Oct
PLAYLIST ODLIES 1 UNCHAINED MELODY The Righteous Brothers
2 LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE (LP) George Michael
3 YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVIN’ FEELING The Righteous Brothers
4 REASON TO BELIEVE Wilson Philips

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 11th October 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #75
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

‘Waiting For The Day’ is one of my favourite George Michael tracks!

Did ‘The Joker’ only peak at 30?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th October 2020, 02:21 PM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Oct 11 2020, 11:43 PM) *
‘Waiting For The Day’ is one of my favourite George Michael tracks!

Did ‘The Joker’ only peak at 30?

Yes it's gorgeous Waiting For The Day heart.gif

The Joker peaked at 5 in 1990 but it originally charted for me at 14 in 1974 first-time round even though it was a UK flop, charting around the time that Abba and Queen debuted in my chart. Plus side, Rock n Me did top 3 in 1976, Abracadabra topped my chart in 1982, and they had other goodies like Jet Airliner along the way. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th October 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

14th October 1990

It's up 7 places to top spot for Janet Jackson's Rhythm nation album track and it's inferior UK remix, giving Ms J a second chart-topper of the year as she presides over a bumper 17 new entries creating a bit of a chart clearout. Belinda Carlisle gets a 6th top 10 track as We Want The Same Thing rockets up to 4, and Paul Simon gets a 7th solo top 10 track, his first top 5 since 1972's Me & Julio Down By The School-Yard hit 3. Including stuff with Garfunkel that makes 21 years of top 10's and 12 in total.

The Soup Dragons get a second top 10, Mother Universe, and Sisters Of Mercy get an instant second one too, as More enters at 9, the highest new entry. Rita McNeil's country-folk-social-ballad debuts at 17, Berlin's 1986 chart-topper is back again as it keeps re-charting in the UK whenever the film is repeated on TV, Tina Turner gets a 10th top 20 in 17 years of hits since she topped with Ike in 1973 on Nutbush City Limits. Jesus Jones clock up another Right Here Right Now hit, and The Beautiful South return with their best track, A Little Time, at 26.

The Cure remix their 1985 top 5, Close To Me, and Chris Isaak gets a second chart entry with Wild At Heart. Still debuting modestly, Kylie keeps the disco diva morphing with Step Back In Time at 50 as it starts to become clearer that Better The Devil You Know wasn't a one-off hot dance track, and she's left the cheesy pop behind her. PIL are back for a 12-year run of entries, somewhat overshadowing the 12 months Mr Lydon had with the Sex Pistols. Cher enters at 58 with the 60's pop hit Baby I'm Yours, originally a hit for Barbara Lewis in 1965, and written by Van "The Hustle" McCoy. It charted first for me in 1975 as sung by the fab Linda Lewis, as the follow-up to her brilliant histrionic disco cover of It's In His Kiss aka The Shoop Shoop Song. That song, of course was also recorded by Cher. Note to Cher, love you madly, but Linda Lewis did both better.

Nelson debut, that's the twin sons' band of the late Ricky Nelson, emulating dad's 1972 Garden Party debut, in at 62; Happy Mondays are back with a Kinky Afro, whatever works for you I say; Whitney's also back, place your bets as to whether I'm Your Baby Tonight is yet another one-week wonder or actually goes up my chart; Hothouse Flowers keep the Eurovision-promoted debut going 2 years on, Paul Young extends his chart career to 7 years (or 12 years including Streetband) - just - as The Chimes are as much in Heaven as Mr Young.

1 ( 8 ) LOVE WILL NEVER DO WITHOUT YOU (ALBUM VERSION/REMIX VERSION) Janet Jackson
2 ( 1 ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
3 ( 4 ) WAITING FOR THE DAY George Michael
4 ( 18 ) (WE WANT) THE SAME THING Belinda Carlisle
5 ( 12 ) THE OBVIOUS CHILD Paul Simon
6 ( 2 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
7 ( 3 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
8 ( 25 ) MOTHER UNIVERSE The Soup Dragons
9 ( NEW ) MORE Sisters Of Mercy
10 ( 5 ) I CAN’T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood

11 ( 7 ) GROOVE IS IN THE HEART Deee-Lite
12 ( 9 ) BLUE VELVET Bobby Vinton
13 ( 6 ) I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT YOU Londonbeat
14 ( 17 ) CRYING IN THE RAIN a-ha
15 ( 26 ) IT’S A SHAME (MY SISTER) Monie Love featuring True Image
16 ( 11 ) PRAYING FOR TIME George Michael
17 ( NEW ) WORKING MAN Rita McNeil
18 ( NEW ) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY Berlin
19 ( 35 ) BE TENDER WITH ME BABY Tina Turner
20 ( 13 ) GHETTO CHILD (REMIX) The Detroit Spinners

21 ( 10 ) CULT OF SNAP Snap!
22 ( NEW ) RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW Jesus Jones
23 ( 36 ) GOOD MORNING BRITAIN Aztec Camera featuring Mick Jones
24 ( 15 ) CAN’T GET ENOUGH Kim Wilde
25 ( 14 ) THEN The Charlatans
26 ( NEW ) A LITTLE TIME Beautiful South
27 ( NEW ) WE LOVE YOU JBC
28 ( 24 ) THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE Prince
29 ( 19 ) ONLY YOUR LOVE Bananarama
30 ( 68 ) FROM A DISTANCE Cliff Richard

31 ( 16 ) THUNDERSTRUCK AC/DC
32 ( 20 ) AFRICA Toto
33 ( 21 ) WE’VE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE The Animals
34 ( 49 ) YOU GOT TO LOVE SOMEONE Elton John
35 ( 22 ) TOM’S DINER DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
36 ( 70 ) DIDN’T I BLOW YOUR MIND (THIS TIME) New Kids On The Block
37 ( NEW ) CLOSE TO ME (REMIX) The Cure
38 ( 37 ) WHY CAN’T WE LIVE TOGETHER (1990 TK REMIX) Timmy Thomas
39 ( 28 ) RIDING INTO BLUE Inga
40 ( 29 ) LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/ DANGEROUS Roxette

41 ( 23 ) WHERE ARE YOU BABY Betty Boo
42 ( 31 ) LET IT ALL HANG OUT ’90 Jonathan King AKA JK25
43 ( NEW ) WILD AT HEART Chris Isaak
44 ( 42 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND Big Fun and Sonia featuring Gary Barnacle
45 ( 43 ) SACRIFICE/ HEALING HANDS Elton John
46 ( 33 ) KING OF WISHFUL THINKING Go West
47 ( 27 ) SPIN THAT WHEEL Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K
48 ( 45 ) LET IT BE The Beatles
49 ( 34 ) THE JOKER The Steve Miller Band
50 ( NEW ) STEP BACK IN TIME Kylie Minogue

51 ( 40 ) BIRTHDAY Paul McCartney
52 ( 48 ) ESCAPADE Janet Jackson
53 ( 39 ) LIFT ME UP Jeff Lynne
54 ( 47 ) BLACK VELVET Alannah Myles
55 ( NEW ) DON’T ASK ME Public Image Ltd
56 ( 38 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER MC Hammer
57 ( 30 ) SUICIDE BLONDE INXS
58 ( NEW ) BABY I’M YOURS Cher
59 ( 32 ) KINGSTON TOWN UB40
60 ( 75 ) FLOWERS Timmo

61 ( 56 ) HOLD ON Wilson Philips
62 ( NEW ) (I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOUR) LOVE AND AFFECTION Nelson
63 ( 63 ) THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ Status Quo
64 ( NEW ) KINKY AFRO Happy Mondays
65 ( 64 ) HEY JUDE The Beatles
66 ( 66 ) SOUL PROVIDER Michael Bolton
67 ( NEW ) I’M YOUR BABY TONIGHT Whitney Houston
68 ( 65 ) ENJOY THE SILENCE Depeche Mode
69 ( 52 ) WORLD IN MY EYES Depeche Mode
70 ( 73 ) MEGAMIX Technotronic

71 ( 71 ) THIS WOMAN’S WORK Kate Bush
72 ( NEW ) MOVIES Hothouse Flowers
73 ( 60 ) IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE Roxette
74 ( NEW ) HEAVEN CAN WAIT Paul Young
75 ( NEW ) HEAVEN The Chimes
76 ( 76 ) UNCHAINED MELODY The Righteous Brothers

PLAYLIST OLDIES:

1 UNCHAINED MELODY The Righteous Brothers
2 HEART OF GOLD Neil Young
3 DOCTOR WHO THEME (1969) Ron Grainer & Delia Derbyshire at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th October 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #78
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

A Little Time wub.gif

I loved Beautiful South as a kid, no idea why either as they were very different to anything else I listened to

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th October 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(dandy* @ Oct 13 2020, 11:06 PM) *
A Little Time wub.gif

I loved Beautiful South as a kid, no idea why either as they were very different to anything else I listened to

the early Version One singer Briana Corrigan had a great voice, worked beautifully on this one, though I also liked Jacqui Abbott's very different tones. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th October 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

21st October 1990

It's a first week on top for The Righteous Brothers, who started charting oldies in my chart in 1969 (and many times since with the same song) and finally got a chart-topper with another oldie, Unchained Melody in the definitive version. If you can listen to this without seeing a potters wheel and a ghost, then you predate 1990 (probably). That holds off another classic 60's song entering at 2, All Along The Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix' version of the Dylan song made my top 10 in 1968, far and away his best record, that intro is a "woah" moment to this day.

The Beautiful South shoot up to 8 with A Little Time, and it was (along with Show Me Heaven) tinged with sadness for me, and still is, reminding me of the funeral of a young work colleague & friend who's death shook me badly. Monie Love meanwhile takes the old (Motown/Detroit) Spinners hit into the top 10, the song works in any version, and Berlin return to the top tier 4 years on. Kylie rockets back in time to 18 from 50, and Kim Appleby debuts her solo career after the tragic loss of sister Mel, which also added to my general mood of the time as the lyrics to Don't Worry meant a lot to me, a great record in at 28. Co-written by Kim & boyfriend Craig Logan ex-of Bros, it's better than even the best Mel & Kim or Bros tracks.

Roxette keep their invasion of the charts ramped-up as they dress for success at 37, Mica Paris has anew Contribution, Lloyd Cole is Downtown, this not with a Commotion, and sneaking in at 74 Jason Donovan does a smart Early-Beatles-sounding turn, a nice change from the usual SAW-sound.

1 ( 76 ) UNCHAINED MELODY The Righteous Brothers
2 ( NEW ) ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3 ( 3 ) WAITING FOR THE DAY George Michael
4 ( 1 ) LOVE WILL NEVER DO WITHOUT YOU (ALBUM VERSION/REMIX VERSION) Janet Jackson
5 ( 5 ) THE OBVIOUS CHILD Paul Simon
6 ( 4 ) (WE WANT) THE SAME THING Belinda Carlisle
7 ( 2 ) SO HARD Pet Shop Boys
8 ( 26 ) A LITTLE TIME Beautiful South
9 ( 15 ) IT’S A SHAME (MY SISTER) Monie Love featuring True Image
10 ( 18 ) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY Berlin

11 ( 17 ) WORKING MAN Rita McNeil
12 ( 7 ) FASCINATING RHYTHM Bass-O-Matic
13 ( 6 ) SHOW ME HEAVEN Maria McKee
14 ( 9 ) MORE Sisters Of Mercy
15 ( 8 ) MOTHER UNIVERSE The Soup Dragons
16 ( 10 ) I CAN’T STAND IT Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood