BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 10 years since CBB's race row...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Jan 31 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
It's been on DS a bit that this week marks 10 years since the infamous Big Brother race row!

Personally I vaguely remember it but I was only 9 (just about to turn 10), I have since re-watched it (and I'm re-watching it now on Youtube actually) and it is quite a tough watch. I think Jackiey and Jo came across the worst, the former is just trash and riding on her daughter's fame, nothing more than a Jeremy Kyle reject. The latter, right down to the "but my cousin is Indian!11!" line she used to justify it, just seemed so nasty and gang-handed. I honestly feel that Jade didn't mean to be or realsie that she was being racist. She wasn't the most intellectual or articulate person and I think the fact that she was pretty much the only one to admit what she did, apologise and donate to charity the fee she got for the show, shows that she had a good heart at her core. I genuinely don't think she intended to be racist and cause such a shockwave wth it, nor did she realise. But nonetheless an iconic CBB moment for better or worse, probably the defining storyline of all time tbh.

This undoubtedly changed the course of BB forever. I certainly think ejection rules are tougher now, if you look at how careful they are. Emily Parr being the worst example, thrown out for using the N word jokingly to Charley even though Charley herself didn't mind... But rightfully, they knew they had to be careful. I think if anything like this happened today, BB wouldn't survive. It doesn't have the immense popularity so that it could survive being smacked down like that.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 31 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
I remember it well, can't believe it's been 10 years ohmy.gif The furore at the time was huge for such a show like this, particularly in the British Asian community. Everyone was talking about it for weeks.

It was so painful and disgusting to watch, particularly Jade and her mum. With her mum, something simple like her name become such a huge argument point, which was ridiculous. I remember at point from her trying to say her name, and then one of the others (maybe Jermaine) correcting her, and she told him to f off and stormed into the diary room. She just looked like a complete twat laugh.gif It certainly did change the show forever and the treatment Jade and Jo had following the show was justified. I think Danielle got off very lightly. In her eviction interview she was laughing and didn't show any remorse, really.

It was just extraordinary that Channel 4 allowed this to continue for so long. I think they really failed as a broadcaster and should have immediately ejected Jade and given the others serious warnings. If it continued, also ejected them. It was really unacceptable for Channel 4 to allow that behaviour to continue, even if it is a cruel reality of some people's behaviour in society.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Jan 31 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Jade's eviction from that series is a tough one to watch. The whole vibe is strange from having no crowd to the actual cringing of having to watch it all back again. It's crazy just how much of an impact it had!

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Jan 31 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
It's strange how Danielle (who was more involved than Jade) is basically forgiven and forgotten in the narrative. Jade is forgiven due to her sad passing. Jo it seems is not forgiven and is usually known as racist Jo.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Jan 31 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Yeah, I remember watching This Morning the other week and Danielle was on it talking about Jamie and I was just pissed they never brought up her racism. She really deserves to be remembered for it.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Jan 31 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
I've just been watching all the clips back and it's crazy how much impact a TV show had on the outside world ohmy.gif

I totally agree that Jade wasn't racist and had just lost control of what she was saying in that Oxo cube argument - she said some horrible things but I don't think they were from a place of hatred it was just said in the heat of the moment, not that that takes anything away from the gravitas from those words. Jo and Danielle were so sneaky though - Jo didn't even apologise once during her exit interview and Danielle kept trying to throw Jade under the bus!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Jan 31 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Yup I watched it at the time and won't ever forget how uncomfortable and quite frankly disturbing it was to witness what went down.

It blew up and became SUCH a huge deal. I mean, check out this article from when it happened - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6273677.stm

"The story has made the headlines in India, and a small-scale protest in the eastern Indian city of Patna saw the burning of an effigy of the show's organisers. "

Just crazy.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 31 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
I feel like with Danielle it was like "oh she's young never mind", but at 19 you still know that being racist isn't acceptable... Even she herself has always just brushed it off as "I was young and silly but oh well" sort of thing :/

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Jan 31 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
I was far too young to even remember Jade's series but did it boost ratings? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 31 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Jan 31 2017, 09:22 PM) *
I was far too young to even remember Jade's series but did it boost ratings? laugh.gif

Her eviction is the 2nd most watched BB episode ever behind the final she was in in Big Brother 3!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 31 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I remember this very well, back when I cared about Big Brother. Was literally all the papers/everyone I knew was talking about, the only TV show I recall having that much impact was X Factor around 2009/2010 time! It really was ridiculous that it took Channel 4 so long for doing anything about it.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Feb 1 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Still the most complained TV show of all time from Ofcom. Very uncomfortable viewing.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Feb 1 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Could anyone summarise it? I think I must've only been 5 or 6!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 1 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
It was Jo O'Meara, Danielle Lloyd, Jade, Jade's mum Jackiey (why on earth she spells it that way idk) and Jack. I think it all stemmed from Jade's mum refusing to pronounce her name correctly, they basically thought that Shlpa was being a "princess" or snobby for wanting her name pronounced correctly... There was also a time when Shilpa blocked the toilet by trying to dispose of chicken soup, and in that instance Jack (Jade's bf) said she should pick out the bones with her teeth and called her a c**t, but because it was beeped out the papers thought it was **k* or somthing, but I believe they did later (in a roundabout way, they turned it into rhyming slang with words like tacky) refer to her as a **k*, and a dog as well. It was just incessant and Jo, Danielle, Jack and Jackiey didn't show much remorse, it only seemed to be Jade who did. Jackiey was the first evicted because there was a twist that was basically servants and masters and the masters were Jade, her family, Shilpa, Ken Russell (who walked) and Jermaine Jackson, they all faced the vote to save and Jackiey got the least and was secretly evicted with no shoes on :') Jade was 3rd to be evicted, with no crowd because things had advanced then and she was seen as the ringleader of it all as she came to blows more frequently with Shilpa. Jo was evicted in a double eviction before the final, Jack came 6th, Danielle 5th and Shilpa of course won.

As I said, Jade was the only one to really show remorse, she went into Indian Big Brother (hosted by Shilpa, who forgave her) but was diagnosed with the cervical cancer she died of on day 2 and had to leave. I believe Shilpa went to a film premeire or something with Danielle though I seem to remember that was a thing.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Feb 1 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 1 2017, 10:03 PM) *
It was Jo O'Meara, Danielle Lloyd, Jade, Jade's mum Jackiey (why on earth she spells it that way idk) and Jack. I think it all stemmed from Jade's mum refusing to pronounce her name correctly, they basically thought that Shlpa was being a "princess" or snobby for wanting her name pronounced correctly... There was also a time when Shilpa blocked the toilet by trying to dispose of chicken soup, and in that instance Jack (Jade's bf) said she should pick out the bones with her teeth and called her a c**t, but because it was beeped out the papers thought it was **k* or somthing, but I believe they did later (in a roundabout way, they turned it into rhyming slang with words like tacky) refer to her as a **k*, and a dog as well. It was just incessant and Jo, Danielle, Jack and Jackiey didn't show much remorse, it only seemed to be Jade who did. Jackiey was the first evicted because there was a twist that was basically servants and masters and the masters were Jade, her family, Shilpa, Ken Russell (who walked) and Jermaine Jackson, they all faced the vote to save and Jackiey got the least and was secretly evicted with no shoes on :') Jade was 3rd to be evicted, with no crowd because things had advanced then and she was seen as the ringleader of it all as she came to blows more frequently with Shilpa. Jo was evicted in a double eviction before the final, Jack came 6th, Danielle 5th and Shilpa of course won.

As I said, Jade was the only one to really show remorse, she went into Indian Big Brother (hosted by Shilpa, who forgave her) but was diagnosed with the cervical cancer she died of on day 2 and had to leave. I believe Shilpa went to a film premeire or something with Danielle though I seem to remember that was a thing.

Thanks!! Just watched her exit interview and where she was given the news in India. It's sad sad.gif
At least Shilpa won

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Feb 1 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Feb 1 2017, 09:27 PM) *
Could anyone summarise it? I think I must've only been 5 or 6!

Jade Goody, Danielle Lloyd & Jo O'Meara were being racist towards Indian actress Shilpa Shetty and it was the top story in the news for quite a long time, there were protests that took place in India as well.

Jade Goody called Shilpa Shetty "Shilpa poppadum"

Danielle Lloyd said "do people eat with their hands in India?" because Shilpa was eating chicken with her hands one day.

And Jo O'Meara was being offensive towards Asian culture and cheering the other two on.

All of these events caused Shilpa Shetty to comfortably win that series of Celebrity Big Brother.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 2 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
I for one can't believe it's ONLY been 10 years. So much has happened to Big Brother over that time.
I still remember the major argument that really kicked it all off, which was the OXO Cube argument and how aggressive Jade was with Shilpa and how Danielle and Jo played a part in it all. It pretty much got worse from there.

I think having no crowd at the Eviction was the right call, but allowing Jade to appear on BBLB the next day (although I'm sure she was obligated to do so) was not the right call. She was pretty much a broken woman by that point. I won't defend anything she said, because it absolutely was racist - but I really think Jade's immaturity was what did her in.

What I will say about Jade is she was a very smart and savvy business women, but she shouldn't have done Celebrity Big Brother.
I remember when she passed away I was very upset - BB3 was one the first UK Big Brother Seasons I watched and I loved Jade, everything she did up to CBB was gold as well.. and she pretty much lost it all.

I still go back from time to time and watch the 10 minute clip they dedicated to her from Ultimate Big Brother. That was so raw and so deep. I cried like a baby when I watched it the first time. She went through so much and what a devastating way to go. Her death still makes me sad.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Feb 2 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
In the same series after the Emily Parr incident, didn't Ziggy say the 'N' word to Brian and there being a cover up about it.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 3 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
QUOTE(Mack @ Feb 2 2017, 10:37 PM) *
In the same series after the Emily Parr incident, didn't Ziggy say the 'N' word to Brian and there being a cover up about it.

Allegedly. It was rumoured on a few forums, but it happened the week of the Final so it got brushed under the rugs.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:19 PM