BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2000's Rewind: a Film Retrospective, exploring the iconic films, and moments of this decade! | all fini
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th April 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #41
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

QUOTE(Chez Wallago 🐠 @ Apr 10 2020, 10:40 PM) *
Wow, these are extremely well written and informative, Sam, well done!

Memento is excellent and I really need to see Requiem for a Dream, I adore the soundtrack to it, just picking the right moment as it seems a bit of a downer to say the least laugh.gif

ty <3 same literally every year I've done so far I only saw nothing or kids films in cinemas laugh.gif I think I started seeing 12A's in cinemas from when I was like six tho kink.gif The Requiem soundtrack <3 haha it def is!

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Apr 10 2020, 11:45 PM) *
2001:

Wow. A huge year for franchises! The killer franchises of LOTR & Harry Potter both starting out. It's amazing just seeing where everything is at now in terms of franchises. Especially as everything seems to have moved on to being a movie "universe" of some sort now.

What an amazing film 'Memento' is! I didn't realise that was Nolan's first. One of my favourite directors. I think the first film I saw of his was 'The Dark Knight' (yes I saw that before 'Batman Begins' laugh.gif) I was very late to the Nolan game!

Is 'Along Came A Spider' the one that stars a very young Anton Yelchin? I enjoyed it!

I need to see 'Pearl Harbor'! 'There You'll Be' is one of the greatest movie songs of all time.

2002:

'Lilo & Stitch' is so good! It was Disney's last "big" hit until 'Tangled' in 2010, right? A classic wub.gif

'Signs' is shit. SO disappointing. 'The Ring' was good fun. I need to rewatch at some point! 'Scooby Doo' though *.* what a classic!! The screen play was done by James Gunn who ended up to doing bigger and better things with the 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' franchise!

LMAO at that awards season! I wish I was into film to witness all that way back then lmao. I need to see 'Chicago' still and I have been told by my friend, several times, to watch 'The Pianist'.

Amazing write ups again Sam! wub.gif

This really was the start of movie franchises & universes aha! And now I've just checked Memento isn't Nolan's first kink.gif I was always convinced it was haha!! (It's his first known one tho lol). Along Came a Spider is! I wanna see Pearl Harbour but the runtime is putting me off.
OMG thinking about it now Lilo & Stitch might've been, I knew Disney had a rly bad lul in the 2000's but I didn't realise it was this tragic aha. also love those Eminem and Scooby Doo facts, didn't know either!
ty <3 <3

QUOTE(Leanne 🧘🏻‍ @ Apr 11 2020, 10:13 AM) *
2003- faves include Retun of the King, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Tomb Raider 2 and Love Actually.

2004-loads of cinema trips this year! My sister got chicken pox that Summer so we couldn’t do all of our plans but the cinema was something I could still do plenty of. Shrek 2, Mean Girls, Spider-Man 2, I, Robot, The Village, Dodgeball, White Chicks and Shark Tale were some of my highlights. There were some turkeys too like Scooby Doo 2, King Arthur (my mum was hyped for this but she was so disappointed) and Wimbledon.

omg seeing all those classics in cinema *.* Shark Tale was a major highlight for me too <3 and yasss I've been on a 2000's binge recently and seeing all these cord-phones and old Nokia's are giving me life *.* ty <3

QUOTE(Brenda 💋 @ Apr 11 2020, 12:45 PM) *
omg Finding Nemo. I keep forgetting it is that OLD!. I have such fond memories of that movie.
Thoroughy enjoying this read, hit me with them facts Samantha

EDIT: Wait Love Actually ain't a 2010's movie?!

ty <3 and nope it isn't ahaha!

QUOTE(Brenda 💋 @ Apr 11 2020, 01:00 PM) *
I don't know who blue is

lucky you.

QUOTE(Karen 🥂 @ Apr 11 2020, 01:46 PM) *

I never really took to Treasure Planet, wasn't it really expensive??

Elf heart.gif best Christmas film and I watch it religiously every year!! Finding Nemo, another absolutely incredible film for Pixar - they were on such a high! Dory is another classic character.

I remember seeing Pirates at the cinema and it was just by word of mouth I think! Crazy how much it exploded into a franchise. I think there had been a few previous water/pirate films that had bombed and I think those type of films are the most expensive to film? Isn't Dead Man's Chest still the most expensive film ever made (with inflation taken into account)?

I actually loved Looney Tunes: Back in Action too - I only realised it bombed a few years ago and was shocked! It felt like their big comeback at the time.

Spy Kids 3D was when I was obsessed by the novelty of 3D and I've got it on DVD with the glasses. I just used to watch it only for the 3D aspect rather than it being a good film. It was similar to Journey to the Centre of the Earth a few years later.

Treasure Planet's production budget was $140m and it only made $110m worldwide!!! it's one of the biggest bombs ever oops. same, xmas isn't the same without a watch of Elf! DMC was the most expensive at the time, but At World's End was actually more expensive! (that's since been overtaken by the next Pirates sequel and the 3 latest Avengers). With inflation I'm not too sure but I'd guess AWE might be the most?
Same I had no clue it bombed this badly at all, I remember it being massive at the time!! and omg you've completely reminded me about the Spy Kids 3D DVD with glasses, I forgot that existed and woo I loved that when I was younger!!
ty <3 <3
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th April 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #42
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

2005 is about half-typed up so expect that in the next couple of hours as I'm taking a break atm haha x then this is the aim:
2006 - around 10/11ish this evening
2007 - around 2/3am Sunday
2008 - around 2pm Sunday
2009 - around 7pm Sunday

let's see if this acc happens kink.gif

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 11th April 2020, 03:28 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

omg totally forgot how 2004 was full of iconic hits!

Bridget Jones, I, Robot, Mean Girls, Ocean's Twelve, Shark Tale, Spider-Man 2, The Bourne Supremacy, The Day After Tomorrow, The Incredibles, The Notebook, The Polar Express, Troy, White Chicks wub.gif

and not so iconic but still very enjoyable and watchable Catwoman and Hellboy kink.gif

The one that I need to watch is Anchorman...I've heard a lot about it but I never really put an effort and watch it. Perhaps finally I should just do it now since I have the time of the world!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th April 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #44
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Box Office Hits
Batman Begins - the first in the trilogy of one of the biggest and most acclaimed superhero franchises of all time. Batman Begins earned great reviews and brought Batman back to cinema and acclaim, wiping away the previous disaster of Batman & Robin. BB was 8th for the year in America with $205m and 11th in the UK with $30m, showing excellent legs in both countries as the opening weekend made up around 20% of both of its grosses, great legs for a superhero flick!
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - The modern take on Road Dahl's childhood novel is a childhood classic and was one of the defining hits of Summer 2005. This was EVERYWHERE. A fantastic and well-known ensemble & embarked with Tim Burton's visuals, this was a big success; $206m for 7th place in US (which meant it wasn't actually the highest grossing film released on its weekend!) and a massive $65m in the UK to place 4th for the year.
Chicken Little - actually tbf despite meh reviews, this was a pretty big hit for Disney, grossing $135m in the US (14th) and $23m in the UK where it was released in 2006.
Fantastic Four - the first screen outing for the FF teams in the mid 2000's received meh reviews but got some nice audience reactions to gross $154m in America and $23m in the Uk and kickstarted another superhero franchise.
Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire - The 4th Harry entry to appear saw an uptick from Azkaban with $290m in the US (3rd) and was finally the first Harry film to be the biggest film in the UK that year with $85m clinching the top spot.
Hitch - I didn't realise just how big this was, Will Smith really was that box office draw movie star at this point! I knew this was massive in the US (179m, 11th) but I didn't realise how big it was in the UK, grossing $33m to be the 10th biggest film of the year! A rom-com and Valentine's Day classic.
King Kong - Peter Jackson's massive budgeted epic follow-up to LoTR was very successful but I think it slightly missed expectations. Still a gigantic hit with $52m in the UK (8th) and $218m in the US (5th). However it wasn't the biggest film of the Xmas season!
Madagascar - DreamWorks classic kicked off another iconic franchise in 2005 with the world being introduced to Alex, Marty, Melman & Gloria. 4 icons of life. The trailer and film was sag and unsurprisingly this was the biggest animation of the year, grossing $193m in America and $40m in the UK.
Mr & Mrs Smith - the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie movie is still iconic today, known for being Brangelina's first team up and the movie that started their relationship as one of the most known couples in Hollywood. Anyway on the back of their star power, this was a massive hit in America with $186m (10th for the year, also showed amazing legs with 27% of its opening weekend being its total) and 14th in the UK with $26m.
Nanny McPhee - A nice rare charge at this point in time as this didn't come out in the US until 2060! However Emma Thompson's Nanny was immediately iconic and every kid my age watched this about a thousand times when younger. that was a classic! Anyway this was a big box office hit with $29m in the UK, 12th for the year (great numbers in an incredibly saturated kids market, within 2 weeks released were; Wallace & Gromit, this, Corpse Bride, Sky High & Dreamer) and actually increased on its 2nd weekend! You can catch ITV2 showing this every 3 days nowadays.
Pride & Prejudice - The Jane Austen literary adaptation is one of the most famous and iconic ones and ofc made big bank in the UK with a $26m total.
Robots - a very nice animated hit for Sony Pictures (I think) despite not the greatest of reviews with $128m (15th) in America and $23m (17th) in the UK. Those Robots were everywhere when I was younger.
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - The last part of the prequel trilogy received the best reviews of the trilogy and is the best well regarded one by fans nowadays. Heading towards an inevitable conclusion, this was by far the biggest film of the year in America with $380m, whilst settling for 3rd place in the UK with $72m
The 40 Year Old Virgin - The comedy that saw Steve Carell become a movie-star, this was highly successful and acclaimed and still holds up well today! This grossed over $100m in the US to finish as the 19th biggest movie and was a summer sleeper hit.
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe - what an iconic moment in time. The first Narnia kicked off with gigantic numbers & was the biggest hit of Xmas season, and looked like at the time it could become one of the biggest franchises ever. This was the 2nd biggest film of the year in both the US ($291m) and UK ($77m), with a great audience reaction and fantastic legs over the Xmas period. It's a shame it feels like whilst still remembered, this has definitely faded in comparison to its massive box office at the time.
Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit - this did pretty solid in the US for a British property ($56m) but ofc the massive success for the UK cultural icons was back here. Wallace & Gromit's big screen debut grossed the same amount here as it did in the US and had the 3rd highest opening of the year! that was a classic. and received great critical acclaim again.
War of the Worlds - The Steven Spielberg/Tom Cruise flick was your typical mid 2000's blockbuster with massive sets, star-power and big box office; grossing $55m in the UK (6th) and $234m in the US (4th). Again whilst still remembered, this does feel like its faded a bit from the world haha.
Wedding Crashers - The Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson comedy was a surprise gigantic success and had a killer supporting cast (Bradley Cooper, Isla Fisher & Rachel McAdams *.*). This grossed a massive $209m in America to finish 6th for the year and was also a hit in the UK with $24m (15th). One of the biggest original comedies of the decade.

A bit more surprisingly this year, Harry Potter actually beat Star Wars for the #1 spot globally ($897m vs $848m), whilst Narnia took $745m for a massive start for the franchise. This was a good year for remakes (King Kong 5th, Charlie Chocolate Factory 8th), original films (War of the Worlds 4th, Mr & Mrs Smith 7th, Hitch 10th - me doing this and realising Hitch is the only non-remake I think haha) and franchise starters (Madagascar 6th, Batman Begins 9th). The top 6 all grossed over $500m globally! and once again Narnia was the only Disney film, wow how times changed.

Iconic Classics
Constantine - the Keanu Reeves starrer was meant to kick off a franchise but it didn't, slightly underperforming.
Corpse Bride - Tim Burton's halloween animation is still widely watched around that season nowadays and has held up well in pop culture
Downfall - One of the most famous films about the downfall of hitler
Elektra - the spin-off to Daredevil starring Jennifer Garner bombed big-time at the box office and put an end to any more Daredevil related stuff for BenJen in the future.
Elizabethtown - Cameron Crowe's next film underperformed both critically and at the box office but it deserved so much better, that was a classic.
Flightplan - A big box office hit for Jodie Foster, this thriller captivated audiences and is an iconic and good time mid 2000's throwback.
Herbie: Fully Loaded - another iconic Lindsay Lohan Disney film, this was the rage when I was 5 years old *.*
Howl's Moving Castle - another one of Studio Ghibli's most iconic films hit the UK and US in 2005
Kingdom of Heaven - this bombed at the box office as the swords-and-sandals genre started to die again in 2004/2005 after Gladiator revitalised it. This had the famous first week of May slot and was the last time an original movie opened in this slot!
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - the film that started the resurrection of Robert Downey Jr's career is a mini cult classic.
March of the Penguins - The documentary narrated by Morgan Freeman posted insane numbers at the box office, becoming one of the highest grossing documentaries ever and causing many to shed tears over the adorable Penguins.
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous - the sequel to the 2000 classic underwhelmed both critically and financially, putting an end to the franchise.
Monster-in-Law - This was Jane Fonda's first film appearance in like 14 years iirc, as she squares off against J-Lo in this box office hit and well remembered film!
Pooh's Heffalump Movie - another classic Winnie the Pooh film, I have such fond memories of seeing this in cinemas <3 legend Piglet is iconic and Heffalump <3 <3 <3 this underperformed at the box office.
Racing Stripes - we love a horse half-animated drama-comedy with a who's who of people that were famous in the mid 2000's.
Red Eye - The Rachel McAdams/Cillian Murphy thriller still feels well remembered nowadays, with a thrilling plot and fab cast driving this film forward *.*
Rent - the musical adaptation of one of Broadway's biggest hits underwhelmed at the box office and failed to reach the critical acclaim it aimed for. However it has legend Idina Menzel in it and ofc one of the best songs ever in Seasons of Love so what couldn't you love about it.
Sahara - this was famous for being one of the box office bombs ever, losing a significant amount of money at the box office.
Saw II - The 2nd in the Saw franchise saw a big increase at the box office as this placed the stepping stones for this to become probably the most iconic horror franchise of this decade.
Serenity - the firefly movie spin-off underwhelmed at the box office but earned a big cult following, just like the tv show it was based on.
Sin City - This was everywhere in 2005 with its infamous black-and-white style and massive ensemble of famous actors. It does feel a bit forgotten nowadays as it rly did seem to be the start of something new when it came out.
Son of the Mask - another kinda-sequel that nobody wanted that bombed disastrously at the box office, a trend that would happen a lot more in the 2010's.
The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl 3D - we love a 3D cash-in kids movie
The Amityville Horror - another horror remake that received lukewarm reviews from the critics but did well at the box office and had a cast that all ended up doing pretty well for themselves!
The Dukes of Hazzard - another tv-adpatation turned movie that made solid business with a very mid 2000's cast, style and feel.
The Exorcism of Emily Rose - this has actually held up pretty well with it still being referenced by Horror fans
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - this was a big box office hit in the UK ($20m) and was based off the classic novel and I remember that teaser trailer with What A Wonderful World was EVERYWHERE *.*
The Interpreter - The Nicole Kidman/Sean Penn thriller garnered good reviews and box office
The Longest Yard - The Adam Sandler comedy was one of his biggest hits ever in America but feels kinda forgotten now.
The Magic Roundabout - another British animation that made big bank here, with iconic characters and a charming British feel and voice cast making this a classic <3 I always wanted a sequel sad.gif
The Pacifier - The Vin Diesel family film was another early 2000's worldwide box office hit
The Ring Two - This sequel opened big but plummeted after receiving dreadful reactions from audiences and critics, killing the horror franchise dead.
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - the teen comedy-drama with stars that would become way more famous over-time is nicely remembered and has a mini cult following
The Squid & The Whale - Noah Baumbach's family drama is regarded as one of his best
Valiant - Like the magic roundabout, another early 2005 UK family smash with a great voice cast and a fantastic plot!
Wolf Creek - the Australian horror received great reviews and is still looked upon fondly. by horror lovers, spawning sequels and a tv show
Zathura: A Space Adventure - the Jumanji sequel/prequel (idk I never saw it lol) underperformed heavily at the time.

The Oscars & Awards Season
Oh 2005. the year where homophobia won. One of the most infamous Oscar races and winners for all the wrong reasons. Brokeback Mountain won the Drama Globe and BAFTA for Picture. However SAG ensemble winner Crash ended up taking the win for best picture. Crash is highly regarded as one of the worst BP-winners of all time both at the time and nowadays and immediate controversy was sparked amongst the circumstances of winner. Crash was also released in May, making it a rare non-blockbuster non-Q4 BP winner in this millennium. The only other best pic winner was Walk the Line at the Globes Musical/Comedy, but was snubbed at the Oscars. Instead the other Oscar best pic nominees were Good Night & Good Luck, Munich (two films we won't be covering again) and Capote. However Ang Lee swept best director this time around, winning the award everywhere for Brokeback Mountain.

This year saw pretty much the expected frontrunners take home the awards. Phillip Seymour Hoffman won the Oscar, BAFTA, SAG & Globe for Capote in a full-sweep, with Joaquin Phoenix the only other winner for Walk The Line for Globes Comedy/Musical. Phoenix's co-star Reese Witherspoon went one step further than him and took home the Oscar for Best Actress, as well as also winning the BAFTA, SAG & Globe. Felicity Huffman won the Globe for Drama in Transamerica but remained 2nd place for the rest of the season. Rachel Weisz also won the Oscar, SAG & Globe for supporting actress in The Constant Gardener, another near sweep! However she was placed lead at the BAFTA's, which allowed Thandie Newton to pick up a win there for Crash, the film's only acting win at any of the precursors. The only tight category was best supporting actor. Jake Gyllenhaal won the BAFTA for Brokeback Mountain, Paul Giamatti (who was perceived as overdue after snubs for American Splendor & Sideways) took home SAG for Cinderella Man but George Clooney won the Globe and the Oscar for Syriana, in a banner year for him with this role and best pic nominee GN&GL being directed by him, allowing his year and Hollywood stardom status to win the Oscar.

Amongst other nominees and snubs we had; Maria Bello surprisingly missing at the Oscars for A History of Violence despite hitting the precursors, though there was confusion to whether she was lead or supporting, Russell Crowe nearly getting another Oscar nom for Cinderella Man, Ziyi Zhang scoring Globe/BAFTA/SAG noms for Memoirs of a Geisha but missed the Oscars in the end after the film faded and Globes Comedy actor category was random af with films such as The Producers, Breakfast on Pluto and The Matador scoring noms. Scarlett Johansson scored another globe nom for Match Point but went no further and Brenda Blethyn was the random British BAFTA nod of the year for Pride & Prejudice. In terms of who actually got noms; Keira Knightley surprisingly made it into Best Actress for Pride & Prejudice, becoming one of the youngest nominees, Matt Dillon was the Crash acting representative after him and Don Cheadle had split throughout the season and future Oscar nomination faves Amy Adams (Junebug) and Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain) scored their first nom. And Jake Gyllenhaal scored his first and only Oscar nomination to date for BM.

other key award winners were Brokeback Mountain and Crash picking up script awards at the Oscars (both swept screenplay awards this season), and It's Hard out Here for a Pimp from Hustle & Flow took home best song. Tsosti was the winner of best foreign language film and Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit took home the animated film Oscar, becoming Aardman's first winner!

also fun fact: Crash was the first Best Pic winner since Rocky in 1976 to only win 3 Oscars and all four acting winners were all first-time nominees! (I am shocked it was all of their first nominations apart from Weisz!!)

Notable Events - lots of facts for this year
- Pierce Brosnan officially announced Die Another Day as his last James Bond movie. In October, Daniel Craig was announced as the new Bond.
- Star Wars recorded a record high day at the US box office with $50m on opening day.
- L'enfant won the Palme D'or at Cannes. If you've ever studied French, you will know this film. we were forced to sit through it like 900 times
- Roger Ebert published his list of most hated films, which included 2005 releases like A Lot Like Love, Constantine & Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
- Semi-offensive R-rated comedies, including retooled romantic comedies and 'bromances' (guy-meets-guy romances) containing generous portions of profanity, sex and nudity, and debauchery, were shown to be popular - and appealing (see wedding crashers, 40 year old virgin)
- The action sequel Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003), the first Sony Pictures film, was also the first feature film to be released on Blu-Ray Disc
- The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005 was introduced to Congress, designed to make technology available (legal filtering devices, such as DVD players provided by the ClearPlay company) to parents that will help shield children from unwanted violence, sex and profanity in movies. This bill made it legal to alter (or sanitize) a motion picture to edit out audio and video content that may not suit minors (i.e., CleanFlicks rents out edited DVDs). In addition, file sharing and movie piracy (i.e., camcordering films in theaters, pre-releasing pirated copies of copyrighted films, etc.) would be penalized. (remember THOSE DVD ADVERTS, ICONIC)
- The popularity of DVD had now doomed VHS. DVD sales were over $22 billion in 2005 compared to VHS $1.5 billion. JVC no longer made VHS from this year, despite introducing this format to the US in 1977.
- Marlon Brando's personal 173-page film script (annotated) from The Godfather (1972) sold for $312,800 to an anonymous bidder at Christie's in New York City on June 30, 2005. It was the world's most expensive script from a film.
- Director David Cronenberg's crime-thriller A History of Violence (2005) was the last major Hollywood feature film to be released (in early 2006) in the once-ubiquitous VHS videotape cassette format. The film also featured - purportedly - the first instance of reciprocal oral sex (69 or sixty-nine) ever performed in a non-pornographic (mainstream) American film, between a married couple (Maria Bello and Viggo Mortensen).
- Goblet of Fire was the first Harry Potter film to earn a PG-13 rating in the US
- George Lucas was criticized for merchandising toys and other related products to younger consumers, while denying them the ability to see the film. The first five Star Wars films made a staggering $9 billion in merchandise sales -- triple the franchise's box-office sales (of $3.4 billion). Regarding Episodes I-III, critics denounced the Jar Jar Binks digital character and the poor acting, but the films were universally praised for their digital film-making and special effects.
- Summer box-office was actually the lowest in Hollywood since 2001. It was suggested that the industry make better films, provide discounted tickets, make cheaper films, and eliminate various annoyances in movie theatres (i.e., commercials, use of cellphones, sticky environments, etc.)
- March of the Penguins cost only $8 million to make and earned almost $78 million - becoming the highest-grossing nature documentary, and marking the second-highest gross for a non-IMAX documentary.
- Michael Eisner stepped-down as Disney CEO after 21 years and was replaced by Bob Iger
- Serenity was the first full-resolution pirated downloaded of an HD DVD and marked the beginning of widespread HD-DVD pirating
- Buena Vista's and director Garth Jennings' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) was the only adaptation of one of writer Douglas Adams' five Hitchhiker's books, and it performed poorly. The adventure sci-fi comedy with a budget of $50 million took in only $51 million (domestic) and $104.5 million (worldwide), possibly insuring no more sequels.
- DreamWorks' and Rob Marshall's Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) (adapted from a novel by Arthur Golden), a film set in 1930s and 1940s Japan, was the first big-budget Hollywood film with Asian actors in every leading role. However, the film-makers received criticism regarding the casting decisions, since three of the major actresses were not Japanese but Chinese (and Malaysian). The producers and director argued in response that the casting took into account star power, acting ability, and physical traits - and the ability to speak English.
- Paramount acquired DreamWorks for $1.6billion. The stand-alone studio's demise marked the end of a Hollywood era.
- The year ended with studio executives worried about the overall slump in the industry, despite some bright spots throughout the year -- every Hollywood studio could claim at least one $100 million picture. Revenues were down over 5% from the previous year (the largest year-to-year decline since 1985), and attendance dropped more than 7% (the lowest figure since 1997). And it was the first year in almost a decade in which only 17 films made over $100 million. Weekend box-office gross results beginning in late February slid for a record 19 weeks in a row, when compared to the corresponding period in 2004.
- Wedding Crashes was the top R-rated comedy since There's Something About Mary
- King Kong was the most expensive movie, costing $207m in production costs. King Kong featured a computer-generated Kong and had the largest number of special/visual effects shots in a single film. The more than 3,200 final shots in the film were culled from 3 million feet of live-action footage and 2,510 visual effects shots.
- There was a significant commercial trend in the film industry to release 'unrated' versions of R-rated and PG 13-rated films on DVD and videocassette, often with additional racy content that would have undoubtedly changed the original MPAA ratings of these films.
- Independent films made outside the Hollywood system faced an uphill battle this year. This was the first year since 1995 that every $100 million hit came from a major studio.
- The Weinstein's split from Disney and Miramax and started the Weinstein Company
- The trend of developing a name-blend for a celebrity super-couple continued with the prominent media and tabloid obsession over Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, dubbed "Brangelina." Their secret real-life pairing was rumored when they co-starred together in the action film Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005), leading afterwards to Pitt's separation and divorce from Jennifer Aniston in 2005 after five years of marriage.
- Horror films became one of the most lucrative genre franchises, due to the fact that they could be cheaply made, and were capable of attracting large audiences. For example, Saw (2004), Hostel (2005), and Saw II (2005) did tremendous box-office business, compared to their budget costs. A so-called "torture-porn" trend was inaugurated by these films and others, including Wolf Creek (2005, Aust.), The Devil's Rejects (2005), and Turistas (2006). The disturbing trend was highlighted by Eli Roth’s Hostel (2005), soundly condemned for its visceral excesses, and the detailed torture, dismemberment and mutilation suffered by a group of hedonistic American backpackers in Eastern Europe.
- The American Film Institute (AFI) released the eighth list in its continuing series, 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes, to recognize the top 100 movie quotes in cinematic history. The most memorable movie quote of all time that they selected was Clark Gable's retort to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind (1939): "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
- The stop-motion animation of Aardman Animation's comedy The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005, UK) used a record amount of Plasticine - the film required a massive 6,272 pounds of Plasticine in 42 colors. The film broke the earlier record of Chicken Run (2000, UK) which used 5,247 pounds of Plasticine.

and a new mini section:
FILM DEBUTS: -> these actors made their debuts in film in 2005
Carey Mulligan in Pride & Prejudice
Channing Tatum in Coach Carter
Chloe Grace Moretz in The Amityville Horror
Domnhall Gleeson in Boy Eats Girl
Justin Timberlake in Edison
Robert Pattinson in Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

Samantha Recommends:

2005 was the year that I already became obsessed & in love with the cinema, films, film industry & everything so this has been a fun year to write about <3 And here we hark back to my childhood for two of my favourite films ever when I was growing up. Narnia is an absolute spectacle, the visuals are incredible, the cast is so good (Tilda Swinton rules this *.*), this is a perfect and faithful adaptation of the novel and the plot rules. This is low-key an Xmas classic for me that I could and have watched over and over again. The score is sfg too and the Trailer still gives me goosebumps, I remember having one of those trailer compilation DVD's the magazines used to release back then and I'd watch it all the time!

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory is one of my all time faves and I love seeing the love and appreciation for it in this thread already. This was a staple of my childhood, Johnny Depp slays and the rest of the cast is so good and memorable. Obviously Veruca Salt is the best, a living queen and icon who was probs my fave character when I was younger (and who I aspired to be like, woo 5 year old me was full of bright ideas x). The visuals are sfg, the songs and sequences are amazing, I literally know this movie off-by heart. a true classic. I actually prefer this by quite a lot to the original ohmy.gif

Lots of honourable mentions again this time; Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit Madagascar & Nanny McPhee are all childhood classics that I've seen millions of times. Elizabethtown is so underrated & Kirsten Dunst is amazing in it, one of my all time faves. Red Eye is one of my favourite thrillers ever and I adore Flightplan too, the plane thrillers rocked in 2005. Valiant, March of the Penguins, Racing Stripes, Pooh's Heffalump Movie, Laura's Star & The Magic Roundabout were all childhood faves.

I don't believe either are currently available on streaming but I could be wrong!

What are your favourites? what are your movie memories of this year? what iconic movie song did you prefer, seasons of love or take me or leave me?

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 11th April 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

More cinema memories for me in 2005! Revenge Of The Sith was the biggie but I also made trips for Oceans 12 (awful), Meet The Fockers, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, War Of The Worlds and Goblet Of Fire!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 11th April 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Did anyone else like Johnny English? It got savaged, but I really liked it!

My other faves were Austin Powers, American Pie, LOTRs movies, Harry Potters, Kevin and Perry, ans Tomb Raider.

Also, I didn't realise Fockers was so old or that Hitchhikers even had a movie cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th April 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #47
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Box Office Hits
Borat - the Sacha Baron Cohen comedy was a major hit and really took ahold of the zeitgeist to become one of the biggest hits of the year. Borat grossed a massive $128m in the US, with a $26m opening weekend despite only playing in around 1,000 theatres. (16th for the year). Whilst it was an even bigger hit here in the UK, grossing a gigantic $46m for 5th best of the year, a hit that's still referenced today and the character of Borat is iconic.
Cars - another box office hit for Pixar, even if it didn't quite hit the heights of the last few. It earned $244m in the US for a top 3 finish whilst doing $30m in the UK to be 9th. obvs a great performance still but the reviews were weaker than usual for Pixar, but it more than made up for it in merchandise sales.
Casino Royale - the return of James Bond with Daniel Craig now in the titular role did gangbusters at the box office and was critically acclaimed, returning the franchise to form. Unsurprisingly this was the biggest hit in the UK of 2006, with a massive $110m. It was also a success in America with $167m placing it 9th.
Click - Probably because all his recent films have been Netflix, I forget just how big Adam Sandler's drawing power was in America. This earned $137m in the US (13th), whilst still doing pretty well in the UK with $15m (26th). Another major comedy box office smash for Sandler with a killer concept.
Flushed Away - Aardman's next film was another success for the company. FA did $22m in the UK (17th) and made $64m in the US (41st). This is still referenced quite a lot nowadays and had a killer voice cast.
Happy Feet - One of the biggest animations of the year was this penguins-musical-comedy classic. Happy Feet grossed $198m in America (7th) and had great legs, whilst finishing in the same position in the UK with a $37m total. One of the biggest hits of winter and an iconic animation.
Ice Age: The Meltdown - Another animation hit saw the Ice Age franchise explode even more. It did $52m (4th) in the UK and $195m in the US (8th). This received the best reviews of the franchise and cemented Scrat as a pop culture icon.
Mission Impossible III - The third Mission Impossible film did okay box office but kinda underwhelmed, making it look like this franchise was on its way out. MI did $134m in the US (14th), where it opened on the infamous first week of May and $29m in the UK (11th).
Night at the Museum - One of the big original smashes of the year, this definitely feels like one of Ben Stiller's more remembered hits from the decade. NatM was an Xmas smash with $40m (6th) in the UK and was massive in the US with $250m (2nd for the year). This was the hit of the Xmas period and saw that original films could still thrive.
Over the Hedge - DreamWorks next film got average reviews, had a beyond random voice cast, and grossed $155m in the US (11th) and $26m (13th) in the UK. A solid hit but nothing to write home about and feels quite forgotten again.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - by far the biggest hit of the year, the 2nd Pirates film was a runaway smash despite weaker reviews than the first. Pirates opened to $135m and grossed $423m in America and took 2nd place for the year in the UK with a gigantic $98m. a smash.
Superman Returns - The return to the big screen for Superman couldn't reap the same acclaim that Batman did and was Brandon Routh's only outing as the titular character. This acc did better at the box office than I thought it did ($200m, 6th in US and $30m, 10th in the UK) but weak reviews killed it and it's not remembered too fondly at all.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - One of Will Ferrell's biggest comedies in this decade in the US with $148m gross (12th). However this underperformed in the UK with $6.2m (68th for the year). Probs why I don't feel like this is really remembered at all nowadays
The Da Vinci Code - Based on the Dan Brown novel and starring Tom Hanks, this was another original smash whilst facing lots of religious controversy. However that helped boost box office takings with $217m (5th) in US and $55m for a distant 3rd place finish in the UK. Again like with many of the films above, this received mediocre reviews and doesn't feel too fondly remembered now. 2006 really wasn't a banner year oops.
The Devil Wears Prada - The rom-com starring Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt was a massive sleeper success during summer in the US and autumn in the UK. DWP grossed $124m in the US (17th) and $26m in the UK (12th), showing major legs in both countries as audiences responded greatly to the film. I would actually put forward an argument that this is the most remembered 2006 film as it really has stood the test of time with audiences and pop culture a lot more than basically all the above.
The Holiday - another cute Christmas box office hit with a killer cast including Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet. This was a big hit in the UK with $24m (15th), whilst slightly underperforming in the US with $63m (45th). It's yearly Christmas showings though has meant this film has stayed popular and appreciated.
X-Men: The Last Stand - And to finish this section, was another frontloaded sequel that earned a mediocre response from critics and isn't well regarded nowadays, often seen as one of the weakest X-Men films. Anyway that didn't deter its box office success; $234m (4th) in the US and $35m (8th) in the UK saw series bests but it was very front loaded though.

Unsurprisingly stomping on everything was Pirates 2 with $1.06b worldwide, which became the 3rd film at this point in time to gross over a billion. A gigantic success everywhere. 2006 saw the continued shifts towards sequels dominating the market place with many placing in the top 10 (Ice Age 3rd with a massive $660m for an animation at this time, Casino Royale 4th, X-Men 7th, Mission 3 8th, Superman 9th). However there were still some place for original flicks with Da Vinci Code being massive internationally and 2nd for the year with $758m, Night at the Museum 5th, Pixar's Cars 5th and Happy Feet 10th. All four of these films would receive sequels, the live-action ones we'll be covering in 2009 whilst the animated ones came out in 2011.

Iconic Classics
Barnyard - a fabulous Nickelodeon animated film which spawned the successful tv spin-off Back to the Barnyard, which I watched religiously. this was a solid box office hit both in the States and here and showed solid legs in both countries!
Basic Instinct 2 - for some reason they thought it was necessary to do a sequel to this like 15 years later. despite Sharon Stone returning, this bombed at the box office, but was successful at the Razzies.
Big Momma's House 2 - another sequel that improved upon the first and this was everywhere when I was younger.
Charlotte's Web - The classic book adaptation didn't hit the UK til 2007. It did solidly world-wide but I feel like expectations for this were higher and it feels completely forgotten about nowadays.
Children of Men - The Alfonso Cuaron film has gained a great reputation over the past decade and is highlighted as one of the decade's best and visually stunning.
Curious George - a classic animation based on the TV program. I always thought this was a big hit, esp in the UK, turns out it wasn't.
Date Movie - literally just iconic because it started the NEVER ENDING trend of spoof films that would hit cinemas for the next 3 years.
Deck the Halls - another Xmas classic that is basically shown on TV every single year. this didn't do great at the box office but who cares when I watch it every year <3
Eight Below - This was cute and also a cute box office hit
Eragon - Positioned as the Xmas blockbuster, this significantly underperformed and harmed any chance of this starting a successful franchise, also receiving mediocre reviews. a messT
Failure to Launch - the Sarah Jessica Parker comedy was another nice mid 2000's rom-com hit but feels slightly forgotten now
Final Destination 3 - The 3rd in the horror franchise saw a slight uptick in box office grosses and the franchise started to make a bigger name for itself.
Goal - One of the most famous football films, which says a lot.
Hoodwinked - The fairy-tale themed animation was another hit in this genre worldwide and feels quite remembered
Hostel - Mostly remembered for the wrong reasons and harrowing in the torture porn genre for the next few years.
Inside Man - Spike Lee's thriller which really doesn't feel like a Spike Lee film and features many A-listers, becoming one of Lee's biggest box office hits and this def feels remembered more than a lot of this list.
Jackass Number Two - the Jackass franchise continued to gain fans after a successful 2nd entry
Lady in the Water - This basically was the start of the end of M. Night Shylaman's career for the next decade with dreadful box office and even worse reviews.
Miami Vice - another TV adaptation turned movie with A-listers, wow these were the rage in the mid 2000's. again did solid but underperformed and isn't really remembered
Monster House - this has turned into a mini-halloween classic and is fondly remembered, unfortunately.
Pan's Labyrinth - Del Toro's Spanish-horror earned major critical acclaim and is still highly remembered nowadays, with a distinct visual style and a great plot & cast.
Poseidon - another blockbuster that was meant to be massive but bombed at the box office, 2006 really did love its misses.
Saw III - The 3rd in the franchise basically did the same as the 2nd at the box office and honestly couldn't rly tell them apart from this point.
Scary Movie 4 - This ended the franchise for a while but it still made good bank
She's The Man - the Amanda Bynes comedy has actually held up well and is often on lists of classic teen flicks
Silent Hill - The video game horror received mediocre reviews but good box office
Snakes on a Plane - another film with major hype to be a box office smash that did pretty badly in the end. reviews also weren't great and this ended up having a lot of hype at the time for a mediocre project that failed to deliver and ain't remembered anymore.
Step Up - Starting one of the most iconic dance franchises of all time, the first one was a solid hit and set the foundation in place for these movies to be everywhere towards the end of the decade.
Stormbreaker - The Alex icr the character's name and I used to love these books. anyway it did well in the UK but kinda underwhelmed everywhere else and this was another attempt to start a franchise that didn't take off.
The Break-Up - the Vince Vaughn-Jennifer Aniston rom-com-drama was a 2006 box office success and is one of there better remembered films.
The Descent - the chilling horror has a big reputation for being a horror classic of the noughties.
The Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift - this did dreadful at the box office and nearly killed the franchise for good. so close.
The Hills Have Eyes - another horror remake with mediocre reviews and solid box office, these were hitting their peak around 2006 with basically a new one every month
The History Boys - this did well in the UK and started the careers for many famous British actors and BBC2 is always showing it.
The Omen - basically see the hills have eyes, just slightly bigger and slightly worse reviews, with people only really remembering the original nowadays.
The Prestige - Nolan's film seems to be one of his most fondest received ones outside of his blockbusters.
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause - also finishing a trilogy was the Santa Clause franchise which does feel like its impact has faded nowadays when it comes to discussing Xmas films
The Shaggy Dog - a massive bomb for the Disney remake
The Wicker Man - the horror remake is more known for one of the most ridiculous performances of all time from Nicholas Cage and is known today just for all the gifs it created (the BEES)
The Wild - another Disney bomb and one of their worst performing films ever, bad reviews, painfully unfunny and unfortunate timing making it look like a complete rip-off of Madagascar didn't help
United 93/World Trade Centre - The first two 9/11 films were released in multiplexes in 2006. United 93 earned stronger reviews whilst WTC was more successfully at the box office. Many people felt these films came too soon though.
V For Vendetta - this has become something of a cult classic overtime, despite once again also underwhelming at the box office.

2006 was the year of either full on sweeps, last minute shocks, and surprise snubs. Let's start with Best Director. After many nominations and an ever-growing narrative, Martin Scorsese pretty much swept director everywhere for The Departed, finally winning his first Oscar. (The only other winner this season was Paul Greengrass' shock win at BAFTA's for United 93). The Departed was a box office smash and with critical acclaim + its director sweep, it ended up winning Best Picture! However the other award ceremonies saw other winners. Oscar best picture nominees The Queen, Little Miss Sunshine and Babel all took home respective wins in picture at BAFTA, SAG ensemble and Globe Drama. Winning Globes Comedy/Musical was Dreamgirls, which despite leading the Oscar noms tally with 8 noms, was shockingly snubbed in Picture despite arguably being the frontrunner before nominations were announced. A surprise. The 5th best pic nominee was Clint Eastwood's late breaker Letters From Iwo Jima overperforming.

Acting mostly consisted of sweeps in 2006. Jennifer Hudson won everything for her debut role in supporting actress in Dreamgirls. Helen Mirren in The Queen and Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland also swept their categories everywhere in Best Actress & Best Actor. The only other winners in those categories came in the Globe Musical/Comedy category where Meryl Streep won actress for The Devil Wears Prada and Sacha Baron Cohen won actor for Borat. Two fabulous and inspired noms, Meryl going lead ended up paying off as she scored her 14th Oscar nom and Sacha was probs v. close to an Oscar nom for Borat, I'd say he was 6th. The one shock category where a sweep was stopped last minute was supporting actor. Eddie Murphy had all the hype, won the Globe and SAG for his killer performance in Dreamgirls. However he was unseated by Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine who took home the BAFTA and then the Oscar in a major shock.

Amongst other nominees and snubs we had; Leonardo DiCaprio getting nominated in lead for Blood Diamond and not receiving a nom for The Departed; the latter being a confused campaign whether he was lead or supporting in it. The Departed acting noms were all over the place actually; Jack Nicholson was surprisingly snubbed in supporting actor after looking like a lock all season and it was Mark Wahlberg who was the acting nominee from the film in the end! Beyonce got a globe nom for Dreamgirls and so did Chiwetel Ejiofor in Kinky Boots, both films would become smash-hit Broadway and West End musicals. Emily Blunt was unfortunately snubbed in supporting for The Devil Wears Prada despite hitting most precursors. Ryan Gosling snuck into best actor for small indie Half Nelson and Daniel Craig scored a BAFTA nom for Casino Royale. BAFTA's also loved The History Boys, with Richard Griffiths and Frances de la Tour getting noms in Actor and Supporting Actress. In more same film, same category competition this year, Abigail Breslin got the Oscar nom instead of Toni Collette for Little Miss Sunshine. Best actress was the same pretty much everywhere this year (Cruz/Dench/Mirren/Streep/Winslet) .and ofc we had Peter O'Toole nominated in Best Actor for Venus. This was his 8th nomination and 8th loss, holding the record alongside Glenn Close for most noms and no wins.

other key award winners were Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed picking up script awards at the Oscars (LMS swept screenplay awards this season whilst The Departed had only won WGA, losing the BAFTA to the Last King of Scotland), and I Need To Wake Up from An Inconvenient Truth took home best song, beating three songs from Dreamgirls!. The Lives of Others was the winner of best foreign language film (in a v. competitive year that also included Pan's Labyrinth & letters from Iwo Jima) and a tough two-way race this season led to Happy Feet taking home the animated film Oscar. Happy Feet won the Oscar and BAFTA whilst Cars won at the Globes and Critics Choice.

also fun fact: At the age of 25 (and 166 days), Jennifer Hudson became the youngest African-American actor (male or female) to win an Oscar - for her Best Supporting Actress-winning role in Dreamgirls (2006).

another fun fact: The Departed is the only remake to win Best Picture

Notable Events - lots of facts for this year
- Disney purchased Pixar
- Ant & Dec made their big screen debut with Alien Autopsy. yay.
- United 93 and World Trade Centre about 9/11, was one of filmdom's quickest responses to a disaster
- The optical disc format war began in 2006 with the release of Blu-ray Discs ohmy.gif
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest opens grossing $55.8 million on its opening day, setting records for the largest opening day, the largest single day gross, and the largest Friday gross of all time. It broke more records with the largest opening weeknend ($135.6m) and meeting many box office milestones at a record pace.
- Pirates 2 was notable as the first film to combine digital CGI performances and live-physical actors together in the same composited shot (they no longer had to be filmed separately), due to ILM’s Imocap technology.
- Zyzzyx Road (2006) became the lowest-grossing Hollywood movie of all time, after a Dallas, Texas run of six days that made $30 at the box-office (although later reduced to $20 due to a refund). Its budget was $1.3 million, making it one of the biggest flops (percentage-wise) in film history.
- It was announced that actress Reese Witherspoon would attain the highest salary for a female for one film, becoming the highest paid actress of all time, for her $29 million deal to star/produce the horror thriller Our Family Trouble (2011). Her salary beat the previous record of $25 million held by Julia Roberts for Mona Lisa Smile (2003).
- Both Apple and Amazon began offering full-length on-demand movies on their websites
- Box office was up; dominated by CGI animations, comedy films with marquee comedians, franchises & sequels.
- In response to strong demand, LucasFilms finally released the long-awaited release of the unedited, uncut, and original theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD (sold for the first-time as stand-alone films).
- The third film in the series, Mission: Impossible III (2006) failed to be the action-thriller blockbuster that it was destined to be - it had a $47.7 million opening weekend at U.S. theaters, below the $65 million to $70 million that had been projected by some box office trackers. Speculation arose that this was, in part, due to cocky mega-star Tom Cruise's erratic behavior and off-screen public relations disasters, evidenced on NBC's Today Show with Matt Lauer, and the couch-jumping incident on the Oprah Winfrey Show. His strident Scientology advocacy and his denouncements in May 2005 against Brooke Shields regarding her use of anti-depressants for post-partum depression were also the focus of criticisms. At one time, 44 year-old Cruise was the industry's most successful and best-paid actor, but in August was dropped by parent company Viacom chairman Sumner Redstone and by his film studio, Paramount Pictures for his "unacceptable conduct" - after a 14 year production pact.
- John Cameron Mitchell's second feature Shortbus (2006) was screened both at the Cannes Film Festival, and at the Toronto International Film Festival - where it was the "most explicit" or sexually-graphic hard-core film ever screened. To date, it had the widest release of any film showing actual unsimulated sex.
- The Disney Channel's TV movie High School Musical (2006) was their most successful original movie ever produced. The film's soundtrack was the best-selling album in the United States for the year. The plot combined elements of Grease and Romeo and Juliet in its tale of two high school junior sweethearts (portrayed by Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens) who first met during vacation. They were brought together again when they both won lead parts in the high school musical, but trouble brewed since they were from rival cliques. -> I'm not rly including TV movies but this does need a mention ahaha
- The American Film Institute (AFI) released the ninth list in its continuing series, 100 Years...100 Cheers, to recognize 100 films as the most "inspirational" in cinematic history. Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life (1946) was named the most "inspirational" film of all time.
- 70% of teens said that they get their information about sex from the media - mostly from films.
- Audrey Hepburn's black cocktail Givenchy-designed dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), according to Guinness World Records, was sold to an anonymous bidder by Christie's, London, UK for $807,000 in 2006. It was regarded as "the most expensive film costume from a film."
- Superman Returns was the first Hollywood film with sequences converted from 2D to Imax 3D. However it was bid budget flop with $270m.
- The traditional model of theatrical movie distribution was being challenged with a triple-release strategy -- normally, the progression went from theatres, to hotels, to in-flight showings, to DVD a few months later. Director Steven Soderbergh's experimental, independent, R-rated, 73 minute film Bubble (2005), shot on hi-definition video, was the first motion picture released in theatres, while simultaneously available on pay-per-view cable channel HDNet and on DVD (four days later). Likewise, the dramatic comedy 10 Items or Less (2006), the first feature film released by actor/producer Morgan Freeman's joint-venture broadband entertainment service called ClickStar, was the first film in film history to debut in theatres and then become legally and simultaneously available via broadband within two weeks of national theatrical release.
- The Godfather: The Game was released
- Al Gore's film about global warming titled An Inconvenient Truth (2006) grossed $24.1 million - setting a record as the third-highest grossing non-IMAX/concert political documentary ever made. It was nominated for two Oscars and won both: Best Original Song ("I Need to Wake Up" by Melissa Etheridge) (the first win in the category for a documentary), and Best Documentary Feature.
- Comedian Tyler Perry became the first African-American to own (or found) a major TV and film studio - he founded the Tyler Perry Studios (TPS) in southwest Atlanta, Georgia
- Clerks II has the longest credits of any films to date; includes 163,070 names (listing all of Kevin Smith's own MySapce friends)
- Robert Altman passed away in late 2006.

and a new mini section:
FILM DEBUTS: -> these actors made their debuts in film in 2006
Armie Hammer in Flicka
Eddie Redmayne in Like Minds
Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls - we stan an Oscar winning debut
Mia Wasikowska in Surburban Mayhem
Rami Malek in Night at the Museum
Rebecca Hall in Starter For 10

Samantha Recommends:

2006 was a pretty good year but outside of my top 4, it lacks absolute all-time favourites for me. Also whilst writing this, I didn't realise how many bombs there were or how many sequels were like the weakest of their franchise oops. Anyway back to me, Happy Feet is my fave of the year. Just simply joyous, amazing voice work by the cast, I was obsessed with the Penguins and would watch this all the time when I was younger and the music and choice of songs was SO good <3 It was fab to see this become a massive hit. However, and controversial opinion time, I actually love the 2nd one even more. ohmy.gif

Pan's Labyrinth is such an epic and striking film. The cast is amazing in this and I'm glad this broke through at the Oscars in the visuals categories, because the production design, use of colour and visuals and characters in this film are so absolutely striking and incredible and makes you pay so much attention to the set detail. A great plot too packed with lots of historical events background for y'all that love that kinda stuff like me and this film really hit me hard, both emotionally and visually. a classic and for me, Del Toro's best.

quite a few honourable mentions but this years batch is definitely weaker than the last couple years and most wouldn't have made my top 5 the last two years anyway we have: Borat (absolutely hilarious), Barnyard (a major fave of mine and I watched this 24/7 when I was younger), Curious George, Charlotte's Web, Flushed Away (childhood faves), Deck the Halls and The Holiday (another year of two xmas classics), The Devil Wears Prada (Meryl and Emily are both Oscar-worthy in this), Children of Men

I don't believe either are currently available on streaming but I could be wrong!

What are your favourites? what are your movie memories of this year? what iconic movie song did you prefer from Happy Feet?

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th April 2020, 11:38 PM
Post #48
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

FFS Sam. LET ME CATCH UP

Neyde.png

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 12th April 2020, 12:07 AM
Post #49
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Scream 4 was 2006??

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th April 2020, 12:26 AM
Post #50
Group icon

2003:

'Finding Nemo' is one of my all time favourite movies. Definitely top 3 with 'Avengers: Infinity War' and 'Se7en'. I rewatched it like a week ago and it holds up incredibly well. The attention to detail in the animation is astounding and revolutionary. I also love the small things like Marlin going to hold his breath before he pops out to look at the top of the ocean! It's the little things wub.gif Smashing the DVD sales *.* S L A Y

'Elf' is another huge fave. Without fail, it's been my first Christmas movie of Christmas season, every year for the last 9 years or so (when I first watched it - yes I was late to that party! In fact, it wasn't until like 4 or 5 years ago I found out it was actually a film from as early as 2003!

I've still never seen 'Love Actually', oops! Also, 'Brother Bear' is cute! 'Lost In Translation' is very good. Scarlett is brilliant in it. I've never seen 'Monster' or 'Thirteen' though </3 Both are on my list!

'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' from this year craps all over the boring original. Probably my favourite remake of all time. I rewatched this recently too and it's still so good! 'Final Destination 2' is so much fun, too! A worthy sequel!

'Honey'!! 2nd to only 'Step Up 2: The Streets' as my favourite dance movie *.* Yolanda Adams - I Believe slaps SO HARD! WHAT A SONG!

'School Of Rock' is good fun. I've never seen 'The Room' but have always been meaning to :') I've seen 'The Disaster Artist' and I get an idea of what went off lmao!

I had NO IDEA Scarlett hadn't been nominated for Oscars up until this year (where she was double nommed no less *.*). Wow. That's crazy.

Ooh would you look at that, even Disney tried to forget 'Home On The Range' happened, before it even happened by announcing that 'Brother Bear' would be the last 2-D Disney movie :')

Gregory Peck getting mentioned a couple of times reminds me, I really need to see 'To Kill A Mockingbird'!

---
2004:

The year that my favourite Harry Potter movie was released wub.gif Gary Oldman was PERFECT as Sirius Black. The movie that definitely took it from a PG to a 12A (which was introduced in 2002 magic.gif) SO good. wub.gif

Speaking of favourites, the birth of my favourite horror franchise 'SAW' heart.gif The first would be perfectly fine on it's own. It's got incredible twists in it. My jaw literally dropped to the floor when I first watched this. Amazing. 2 and 3 were SO good too. 4, 5, 6 & 7 all vary, but were still somewhat enjoyable.

'Mean Girls' is good fun! I saw it for the first time in 2012 though :') So, I was very late to that party loooool. 'The Notebook' is incredible. So beautiful!

'Shrek 2' was definitely huge. It's even more surprising (and kinda heart warming) to read that everyone had expected it to be panned/under perform slightly. But it ended up doing the complete opposite and was a huge smash which, as a huge film fan, is great to see. What over took this as the highest grossing animation? 'Toy Story 3'?

'Spider-Man 2' is enjoyable. I've only ever seen 'The Day After Tomorrow', once. I can't remember a single thing about it other than the DVD cover :') I shall rewatch at some point though. Jake wub.gif

'The Incredibles' is really overrated! It's constantly in people's top 5 Pixar lists and it's bottom 5 for me. Not a lot happens at all and I just get underwhelmed by it every time I watch it sad.gif Like, it's Pixar so it's a solid movie, just nowhere near as good as everyone likes to think it is sad.gif

'Shaun Of The Dead'! One of my all time favourite movies. Just so watchable and quoteable! The same goes for 'Team America'. Incredible film and has the greatest sex scene of all time.

It seems that 2004 was the year for cult classics! 'Eternal Sunshine..' (good but overrated imo), 'Garden State', 'Napoleon Dynamite', 'Christmas With The Kranks', 'The Machinist', 'Anchorman', 'The Butterfly Effect', 'Mysterious Skin' & 'Dawn Of The Dead' (as well as 'Team America' ofc), all seemed to do ok, but are definitely thought of a lot more highly nowadays I think! A lot of people really like that version of DOTD! I rewatched CWTK over Christmas and I actually enjoyed it more now than I ever did when I first saw it (I hated it so didn't really watch it again until recently).

'The Butterfly Effect' is fantastic! Absolutely brilliant.

LOL 'Home On The Range' :')

'White Chicks' is insanely popular still. It's position in Pop culture rn is honestly up there with 'Mean Girls'. Especially as Terry Crews is in Brooklyn-99 now.

I need to see 'Mysterious Skin', 'Ray', 'Million Dollar Baby', 'The Polar Express' (TINASHE *.*), 'The Machinist' & 'Hotel Rwanda'. I haven't seen 'Crash' but I don't want to :') But maybe I should? I have 'Two Brothers' but have never seen it. Tbh, I daren't. I feel like my heart will be ripped to shreds.

Why did Disney try and stop Fahrenheit 9/11? ohmy.gif

Halle Berry turning up at the Razzies *.*

---

So insightful again *.* We stan.

It's so late though, so if I get up early enough I'll do 2005, 2006 and 2007 tomorrow morning. If not. I have a LOOOOOONG night ahead of me :')

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th April 2020, 01:04 AM
Post #51
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Apr 12 2020, 12:38 AM) *
FFS Sam. LET ME CATCH UP

Neyde.png

!!!!! I gotta get these done ASAP cry.gif 2007 will probs be up in like an hour and a half kink.gif after that though that means I can spread 2008 and 2009 out tomorrow and have it all finished, so Sunday evening and Monday can just be catching up and comments and me replying to all y'all comments ahaha x <3

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 12th April 2020, 01:19 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

The Prestige - OMG yes, this is the best movie of 00's for me wub.gif I just loved it from start to finish. I discovered that Nolan did this one after I watched Dark Knight and Inception and then I was like 'No wonder I loved The Prestige'...apparently having a fave movie maker is a real thing after all!!!

FILM DEBUTS: -> these actors made their debuts in film in 2006
Armie Hammer in Flicka
Eddie Redmayne in Like Minds
Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls - we stan an Oscar winning debut

Mia Wasikowska in Surburban Mayhem
Rami Malek in Night at the Museum
Rebecca Hall in Starter For 10

So many talents in that list...4 of them already oscar winners...Armie was robbed of Oscar nom for Call Me By Your Name sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th April 2020, 04:44 AM
Post #53
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Box Office Hits - so many I've acc had to demote some big big hits to the next section
300 - this was a massive hit in the fantasy/action genre, grossing $210m in the US (10th for the year) and $28m in the UK for 16th place.
Alvin & the Chipmunks - starting one of the most iconic and best franchises of all time, Alvin and the Chipmunks was immediately a massive hit over the Xmas franchise with $217m in America (9th) and $23m in the UK (22nd). catch this classic and the rest of the franchise on ITV2 atm. so many classic songs in this *.*
Bee Movie - this did solid enough at the box office; $18m (29th) in UK and $126m (21st) in US. But how could I not include this as its become absolutely iconic overtime and ubitiquous in pop culture for its LIFECHANGING script. iconic.
Disturbia - the Shia LaBeouf thriller marked the first of 3 hits in his breakthrough year and made $80m in the US, with great legs from a $22m opening. I rly want this to go on Netflix or something as I feel it'd gain more of a following again aha.
Enchanted - Amy Adams' Disney classic, which we are still waiting for the sequel for ffs. Enchanted was a much needed hit for Disney over the Thanksgiving period, earning $127m in America (20th) whilst being an even larger hit in the UK $33m (13th) which surprised me.
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer - This did slightly less than its predecessor ($132m, 18th in US and $24m, 19th in the UK), a massive budget, and once again weak reviews killed this iteration of this franchise.
Hairspray - a musical CLASSIC, based on the original non-musical film and the stage show, Hairspray had one of the buzziest ensembles of the year. Was also a big box office hit with $25m in the UK (18th) and $118m in the US (24th), big numbers for a musical!
Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix - Harry was reaching new heights in the UK as we get to entry number five, grossing $101m in the UK to be the top film of the year and eked out Shrek 3 for the highest opening of the year by a mere $30,000! Despite box office improvements in the US for this entry ($292m), it could only place 5th for the year cos of tougher competition.
Hot Fuzz - the British comedy with the reteaming of Wright-Pegg-Frost did solid numbers in the US for a v. British property ($23m, 101st), it was a gigantic hit in the UK and smashed with $41m for 12th place! this is still seen as a classic nowadays and is ofc the middle entry of the Cornetto trilogy.
I Am Legend - once again showing the height of Will Smith's box office power in the mid 2000's, this did $51m in the UK (7th) and a massive $256m (6th) in the US. This was 2007's big Xmas hit and posted massive numbers for an original project. though this does feel slightly forgotten for how big it was nowadays.
Knocked Up - The film that sent Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen's career into the stratosphere as we get closer to the 2010's, whilst also being a massive career boost for Katherine Heigl for all of three years. Anyway this posted massive numbers for an original comedy; $148m (14th) in US and $16m (32nd) in the UK. This had great legs in both countries with OW making up 20% of total gross, showing the audience loved this film! It's still really well regarded today.
Live Free or Die Hard - the next entry in the Die Hard franchise came after a long break and did solid numbers; $28m (15th) in the UK and $134m (17th) in the US but was quite frontloaded. I think this is seen as one of the better entries in the franchise.
Mr Bean's Holiday - Like Hot Fuzz, this did solid numbers in America ($33m, 79th) but was a gigantic hit here in the UK as British audiences couldn't get enough of this classic character on-screen, grossing $44m to be the 11th biggest film of the year. Mr Bean ofc still remains an iconic character to date.
National Treasure: Book of Secrets - This actually improved on the first film in America with $220m (8th) so I'm always surprised this didn't turn into a trilogy. Probably why its success feels low-key forgotten nowadays.
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Coming straight off the back of DMC, AWE was seen as one of 3 MONSTER films being released in May 2007 (the battle of the sequels of the biggest 2000's franchises; Spider-Man vs Shrek vs Pirates). In this battle, Pirates came 3rd (and 4th for the year) in America with $309m whilst being the highest in this battle in thee UK and 2nd in the year with $81m. Despite a massive budget and a decline from DMC, this was still a major hit for Disney.
Ratatouille - Another Pixar success, this was the 8th biggest film in the UK with $48m whilst it just missed the top 10 for the year in America with $206m, what a shame. This had great legs worldwide and is seen as top-tier Pixar for many people today and kickstarted their 2nd golden era of critically acclaimed smashes.
Shrek The Third - The biggest animation ofc goes to Shrek 3, showing how gigantic this franchise was at the times. Whilst also declining from Shrek 2, it made $322m (2nd) in the US and $78m (3rd) in the UK. Gigantic numbers but this marked the beginning of the end of the franchise with reviews starting to become more negative for the third outing.
Spider-Man 3 - Talking of negative reviews for the third outing, Tobey Maguire's final Spider-Man film received a pretty bad audience reaction. It was the highest grossing film of the year in the US with $336m, but was incredibly frontloaded considering it opened to $151m. SM3 was 5th for the year in the UK with $67m. Massive numbers but imagine how high this could've gone with good reactions. This also kickstarted the superhero May opening weekend trend which is still going on.
St Trinians - idek if this got a release in the US. anyway featuring a massive British cast with icons such as Sarah Harding, St Trinian's was a bit box office hit in the UK with $24m (20th) and was incredibly backloaded. However for a British film, this does feel forgotten about here nowadays and I always forget it got a sequel.
Stardust - whilst this bombed in the US ($38m, 71st), this was absolutely gigantic in the UK and really caught on here with $31m (14th), showing great legs from a $4.5m opening. I do not remember this being so big here and it doesn't feel like it was. However it spawned one of the biggest songs of 2007, Take That's Rule The World.
Superbad - Another comedy hit marking the shift in what would become the 2010's comedies occurred here. Superbad did solidly in the UK ($13m, 35th), but was a massive hit in the US with $121m, 22nd. This ofc broke Jonah Hill out, most of the cast went onto bigger and better things and marked the film debut of Emma Stone <3 this is still highly remembered today and seen as a comedy classic.
The Bourne Ultimatum - The third Bourne film saw the peak of the franchise; with $227m in the US (7th) and $47m in the UK (10th). This was a major late summer hit and was the highest critically acclaimed entry in the franchise, and is still seen as the best nowadays.
The Golden Compass - Another film that bombed in the US ($70m, 39th) but was actually a major hit in the UK ($53m, 6th). However it's UK success wasn't enough to make up for this being a disaster worldwide, with it bankrupting New Line and making a loss and killing any chance of a potential franchise/Narnia like hit. a messT. the film received meh reviews but the book/project is still remembered today.
The Simpsons Movie - It's 13 years since American's favourite family made their one film outing!! and what an iconic film. This so nearly took the title of the biggest animation of the year in the UK with $78m (4th), whilst also posting massive numbers in the US ($183m, 12th). It was unusually frontloaded for an animation in the US with 40% of it's total occurring on opening weekend. However this is still seen as a classic nowadays and one of the Simpsons highest highs.
Transformers - the start of one of the biggest franchises of the decade kicked off with a bang as the Michael Bay-Shia LaBeouf-Megan Fox Hasbro-toy based film was the biggest original project of the year; with $319m in the US (3rd, only $17m away from the top spot) and $48m in the UK (9th and $16,000 from beating Rat), making this a gigantic box office smash that annihilated even the highest of expectations. This is definitely seen as the best and most fun of the Bay Transformers movies, even if that's not saying much.
Wild Hogs - I don't actually think anyone remembers this exists. It did okay in the UK ($12m, 40th) but this made $168m (13th) in the US?!!!! Idek how.

With so many massive sequels, 2007 saw a very close race at the top for the franchises at the global box office. Pirates 3 won out with $963m, Harry 5 not far behind with $940M and was followed by Spidey 3 ($890m) and Shrek 3 ($813m). However the only other sequel was National Treasure 2 with $457m in 9th (this rly was massive!). Despite this, Ratatouille and I Am Legend were the only original films in 6th and 7th. Also placing were Transformers in 5th ($709m), The Simpsons Movie in 8th and 300 in 10th. a nice and varied year and the first time this decade Disney had 3 films top 10! this was the last year to date where no film has grossed $1b worldwide (I would say this probs won't ever lose this stat, but 2020 is coming for its money)

Iconic Classics
28 Weeks Later - the Zombie sequel was a mini-success but earned less acclaim and money than its predecessor and only the first one really feels remembered.
1408 - a nice mini-hit Stephen King adaptation that feels more remembered than it should be.
Beowulf - this had big expectations which it couldn't quite meet
Blades of Glory - another Will Ferrel comedy smash this decade, and one of the most famous winter sports films
Bratz: The Movie - ICONIC. WHEN WILL UR FAVS. Bratz got an iconic big screen outing and should be remembered by everybody <3
Bridge to Terabithia - this has kind of turned into a mini dark childhood classic over the years and did very well at the box office
Epic Movie - my fave of the spoof movies before they became oversaturated. this was frontloaded but a box office hit.
Evan Almighty - the sequel to Bruce Almighty, replacing Jim Carrey with Steve Carell, bombed big time and killed this franchise off for good. It also received dreadful reviews and is pretty much forgotten nowadays.
Fred Claus - a big Xmas box office hit (bigger than the likes of Christmas with the Kranks, Love Actually and Bad Santa in the states) but thankfully feels forgotten now and Vince Vaughn has a way better Xmas film next year.
Ghost Rider - Nicholas Cage's comic book adaptation received lots of hype and did solidly at the box office, whilst receiving average reviews.
Grindhouse - the Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez joint project is probs the least impactful thing Tarantino has ever done but is still remembered just cos of his name.
Halloween - 2007 got another Halloween remake cos that was what was really needed. this however did good at the box office despite poor reviews.
Hannibal Rising - something else that was really needed, a prequel for Hannibal. Audiences had completely had enough of him by this point and rejected this, like critics did too.
Hitman - another video-game adaptation in the mid 2000's that missed the mark it aimed for. Does feel more remembered than most of the video-game failures this decade though
Hostel: Part II/The Hills Have Eyes 2 - 2007 was the quick-cash-in sequels of 2006 horror hits that then bombed unsurprisingly as the cheap horrors were starting to fade and always get critically attacked with the genre in desperate need of a resurrection as the torture-porn horror started to decline.
I Know Who Killed Me - an iconic Lindsay Lohan film in a dual performance. Need I say more? Ofc this was successful at the Razzies
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - another big Adam Sandler box office hit this decade, whilst receiving one of the worst reviews of his output which says a lot.
Meet The Robinsons - another minor hit for Disney, didn't do awfully but didn't set the box office on fire either and def is nowhere near highly remembered amongst the Disney canon
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium - This was such a cute Xmas hit but feels so forgotten nowadays that even I forgot that it existed despite watching it all the time when I was younger. I feel this isn't rly on tv that much over Xmas anymore.
Music & Lyrics - the Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore rom-com was another hit in the genre that year and is a fab film that is kinda remembered!
Norbit - Eddie Murphy's diabolical comedy, that was so bad people think it contributed to his shock Oscar loss for Dreamgirls. Kinda remembered nowadays tho for how bad it was
Ocean's Thirteen - did similar business to the first two again, but declined slightly and was the end of the franchise. doesn't get the hit status like the first two cos 2007 was PACKED.
Once - the small-budget musical made a name for itself through the iconic song Falling Slowly and the future broadway/London production of the musical
P.S. I Love You - the Hilary Swank romantic drama was a big box office hit in the UK and did well in the US, based off a romantic novel this is big amongst the soccer moms circles and the Karen's.
Run, Fat Boy, Run - this was a really big hit here in the UK for Simon Pegg but couldn't be put in hits cos of about 5 more solely British films/hits smashing even bigger. this feels completely forgotten nowadays though.
Rush Hour 3 - the franchise had died by this point, it still did well at the box office but it had become a bit of a no1curr.
Saw IV - the 4th sequel was the start of the decline in reviews and box office but was still going strong
Surf's Up - the animation with a fab voice cast did solid box office business and still feels quite well regarded nowadays!
Sunshine - Danny Boyle's sci-fi received mixed reviews and is often either loved or hated
The Darjeeling Limited - another mini mid-hit for Wes Anderson this decade
The Game Plan - the start of Dwayne Johnson's ascent to full movie stardom with this sports movie becoming a surprise box office hit
The Mist - the Stephen King adaptation has gained a cult following over the year
The Orphanage - the foreign-language horror was highly acclaimed and is still passionately raved by horror fans
The Seeker: The Dark is Rising - One of the biggest bombs at the US box office ever.
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - literally just including this cos I loved it. I'm probs the only person that remembers its existence. Stunning visually too.
Waitress - a mini hit in 2007 that's since become best known through the highly successful Broadway/UK musical and also was a great role for Keri Russell *.*
Zodiac - the David Fincher thriller with an all star ensemble earned fantastic reviews and has held up well nowadays

Wow 2007. a year defined by the Writers Strike, with the Globes not even having an awards ceremony as the winners were announced at a news conference. This year was CRAZY, every precursor had random nominations EVERYWHERE and led to some of the most shocking Oscar noms for a while. However No Country For Old Men was the predominant film of the season. It was the Oscar Best Picture winner and also won the SAG for Best Ensemble. Also winning a Best Pic award this season was Oscar BP nominee Atonement in Globes Drama and Sweeney Todd in Globes Comedy. The other Oscar best pic nominees were Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood and Juno. Joel & Ethan Coen also won the award for Director at the Oscars and BAFTA's. However in a complete shock, Julian Schnabel took home best director for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly at the Globes.

Acting was weird. We had two runaway winners, one two horse race and one of the tightest 5-way races of the decade. Javier Bardem won basically every possible award in Supporting Actor for No Country For Old Men and Daniel Day-Lewis swept everything as well in lead on his way two win a 2nd Best Actor Oscar for There Will Be Blood. Johnny Depp was the winner at the Globes Comedy/Musical for Sweeney Todd. The best actress race was between French newcomer Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose and British veteran Julie Christie for Away From Her. Both won at the Globes, whilst Christie took SAG, but it was Cotillard who won the BAFTA and her first Oscar for her turn as Edith Piaf.

And then we have best supporting actress, wow this was a race. Amy Ryan took home the critics choice for Gone Baby Gone, Cate Blanchett won the globe for her turn as Bob Dylan in I'm Not There and then out of nowhere, American legend Ruby Dee wins SAG for her small turn in American Gangster. All three were nominated for the Oscar and were the only Oscar noms their films received, making it a rarity of three lone nominees. They were joined by Saoirse Ronan who became one of the youngest ever nominees for Atonement and Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton, who took home the BAFTA and Oscar win in the end. such a close race!

And I told you this year was crazy, we gonna break this down by ceremony, amongst other nominees and snubs we had;
Golden Globes - 7 nominees in Best Picture Drama, including Denzel Washington's The Great Debaters getting a completely random lone nom here. Jodie Foster was nommed in Actress for the panned The Brave One. McAvoy and Knightley hit the Globes for Atonement but didn't make it further. The legend herself, Nikki Blonsky, was nominated for Hairspray. John Travolta also scored a supporting actor nom for Hairspray (I never knew this!), Julia Roberts popped up in supporting for Charlie Wilson's War and Bee Movie was a golden globe nominee
SAG - more craziness kicked off. a youthful looking year for once looked set to happen in best actor with Ryan Gosling (Lars & The Real Girl) and Emile Hirsch (Into the Wild) both scoring noms here. Angelina Jolie for a Mighty Heart got both Globes & SAG noms and looked to be a safe nominee. SAG went crazy for Into The Wild, nominating it in ensemble, actor, supporting actor (Hal Holbrook) and supporting actress (Catherine Keener). Tommy Lee Jones got a supporting nom for No Country for Old Men. Ensemble was so random with 3:10 to Yuma randomly getting in here and one of my fave ever noms being Hairspray making it into this category!
BAFTA - and ofc we can rely on BAFTA to bring even more craziness during this decade. American Gangster somehow made best pic despite no acting representation. They went crazy for The Lives of Others, which hit film, director & Actor (Ulrich Muhe). Paul Greengrass was nommed in director for Bourne Ultimatum. McAvoy & Knightley were nominated again. Whilst Kelly Macdonald (who deserved so much better that season) for No Country for Old Men and Samantha Morton scored supporting actress noms for Control. and Shia LaBeouf took home the rising star award *.*

and onto Oscars itself - Joe Wright missed director for Atonement, Tommy Lee Jones in In The Valley of Elah and Laura Linney in the Savages score actor & actress noms despite hitting zero precursors. Despite TLJ being in best pic winner, he was actually snubbed at the Oscars for No Country For Old Men. all three of the young Best Actor contenders (McAvoy/Gosling/Hirsch) ALL missed despite everyone predicting at least one of them, Angelina Jolie missed shockingly.
in terms of secure noms not already mentioned in this section were - Clooney and Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton, Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth: The Golden Age (she actually made the razzie longlust for the same performance!!!), Ellen Page for Juno, Viggo Mortensen for Eastern Promises and Casey Affleck for The Assassination of Jesse James... and Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Charlie Wilson's War, one of three films he was in contention for that year.

damn we need another year like this badly!!

other key award winners were No Country For Old Men and Juno picking up script awards at the Oscars (Juno swept screenplay awards this season whilst Diving Bell won BAFTA), and Falling Slowly from Once took home best song in a shock, beating three songs from Enchanted!. The Counterfeiters was the winner of best foreign language film (Diving Bell won the Globe and last years Oscar winner The Lives of Others won BAFTA) and Ratatouille swept animated film everywhere.

also fun fact: Ellen Page became the first under-21 American actress to be nominated for a Best Actress Oscar nomination, for her role in Juno (2007). The only other three non-US actresses nominated before her who were also under 21 were Isabelle Adjani (for The Story of Adele H. (1975)), Keisha Castle-Hughes (for Whale Rider (2003)), and Keira Knightley (for Pride & Prejudice (2005).

another fun fact: Joel and Ethan Coen won the Best Director Oscar for No Country for Old Men (2007), marking only the second time in Oscar history that two individuals shared the directing honor. It had first occurred when Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins shared the Best Director win for West Side Story (1961).

Notable Events -
- The Tribeca Film Festival saw big premieres such as Spider-Man 3 and Surf's Up
- 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days won the Palme d'Or - it was known as the Romanian Abortion Film
- The Writer's Guild of America (WGA) went on strike in early November 2007 after a stalemate in negotiations occurred with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). Issues included increased compensation for the film and TV writers for DVD residuals and compensation for "new media" distribution (content distributed through emerging digital technologies, such as the Internet, including downloads, streaming, smart phones, and video on demand, etc.). When the 3-month strike ended in mid-February 2008, it was estimated that it resulted in a total loss of $2.5 billion show-business. The 100-day, industry-wide Writers Guild of America strike was resolved 12 days before the Academy Awards ceremony was scheduled to take place in 2008, leaving it unaffected. -> one of the biggest events of the decade, causing major production delays and hits and saw many changes in the film industry in this time; the Golden Globe winners were read out in a press conference! fascinating times.
- The American Film Institute (AFI) held its 10 year anniversary of 100 Years...100 Movies series begun in 1998, and revised its 100 Greatest American Films listing, retaining Citizen Kane (1941) as its number one choice.
- The film magazine Premiere, which first began publishing in the US in the pre-Internet world of 1987, issued its final print publication with its April 2007 issue.
- Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni passed away on July 30th 2007
- The film magazine Premiere, which first began publishing in the US in the pre-Internet world of 1987, issued its final print publication with its April 2007 issue.
- At the Razzies, Eddie Murphy received a single-year record five nominations for one film: Norbit (2007): three acting nominations (one for each character he played: Norbit, Mr. Wong, and Rasputia), one for Worst Screen Couple (for his multiple characters again) and one for Worst Screenplay.
- The highest-grossing movie series of all-time, up to this date, was the Harry Potter films, five films from 2001 to 2007, grossing $4.69 billion (worldwide). Next closest were the 21 Bond films, beginning with Dr. No (1962) through Casino Royale (2006), grossing $4.355 billion (worldwide).
- The MPAA, formed in 1922, had long warred with filmmakers and studios over the content of films and its voluntary ratings system. Everything came to head with director/producer Kirby Dick's documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006), which demonstrated how difficult it was to learn who served on the MPAA board and how it made ratings decisions. A film's rating could often seriously impact a film's success, and often dictated that a filmmaker's vision had to be edited or revised in order to avoid an NC-17 rating. The MPAA met with independent filmmakers and studio executives at the Sundance Film Festival, and discussed changes and revisions that the organization intended to make - for example, make ratings rules and regulations public, describe the standards for each rating and the appeals process, reveal more about the board's members, and allow a filmmaker to cite scenes in another film when appealing a harsh rating.
- In late February of 2007, Netflix (a subscription service launched in September 1999) announced the delivery of its billionth DVD. It took the DVD rental company about seven and a half years to reach that milestone. Netflix claimed it was less time than it took McDonald's to sell one billion hamburgers. In April of 2009, only a little over two years later, it again announced its 2 billionth DVD delivery. -> a company you may have heard of this decade
- Director Adam Rifkin's fictional feature film titled Look (2007), with interweaving story-lines, was the first U.S. mainstream movie to depict events solely through the "eyes" and point-of-view of surveillance devices and video cameras
- From Russia With Love (1963, UK) became the first James Bond film to be broadcast on BBC-TV.
- Superbad became the highest grossing teen comedy of all time
- Beowulf used advanced motion-capture technology to transform live action into digital animation, it received the biggest 3D rollout of any film in history at this point.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) opened at 4,362 theaters on its opening weekend - an all-time record. The film also set the record as the most expensive film ever made (not adjusted for inflation), setting a new bar at $300 million budgeted for production costs. (If adjusted for inflation to 2010, it would be $315 million. Cleopatra (1963) at $44 million in 1963 equated to $310 million in 2010 dollars.)
- I Know Who Killed Me also broke Razzie records with 9 noms and 8 wins.
- Spider-Man 3 had the biggest US opening weekend of all time
- Hollywood experienced its first-ever $4billion summer

and a new mini section:
FILM DEBUTS: -> these actors made their debuts in film in 2007
Andrew Garfield in Lions for Lambs
Andy Samberg in Hot Rod
Christopher Mintz-Plasse in Superbad
Legend Emma Stone in Superbad *.*
Gemma Arterton in St Trinian's
Katherine Waterston in Michael Clayton
Michael Fassbender in 300
Legend Saoirse Ronan in Atonement and I Could Never Be Your Woman
Tom Hiddleston in Unrelated
Zoe Kravitz in No Reservations

Samantha Recommends:

2007 was a good year. However the top 2 was runaway, with only Atonement coming close. Hairspray is one of my favourite musicals of all time. The ensemble is INCREDIBLE (Amanda Bynes & John Travolta are personal highlights and Zac Efron serves one of the best he's ever looked, everyone else is fab too), the colours and visual style are amazing, the soundtrack is KILLER (so much so that I've accidentally brought it 4 times cos I kept forgetting I owned it). You Can't Stop The Beat is the perfect end musical number and others like Without Love/The Nicest Kids in Town/Ladies Choice/Run & Tell That are all perfect <3 I literally know all the lyrics and I've seen this so many times. Just perfection <3

The Simpsons Movie is another all time favourite that I watched 24/7 when I was a kid. the motel scene with Close To You and the dome over Springfield <3. The characters are ofc iconic and amazing in this and ALL get their moment to shine. The plot is great and this doesn't ever feel like a rip-off movie. Laugh out loud moments with all the heart of the best of the Simpsons makes this an absolute triumph and one of the year's best.

this years batch is definitely weaker in terms of big highlights than the last few years and most wouldn't have made my top 5 the last few years: the only film that came rly close to my top 2 was Alvin & the Chipmunks but I preferred the 2nd one so it was a quite comfortable 3rd here. (EDIT: actually Atonement as well, I keep forgetting to include Oscar films cos I do that writeup last aha. I adore Atonement, the ensemble and plot is incredible. Also Dreamgirls would've been in my top 2 for 2006 but I forgot about it oops). This year had loads of films I really really liked but didn't absolutely love haha but I thought I'll give them a shoutout anyway (Mr Bean's Holiday, Epic Movie, Music & Lyrics, Once, Surf's Up, The Game Plan, The Water Horse, Mr Magorium's Wonderful Emporium - another fab xmas flick, Hot Fuzz, Shrek the Third, Bratz: The Movie - iconic and so fun idec)

What are your favourites? what are your movie memories of this year? what iconic movie song did you prefer, Rule the World or You Can't Stop The Beat?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th April 2020, 04:45 AM
Post #54
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

and we will round up with 2008 and 2009 tomorrow!!

+Quote this post
danG
post 12th April 2020, 07:55 AM
Post #55
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

great read! here's what I've seen from the list:

2000:
Chicken Run [didn't like]
X Men [I think it was this one, I do remember watching one of the earlier ones that was on Netflix]

2001:
Monsters Inc
Shrek [iconic!]
LOTR [loved this whole trilogy, I should make an effort to watch it again sometime this year]
Spy Kids [loved this trilogy as a kid but I get the feeling it would age badly if I ever give it a rewatch]

2002:
About a Boy
Austin Powers [can't remember if it was this exact one but I did see a fair few of them I think it was about 10 years ago]
Ice Age
Spiderman
Star Wars 2
LOTR 2
Spy Kids 2

2003:
Elf [I only finally watched it about 2 years ago I think it was, it did somewhat live up to the hype]
Finding Nemo [fave of the year - it may even be my all time fave kids film]
Johnny English
Love Actually [didn't enjoy it oops]
LOTR 3
Terminator 3
School of Rock [this was also a fave way back in the day]
Spy Kids 3

2004:
Mean Girls [this was as a Buzzjack watch along! probs wouldn't have seen it otherwise]
Shark Tale
Shrek 2 [fave of the year, though Incredibles comes close - never got round to Shrek 3 surprisingly considering how much I liked the first 2 but apparently it's not half as good as those anyway]
Incredibles
Polar Express [didn't like]
Dodgeball

2005:
Charlie and the Chocolate
Fantastic 4
Madagascar [fave of the year - loved this but never bothered to watch the sequels]
Star Wars 3
Narnia
Wallace & Gromit

2006:
Cars [didn't like]
Happy Feet
Ice Age
Night at the Museum [fave of the year]
Step Up
Charlottes Web [we were made to see this at school, wouldn't have bothered otherwise]

2007:
Alvin & the Chipmunks
Bee Movie
Fantastic 4
Hot Fuzz [fave of the year]
The Golden Compass

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 12th April 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #56
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

2006 was a slow year in terms of me going to the cinema. I went to see Casino Royale and Stormbreaker and that’s all I can think of!

2007 had so many more moments! Simpson’s Movie, Harry Potter, Shrek the Third (this was proper disappointing for me) Die Hard 4, Stardust, so many memories!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th April 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #57
Group icon

2005:

Seemed to be a pretty decent year, if unspectacular. 'War Of The Worlds' was good I thought! I feel like a lot of people give it a hard time nowadays but I recently rewatched it and I really enjoyed it again! I also think 'Goblet Of Fire' gets a hard time too. But I think that's more from the fans of the books as this seemed to be the movie that differentiated more from the book than any of the other movies.

'Walk The Line' is one of my favourite movies of all time. My favourite music biopic. Incredible performances and I'm absolutely GUTTED it didn't get a Best Pic nomination at the Oscars, despite being one of the big favourites!

I didn't realise 'Chicken Little' was that much of a hit! Maybe it's just seen as a dip in quality in general as opposed to box office takings. It's a cute enough movie. I enjoyed it more on my rewatch recently than I did when I saw it 10+ years ago!

'Fantastic Four' is another movie I hadn't seen before but I recently watched it and the sequel and actually enjoyed them both! They're extremely cheesy and corny but they have a charm to them.

The less said about that AWFUL 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory', the better. I didn't love 'King Kong' either. SO long for that film when it didn't need to be :\

'Batman Begins' *.* Another movie (well the whole trilogy) I rewatched recently and it holds up really well. One of the best Superhero origin movies.

'The 40 Year Old Virgin' is good fun! So funny. Especially name checking the Queen in an ICONIC scene *.* "AHHH KELLY CLARKSON!" I didn't realise just how big 'Wedding Crashers' was, that's insane! It has some good moments tbh. Like the dinner table scene!

I didn't like 'The Exorcism Of Emily Rose' much, ngl. Maybe I need to rewatch it. 'The Amityville Horror' remake is good. I enjoyed it iirc. However, one of my favourite ever horror movies was released this year, 'Wolf Creek'. Such a brilliant, tense and nerve wracking horror movie. The 2nd one is appalling though. But thankfully this holds up on it's own so I just watch that now. Not seen it for a while actually, gonna rewatch it. 'Saw 2' is excellent too! I think it's the first time we saw "the game" in motio and played out! Again, excellent twists.

'Hostel' is another horror movie that I really love. The "torture-porn" genre is very hit and miss, but when they get it right it's one of the most harrowing and "fun" (?) movie experiences.

'Howl's Moving Castle' is very good. One of just a couple of Ghibli films I've actually seen! Ugh 'Rent'. So boring. I really don't get the hype. Although I saw an amateur production of it last year and it was a lot better, so maybe it works better as a stage show instead?

I've not seen any of the best picture nominess this year. I should watch 'Crash' (I don't want to - but it's too iconic of a win for me to ignore lol) and 'Brokeback Mountain' at least. Jake Gyllenhaal deserves so much more recognition as an actor. One of the finest actors today imo. So under appreciated.

I really need to see 'A History Of Violence'.

OMG just got to the part where you recommended C&TCF! LMAO! Sorry, but I hated it! </3 (I grew up on the original though, so maybe I'm biased - I daren't watch it again lmao)

2006 & 2007 will come later when I've charged my laptop laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th April 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #58
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Box Office Hits -
Bolt - Another solid but not massive hit for Disney this decade with just fine reviews. Bolt made $114m in the US to finish 22nd for the year and I stan the dog & cat in this film *.* however this def feels forgotten amongst the Disney canon nowadays.
Four Christmases - The modern-day Christmas classic with Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn and a big ensemble of famous movie stars is always on TV nowadays and does feel pretty well remembered! It was also a big box office hit with $120m in the US (21st) and $16m in the UK (24th), one of the bigger box office Christmas hits of the year!
Eagle Eye - The Shia LaBeouf thriller was a big hit in the US with $101m (27th) for the year and this was always on TV when I was younger. This isn't one of the defining hits of 2008 but doesn't feel like its completely disappeared.
Hancock - I actually forgot just how big Will Smith was as a box office draw in this decade until this.Hancock grossed $227m in the US (4th) and $49m in the UK (6th), a massive box office hit for an original blockbuster. This does feel like it has faded a bit nowadays though from the mainstream & never received a sequel.
High School Musical 3 - This was the first film in one of the biggest trilogies of the decade to receive a cinema release. Shame it's the only bad one of the trilogy and most people disregard it, with 1 remaining the classic and 2 also remaining a classic and has the most iconic songs bar Breaking Free. #3 on the other hand has a weak soundtrack (bar I Want It All and High School Musical) and messy plot. However it was a major box office smash with $42m in the UK (7th) and $90m in the US (33rd). It was very frontloaded however, it's opening weekend in America made up 46.4% of its total!!
Horton Hears a Who - The Dr Seuss adaptation posted great numbers in the US $154m (10th) whilst was less successful here with $17m (21st). Still pretty good numbers but this doesn't feel like one of the first movies that comes to mind when talking about Dr Seuss cinema adaptations.
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Another classic trilogy received a sequel in 2008 with Harrison Ford returning as Indy and Shia LaBeouf and Cate Blanchett joining the franchise. This received the weakest reviews of the franchise (it was actually quite acclaimed by critics at the time but audiences weren't massive on it) but ofc on name alone it was one of the biggest hits of the year; Indy grossed $79m in the UK (4th) and $317m in the US (3rd). A major hit.
Iron Man - Y'all know this one, the start of Marvel's dominance occurred towards the end of the decade and was massive in showing what the next trend and shift would be at the box office, as the first Avengers film changed the game forever. Iron Man received great reviews and grossed $318m in the US to just take the 2nd spot and $34m in the UK (11th). This ofc harrowed in the usual Avengers first week-of-May opening weekend and is still one of the best in the franchise to date.
Kung Fu Panda - Another massive DreamWorks franchise kicked off this year, with Po the Panda being instantly iconic worldwide and grossing $39m in the UK (9th) and $215m in the US (6th). A major animated hit that is still widely loved today.
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - The 2nd Madagascar film is seen as the weakest of the trilogy and is also the lowest grossing; however it still made big bank with $180m in the US (8th) and $35m in the UK (9th).
Mamma Mia - We love and stan Abba *.* This an all-time classic with a killer ensemble of famous stars, led by Meryl Streep, and many classic Abba songs featured. Mamma Mia was a major hit in the States with $144m (13th), becoming one of the biggest musical hits ever. However the real talking part is ofc the UK, where with £69m/$132m gross, it became the HIGHEST GROSSING film of all time at this point in date. An absolute phenomenon that lasted in the top 2 at the box office forever and just didn't ever stop raking in the money. Truly incredible just how big this smashed. And it still remains widely known today, one of 2008's defining films.
Marley & Me - I always associate this with 2009 (it came out in the UK in mid-March) but was one of the big hits over the Xmas period in 2008 in America, defying expectations for a $143m gross (14th). This is one of the most known dog films and literally everybody talked about Marley when I was younger, a classic <3 also the saddest film of 2008.
Quantum of Solace - Daniel Craig's 2nd entry in the Bond franchise underwhelmed critically and grossed less than Casino Royale in the States, earning $168m (9th). However it still did amazing in the UK with $90m and took 2nd place for the year. This def isn't seen as a Bond classic, as much as ITV1 like to show it.
Sex & The City - The big screen adaptation of the hit American series was a massive success on the screen. S&TC grossed a massive $52m in the UK (5th) and did $152m in the US (11th). One of the defining TV/film franchises of this decade and is often seen as a 2000's classic. Also one of the biggest successes of TV to film crossover this decade.
Step Brothers - Another Will Ferrell comedy, another success (with $100m in the US, 28th) and $12m in the UK (35th). This is seen as one of his best nowadays and has held up really well over time, and is seen as a 2000's comedy-staple classic.
Step Up 2: The Streets - This is the film that box office numbers most surprised me whilst doing this. It wasn't anywhere as near as big in the US as I thought it was ($58m, 53rd) but it was about 5x bigger in the UK than I thought ($21m, 15th). Probs explains why this franchise was so popular here in the late 2000's! A dance movie classic that's a staple of the genre.
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - The 2nd Narnia film underwhelmed massively, with worse reviews and a sharp decline in box office as the franchise moved to summer. Narnia made $21m in the UK (14th) and $141m in the US (15th), good numbers but a sharp cry from its predecessor and it showed very weak legs due to mediocre audience reactions. It was a mess moving this to summer, the first had such a perfect winter feel and was perfect for that time of year.
The Dark Knight - The most acclaimed superhero movie of all time debuted in theatres in 2008 as the middle part of Nolan's/Bale's Batman trilogy shattered box office records and was critically acclaimed massively. TDK was the biggest film of the year in the US with $533m, whilst it settled for 3rd place in the UK with $89m. Gigantic numbers and this was the start of superhero's dominance coming into place.
The Incredible Hulk - However not all superhero films were hits, as the 2nd entry in the Marvel franchise did okay numbers ($15m, 27th in the UK and $134m, 17th in the US) and is mostly forgotten nowadays and regarded as one of the worst in the Avengers canon, with casting replacements for future entries and weak reviews for this one.
Tropic Thunder - the Ben Stiller comedy brought its ensemble cast major success and was a box office smash ($110m, 23rd in the US and $15m, 26th in the UK) and was critically acclaimed. This is still fondly remembered as another comedy-classic from this decade.
Twilight - Another franchise made it's big screen debut this year and would define the late 2000's/early 2010's as Twilight-mania took over. The first film received week reviews but did very well at the box office ($192m, 7th in US and $16m, 23rd in the UK), before doing even better on DVD and exploding with future entries and starting fandom wars forever. A shit film but an iconic one that is certainly still remembered.
WALL.E - Pixar's masterpiece. WALL.E received some of the best reviews ever for an animation and did big business at the box office with $223m in the US (5th) and $41m in the UK (7th). This is still regarded as one of the best animations of all time and one of Pixar's best, the titular character and EVE remain iconic and the film's themes are still relevant today. A 2008 defining film.
Wanted - The James McAvoy/Angelina Jolie action thriller was a big hit at the box office ($19m, 17th in the UK and $134m, 18th in the US) and was always on TV when I grew up. This received solid reviews and is still well remembered, despite never getting a sequel after plans fell through.

Unsurprisingly, The Dark Knight won the year with just over a billion, which it passed with an IMAX reissue in 2009. The Dark Knight reached $400m in the US in record time (18 days) and was only the 2nd film after Titanic to pass the $500m mark in the US. The rest of the top 10 consisted of 3 superhero films (Hancock 4th & Iron Man 8th), three animations (Kung Fu Panda 3rd, Madagascar 2 6th, WALL.E 9th), iconic franchises action sequels (Indiana Jones 2nd with $790m, Quantum of Solace 7th, Narnia 10th) and ofc Mamma Mia with $609m in 5th, which as mentioned earlier became the highest grossing film in UK history until Avatar's release. 2008's box office gross was just $30m under 2007 so it didn't become the highest grossing year. However a big success with six films over $600m worldwide and the top 9 all over $530m.

Iconic Classics
21 - the poker film was a nice box office hit and is a very late 2000's film, including controversial castings.
27 Dresses - The Katherine Heigl comedy was another nice rom-com hit this decade and is fondly remembered amongst rom-com fans
Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging - This was a big British hit and is still referenced quite a bit today surprisingly.
Australia - The Baz Luhrmann epic with Hugh Jackman & Nicole Kidman completely missed expectations at the box office and with reviews and feels forgotten nowadays.
Bedtime Stories - Another major Adam Sandler hit this decade which was more aimed at a younger audience.
Beverly Hills Chihuahua - A Disney classic and box office hit, who couldn't love a film about chihuahua's. This spawned many direct-to-dvd sequels
Body of Lies/Righteous Kill - some iconic team ups (Ridley Scott-Russell Crowe-Leo DiCaprio and Al Pacino-Robert De Niro reunion) that floundered in reviews and box office and made little impact.
Cloverfield - a big box office success (despite being very frontloaded) and ushered in a shift in horror towards success in the found footage genre. This probs should've been in the top category oops. Whilst receiving bad reviews, this flick is iconic and is known for making audiences at the time feel sick when watching this in cinema's.
Get Smart - Another nice hit for Steve Carell & Anne Hathaway this decade, based off the TV.
Fly Me to the Moon 3D - Another one of the IMAX/animation hits that stook around for ages cos of the IMAX appeal.
Fool's Gold - 2008 was full of rom-com hits, this one feels a bit forgotten now but was a big hit for the reteaming of Kate Hudson & Matthew McCounaghey at the time.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - The Jason Segal-Mila Kunis comedy is always on British TV which has probs help keeps its relevance and being remembered in culture. Another very 2000's comedy classic.
Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert - The Disney icon shattered US box office records, opening to $30m despite playing in very limited theatres. This highlighted just how big Disney's success was becoming through its TV properties towards the end of the decade.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Great reviews once again for the sequel but underperformed at the box office because of the stupid stupid decision to release this a week before The Dark Knight (and they didn't learn through releasing the reboot 2 weeks before Endgame). this is still highly regarded though!
Igor - This animation was big when I was younger but I feel like everyone forgets it exists now.
Journey to the Centre of the Earth - This capitalised on the 3D trend early which allowed it to be a big hit.
Jumper - an early 2008 box office hit but failed to start a franchise & feels forgotten now.
Made of Honor - Another 2000's rom-com hit that's always on TV
Meet the Spartans/Superhero Movie/Disaster Movie - The beginning of the end of the spoof films as they began to be oversaturated and each one got worse reviews and worse box office as times went on, with Spartans being the only box office hit.
Mirrors - 2008 really was the year of solidly performing horrors and rom-coms that are kinda remembered amongst their niche's.
Nim's Island - Another children's film that I stanned heavily at the time that feels low-key forgotten about nowadays sad.gif
Pineapple Express - Another big 2008 stoner-comedy hit that's still remembered pretty well today tbh.
Prom Night - The horror remake did well at the box office but received weak reviews. Good cast tho.
Quarantine - the US remake of REC is relevant today for it's title
Saw V - The Saw franchise started to become oversaturated as this decreased at both the box office and in reviews.
Space Chimps - Another animation classic, that I stanned like crazy.
Speed Racer - The big-budget Wachowski's follow-up to The Matrix BOMBED gigantically at the box office, becoming one of the biggest money losers ever. It has developed a cult following overtime though.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Star Wars animation live-screen outing did well but yeah I don't even think Star Wars fans really remember this.
The Day the Earth Stood Still - The big-budget blockbuster for Keanu Reeves did average and received poor reviews.
The Eye - Another horror remake starring Jessica Alba that did solid business.
The Happening - A further collapse into M. Night Shylaman's career with career-worst reviews for Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel. those f***ing trees. this still remains known and iconic for all the wrong reasons and its beyond stupid plot.
The House Bunny - a late comedy classic with Anna Faros & Emma Stone that does feel like its picked up a following over the last decade.
The Love Guru - The end of Mike Myers career and a massive dominater at the Razzies, a messT.
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - did solid business but couldn't reach the highs of the two previous entries as this trilogy died out after a long break.
The Spiderwick Chronicles - A pretty nice hit in the UK was this children's franchise, but it didn't fully take off and never received a sequel and kinda disappeared.
The Spirit - This kind of Sin-City spin-off bombed big time and was a disaster.
The Strangers - Another low-budget 2008 horror hit that's got a good reputation amongst horror fans.
The Tale of Despereaux - Another 2008 animation that is only here cos I stanned it as I feel nobody else remembers its existence.
The X Files: I Want to Believe - Unlike Sex & The City, this popular TV show failed to translate to the big screen and underperformed massively at the box office.
What Happened in Vegas - another 2008 rom-com smash (like Cloverfield this probs should've been in the 1st section) and was another big hit for Cameron Diaz and is still loved by rom-com fans today <3
Wild Child - Emma Roberts' best role & performance by far, this never received a proper release in the US but was a big smash in the UK and was iconic for all teens during this period. It's faded a bit overtime but still gets referenced quite a bit!
Yes Man - Another Jim Carrey comedy hit that feels totally forgotten nowadays
You Don't Mess with the Zohan - Another Adam Sandler comedy hit that is seen as one of his better films and ofc smashed at the box office.

2008 saw a more return to normal after the crazy year of 2007, with many sweeps or two-horse races. However we will start with this year being a game changer in Oscars history. The shock snub of acclaimed superhero flick The Dark Knight for typical Oscar-bait caused a widespread outcry (also added through WALL.E being snubbed too which was likely in 7th place). This led to the Oscars expanding the best picture lineup to 10 films from 2009! Anyway onto this season and Slumdog Millionaire was a gigantic box office hit and swept best picture everywhere, deserved tbh. The only other winner was Vicky Christina Barcelona at the Globes musical/comedy. Danny Boyle also swept for Best Director for Slumdog Millionaire everywhere and the film won 8 out of its 10 Oscar noms, making it one of the biggest Oscar successes of the decade. Also nominated for Picture were The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk and The Reader, the latter causing the controversy by beating TDK to the nom.

The male actor categories saw two very different races. In Best Supporting Actor, Heath Ledger swept for his iconic supporting turn as the Joker in The Dark Knight and he won the Oscar posthousmly after passing away in late January </3 Best Actor was a very strong two-horse race between Sean Penn for Milk and Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler. The former was aiming for his 2nd Oscar whilst the latter was making a big Hollywood career comeback. Rourke won the Globe Drama and BAFTA, but it was Sean Penn who took home SAG and his 2nd Oscar win. The other winner that year was Colin Farrell in Globes Comedy/Musical for In Bruges, who deserved an Oscar nom. Oscar nominations this year saw Brad Pitt for The Curious case of Benjamin Button and Robert Downey Jr returning to acclaim through a rare comedy Oscar nom in supporting for Tropic Thunder. Michael Shannon was a surprise nom in supporting for Revolutionary Road, people certainly weren't expecting him to be the only acting representation from this film at the start of awards season! other nominees were Richard Jenkins in The Visitor, Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon, Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt and Josh Brolin in Milk. Amongst snubs were Dev Patel in Slumdog Millionaire, who suffered category confusion as got a lead nom at BAFTA but supporting at SAG as they tried to fraud him there. This really was the year of category fraud failures. Brendan Gleeson scored a lead nom at Globes & supporting nom for In Bruges and Brad Pitt was double-nommed at BAFTA for Burn after Reading. James Franco also got a surprise globe nom for Pineapple Express in actor comedy/musical and Tropic Thunder scored double supporting noms with Downey Jr and also Tom Cruise, they really loved their comedies that year. Tbh though there were no major snubs in any of the acting categories this year, and the only surprise of the whole season was Kate's category changing placements throughout the season.

Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress was the year of Kate Winslet, as it was finally her turn to be overdue and win her Oscar on her 5th nomination (iirc, it might've been 6th). She had two massive contenders in lead roles in Revolutionary Road and The Reader. In Oscar campaign fashion, she went lead for RR and supporting for The Reader. She won two Golden Globes (Lead in Drama for RR and Supporting for The Reader) and won SAG supporting for The Reader. However the BAFTA's rejected this category fraud by nominating both Winslet performances in lead, where she won for The Reader. And as only one performance can be nominated per category at the Oscars, Kate Winslet was nominated in lead and won for The Reader whilst being snubbed in Revolutionary Road as the supporting category fraud of The Reader was also rejected by the Oscars. (She def would've had enough votes to get both nominated in lead if allowed). So Kate basically had an Oscar-sweep this year across two categories. This allowed Penelope Cruz to win the Oscar and SAG in supporting for Vicky Christina Barcelona as she was the clear alternative to Winslet. Other best actress winners included Meryl Streep taking home the SAG for Doubt and an Oscar-snubbed Sally Hawkins winning the Globes Comedy/Musical for Happy-Go-Lucky. Other nominees at the Oscars included; Anne Hathaway scoring her 1st Oscar nom in lead actress for Rachel Getting Married, a surprise nom for Melissa Leo in Frozen River and Angelina Jolie making the line-up this year for Changeling after her snub last year. In supporting we had double noms for Doubt with Viola Davis and Amy Adams, Marisa Tomei scoring another nom for The Wrestler and Taraji P. Henson sneaking into this category off the strength of her film for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Amongst snubs and other noms at other ceremonies, we had: Kristin Scott Thomas got a lead actress BAFTA and Globe Drama nom for I've Loved You So Long, BAFTA's stanned the acting in Slumdog Millionaire & Burn After Reading with Freida Pinto and Tilda Swinton picking up noms there. Meryl Streep got a Golden Globe nom for Mamma Mia *.*

other key award winners were Slumdog Millionaire and Milk picking up script awards at the Oscars (Slumdog swept screenplay awards this season whilst In Bruges won BAFTA), and Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire took home best song, one of the best winners of the decade. Departures was the winner of best foreign language film (Waltz With Bashir won Globes and I've Loved You So Long won BAFTA) and WALL.E deservedly swept animated film everywhere.

also fun fact: Waltz with Bashir (2008, Israel) was the first animated film to be nominated in the Best Foreign Film Oscar category.

Notable Events -
- 2008 is one of the biggest years ever for movies, comic book films hit the zenith & gained critical respectability, animations were highly lauded, Marvel laid the groundwork and iconic characters returned to the screen.
- Forbes reported that 23 year-old actress Keira Knightley became the second highest-paid Hollywood actress with earnings of $32 million in 2007 for her roles in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) and Atonement (2007), behind Cameron Diaz with earnings of $50 million for her roles in the Shrek films and What Happens in Vegas (2008). Will Smith was the highest-paid Hollywood actor earning $80 million, while second place went to Johnny Depp with earnings of $72 million. Will Smith was the first actor to have eight straight movies take in more than $100 million at the box office.
- Heath Ledger passed away in January 2008 <//3 He was the second performer to win a posthumous acting Oscar.
- The WGA strike ends in February
- Indiana Jones had the 2nd highest grossing Memorial Day weekend debut of all time at the time
- A massive fire destroys portions of facilities at Universal Studios in Universal City near Los Angeles, California.
- As a result of the Disney's Channel wildly popular and wholesome telepic High School Musical (2006) that was popular with a new demographic of 'tweens' or 'tweenagers' (early teens between childhood and pubescence), a spinoff was released titled High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008) - the first 'High School Musical' to open in cinemas and broke the record for the highest-scoring musical opening of all time.
- The Wachowski Brothers' live-action cartoon Speed Racer (2008), an adaptation of the Japanese anime of the same name, was a big flop, with a total domestic gross of only $43.9 million (and $93.9 million worldwide), way below expectations since the film's production costs were over $120 million.
- Actor Will Smith scored his eighth straight $100 million hit movie (his fifth for a July 4th release), with the release of Hancock (2008). He became the only actor in history to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office. His wife, Jada Pinkett-Smith had the most consecutive $100 million gross movies for an actress: 4 films. Her seven $100+ million films included: The Nutty Professor (1996), Scream 2 (1997), The Matrix Reloaded (2003), The Matrix Revolutions (2003), Collateral (2004), Madagascar (2005), and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008).
- The American Film Institute (AFI) another list in its continuing series, 100 Years...100 Movies, this one titled AFI's 10 Top 10, to recognize the top 10 greatest American films in cinematic history in ten major film genres.
- In the Italian film, Cartoline da Roma (2008, It.) (aka Postcards From Rome), Guinness World Records claimed that a record was set for the longest time spent running in a film by one character. It marked "the longest run in movie history." Giulio Base, an actor playing himself, ran (while jogging with his dog) for 1 hr, 14 min, and 10 sec.
- According to the top 100 Celebrity List on Forbes, film producer Jerry Bruckheimer's earnings of $145 million for the year put him in 4th place, one step ahead of Steven Spielberg (at $130 million). The prolific producer's ranking was partially due to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007), the third and final installment in the series that was the top-grossing movie in 2007.
- Activity of film criticism started to move from print form to online.
- Summer of 2008 (defined as the first Friday in May through Labor Day Weekend) was a record-setting, box-office season, with $4.2 billion in US box-office. Super-heroes contributed about 30% of the $4.2 billion gross. The top five films of the entire year, with plots about comic-book and other super-heroes or other-worldly figures, were all released in the summer.
- Director John Woo's epic historical war drama Red Cliff (2008, China/HK) became the most expensive movie ever made in Asia - at $80 million.
- Director Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna (2008) was the first Hollywood feature film about African-American soldiers (portrayed by four black actors) who fought during World War II in the US Army (the all-black 92nd Infantry Division of Buffalo Soldiers) in the European theater.
- The romantic comedy Sex and the City (2008), based upon HBO's 1998-2004 cable TV series, was the biggest 'chick flick' on record at $153 million (domestic) and $415 million (worldwide).
- Co-writer/director Sean Anders' raunchy, R-rated sex comedy Sex Drive (2008) was probably the first US film to depict 'texting' (aka text message) on-screen as a pop-up.
- Saw surpassed Friday the 13th as the highest-grossing horror series in film history at this point.
- Female director Catherine Hardwicke's vampire romance Twilight (2008) earned $70.6 million in its opening weekend box-office, breaking the record for the biggest opening for a female director. At the time, it was the highest-grossing film (domestic) by a female director. Also, A record was established with Phyllida Lloyd’s Mamma Mia! (2008) - highest-grossing film (worldwide) directed by a woman, at $609.8 million (worldwide), yet only $144 million (domestic). This record would be surpassed in 2011.
- Sydney Pollack and Paul Newman passed away in 2008 </3
- The 22nd official Bond film Quantum of Solace (2008) reached the $100 million mark faster than any other film in the 47 year-old 007 franchise - in only 9 days
- From 1986 to 2008, actor Tom Cruise appeared in the most $100 million dollar-grossing films (15 blockbusters), making him the most 'over-paid' actor in big-budget movies.
- DreamWorks, which had been acquired by Viacom's Paramount in 2005, ended its troubled 2 1/2 year partnership with the studio in late 2008. A few months later in early 2009, DreamWorks realized its intentions to reinvent itself as an independent company. It signed a long-term, 30-picture distribution deal with the Disney Company for five-years. Future films would be released by Disney's Touchstone Pictures division.
- 20th Century Fox announced that it would produce a sequel to its hit film Wall Street (1987), with both Oliver Stone back as director and Best Actor-winning Michael Douglas reprising his role as greedy Gordon Gekko. It was speculated it would be titled Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps (2010). The announcement occurred in October of 2008 during the country's major financial crisis, a week after the Dow suffered its worst weekly drop ever - a five-day 1,874-point decline (or 18% of its value), ending at a new five-year low of 8,451.19.

and a new mini section:
FILM DEBUTS: -> these actors made their debuts in film in 2008
Chadwick Boseman in The Express: The Ernie Davis Story
Felicity Jones in Flashbacks of a Fool
Jennifer Lawrence in Garden Party
Jessica Chastain in Jolene
Margot Robbie in Vigilante
Rooney Mara in Dream Boy

Felicity's film is the only one I have ever heard of, oops.

Samantha Recommends:

2008 is the best. So many utter classics. But we do have a runaway top 2. WALL.E is my favourite film of the decade heart.gif I have seen it a million times, WALL.E is the best character of the decade, WALL.E & EVE are the best couple of the decade, the animation is absolutely stunning and all the sequences are BEAUTIFUL, the most perfect and beautiful atmosphere is created, the themes are relevant to today's society and explored wonderfully, the plot is fantastic and the music & score are stunning. Pixar and animation at its absolute best and an all-time classic and fave for me. A wonderful, amazing, incredible, quite honestly perfect film <3

Mamma Mia is another film I watched about 5,000 times when growing up. Ugh this ensemble is just PERFECTLY casted, with Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski and basically everyone just giving iconic life-giving turns and performances. This film is so much fun, the songs are ofc amazing and I have listened to the soundtrack about a billion times (Lay All Your Love On Me is the best song and sequence, other highlights are Honey, Honey, Mamma Mia, The Winner Takes It All and SOS and Gimme Gimme Gimme) but quite honestly every song choice works perfectly. The post-credits sequence with Waterloo is amaze cos that was always my fave Abba song at that time *.* This film makes the best with the iconic material of one of the best ever bands and is an amazing adaptation of the hit stage show, another all time sing-a-long classic. and the sets and cinematography are stunning, and the outfits give me life.

what a year!!! potentially the strongest yet, films I absolutely loved and my honourable mentions are: Four Christmases (one of my favourite rom-com's and xmas films ever, watch this every year without failure), Marley & Me (another all time fave that I associate with 2009 and Marley is the best dong ever), Space Chimps (animation classic), What Happened in Vegas (rom-com classic, Diaz is sfg in this), Eagle Eye (I LOVED this), Wanted (SO good), 27 Dresses (rom-com classic), Revolutionary Road (Kate & Leo should've won Oscars for this), Wild Child (a classic), In Bruges (Colin should've won an Oscar too), Slumdog Millionaire, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, The Dark Knight, The House Bunny, The Tale of Despereaux, Nim's Island, Step Up 2: The Streets,

What are your favourites? what are your movie memories of this year? what iconic movie song did you prefer, Mamma Mia or I Want It All or Jai Ho?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th April 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #59
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

whew, 2009 probs around midnight and then that's wrap!! we're getting there ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th April 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #60
Group icon
User: 13,007

Catching up - oops!

My favourite film from each year's 'box office hits' / Iconic classics

2000 ~ Chicken Run / American Psycho
2001 ~ Monsters Inc / Amelie
2002 ~ Bend It Like Beckham / Spirited Away