BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Avril Lavigne - The Singles Rate: THE RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 6...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Nov 5 2019, 10:52 AM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
We can stay forever young

#20. Here's To Never Growing Up | Avg.6.767

Highest Scores: 10: (Dexton), Lowest Scores: 0: (Tones and Iz)

At #20 we have Avril's last hit of her career (so far) "Here's To Never Growing Up", released in April 2013 as the lead single from her self-titled 5th album "Avril Lavigne" (making this the 4th from that era to drop & leaves only 1 left in the running). The song received mixed reviews and drew comparisons between the song & songs by Katy Perry, Kesha & Taylor Swift. It became an international success with top 20 peaks in Australia, UK, Canada & USA. Looking back at this now it does that feeling of being a last hurrah for Avril on the pop charts, with its rather safe sound & lacks that honesty & emotion that she usually has. Built around a big kick-drum stomp, hand clapping verses & a big pop/rock chorus along with some clean guitar chords, this isn't something new or fresh for Avril, but its a fine effort even if it doesn't show any sort of progression in her sound; it seems that she was rather stuck artistically by this point. While this may not be her best or even one of its still pretty solid.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 5 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I find it quite funny how at the same time Avril released this which sounded like a Taylor Swift song, and Taylor released a single which sounded like an Avril Lavigne song (22).

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 5 2019, 04:31 PM
Post #23
Group icon
A little clue to what's gonna drop next, it will be a second single but from which album?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 5 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
Hopefully not the self-titled. pirate.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 5 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #25
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Smile or Tell Me It's Over surely?

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 5 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I've played the fool for the last time

#19. Tell Me It's Over | Avg.6.91

Highest Scores: 10: (Cqmeron, Dexton), Lowest Scores: 2: (blacksquare)

At #19 is "Tell Me It's Over", released in December 2018 as the 2nd single from her 6th studio album "Head Above Water" and shows Avril tackling a different genre going more towards a retro soul sound & again continues to show the new more mature direction she has taken with her music. While this is nowhere as good as the lead single, but Avril pulls this kind of sound surprisingly well with some good solid production, even her vocals sound different; soulful and deep and in the chorus she properly belts out the high notes with such ease. This song does do a great job of showcasing Avril's growth as an artist, but do feel that its rather simple and doesn't quite pack that much needed punch to make it more interesting and can come off feeling a little boring.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 6 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
Hmm, it's OK but I can't deny it made me lose interest in the era after 'Head Above Water' wowed me.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 6 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #28
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I really like Tell Me It's Over, the chorus in particular is stunning!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 6 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Angels and Devils always fight over me

#18. I Fell In Love With The Devil | Avg.6.91

Highest Scores: 10: (Cqmeron, Prettylittlebry, George.keh, PearlyGirl, DJHazey), Lowest Scores: 3: (Simon, Bjork)

At #18 is another "HAW" single - "I Fell In Love With The Devil", which scores the same average as its predecessor, but placed higher due it getting more 10's and was slightly higher, but the lower & middling scores it got towards the end caused it to drop. Released in June 2019 as the 4th single from her most recent studio album "Head Above Water". Lyrically the song is about a toxic relationship she maintained while suffering from Lyme disease & no prizes as to who this is about wink.gif. Avril has never sounded more stronger or more vocally confident as she does on this album and this is certainly a prime example of that, its a very well crafted song with a cool gothic tone and while this may not to be everybody's taste its still a strong offering overall.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post Nov 6 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #30
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
Devil WAY too low one of my favourites of this year!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 7 2019, 08:47 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Everything's changing when I turn around

#17. Mobile | Avg.7.425

Highest Scores: 11: (Riser) 10: (...ready for it, DJHazey), Lowest Scores: 5: (Nick F1, Prettylittlebry, Bjork, Bill Cipher)

At #17 we finally lose one of Avril's debut era singles, "Mobile", released in 2003 as a radio-only single in Australia & New Zealand, but was given a physical release in the latter country as the 4th and final single there where it peaked at #26. The music video was shot in December 2002, but remained unreleased until 2011 when it leaked online. It's unknown why the video wasn't released, however it has been speculated that it could have been a conflict with her label, not fitting the album's style, or simply not deemed good enough (who knows). I can kinda see the point with the video (it's pretty lame), but that aside the song is very decent with her vocals wail over waves of acoustic & electric guitars with lyrics of Avril trying to get her head around the pace of her new life, both in the music industry and as a young adult. It definitely fits that theme of teenage angst during her early years and this is one of the great examples of that. Despite getting one less rate than every other song in this competition it still managed to score higher than everything else that's come so far.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Nov 7 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I never ever new mobile was released anywhere.

Anything But Ordinary would have been my next single choice.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 7 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #33
Group icon
You make me wanna scream

#16. Hot | Avg.7.553

Highest Scores: 10: (….ready for it, George.keh, PearlyGirl, Bill Cipher, DJHazey, Doug), Lowest Scores: 4: (Bjork)

At #16 we have "Hot", released in October 2007 as the 3rd single from her 3rd studio album "The Best Damn Thing" & upon release the song had mixed success with top 10/20 peaks in Canada, Australia, Austria & Ireland, while in the USA was a commercial disappointment by only peaking at #95, as well as peaking at #30 in the UK (which was her lowest peak at the time). A definite highlight on her 3rd album with it's cool new-wave styled verses and punchy pop/rock chorus that soars over its massive production, but as for its single release, I felt that it came rather soon, especially after the massive first 2, in which this simply doesn't really compare as its the type of song that needs a bit more time to grow on you & maybe if this pushed to 4th then it could have worked better, the music video was kinda awesome though and really dig the sexy Avril look even if does go against what she stood for before, but still a great track though.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 7 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Break the tension
I have a really soft spot for 'Hot', gotta admit.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 7 2019, 04:03 PM
Post #35
Group icon
The next one to drop will be a 3rd single, but which one...

+Quote this post
bpdbryan
post Nov 7 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,938
Nobody’s home next...?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 7 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #37
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
aww Hello Kitty is fun, you're all no fun. I mean it's cringy and probably kinda bad but better something funny than something that just leaves me tired at the reductiveness of it all (yes that's you here's to never growing up you unimaginative piece of crap xx)

Hot is cool, probably one of the first real good ones, by and large this has gone well, oh, and Mobile, which really deserves top 10 <3. Avril has a good top 17.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 7 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #38
Group icon
There will be another entry coming later this evening, any guesses as to what that will be, like I said its a 3rd single and the choices are 'I'm With You', 'Nobody's Home' or 'Wish You Were Here'

C'mon guys I cannot make it more easier than that... rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 7 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
hope its not Im With You, easiest her best song

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 7 2019, 11:14 PM
Post #40
Group icon
You're always there, you're everywhere

#15. Wish You Were Here | Avg.7.714

Highest Scores: 11: (Jonjo, Prettylittlebry) 10: (BiLLYx, troublepink, DJHazey, Bloodjerdling), Lowest Scores: 3: (Tones and Iz)

At #15 and surprisingly nobody guessed correctly "Wish You Were Here", released in September 2011 as the 3rd and final single from her 4th studio album "Goodbye Lullaby", the song was praised by critics who deemed as a highlight on the album with Avril showing a rare vulnerable side to her. Upon release it wasn't given a full European release in markets such as UK or Germany (probably because of the lack of response to the previous single) and therefore success was rather limited with mere peaks of #64 & #65 in Canada & USA respectively. Unlike the first 2 releases this track is definitely more a representative fee of album, more raw and stripped back where Avril's vocals just lets rip on the beautiful chorus with some gorgeous looping acoustic guitars loops throughout the stellar production. This is a excellent example of her growth and maturity as an artist & its a shame that this got so criminally overlooked during its release as this deserved so much more. A stunning highlight in her discography & shame this was the last "GL" single as "Push" could have been the perfect follow up to this.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:59 PM