BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hints of a new album on the way, Hints of a new album on the way
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Laura130262
post Jul 17 2020, 11:15 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265
I have listened to a couple of the clips and I really liked what I heard. Fresh and a new direction but with his distinctive lyrics.

I hope he saves them for a proper commercial album and not just UTR4 cool.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jul 18 2020, 02:46 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I hope he adds California Christmas to The Christmas Present re-release or add it onto UTR4 as it was such a fab track.

There's loads going on for him musically which is great.

I don't feel like we really need a 'Best Of' album, he already has 2 greatest hits albums. Well I guess a decade has past since In And Out Of Consciousness but he's not really had that many hits in the 2010s.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jul 18 2020, 07:15 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
I do not want another 'BEST OF ' , a Christmas album Part 2 would be good timing, anything else in the current climate would be a bit of a waste as I doubt he would he able to promote it properly until probably 2022 & then a tour he following year

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Jul 18 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I definitely don't want anymore "best ofs".

New music only please Robbie. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jul 21 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
Just coming to back to the electronic dance sound, Indestrucible (Project Money Remix) from UTR 3 is one of my favourite Robbie tracks so I'd love more music like that from him.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Jul 21 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I wonder if Soul Mekanik will have some input to the album , it's what they do along with the PSB's

Mekanik Now On Duty

Their contribution to Robbie Williams' 'Rock DJ' may have gone unacknowledged, but Soul Mekanik, aka brothers and acid house veterans Kelvin Andrews and Danny Spencer, are now earning kudos in their own right for their dynamic and eclectic '80s-influenced debut album, Eighty One.

The '80s is often viewed as a period that good taste not only forgot but consciously made a decision to bypass. However, although the music of that decade is often the subject of ridicule – it provided the inspiration for electroclash after all – for every shoulder pad-clad, mullet-sporting New Romantic non-entity, it was also a time when great electronic music started to take hold and it’s this aspect of the '80s that Soul Mekanik, aka brothers and acid house veterans Kelvin Andrews and Danny Spencer, have focused on for their debut album, Eighty One.

“It’s when we first experienced the music that shaped us,” Kelvin explains. “It was the start of post-punk electronic music and there were no distinctions between disco, funk, hip-hop, electro and early house. When we started to record the album, we thought it would have been great to have had a time machine and go back to 1981, knowing what we do now.”
Unlike the opportunists who reference this chapter in music’s past to make a quick buck, Kelvin and Danny have been involved in making and playing music for years. Andrews was the resident DJ at renowned UK club Golden and released a cover version of Derrick May’s ‘Strings Of Life’, while Danny worked as a remixer with Kelvin as Sure Is Pure for acts like Aretha Franklin, Sister Sledge and The Doobie Brothers. Danny also enjoyed a brief brush with fame himself as the vocalist on Candy Flip’s version of The Beatles’ ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ and appeared on Top Of The Pops.
“They only asked me to do it because they couldn’t find anyone else,” he recalls. “I was only 19 and was running around with loads of money in my pocket having a laugh!”
However, the brothers’ subsequent brush with fame, when they co-wrote Robbie Williams’ hit, ‘Rock DJ’, was a less positive experience.
“He was a mate of Kelvin’s and he was hanging out in the studio when we were trying to do a track based around Barry White’s ‘Ecstasy’,” Danny says. “While it seemed like a matey situation, when it came down to receiving credits for the song we were pushed out, although it should have been a three-way split. We should have got an agreement down on paper, but my advice is don’t work in pop music, it’s full of sharks.”
Soul Mekanik's debut album is certainly an eclectic mix. Charmaine Baines appears on ‘Basement City’, which boasts the rolling drums of new romantic icons Japan’s ‘Visions Of China’, and which contains the telling line, “we like music and know how to use it”. There’s also the deep electronic groove of ‘Robots’, inspired by the Kraftwerk classic of the same name. Is there a danger that Soul Mekanik could be perceived as producers who have few original ideas and are just skilled at appropriating classic releases?
“We’re not trying to become a parody of our idols,” Kelvin answers. “This album nearly drove us insane. We started off with about 40 tracks and whittled them down to 12: we would have released a double album if we had the choice. Sure, we were inspired by Japan, The Tom Tom Club, and Kraftwerk, but these are acts that always influenced us”
“Electronic music is still at the cutting edge thanks to new technology and, even after 25 years, we haven’t lost our passion for it,” Danny concludes.

hotpress.com/music/mekanik-now-on-duty-2801577

+Quote this post
Better Man
post Nov 10 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584
I'm sure Soul Mekanik brothers will get their input on a new album.

Just put here again for preparation to next spring smile.gif
My fave ones start on 38 min & 43:30 min

This post has been edited by Better Man: Nov 10 2020, 10:10 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Nov 10 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Rudebox 2

Will definitely get the attention of the press

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Nov 10 2020, 10:40 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Better Man @ Nov 10 2020, 09:08 PM) *
I'm sure Soul Mekanik brothers will get their input on a new album.

Just put here again for preparation to next spring smile.gif
My fave ones start on 38 min & 43:30 min

I want the album to be a surprise , I'm guessing Guy will have little to do with this type of album as it's not really his forte so there may be input from many sources including SM

It;'s really nice to have something to look forward to but this album will not be toured & given the genre I doubt it will so maybe he is also working on another studio album , one that he can tour in 2022 when is the earliest we can expect any sense of normality when it comes to touring & huge crowd gatherings

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 11 2020, 12:33 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 10 2020, 10:29 PM) *
Rudebox 2

Will definitely get the attention of the press

I bet his manager has got his head in his hands at Robbie uttering those words. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 11 2020, 12:37 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 10 2020, 10:40 PM) *
I want the album to be a surprise , I'm guessing Guy will have little to do with this type of album as it's not really his forte so there may be input from many sources including SM

It;'s really nice to have something to look forward to but this album will not be toured & given the genre I doubt it will so maybe he is also working on another studio album , one that he can tour in 2022 when is the earliest we can expect any sense of normality when it comes to touring & huge crowd gatherings

I don't think this can be a normal album can it?

"The spring" is only four months away and we're in the middle of lockdown.

Maybe it will be a fan only release not a big brouhaha release?

+Quote this post
elisabeth1973
post Nov 11 2020, 07:03 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,130
I also think it will be a fan album. Either there will be a 'normal' Robbie album end of the year 21 or in 2022 and the next tour in 23 :-(

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 12 2020, 12:21 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I wonder why he's waiting so long to announce the re-release of the Christmas album?

I thought last year when it came out was earlier than now?

Maybe they still think it's a bit early?

I know a lot of people are putting up Christmas trees earlier this year because it's been such a depressing year - so I think if anything - he could do better with it this year than last.

+Quote this post
elisabeth1973
post Nov 12 2020, 06:41 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,130
Hadn't he done well last year?...aside of the horrible Christmas show? I understand that tomorrow a CiN charity single is out with Rob's involvement. I think that the week after he will announce the e-release. There had been pictures shown on Ayda's insta when Rob we with his make up team (the one when Colette sings Taylor Swift). I assume this was for pre-recorded interviews. The fact that we do not see something does not meen he is doing nothing (I hope)...still wonder about Switzerland though :-)

+Quote this post
Better Man
post Nov 12 2020, 08:17 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Yeah, agree with Liz.
Usually Rob does all promo (incl.adverts) at the same time collecting all opportunities together at one point.
I think they will announce the re-issue on Nov-20 before charts news in the evening.

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 12 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I wonder if he will do any performances to advertise the re-release?

This post has been edited by Laura130262: Nov 12 2020, 11:50 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Nov 14 2020, 04:35 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
There should be something happening soon, will there be live performances, I doubt it , if he travels into the |UK he has to do the isolation thing does he not

How I wish thing would get back to normal, I will never take anything for granted again

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 15 2020, 12:49 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 14 2020, 04:35 AM) *
There should be something happening soon, will there be live performances, I doubt it , if he travels into the |UK he has to do the isolation thing does he not

How I wish thing would get back to normal, I will never take anything for granted again

It's hard to imagine any live performances.

I'm guessing it will be pretty low key.

+Quote this post
Better Man
post Nov 22 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I'm in a process of hearing this IG live and Rob gave an opportunity to hear some more snippets from the new album. I like these bits!
If I catched him correctly it's going be a joint project with Tim and Flynn and it's not 100% solo album because they have formed a band of trio (8:15).
Well, why not? smile.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Nov 23 2020, 12:40 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Better Man @ Nov 22 2020, 10:01 PM) *

I'm in a process of hearing this IG live and Rob gave an opportunity to hear some more snippets from the new album. I like these bits!
If I catched him correctly it's going be a joint project with Tim and Flynn and it's not 100% solo album because they have formed a band of trio (8:15).
Well, why not? smile.gif

So is it going to be a fan project then Alex - not a "proper" album?

Just got a snippet rom Upfront - he's going to be on the Aria's on Wednesday?

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:44 PM